Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Middle mgmt

Middle Management (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe discount program. That's it!

ConsYou name it and it's a con to working at michaels.
    If you want to be treated poorly by customers, store managers, and the district manager then this is the place to be. Especially if you want to be treated badly while getting paid nothing!
    You are expected to work incredibly hard but management won't help in any shape or form and you will only hear negative feedback and that it is never good enough.
    WORST retail environment ever!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen to the whole team not just your managers cause they don't have a clue about anything unless it's happening in the office since they aren't the ones doing any actual work.

It once was a nice company to work for. It changedd

PT Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI did get quite a good bit of experience in customer service during my 7 years there. I did enjoy working with the employees, who shared a love of crafting

ConsThey would not provide enough staff to get anything done. A lot of times things wouldn't be completed as efficiently as they could have been due to lack of staff. The pay was not enough to compensate having to do as much work as they wanted you to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe they need to spend more money on scheduling. It seemed as though they tried to cut costs at every corner they could find.

Used me for initial store opening, but was good learning experience

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) Estero, FL

ProsI love arts and crafts so it was enjoyable to learn new things about the subject while working there and to see all the new products coming out. The discount was pretty awesome as well!

ConsI didn't appreciate being hired under the assumption I would have atleast part time work. I worked full time to help open the store and once it opened I got maybe one day a week if I was lucky.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about scheduling and give your employees actual tasks to do rather than walk around like zombies pretending to stock the shelves. We are creative and happy people and all probably didn't expect such a bad experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unrealistic Goals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff discount is great. But bringing in your own coupons is better. Benefits are available, but if you make a mistake, forget getting it fixed. Raises are available yearly, depending on your review.

ConsWork-Life Balance is unattainable. Job descriptions are constantly changing. Payroll is a nightmare. There is no room for sick days. Vacations make you short staffed and you cant reuse those hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider putting yourself in the trenches. Yearly tours are great, but they don't show you what it is like to be in your own employees shoes. Business is important, but unhappy, over-worked, stressed staff don't increase your scores on surveys!!

Nightmare, unprofessional management, favoritism, underpaid, understaffed

Customer Experience Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is great, about it.

ConsWorking here is fun if you're somewhere like floral or framing, but if you aren't a brown noser, prepare to be ripped out of the decent departments pretty fast. The hours are insulting, along with the pay. Since the company has taken a nosedive, they can't afford to properly staff employees and you're always working your tail off for nothing. Hobby lobby pays their cashiers 2.00 more an hour, pathetic.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites, maybe think about putting your weekly schedule up prior to it actually going into effect.

Don't care for this company anymore...

Cashier (Current Employee) Fresno, CA

ProsYou receive 30% discount, a raise every year, check your schedule online, learn new crafts.

ConsMost of the managers are rude for no reason. A few managers get pretty nasty with their words. The pay raises are minimal (13-19 cents/year). Cashiers are always getting blamed for a lot of unnecessary things. Their needs to be a better way to train. They just threw me on a register around Christmas time. Managers have favorites, so it's hard to go up in the company when they pick their friends instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for new comers, need a better system for the long lines

Bottom of the chain

Cashier (Current Employee) Montgomery, AL

ProsNice atmosphere good part-time benefits

ConsPoor management skills litte training no upward advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help new cashiers as far as training. The sonk or swim method does not work for everyone. Not only do employees lose out on creditable information but the company loses due to improper training. There is no room for advancement. The management and associates are nice and it is a friendly environment with decent benefits for part-time workers but overall there is no real job stability and the pay is not enough to sustain or support you much your work does not go unappreciated but it ddefinitely isn't worth the pay. The jib outlook isn't great and the turnovers are constant. Management is apathetic and don't really give tou opportunities to grow and mostly don't carry oit their own managerial duties they dump them on other associates. Great job if you plan on staying there for a short amount of time

Sounds great until you're actually stuck at the register for 3 years...

Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) Mount Pleasant, SC

ProsOffer benefits; opportunities to learn pretty much every position in the store; you could be picked to do birthday parties and summer camp classes; you can also work there and become an instructor

ConsIf you don't get over 20% email collection every week your job will be threatened; Michaels forces the email coupons down everyone's throats even the employees (privacy infringement); they promote the app like crazy which doesn't work; the uniforms are ridiculous; employees OR members of the employee's family are not allowed to purchase certain things; if you're good at one skill...don't plan on ever moving up or getting a raise

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is poor in this store to say in the least. No one is on the same page. Five different managers will give you five different answers to the same question. No one ever follows through. You guys are so cheap that you refuse to pay for the CASH drawer to be fixed? That's pathetic. These guys won't even walk 10 steps to Office Depot in the shopping center to buy Quik-Sort or counterfeit markers and then complain about us taking fake money!!

Terrible - Replenishment team member

Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) Chino, CA

Proseasy job to get, easy job to perform for the most part, 30% discount, not bad if you have another job or school i suppose. customers are usually very nice and polite. you get free cake sometimes from the classes.

Conshorrible pay - minimum wage for working overnight?? don't people usually at least get an extra fifty cents?

horrible hours - lucky if you get 3 days, which usually add up to less than 15 hours total. sometimes you might only get 1 day/6 hours a week. other times they might call you and cancel a day because they "don't have the sales for it".

unrealistic goals - truck team is expected to finish in 5 hours, which is laughable during peak seasons like christmas. even my team leader has said that it is not possible, yet the head manager will still give you a hard time and ask why it was not done in time, and you are pretty much forced to stay until it is done regardless of what your schedule says. It is illegal for them to do that, however they can fire you on account of not having "flexible hours".

no benefits. no chance of promotion or cross training. very little training. some supervisors make you feel stupid for asking for help or where something is. manager chats it up with cashiers and treats truck team like dirt.

Advice to Senior Managementoffer more opportunity. cross train. show more respect to your employees.

Unpleasant

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Port Charlotte, FL

ProsBest reason for working there was the interaction with the customers, not the company.

ConsUpper management constantly changing, poor choice of leadership skills. No support from HR when problems within store were reported. Situations at store level ignored, not investigated. Poor communication from corporate, conflicting information, right hand does not know what left hand is doing.Difficult to reach a human being when calling for help at home office.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real on the actual time it takes to complete most of the tasks required.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!