Michaels Stores Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is useful if you're an artist (in 85 reviews)

• arts and crafts enthusiasts ideal job (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • part-time medical benefits being taken away (in 76 reviews)

• We've lost 5 amazing people just this year because they left to pursue other jobs that hired them full time with a crap ton more money (in 74 reviews)

1,422 Employee Reviews

1. You can do better than this!

Former Employee - Sales Staff in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Staff in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Probably the only good reason to work there was for the discount on merchandise

Cons

I dont think management has a real clue about what is expected to be done by their staff. If they had to work a day in our shoes, things would probably change. Now the stores are kept so hot that everyone is wilting just trying to get through their days. They seem to think that the store can run with just two or three people working. How does that help the customer?

Advice to Management

Put on an apron and do our job for a change!

2. Michael's a great job if you like minimum wage!

Current Employee - Private in California City, CA
    Current Employee - Private in California City, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

The discount. Most of my customers are great. There are regular customers I would miss if I left.

Cons

They don't like to pay above minimum wage. If you start to move up and make more per hour the cut you to part time and give you 12 hours or less.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it is worth apying a little extra when you have loyal employees that bust their buts for you day after day. If you're not willing to pay the good employees you're going to have to go to the bottom of the barrel. That creates turnover, which is more of an expense in the long run.

3. Not happy at Michaels Stores

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Sample sales, employee discounts in stores

Cons

low pay, terrible benefits package, the Information technolgoy department is run like a sweat shop. Due to budget cuts all new projects have been put on hold and information technology department sole purpose is steady state and keeping the boat afloat. The CIO would rather hire high paying consultants to do the job rather than provide the appropriate training and invest in his own team. The overall morale of the Information Technology department is extremely low. All the good one jumped ship and the good ones who are left are depressed with low morale.

Advice to Management

Focus in improving your employees by providing oppurtunities

Want to loose your morale, come work for Michaels arts and crafts

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

1. If you need a part time job this is the place to go. 2. They now have coupons comming out the a**. Seems like everyweek there is a 40% coupon and always a coupon through email also.

Cons

1. the pay is higher than most companines in this area but it later evens out because they cut your hours, pretty much you end up getting 4 hour shifts two to three days a week. You burn more gas getting to work than what you are going to make that day. 2. The training is poor. They put money towards the training videos but you won't know until you become hands on. So the communication from the one who physically trains you is very piss poor, especially in the framing department when you have to deal on an everyday basis with customer's priceless artwork. In framing you are trained (if the framing manager is not lazy) maybe two or three times (days) and then after a week you are thrown to the wolves to manage the department by yourself because in most stores no one else is trained in the framing department but the actual framers. I have worked there for going on 6 years and corporate still sees no need to cross train other workers for the framing department which in good economic times makes more money than the store itself. 3. If your a college student, don't expect to get promoted, you are a threat to most store managers. After a year of working there, I inquired about moving up the ladder and was told I had to drop out of college to do that. Disgusting!!! 4. Most times there is piss poor store management with bad ideas, bad attitudes, and poor communication. But they always manage to keep their jobs, as awful as they are, so instead of reprimanding the poor management for their poor decisions and poor behavior, they get moved to other stores and cause the same ruckus and have the same low standards for themselves. Corporate needs to spend money on re-training these individuals to be better managers. 5. Heaven forbid you get sick. You can't call out because of the new infractions in regards to the attendence policy, you loose points for calling out of work. Now people come to work sick and spreading their filth and germs to other employees. Just becuase management didn't want to punish the frequent offenders, those who actually come to work, on time, on a regular basis have to be punish. How fair is this. Ridiculous!!! Now that people are in desparate need you shoved out all of those SOPs and force us to sign due to your lack of sense to punish offenders. 6. One thing they need to realize, THE ECONOMY SUCKS NOW!!!!!!! How many people do you really think are going to come in and spend $150 -$300 on framing a custom piece now? I am aware that people priorities differ but I'm pretty sure that food and a roof comes before framing a picture. Framing sales are low because of this. Framers can't sell to an empty store nor can they sell framing standing on a street corner. Stop blaming and punishing the employees for things they don't have control over. 7. I find it ignorant how the customers get more of a discount than your employees. Employees only get 25% and yest customers can walk in with multiple coupons and receive 40% off.

Advice to Management

As much as you listen to your customer, you should at the same pace listen to your employees with the same amount of attention and consider what they are saying. You think you may know best from a financial position because all you see is the bottom $ but you need to consider it from the employees persepctive. Get on the inside and look out, and I gaurantee your view will change. Corporate could not last one day at the store location if they had to deal with the customers and actually become a subordinate employee. Everyday, you devalue your workforce but its not like you should really care, seeing as how your jobs are safe and your pay remains the same.

6. Don't work here if you plan on ever being sick

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, PA

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Nothing at all, sad to say; not too far from home I guess?

Cons

Long days, irritating customers, management would never acknowledge you, you couldn't leave for the night unless every return and item that people didnt want was put back and that was a LOT of stuff, most you would have to spend 45 minutes looking for. Pay was low, about seven bucks a hour for tiring work. People expected you to know everything about everything No training, just "hey your hired" and they put you to work Also the manager didnt like call outs, so when I called out with the flu in the middle of winter, he stopped scheduling me and didnt have the decency to call and tell me why I wasn't on the schedule for weeks

Advice to Management

Get managers who understand that people get sick and sometimes cant come in to work

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Close to home, that is all.

Cons

NO training upon hire, no feedback from management, chronically understaffed, expected for work non stop, skip breaks, unsafe working conditions, rude managers who never tell you you do anything right, point system for mistakes, but NO training to avoid any, employees expected to clean up (bathrooms, store) with little or no sanitary protection. Horrible, worse job I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Tell your managers to treat the hourly staff like human beings, say thank you to them, train them, treat them with the respect they deserve. All of the negatives get passed along to the customers via, unstaffing, being unable to help customers, messy store due to lack of staff and time to properly stock and restore goods.

They will hire you at an agreed wage and then two days later give you a lower pay rate for no apparent reason.

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Fairly easy work when properly trained. Alot of hobbies and crafts to choose from.

Cons

I was hired as a front end supervisor for a measly 8$ pr/hr, and two days later for no good reason I was demoted to cashier and given a pay cut of 7.20$! per hr. The only explanation I was given of this was that I apparently didn't fullfill the expectations of a supervising position, even though I had only been on the job for TWO days, and was left all alone at the front of the store to figure out the way things worked. Also I had NO back-up cashiers for when lines got long. To say the least it was very humiliating. I quit that same day.

Advice to Management

Don't hire your employees based on lies. Don't believe the lies other employees tell you about new hires, without first-hand seeing their work. Don't put any new employee in their work area WITHOUT any training, because no matter how much experience in retail someone has, EVERY store works different.

Learning to swim in shark infested water

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eureka, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eureka, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Exposure to a lot of interesting products Increased access to coupons in addition to an employee discount that is also offered to immediate family

Cons

Understaffed Way too much time spent on petty tasks (e.g. signing a 'cashier log' because a customer abbreviated their city while filling out a return slip, calling a supervisor to get register tape that is locked up while the line grows). Underpaid Poor training program

Advice to Management

At the very minimum, Michaels NEEDS to have a STRUCTURED training program; the computer course on the register isn't enough by itself. Your new employees don't magically know what EC, POG, OARPI, DA, etc. stand for, you need to TEACH them. You have to show them how to do overstock, be able to read carton labels, how to use the RF gun. Retail everywhere is cutting back on hours and raises, but when someone is promoted and still barely making more than minimum wage, there is a real problem. Communication is lacking, come up with a better system to communicate special sales, events, etc. to ALL employees.

Corporate Direction/New Infraction Alerts

Current Employee - Floral Designer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Floral Designer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

My short commute is the best reason and the tremendous positive feedback from my repeat customers (complimenting my work).

Cons

The constant changing of rules/sops and weekly if not daily faxes/e-mails of pictures of silly if not stupid designs to follow (aka, make up 100 of these to sell!) when I've been changed from full time with benefits to part time w/out benefits.

Advice to Management

Think through new plans carefully before spitting them out and fire people who have no professionalism for their position, ie. the person who devised new floral design plans and then had to revise many times causing untold confusion in stores. Get rid of CEO who is has-been from Ben Franklin/old style Wal Mart and bring back guys like the prior CEO from Safeway who have vision and sharpness for cutting edge ideas/upscale plans.

NOT in the job description

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Relaxing job when you're not unloading the trucks/stocking the shelves. Most of the time mgmt would work with you about schedule conflicts.

Cons

Low pay, not enough hours. Definite favoritism when it came to who they scheduled to arrive at 5a.m. and unload the trucks/stock the shelves. Negative atmosphere when it came to management to employee relations. Reminded me of high school. If I wake up at 5 in the morning twice a week and work hard while I'm there, give me more hours for the rest of the week. >$200 paychecks are helpful when you're in the store practically alone stocking shelves when its still dark outside and you are already looking for a reason to go home and sleep.

Advice to Management

Hire employees with better work ethics. Spend more time on the hiring process and training new hires about the layout of the store instead of just sticking them in with terrible coworkers offering little to no help. Be fair to all employees instead of making the same new employees work the same worthless hours.

Showing 1,422 of 1,436 reviews