Michaels Stores

1,151 Reviews
2.9
1,151 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Run Awaaaaaay

Former Employee - Senior Certified Framer
    Former Employee - Senior Certified Framer

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

30% employee discount on top of sale prices. Lots of hours during peak season.

Cons

Too many to list. Poor benefits. No training. Managers have no people skills. Nonexistent human resources. Bottom $ more important than quality of work. Framing department untrained, quantity v quality.

Start over at the top and work down.

Not what it seems

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Discounts on craft supplies. Lots of time off.

Cons

Not enough hours. You will work real hard and get hours before Christmas then your hours are cut to nothing. They say they are hiring more people when the people that work there want to work more but they won't let them. Part-time to this co. is one day a week for a 3 hour shift. Not worth going in. Creativity is a joke!

You get more productivity if you have people work 6 hours a day than 3 hours 2 days. Quit micro managing your stores! Come down to earth and see what it is really like.

Not enough people to work there

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Destin, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun product to work with, customers are crafty and like to try new things

Cons

Not enough employee benefits, too much work for one person

Dont sell your store to a corporation. If you asked for time off you would be treated like an outcast, or fired.

First Job

Former Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Ancaster, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Ancaster, ON (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Some co-workers are great people.

Cons

Little pay, a ton more work for the money, little respect from upper management, poor upper management including poor time management, scheduling and interpersonal skills, and a thankless job

Learn how to manage people as people and not machines and give credit for a job well done.

Will never set foot in the store again.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Folsom, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discounts offered to employees are pretty decent, and they are even extended to all classes offered at each location.

Cons

the tolerance for negative communication between employees (and even from management) on the sales floor and on the headsets is humiliating. After ten minutes of training, don't ask questions or you'll be publicly ridiculed and shamed for not knowing their company policies.

Manage your team and keep the intermanagement bickering and badmouthing behind closed doors, or better yet, don't bring the nasty attitude to work!

Not even sort of nice to work there..

Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

-Decent coworkers.
    - You get the cake-decorating classes for free!

Cons

-Poor management.
    -Hours were complete inconsistent and managers would give their favorites more hours, even when it was not within their availability.
    -There were never enough people covering the floor...usually one cashier and one sales associate.
    -There was a certain manager who would pick a worker they didn't like, and would basically 'bully' them until they left the company.

Honestly, there just needs to be an overall management shift. Also, ACES is supposed to pick the schedule based on availability, so changing that affects worker morale.

Typical retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The customers: for the most part are very specific and know what they want (which makes your job easier, at times harder)

The discounts: everything in Michaels is cheap, with your employee discount even cheaper (and you can use company coupons with your discount as well as competitors coupons) As an employee you get other discounts to things such as movie theaters, airlines, hotels, and restaurants.

Benefits: they have tons of benefits offered just not readily available got to go through hoops and loops and research through HR.

Cons

The pay
    The management
    The hours :because of these three things a very disgruntle work environment is created and leads to problems such as poor customer service, store being a mess overall employees not satisfactorily doing their jobs.

Increase pay rate to compete with other top retail stores.

Frustrated.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount, interesting merchandise, some of the other sales associates were great

Cons

The few months that I worked at Michaels were the most unhappy months of my life. My friends and family always knew that it was a day that I had a shift at the store because I was irritable, quiet, and just generally unpleasant to be around. It is the worst retail environment that I have worked in. I kept hoping that it would improve, but it simply kept getting worse. I'm a pretty happy-go-lucky person, so it was strange that I just couldn't like this place.

Your success as an employee boils down to two numbers: your transaction time and email collection. You have little control over both of these, and the rest of your efforts go unnoticed. As a cashier you are expected to multitask to the point that it ruins the customer service experience. For example, if you are in the middle of a conversation with a customer that you are ringing through, and the phone rings, you must interrupt your conversation to answer the phone. It is extremely rude.

Managers would "sit me down" after the new stats would come out and let me know that I was doing a terrible job. I always felt them peering over my shoulder as I worked, which is not a healthy environment to be working it. Being micromanaged because I couldn't be trusted to work on my own was extremely frustrating.

Also, customers hate giving their email address multiple times, especially if they are frequent shoppers, as giving it multiple times doesn't seem to benefit them in any way. So having customers angry with you just makes it that much worse.

Finally, training for the job is very poor. There is one 4 hour shift spent on a computer, and then you are expected to know what you are doing. Getting in trouble for not knowing what to do/where things are seems a bit harsh...

Consider a better training program. Take the new staff members on a "tour" of the store: overview of product locations, fire exits, back room, phones, etc. Simply reading info off of a computer screen is a waste of time.

Stop email collection, or implement a better customer loyalty program. The current system is outdated and annoys both the associates and the customers.

Loyalty needs to be both ways

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Peers are great. Discounts are OK

Cons

Top Management has no loyalty. All decisions are made without department heads input or knowing what is happening.

The company may be successful but start caring about your employees. Michaels could even be more successful.

Madhouse

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met some really great people who I am still friends with to this day.

Cons

They pit their employees against each other to prove to management who really 'deserves' to stay there. They cut peoples hours down to nothing and there is rarely anyone on the floor, which is frustrating for customers. Everything is overpriced.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!