Michaels Stores

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

So disorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Saint James, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint James, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Getting a job at Michael's is easy enough if you're desperate. They're ALWAYS looking for employees because everyone always quits.

The job itself is easy enough, until they leave you on register by yourself for an hour with a swarm of customers and no one answers the radio to come open up a second register.

Cons

The schedules are very disorganized. I had a problem with my schedule every week that I had to go down and fix.

Paychecks were also usually missing money. After I stopped working there I had to get two more $50 paychecks since I was able to prove that they owed me that money for the hours I worked.

Work on organizing everything so your employees don't keep quitting.

Very poor experience

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Employee discount. Get to work in a craft store.

Cons

Manager and district manager made promises during interview that they did not keep, being able to take any vacation time with my family. Management was not professional at all. Very poor customer service, more concerned about customers getting over on them then creating an enjoyable shopping experience for the people trying to spend money in the store.

Don't focus so much on the few customers that are working the system, focus on the customers who are paying your salary.

Horrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing I have nothing to be putting down for pros. I used to like my job now I dread making the drive everyday!

Cons

Everything what more is there to say but everything. Upper management throw people out like yesterday's trash and bring on their own people it's ridiculous screw everybody that's put in a lot of time

Work for a week in the store you'll then know how to treat your people!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company used to be great

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pros ending when Chuck Rubin took over and brought in his own people.

Cons

All upper management has no respect for what has to happen on a daily basis at store level and the hours required to complete the workload. Management has to run a register or help out in framing instead of managing the store.

Start at the top with Chuck Rubin and make changes because ever since he took over everything went down hill. There is no respect for anyone at store level.

Greedy company treats low totem pole employees like crap.

Current Employee - Material Handler  in  Haslet, TX
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Haslet, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

30% discount on craft supplies that are way over priced.

Cons

Greedy corporate. Doesn't promote from within. Company is in as much debt as it's worth.

Start treating employees better, offer better benefits. We are the backbone, we make your paychecks possible.

less than stellar

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Covina, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people, great products, and the employee discount is fair

Cons

horrible policies and practices make it almost impossible to advance in a "career" here. hours can vary drastically week to week which really screws with the work load

Hint: Take a good look at those who work hardest because they just might be looking for a chance to advance. Don't miss the oppertunity to advance the great ones before they up and leave to FAIRER & GREENER pastures!

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great salary, very seasonal if you enjoy merchandising and reseting displays, you will love it here. New computer systems and easy to read plan on grams.

Cons

Terrible regional managers, Their jobs are always on the line and they make sure yours is too.

If you are looking for a career, stay away.

Middle mgmt

Former Employee - Middle Management  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount program. That's it!

Cons

You name it and it's a con to working at michaels.
    If you want to be treated poorly by customers, store managers, and the district manager then this is the place to be. Especially if you want to be treated badly while getting paid nothing!
    You are expected to work incredibly hard but management won't help in any shape or form and you will only hear negative feedback and that it is never good enough.
    WORST retail environment ever!

Learn to listen to the whole team not just your managers cause they don't have a clue about anything unless it's happening in the office since they aren't the ones doing any actual work.

It once was a nice company to work for. It changedd

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I did get quite a good bit of experience in customer service during my 7 years there. I did enjoy working with the employees, who shared a love of crafting

Cons

They would not provide enough staff to get anything done. A lot of times things wouldn't be completed as efficiently as they could have been due to lack of staff. The pay was not enough to compensate having to do as much work as they wanted you to do.

I believe they need to spend more money on scheduling. It seemed as though they tried to cut costs at every corner they could find.

Used me for initial store opening, but was good learning experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Estero, FL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Estero, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love arts and crafts so it was enjoyable to learn new things about the subject while working there and to see all the new products coming out. The discount was pretty awesome as well!

Cons

I didn't appreciate being hired under the assumption I would have atleast part time work. I worked full time to help open the store and once it opened I got maybe one day a week if I was lucky.

Be honest about scheduling and give your employees actual tasks to do rather than walk around like zombies pretending to stock the shelves. We are creative and happy people and all probably didn't expect such a bad experience.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!