Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally"
    in 55 reviews
  • "I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to"
    in 60 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Seasonal Cashier between Thanksgiving and Christmas

Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsFestive and artsy surroundings, flexible hours, employee discounts

ConsManagers played favorites; they would give promotions without really giving every employee and opportunity to apply for that promotion. Difficult to get hours unless it was Christmas or Black Friday. If you think it's the place to further your art career or craft career, it's not unless you become one of the manager's favorites. The pay was nothing to really brag about, but I didn't expect much working retail anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not EVER play favorites.

It's okay

Cashier/Sales (Current Employee)
    Lexington, KY

ProsThe new discount is great, the starting pay is good, flexible hours, relaxed staff and management

ConsCustomers can be very rude and are very particular about their coupons. The technology in my location is very outdated. Cashiering can be very boring in the off season because of lack of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate puts too much emphasis on minor things such as email collection, and cash register organization rather than focuses on things that could actually improve the company such as better product selection for things to sell. Too much investment in things such as "Boo dolls" and One Direction and now enough investment in things people will actually buy.

No recognition for hard workers or seasoned employees

Replenishment Manager, Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOpen minded work environment, and good discount.

ConsTraining is poor. The company is all about saving every penny they can so they can maximize profit.. Pay is a joke, and knowing how to work the politics is a must to get anywhere. Michaels Cares? Right.....

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees what they are worth. Recognize seniority, hard work, knowledge, and promote accordingly. And stop telling associates that everyone is expendable because that does not encourage employee loyalty and job satisfaction. This should be common sense for a multi-billion corporation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bottom of the chain

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Montgomery, AL

ProsNice atmosphere good part-time benefits

ConsPoor management skills litte training no upward advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help new cashiers as far as training. The sonk or swim method does not work for everyone. Not only do employees lose out on creditable information but the company loses due to improper training. There is no room for advancement. The management and associates are nice and it is a friendly environment with decent benefits for part-time workers but overall there is no real job stability and the pay is not enough to sustain or support you much your work does not go unappreciated but it ddefinitely isn't worth the pay. The jib outlook isn't great and the turnovers are constant. Management is apathetic and don't really give tou opportunities to grow and mostly don't carry oit their own managerial duties they dump them on other associates. Great job if you plan on staying there for a short amount of time

Use to be a great compnay

ProsThe people I work with...We try so hard every day to assist customers and just run the place efficiently..

ConsNot enough associates to do the above, too few hours, unrealistic goals....junky, over priced, cheap dollar store merchandise has replaced the quality arts and crafts supplies this company use to sell...

Advice to Senior ManagementIf corporate even sees these pages, go back to being a quality arts and crafts supply store...get rid of the junk, bangles, clothing, stuffed animals, glow sticks that do not glow, cheaply made storage solutions, art tables and floral containers.........I miss the old Michaels, when I actually use to buy things there....

Does Michael's Discriminate management jobs according to your age?

Sales Associate\replenishment Team (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsThe customers and the associates that work at Michael's. These are the best things about working here.
    You can learn so much from some of the customers just by asking about their project. I personally have learned about ways to do crafts that I never knew.
    The discounts for associates are really good when used with other discounts.

ConsThe store I work at does not give an associate a chance to move up based on their qualifications and years of service. Could be a corporate thing I am not sure.
    They do not train people well or long enough to give that person complete confidence in their job duties.
    No standard used for what department an associate works.
    They only allow you to work under 25 hours a week. That is until Christmas time and then you may get a couple more hours. That means you could work for Michael's for 10 years and you get no benefits and no paid vacation. They rather hire more employee's then to let the associates that they have get more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI may be old school but I still believe if the employee has shown ability to do well at Michael's and they have seniority they should be your first choice for advancement.You should not discriminate because of their age. If this person has not met or exceeded the job requirements as an associate then you should not give them raises and create a big ? In that associates mind as to why they were not given the opportunity they deserved. You are suppose to make sure that any associate that applies for a management job has at least the proper amount of time required as an associate before you promote them. I am about to quit because this is the second time I have been turned down for a management position. Yet I have been given associate of the month award, numerous safety awards, made head of a certain department and have always been able to be there and willing to do whatever is asked of me. Both times I had more years at Michael's then the associate that was hired. The second time management did not even show a professional side by calling me or telling me at work that I did not get the job. The only reason I can come up with for not getting advanced to management is my age. I am 50 years old. Wow I must be ready for the grave.

Good Starter Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with. Better employee discount now. Good craft supplies available. Great store manager. pretty flexible with time-off requests sometimes.

ConsFew hours/pay rate. Little room for advancement/full-time hours. Lots of turn around. You are needed to wear many hats.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack up not over your store managers.
    Appreciate your good employees that you have....not when they've left.

Not a bad place to start out.

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsAlmost all the workers are quite nice and friendly. Lots of choices for products and it offers a good discount for the employees. Specially when you get appreciation week. Also has Michaels Cares for people in need.

ConsLittle training. I was hired as seasonal and with the crowds that we originally got it was frightening and quite disconcerting.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a stable schedule. It is hard to plan a weekend when you don't know when you are going to work.

As a company, it was obvious that Michaels Stores made an effort to make their employees happy.

Replenishment Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job for a college student. I worked replenishment and management worked with my schedule on days that I had class right after work (let me go early; schedule changes). It's a good environment to be in if you like crafts in any way.

ConsIf you're looking for a career, this would not be the job to have. Everyone working there, except a handful, are part time. During the summer (slow) months it is possible to work only 8-12 hours a week and can be sent home regularly.

Great if you're a cashier or sales associate

Support Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsFun environment, nice customers, good hours during the holidays, pay starts a little above minimum wage.

ConsNot enough hours year-round, hiring more people rather than giving current employees decent hours. Lied about how many hours I'd be getting if I accepted a promotion, said I could keep my current position and my promoted position so I would get more hours, then decided to cut my old position without asking what I would prefer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to people just so you don't have to interview new people, stop hiring new people when you've got people who have been working at the store for 3+ years only getting 5.5 hours a week. Treat ALL of your employees with respect, no playing favorites.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All 828 reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.