Michaels Stores Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1,500 Employee Reviews

sick of the place after a week

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newington, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newington, CT

Pros

25 % discount for employees

Cons

my employer never gave me enough hours, everyone who worked there was on their high horse, most co workers asked me to do THEIR tasks, its not a good place to work at at all i would NEVER recommend any family or friends to work there.

Advice to Management

train your employees better and needs to pay more attention as to what their employers are doing because i wandered off most of the time since no one was looking after me.

2. Exhausted in Arts and Crafts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA

Pros

Ability to be creative when working with customers to inspire them and give them ideas on how to do various projects.

Cons

Corporate management is too far removed from the reality of working in the stores. Hours have been cut to the point where there are one or two employees covering the sales floor unless they are called to be a cashier. I have worked many times when there are only 4 or 5 people working. Now there is a new policy in effect - we must provide "World Class Service". In my store we already did this, but if no employees are scheduled there is no one to wait on the customers. Then only random customers get the surveys that we are scored by. Many older customers don't have computers, others are busy and don't want to be bothered with them. Some of them are cranky when they walk in the door. They often get upset with the corporate policies, things we have no control over, but they (the customer)criticize us for following them when we're just trying to do our job. Accountability and management skills aren't monitored enough for middle management (district/store mgrs) I've been working here for almost a decade and am treated as if I know nothing and have been told to not speak unless spoken to on conference calls as if I'm not intelligent enough to make a valuable contribution. So much for communication and being part of the team. I often am not given the information I need to do my job, I have to search through emails and "Moogle" and hope that I haven't missed anything.

Advice to Management

Too much micromanagement of figures and reports that compare apples to oranges and lemons wastes time that could be used in a more productive way. Look through employee files for people who have been around for a while and ask their advice before spending money on consultants who don't fully understand what we do. We could give you suggestions for free and the money saved could be used to add hours/employees to deliver the customer service to make your company successful!

3. Cannot Recommend

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Hours, Pay, Vacation Availability, Flexible Schedules

Cons

Lazy Coworkers No advancement potential Little to no raise each year Likelyhood that they will go out of business

Advice to Management

Respect lower level employees

what the he** are they thinking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

my fellow store employees the employee discount most of the customers can be a very creative, fun place to work

Cons

fluctuating policies contstant e-mails that need immediate response lists of things that must be done now ever increasing payroll cuts

Advice to Management

if no one at corporate has noticed...the more you cut hours, the lower our sales go. first class customer service is hard to provide with 3 people on a black friday night. No one on the floor to help people and not enough people to run registers. Had a corporate visitor last week who completely ignored customers! great example. Most of our stock is in back room or overheads. that equals missed sales. but not enough people to get the $ to the sales floor. pick a policy and stick with it! researching it first might help. moving tech support to India was a huge mistake Store of the future is a complete failure, this is a service based store. you have to be able to provide the service. new procedures such as asn receiving don"t work half the time, but the store is still responsible for the extra payroll hours. All in all ,this company is going downhill fast.

Might be OK if you're a student

Current Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX

Pros

If your expectations are low, this can be a really fun job, most of the other employees are really awesome and fun to work with, the customers are usually pretty cool, and as an artist myself it's kind of nice to see all the different supplies that are available

Cons

it's really hard to get enough hours for a fly to live on except at Christmas, don't expect more than minimum wage- ever.

Advice to Management

You might be able to retain quality employees a little better if you were willing to pay more and give reasonable hours- otherwise expect to keep seeing a high turn-over rate. If you hire someone for a particular function and then have them doing something else, don't be surprised if they leave quickly.

Bottom of the barrel in retail and compensation.

Former Employee - Cashier in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Warwick, RI

Pros

I was paid eight dollars an hour to stand in front of a cash register and pretend that I wanted to be there.

Cons

- Absolutely no respect from customers. - Company distributed too many coupons that did not work on most products. - Management did not train and/or give knowledge on products being sold in store which led to much confusion during transactions and questions from customers. - Weekly hours were as low as eight a week compared to an agreed twenty five hours a week position upon hiring. -Khaki pants. No body likes khaki. - Supervisors were aggressive and rude for no apparent reason.

Advice to Management

The management for the most part in the store was fine to deal with. Mainly one or two supervisors were always no matter what a hassle to deal with.

Great Until Corporate-Minded Manager Waltzed In

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Goodyear, AZ

Pros

* Fun people to work with. * Had decent hours in the beginning. * Had an actual career ladder in the beginning.

Cons

* Awful, awful corporate-minded manager who bullied and intimidated their way into everything. * Very low store morale: Info was always scarce / mismatched, secondary management was always at odds with manager, super low hours, low confidence and execution from supervisors. * Favoritism * Work environment was always unclean and murdered my sinuses.

Advice to Management

Give it up. Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's have you guys crushed, even from an employee happiness standpoint. If my manager was an actual example of how you guys really are, I'll be shocked if the company will exist past the rest of this year.

Corporate has lost its way

Current Employee - Department Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Syracuse, NY

Pros

-working with customers on their projects can be challenging and lots of fun -working with kids for demos and classes is great -most co-workers are nice people -most co-worker are very dedicated -opportunities for advancement within stores

Cons

Work Work is very physical. Lots of lifting, working on ladders, unloading trucks. Not enough time to get jobs done. Too few employees in the store to help customers, keep cash register lines short and cover framing department. Environment "Energy conservation" program of last summer put air conditioners at higher temps in the stores. CNY is already hot and humid in the summer; customers search for air-conditioned stores. Customers were unhappy. Paper products curled. Glue on packaging dissolved. We threw away lots of product because it was un-sellable We were constantly over-heated, dehydrated, hot, tired. We are not allowed fluids on the sales floor or at the registers. Understandable policy if temperatures are controlled correctly, but does not work when your employees are experiencing heat exhaustion. Store Management Store managers are salaried; no one else is at the store level. Hours are so lean that store managers must regularly work extra long hours to get things done. No real training for dept managers on up. Lots of managers could definitely use training in people-skills.

Advice to Management

Upper management: you have lost your way. Be innovative ...... forget what you learned in business school. Your PEOPLE are your biggest asset. We are the face, the heart, the soul of Michaels. We are the ones who most influence what the public associates with your brand name. Consider that not every cost is figured on an accountant's calculator. Consider the intangible costs of respect, motivation, dedication......three words that can make or break even the largest company. A company that respects its employees treats them well. In return, the company gets a motivated and dedicated work-force which goes above and beyond the call-of-duty.

A terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lady Lake, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lady Lake, FL

Pros

The only reason I can think of to work there would be the 25% discount but even that is limited to certain items

Cons

Michaels is a heartless company to work for. They only care about profits and manager bonus' at the end of the year. the employes are underpaid and under worked, the Aetna "benefits" are the absolute worst i have ever seen and the over atmosphere on the few days you are scheduled is stressful.

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn that a store cannot run itself. Michaels in Lady Lake Fl opened with 64 employes and of those original 64, only 12 remain. People are working to make money to live on. people cannot survive on 10 hours a week and pathetic hourly wages. management doesn't care. management wants year end bonus'..period.

The treatment and pay are an insult to anyone.

Former Employee - Framer in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Framer in Beaumont, TX

Pros

The people that were not in higher management were wonderful . Just one dept manager who has been there for a long time cared about employees.

Cons

Manager does not go by policy when promoting... he hires his friends... so no chance of management advancement. You will be expected to work when needed on your days off , if you do not you will be given an attitude. Called on days off and asked job related questions. Help management do their job. Short staffed most the time and expected to work hard and give up a personal life. The pay is not worth the stress.

Advice to Management

Maybe instead of worrying about the all mighty dollar you should consider your employees , most of which bust their butts for little pay . I suggest you listen to the feed back of your employees because word of mouth is the worst or best advertisement you can have. Make sure that management holds up to policy's.

Showing 1,500 of 1,515 reviews