Michaels Stores

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.9

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 82 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 72 reviews)

• If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

Good store fun you have a lots of good people working at the store.

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Very positive group of people
    Helpful group of people
    Offered benefits

Cons

Very Low hours!
    Decent pay
    Price checkers barely worked

Time off policies you have to wait at least 30 days to call out of work.
    Very Good company so many ways you can advance.

Like a second family.

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

What other job allows you to sit and color or design Mother's Day t-shirts with kids?

Cons

Keeping merchandise in correct home and having other employees put things where they belong.

Awesome especially if you love art

Current Employee - Cashier in Colma, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Colma, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- welcoming environment
    - fantastic customers
    - attentive and knowledgeable management
    - fun co-workers
    - flexible schedules for students and really anyone

Cons

- not sure if a con, but be sure you can multi-task because you WILL have to answer phone calls while cashiering
    - possible vague questions a customer has, make sure to communicate with your co-workers/managers to avoid issues

N/A

Overall, great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Replenishment Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Replenishment Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Honestly, its fun to work here. My store manager has spent a lot of time cross training me and giving me opportunities most other managers wouldn't do. I told him I wanted to move up into corporate, so he has spent a lot of time training me in all areas of the store. I found a replenishment manager position at another store, so he is going to spend the next few months training me to become a manager so that I can get that job. I've never been denied a time off request and they are 100% compliant with my availability. Generally, getting an 8 hr shift flies by because there is so much to do, whereas, a 4 hr shift drags on due to inability to start a large project. Overall, this is a company I want to stay in.

Cons

Raises are low and infrequent. Also, good work ethic is hard to come by. It mostly depends on who is hired to your store, but I know a lot of very unkind people who have worked in my store.

Consider hiring a spell checker for your SOPs. Also, spend more time in your stores and offer more payroll.

I'm glad I started here

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first job and I started almost a month ago and I think that this is one of the best jobs to start off with. It puts you in the situation of "Oh crap, what do I do?" since there's SO MUCH to do ALL THE TIME. It's really simple really... show that you care and request hours and show up early and be last to leave. Call and ask questions and just be the best there. Don't worry about being the best you can be because you don't know how good you can be until you've been put in overwhelming situations (like really long lines or lists, etc..). It's really a great environment and if you think their expectations are too high, then you're definitely not right for the job. Yes, it is very demanding, but that's what I believe is a great start and will definitely help me down the road.

Cons

The customers are very picky about their e-mails. It's hard to get their e-mails which is why I've told my friends that just started to always have conversations before asking for the e-mails. They'll feel way more attached. Besides that, I honestly can't think of anything wrong with it. I love the job!

Try to be more understanding. People are different. Some are shy and some aren't so maybe try to notice when some people are shy. I'm not but I know one person that complains about that. Also, we should switch over to texts! Multiple people have requested it and I think it will get us a lot more business because everyone has a phone these days!

I like working for this company not the best job but I can see future opportunities.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's nice to work on the sales floor because you can talk to anyone, learn new things daily

Cons

Michaels have over 900,000 skus over 50,000 items all from frames, jewelry, craft, paint, school supplies, seeing, decorative items, cooking and seasonal and floral etc

Work harder recognized employees more give them support.

its a great job.

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working there. my boss is great.

Cons

would consider a full time job..

Incredible growth opportunities if you embrace the culture and processes of the company.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, discount, personal growth opportunities, and an unlimited opportunity to inspire customers and associates.

Cons

Associate entitlement in the workforce. However, this is not inclusive to Michaels.

Lower our company's debt and explore micro market opportunities.

I love my job!

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you are a hard, dedicated worker, there will be plenty of open doors ahead of you. there's so much to learn with product knowledge and store operations. good benefits for employees. very comfortable, fun and creative working environment! resources for school, adoption assistance, etc..

Cons

the pay rates and hours may be considered low for those seeking a busy work schedule, however that changes if you prove to be a value asset to the company, and quickly! unable to continue offering health insurance to part-time employees, but still offers life and vision.

maybe it's just because I think my store is awesome and my superiors have been wonderful mentors, but I am proud to say I work for this company!

Great job

Former Employee - Cashier in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mobile, AL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours to meet my needs, friendly co-workers, most of the customers were great to interact with, management easy to approach

Cons

some of the workers could be clique-ish

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!