Michaels Stores

1,108 Reviews
2.9
1,108 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Loyalty needs to be both ways

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Peers are great. Discounts are OK

Cons

Top Management has no loyalty. All decisions are made without department heads input or knowing what is happening.

The company may be successful but start caring about your employees. Michaels could even be more successful.

Madhouse

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met some really great people who I am still friends with to this day.

Cons

They pit their employees against each other to prove to management who really 'deserves' to stay there. They cut peoples hours down to nothing and there is rarely anyone on the floor, which is frustrating for customers. Everything is overpriced.

Corporate does not give a s***

Current Employee - Full Time Management
    Current Employee - Full Time Management

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Getting to work with products i love
    Working with happy people
    Have a good day here and there

Cons

I don't know where to start.
    The corporate expectations are insane, nothing is ever to their standards. I was literally told by a corporate visitor that Michaels is a negative reinforcement company. The literal message to store management is do what I say and shut your mouth. Its their literal cycle of leadership. Also we make mistakes, its up to you to pick up the pieces. We work with all that we have, putting in our blood, sweat, and tears only to get told its not enough. In our stores our customers are always right, to a point where our customers can verbally abuse and threaten us and they are sent a gift card. We are not given the information we desperately need to make them happy on our own, we are just left in the dark. Most of our coupons don't work properly. We are not able to fire poisonous employees and after writing this I don't know what I'm doing.

I love my management, I even realize its not the district manager, the problem is higher then that. I honestly dont know how we can keep a smile on our faces knowing things are going to only get worse from here. im tired of keeping quiet like that piece of paper said that i have to.

Short shifts, crap management, unprofessional management

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Other associates, learning new things, fast paced

Cons

Bending over backwards for rude people, email collection, management

Spend more time out of the frame shop and more time with your front end staff.
    Stop bullying people into being who you want them to be. Least creative workplace for supposedly being "where creativity happens".
    District Manager comes into the store and won't even blink at an associate.
    Very hostile environment at times. Not enough hours but still hiring new people.

Poor management and communication

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A few people are enjoyable to work with

Cons

Disrespect
    Sexual harassment
    Poor communication
    Terrible management

Michael does not value or care about his employees ��

Current Employee - Floral Designer
    Current Employee - Floral Designer

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

I get a discount products.

Cons

It's very frustrating to work in a place I like, doing something I like (I'm a florist, & got a floral designer position in a michaels), helping customers with products I know (I paint, sculpt, diy everything, bake, etc) & work with people I like, yet extremely dislike the corporation, it turns out. I'm part-time, everyone is, everyone will be. I'm at ten hours a week now, I can't live on my paychecks. I am my only income, I own a house & I eat food, along with other things we all pay, ten hours a week covers my phone bill & groceries on starvation mode. I do a good job, I hate to throw this word out but I am an "artist", weather it be what I produce at my floral desk or helping customers on the floor with products I know well, I'm a good fit to work in a store like this & I'm showed no appreciation, instead I'm given ten hours a week, for all of my store-related skill & knowledge. Forget benefits, even if I could apply for them as a full time associate, they're not great but come at a great price. & the amount if perfectly good things that, at least my store, throws out makes me sick from the waste. I refer to whoever is all up in corporate making the decisions as "Michael" & Michael is cheap & apparently unaware of what it takes just to get by. Can't recognize the difference from a cashier in high school & a certified floral designer with a life-long background in art, as we all get the same amount of hours & pay. I have to move on, I simply can't afford to stay, & it's a real shame, for Michael.

Hirer less people, so you can give your associates full right hour shifts, instead if three hour shifts. Give them full time hours so this job doesn't become just a job inbetween jobs, because you can't make a living working here. & stop throwing all of this perfectly good stuff away. Donate it, sell it at a discount, anything. Maybe if you wasted less, you could afford to treat your employees better. Or at least get out of debt ��

Horrible Experience

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They will probably hire you if you apply.

Cons

They barely train you even if it's your first job. Sometimes the lines get really long, and no one helps. Managers seemed frustrated if you have questions, and they are rarely available to help. The cash register system is not up to par, and they change things in the system without informing you. Lots of customers have a problem with the way you handle/fix a problem for them, and instead of telling you, they call your manager so that they can reprimand you. Many times these problems that the customer has with you are not your fault but actually a product of the horrible cash register system. Not to mention the email thing that is the only way you get more hours.

Please update the cash register systems. Please also inform employees of changes. The computer and scheduling systems are TERRIBLE.

Worst of my retail career

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a job in a tough economy

Cons

District Manager was the worst I have ever worked for. Inappropriate comments made all the time and if he finds out you are job hunting... You are done.

Get a clue... People are not what they seem.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The 30% employee discount and some of my co-workers are the only good thing about working at Michaels.

Cons

Open thanksgiving day, and can not even request it off. I have been working there 2 years and have had 2 pay raises. Recently there was an increase to minimum wage and now the new hires are making more than I do. The store I work at is micromanaged. The first peak season I worked here, we sometimes worked 11 hour days with no breaks or lunch. We were only scheduled for 5 1/2 hours and we're told we could not leave until we were finished with truck. Managers do not communicate well with each other leading to more work for the associates.

Stay closed on thanksgiving. Most store sales does not meet the overhead cost for being open on that day. Now that we are live online we can have thanksgiving day sales online only. Treat your associates better and you will have a lower turnover rate, and happier employees lead to better customer service. Have all managers attend leadership and communication seminars.

The company does not care about their employees.

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mainly Mon - Friday no late nights for replenishment team.

Cons

Too many to list here

The amount expected from minimum wage employees is absurd.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!