Michaels Stores

Profile Unclaimed

Never Again

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like shopping there so the discount was a plus. I also learned a lot from working there.

Cons

I never received any actual training. My first day as a cashier I was shown how to push the buttons and login on the register and then left alone to figure things out. I was yelled at by the store manager in front of a huge line of customers and coworkers for making a mistake involving the store policy on gift cards. I never received any information about it and I was ignored when I asked for help. I was reprimanded several times for having to change my shift because they scheduled hours during my school hours. I was told to put my availability on the company's employee site to fix this issue but was never given my login information. I was told to stay late and until closing on a few occasions even though it was beyond my state's restrictions for someone under 18. I also witnessed the managers and my coworkers being extremely rude and disrespectful to customers.

Make sure that management at the stores are supporting their staff and implementing training for new hires.

Never Recommend- Even to shop!

Former Employee - Framing, Floral, Cashier, Stocker in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Framing, Floral, Cashier, Stocker in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The store next door was nice.

Cons

Poor management. I was hired work in framing and floral, But never got to do that. I was a cashier and a stockperson which included unloading trucks. I had to file a complaint of Managements prejudice actions and I wouldn't quit even though he was trying to get me to do so. It became a stressful and unhappy atmosphere for me.

I hope Texas does a better job picking management. Possibly talking to the employees about their managers "anonymously".

Very unprofessional place to try to work.

Former Contractor - Crafts Instructor in Towson, MD
    Former Contractor - Crafts Instructor in Towson, MD

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

As a craft teacher you receive free materials to teach the class and to make your projects. There is an employee discount.

Cons

No advertising to help tell customers about the craft classes. Given a small amount of space in which to work.

Treat the craft teachers as a integral part of the store and allow better advertising about the classes to be held.

Watch your managers better

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of my coworkers are awesome.

Cons

Some of my managers think the rules don't apply to them. They are rude and nasty to new employees. no wonder we can't keep anyone. Also, paying more would be nice. We don't get paid enough for the amount of work we do. You pay minimum wage, you get minimum wage workers.

Pay more and you'll get better workers.

Awful and annoying as... well you know.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Katy, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

During the regular year they managers are usually fairly accommodating, still extremely rude but after talking for bout 20 minutes longer than your break went and getting yelled at for being on break extra (even though you told them your break was ending) they would help.

Cons

The starting wage changes often. Usually making the brand new employees get paid more than current employees. During the season it is absurdly busy. And management becomes even worse. They ask you to work one day before your shift is originally supposed to be, then they make that your new availability and try to write you up if you want it back. They stop allowing time off. Even if you worked there for two years 6 days a week. They suddenly decide you aren't allowed to only work 5 days one week even though you had a doctors appointment and gave 3 weeks notice of said appointment. Only care about sales. Employees are all considered worthless. Customers are treated even worse than employees.

Allow time off and if upping the starting salary make sure someone who has worked for you for two years doesn't end up making 75 cents less than the brand new people.

Miserable experience, no teamwork, lazy coworkers, workhorse mentality from management.

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Thirty percent discount is the only perk I can think of. If you are creative and enjoying buying craft or art supplies you can use your discounts along with coupons and sale/clearance items.

Cons

No benefits, no paid time-off or vacation. No sense of team work. Some coworkers just don't care and are slow and lazy. Management expects you to accomplish way too many tasks in a four hour period and I find they have a workhorse mentality. You get a 15min break and are told when you are to take it. Immediate manager is new and with very little knowledge, which makes things harder than they have to be. You are told to do one thing by one manager and something different by another resulting in a complete waste of your time because you have to re-do things. Managers are not all on the same page.

Provide thorough and knowledgeable training to new hires. Have the left hand talk to the right hand! Instead of complaining about employees and threatening to get rid of them, be proactive! Hire knowledgeable managers.

Used to be fun

Former Employee - Former Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Former Operations Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You form a special bond with your some employees kinda like a second family.

Cons

Having your store manager that you worked side by side with for years get fired for no reason other then the DM didn't like them.

If you're looking to move up the ladder be prepared for disappointment because depending on whether or not you are a suck up you're not going anywhere. You do however get the wonderful pleasure of watching positions become available that you're going for get filled by some outsider fresh off the street with no experience whatsoever.

The assistant manager bridge training program is a laugh. There's 3 conference calls in a years time span that you take for a total of roughly an hour each. For all you math geniuses out there that's 3 hours outta 8,760 a year you listen to somebody read you a packet that's sitting in front of you. 3 hours and you're considered a freaking expert and ready to move up. Are you kidding me?!?!?

If you enjoy having people from all angles jump down your throat to get emails while your up on register, and basically having your job threatened every other minute because you don't have enough, then Michaels is the place for you!! Stop looking at only new emails and look at the total your associates are getting. There's a big difference in getting emails altogether and getting only new ones. Don't penalize people because they're getting repeat customers and therefore those emails don't count even though they were punched in.

There are way to many times where DM favoritism is abundant. If you are part of a store that enjoys sucking up then you are sitting pretty on a pedestal. If you're a store that pushes to be the best and work hard at everything and you don't suck up well then you are outta luck and you become an unexpected target and put on the "naughty list." You don't stand a chance, EVERYTHING YOU DO IS WRONG!!!

HR I thought was supposed to be an unbiased party that you can go to with issues or concerns and they will try to help resolve the problem at hand. Well I've discovered that unless your name badge says store manager under your name then your voice doesn't matter. And sometimes if you're a store manager with a bullseye on your back then HR is a lost cause for you as well.

I could go on for hours bout all the cons I've seen in the many years I've worked with the company

Pretty much can read the above and know that there is sooooo much more I could have added. I think the fact that I've said a lot and stopped writing due to the fact Id never stop writing in the con section of i were to continue, should say enough on its own. All you upper management need a rude awakening because you're just horrible to your associates and even though you know it to be true you don't care or change and that's just plain ignorant. You want to hire happy, friendly people how bout you focus on making your current employees happy by treating them with the respect they deserve. Oh and I laughed when I heard the new company motto "we are one." Quick question to end this with who the heck is included in the "WE" portion because it's definitely not the employees that keep your business/stores running??????? Without us you'd all be irrelevant but that doesn't seem to cross your minds at all.

This was once a good company to work for.

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At this point in time, it's a job. You'll learn how to work with inadequate staffing levels, impossible goals, and a crushing workload.

Cons

Too many to list. I was expected to run a store on minimal staffing. At many times, I would have one cashier, one sales associate to cover the entire selling floor, and one framer. It is impossible to meet standards on this level of staffing. When private equity took over this company in 2006, the corporate culture became nothing but cut, cut, cut. Framers were given impossible selling and productivity goals to meet. Every Christmas season, I dreaded the rush to complete customers framing orders. As long as we got the sale, it didn't matter if the customer was happy or not. As staffing levels decreased, store managers had to increase their workload. I won't even go into stocking and planograms on minimal staffing levels. The company preached customer service at the end, but did not provide the resources to make it happen.

The quality of field management also went downhill. This applied to store, district, and regional levels. Long term management was being forced out, and were often replaced by people of lower ability. My district manager only cared about whether the windows were painted, and not about in-stocks and merchandising. This clueless individual liked to come into my store at 4:45 p.m. just to ensure that we would have to stay all evening to tour the store. I would not have minded so much if I could have actually learned something from this person. In my career, I've worked for people I liked and people I didn't. My last district manager was the first whom I had zero respect. Long term district managers were fired and replaced by these lower quality people. It was very obvious that age discrimination was taking place.

Have respect for your people. Don't change dress codes at the drop of a hat to people who make minimum wage or slightly above. Provide appropriate staffing levels in the store.

The true Michaels.

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It used to be a good place to work.

Cons

I was a manager for Michaels for 18 years and thought I would retire with them. I was terminated for "work performance". I was doing the same job as my peers, always had one of the best inventories in the district and always had good audits. I feel I was terminated because I did have 18 years and had a higher salary. I was replaced by some one half may age and most probably at half my salary. I have had several (10+) friends and peers also get terminated for the same "work performance" reasons. All of the people had 15+ years the same as I did. Names can be provided. Not sure if this is company wide but it is happening in the Southeast area ( Alabama, Florida & Georgia). I also had DMs tell me that it "was just my time". These same DMs told me that they were told to weed out the older ones(managers).

I see the comments from people about the pay and raises and I do understand what they say. As managers were told to give less than adequate appraisals so the raises did not have to be so high. We were given a dollar amount ($0.00) to spread to all associates in the store. Never was the amount over $5 or $6 dollars. You were to spread this between 20-30 associates based on their appraisals. You can see where they would only get the minimum that was to be given.

You were/are all about customer service. But then you would cut hours so bad that you would have only 1 or 2 associates on the sales floor during operating hours. Managers were so office driven that they weren't even on the sales floor to offer assistance.

When I started to work for Michaels I was PROUD to work for you. Now it was all a really BAD dream.

So disorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint James, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint James, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting a job at Michael's is easy enough if you're desperate. They're ALWAYS looking for employees because everyone always quits.

The job itself is easy enough, until they leave you on register by yourself for an hour with a swarm of customers and no one answers the radio to come open up a second register.

Cons

The schedules are very disorganized. I had a problem with my schedule every week that I had to go down and fix.

Paychecks were also usually missing money. After I stopped working there I had to get two more $50 paychecks since I was able to prove that they owed me that money for the hours I worked.

Work on organizing everything so your employees don't keep quitting.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!