Michaels Stores

1,055 Reviews
2.9
1,055 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Few hours, fewer hours, and no hours

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the managers are nice and consistent, the work itself is interesting (if you like crafts and/or framing). I don't have a lot of complaints about the work itself. It's a pretty typical retail job, but because the store is smaller than a big box store, it's a bit more personal and you get to know your co-workers and managers.

Cons

There is absolutely no training. There are so few hours available that no employees in our store have even been afforded the time to take the Michaels University training. Even hands on training is limited, and poor. Hours are cut and cut and cut. Some employees only started with four hours per week, and the ones who started with 25-30 are cut back to 19, then 14, then lower. We have a great first aid kit, but there doesn't seem to be much concern with safety.

Train the employees. If you're going to offer part time hours, then actually give out part time hours. Fewer employees and longer shifts. I don't think you should advertise that you provide jobs to an area when you only provide 4-10 hours per week for employees. Establish a safety team to address concerns in the store.

Enjoyable if you find the right mix

Former Employee - Framing Department Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Framing Department Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule .
    I generally worked 9-5:30 and missed the bulk of rush hour traffic.
    Great discount.
    First dibs on clearance markdowns (I got my first Christmas tree $199- >$19.99!!!)
    Stays busy and the day goes by fast.

Cons

You don't get much time off and you've got to be there awhile to get it.
    Insurance was okay, but it was never explained well enough to understand and use.
    Customers yell at you when their framing isn't done on time.
    Overtime rare.
    Mandatory meeting attendance and work around/on holidays.

When you've got good people working for you, who do their job well, trust their judgment or they will leave you. Sure you can just hire someone else, but it's still your loss.

Corporate is not as creative as you'd think

Former Employee - Product Designer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Product Designer in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the category, there are occasional comp shopping trips that can be very inspiring. If you haven't traveled overseas yet in your career, there's regular trips to China for hands on experience (after awhile this can become a negative to most people). The benefits are okay, about the same as most corporate companies in DFW. The work-life balance is good, there's not a whole lot of after hours or weekends. There are occasional events that require a Saturday or Sunday's work but they aren't frequent enough to be a problem.

Cons

The re-structuring of the product development process was a terrible move. The buyers have all the control and the product brand managers think they're designers and basically tell the designers what to do. As a product designer, you will basically be reduced to slapping pictures on a page and calling it a 'style guide'. Unfortunately those pictures are ones the buyer and PBM tell you to use. Designers are basically production artists and art directors to China, without the title of Art Director. The management is useless and they don't appreciate, respect, or foster true talent.

The culture is very negative in the sense that you won't get ahead by actual skills, talent, and/or hand work; it's basically a competition of who can 'play the game' and kiss the most behind. They've isolated the passionate designers that actually have the experience and skills to be great leaders but because they're not doing the 'look at me' routine, they aren't 'engaged enough'.

If you ever want to create a truly creative, inspiring culture, promote the people that put in the actual hard work, have unmatched talent, and experience. There is a well known notion that the only people that get promotions are those that kiss the most behind and compromise their integrity to get advancement. In my opinion, an excellent manager is someone that has rich experience and knowledge that I can actually learn from. I shouldn't have to be teaching my manager about my job.

I'd also recommend to let the designers actually design. The purchased art, art direction to China, and jumping through hoops for the buyers and PBM's is a practice that kills any creative person's morale.

Overall negative experience

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, decent pay for framers, enjoyed putting frames together, discounts on products, management has improved a bit, enough time for breaks and lunch.

Cons

Customers were more often than not rude, closing shift employees must clean bathrooms, unrealistic sales goals for framers, lack of communication and training for new employees, inflexible scheduling, dishonest salesmanship is encouraged for custom frame employees.

Make more realistic goals for custom framers, often goals would conflict one another.

Stay Away...

Former Employee - Cashier in Plover, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Plover, WI

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good for a part-time job, however, you do not work many hours. Coworkers are fun and the atmosphere is fun for someone who enjoys crafting. Sort-of flexible on hours, however you must be able to work on weekends when traffic is higher.

Cons

There is a reason this company is always hiring. People are constantly quitting because they cannot get enough hours. Another downfall is that management stresses email collection too much. Yes, emails and marketing are important for a business, however if a customer does not want to provide an email, nothing a cashier can say will make them give it out. Employees are constantly being compared to each other on their email collections and are sometimes publicly humiliated (in front of customers and coworkers) when they do not get enough emails. Managers made the employees cry a few times after being disciplined over email scores when in reality, it is based upon luck.

Relax on the email collection a bit. It is a good marketing tool but employees shouldn't be stressed to the point of crying and quitting over it.

Laughable

Current Employee - Replenishment Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Replenishment Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Almost none besides the discount

Cons

Corporate pockets profit instead of putting money into stores in the form of hours. Zero over time.

None

A lousy company/employer to work for

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The hard working people I worked with
    -The employee discount

Cons

As a cashier, the work experience isn't too bad. But as a customer experience manager/ front end supervisor... it is the pits. You could do a lot better else where. You are underpaid for all the sweat and blood you pour into your job. You are often stressed and over worked on busy days... WHY??

- The store is majorly UNDERSTAFFED. You can find tons of other reviews about Michael's being understaffed. We get lots of customer complaints about it. A huge store and we don't have enough people on hand to help customers cause often most will be on register. Night shift, they expect us to run the store with only 3 - 4 people (not counting the framer). ARE YOU SERIOUS MICHAELS?? And this is during holiday seasons too.

- Stupid Email collection. The customer's are annoyed by it. Cashiers are annoyed by it. Customers can just get the dang coupons online on their phone. Most don't want to sign up! Can you stop forcing it down their throat without a better incentive?

- UNDERPAID. I made around $9 as a front end supervisor.

- Customers. Need I say more? A few can really ruin the next few hours of your day if not your whole day.

My managers were awesome, don't know about other stores. I only have problems with Michael's corporate and how they run their company. My coworkers work so hard and are so undervalued. Email system is inefficient.

#1 thing you need to fix: NEED MORE STAFF working during holiday season at least. You guys are making almost double during holidays yet you're still working with the same number of staff. Ridiculous. Greedy corporate is greedy. Not enough hours for cashiers because they hire too many people. (hours range from 8-16 hours/week)

Fast Passed making the time go by very fast

Current Employee - Office Support Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Office Support Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great store management in all departments. Everyone works well together and are helpful in all situations.

Cons

Low pay for work expected and dealing with very rude customers at times.

Remember that a happy employee makes a huge difference. Be realistic in your work expectations and pay. Try keeping your dedicated employees

Was a fun job, not anymore.

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great. Its a fairly small team, so getting to know people is easy. They are good about working with your schedule if you have another job or are going to school.

Cons

Too many pressures from corporate. One week they tell you to do things this way, the next week you have to do things a different way. The overall communication between management and associates is almost nonexsistant so even when you are supposed to be doing something you never know about it until it's almost too late. Associates with any sort of tenure get crap for pay. Yearly raises are not high enough so staying motivated to stay with the company is hard because you can't pay your personal bills.

Look into paying your employees what they deserve and stick with a plan once you have one. Always changing things makes for a lot of stress on your employees.

its okay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

this company is okay. its pretty crap

Cons

customers are crap. management is crap. everything is crap

more ppl

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!