Michaels Stores Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1,433 Employee Reviews

1. Management sucks your soul and makes you feel completely unimportant.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goshen, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goshen, IN

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

the only thing you can really get fired for is not showing up. Management tends to over look alot of stuff just to make themselves look good.

Cons

No one cares about your personal life. There is no compassion for anything outside of work. We are constantly overwhelmed with tasks because management ALWAYS under schedules for busy shifts. Many people only get half trained and thrown into the mix with the expectation of knowing how to do everything.

Advice to Management

Change the dress code! we work in a crafts store for chirsts sake we should have SOME opportunity to be an individual and show some creativity. Also, if someone has a Dr. note saying they CANNOT WORK dont punished them for it! This is incredibly unfair. We all need a decent raise. We deal with way to much stuff for what we get paid. You brag about being a 4billion dollar company but we as employees never see a dime of it. McDonalds cashiers start out at more than i make after almost 5 years!! If you are going to have so many ridiculous policys at least have the guts to INFORCE them. I dont care if we anger a few customers, a policy is a policy and you people need to make up your minds!

2. I would've describe it as the worst place someone could've ever worked at.

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Hillside, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Hillside, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

A pro to working at michaels is that you get a 20% employee discount and first look at sale items. The customers are also very nice my entire time working I only came across a few rude customers. Also as a sales associate you get to help customers with ideas on there projects sometimes they're very grateful about your imput.

Cons

The downside is that the boss plays favorites and they show no regard for employee heath problems. Also if you don't end up as a favorite you will only work 4 hours a week. And when I worked there I only made around 65 dollars a month that barely covered my gas to get there.

Advice to Management

I would advise them to treat everyone fairly and evenly distribute hours because everyone has a family that they need to support.

3. chronic headache

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Rockwall, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Rockwall, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

you may work with a few people you wind up liking, if you like crafting then the daily demos are fun

Cons

hours fluctuate from alot to barely any, appropriate wage/raises for work done, completely different customer base compared to other retail stores (psychotic), if you're looking for a job and have no knowledge of the product, management doesn't train for that and the majority of the customers have no idea what they're doing either.

Advice to Management

you need to stay consistent on business growth ideas and have be more realistic

Worst Company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Okay job for students, flexible scheduling.

Cons

District manager has no people skills. Calls people out in public. Micro managed. Overall the company treats employees with little respect.

Advice to Management

Teach District Managers how to treat people and how to act professionally. Conduct a survey that is actually confidential instead of one that the associates answering the questions about supervisors can be easily identified.

6. Liked at first.. now not so much.

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

They have a pretty competitive pay which is nice when needing to pay bills. The management WAS OK. Hours worked for me. Good hours from start.

Cons

They cut hours alot. They start you with 20-25 or more to get you to like the job. But don't get comfortable there they are going to reduce it. The managements attitude slowly got worse and now just sucks I dread going into work every day. The district manager always seems to be in a snappy mood and give you no respect it also seems like she has no sense of humor. They are really rude when it comes to talking to fellow employees. They prefer if you didn't talk at all.(I'm pretty sure we need human interaction). The shift size of 3 hours or 4 hours sucks... I don't want to ride my bicycle all that distance for 3 hours. I wouldn't suggest anyone works here it is a good job for first month or 2 if you need money but stick around like I have and you will have a bad review just like me.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of your employees moods and be more respectful. If you want us to work harder maybe you should show us how fast you want us to work not think of rude this gs to say and take your bad day out on us. If corporate is breathing down your neck then you need to filter out your mood. Managers should have a better way to handle their stress.

Corporate Office needs a wake-up call

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

The store manager, all managers work just as hard as the regular employees, sometimes harder.

Cons

Corporate has no clue how their policies affect their employees in all levels. They hire too many employees, knowing that most of them will get so few hours they will quit. (My scenario) Their stores will never run efficiently with their "first class service" because of their greediness. Only managers are full-time. Regular employees are part time, the store is understaffed, so you have to work your rear end off & try to do 3 things at once, while they get a few more bucks in their pocket because they didn't have to pay one or 2 more people to get things done up to their standards. So they end up with a line of disgruntled customers with one cashier, & disgruntled employees who see that there is no way to have the store run properly with too few employees working. It's hot in the store in the Summer-corporate is saving a few bucks by saving on the a/c, but at what cost?

Advice to Management

Wake up, corporate office!

Hard Work Does Not pay off

Former Employee - Department Manager in Valdosta, GA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Valdosta, GA

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Michaels Arts & Crafts has over 1,000 retail stores-I only worked in one. The only pro I can think of is the customers. Over the course of my five years at this store I was able to interact with some of the nicest customers. I learned a valuable lesson from my time with this company: Hard work and reliability does not pay off.

Cons

Low pay scale; little or no training (sink or swim); management from the store manager and up are dishonest; open door policy is a joke--use it and you will lose your job. Most of the ethical management I came in contact with did not last; hostile work environment. This is the only company I have ever worked for that I was not "proud of" (i.e. poor quality products, lack of teamwork, constant feeling that your position/job was in peril). Honesty was not appreciated.

Advice to Management

Listen to the associates at the store level. They are the ones there every day. Get your district manager program together. Actually invite open communication. If you have 3 or 4 employees telling you the same story, it may actually need investigating. Actually read the comments your associates are making on the yearly management evaluation. Long-term employees are an asset-they know your customers and create a friendly, comfortable atmosphere. Be fair to the little guy.

9. Certified picture framer

Former Employee - Certified Framer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Certified Framer in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't really have any pros to cite about this company.

Cons

A huge amount of time and effort is spent on work that has nothing to do with framing. Framers that reach a "certified" status do so after reading information on a computer and immediately taking an exam. There is no consistent quality control to insure that proper procedures are maintained.

Advice to Management

Run hands on classed to teach proper framing procedures.

No Training for New Employees

Current Employee - Not Sure in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Not Sure in Medford, OR

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been employed by Michaels for over a month and the only good thing I can think of is some of my co-workers are very nice....

Cons

Absolutely no training program Unpredictable schedules inconsistent scheduled hours Schedules posted less than a week in advance and are subject to change at any time without notification. minimum wage employees cannot apply for advancement until employed for at least 1 year employee discount only good on regular priced items Management seems completely out of touch with the needs of employees As a side note, I was hired as an "Instructor", have yet to be scheduled any hours in order to work on class prep, demos, or even for my scheduled classes. I am regularly scheduled to work as a "Cashier" although to date have only received about 5 minutes of training for the position. I continually receive reprimands for having made a mistake I even though I was never taught the correct procedure. As a new employee I never received any type of orientation, was never informed of a dress code (good thing I read employee manual before my 1st day). I was sat down in front of a TV in the classroom where I watched outdated video tapes which explained little of importance besides safety procedures. Was then sent to the floor to work as a Cashier with no real training, no information as to how to sign on to register, and without ever having punched in to the time clock. When I was told I should take a break I had to ask if an employee break room were available. My Store Manager continually asked me to schedule classes even though I was never given any information as to how this should be done, no scheduled time to work on this or a schedule of when the classroom would be in use. After successfully scheduling and booking students into my first class I was scheduled to work as a Cashier during the time my class was scheduled. I find this lack of communication and training to be quite frustrating. Lucky for me I come from a managerial background and am not at all hesitant to ask for what I need. I would not recommend Michael's as an employer to anyone looking for a stable job. One last comment - it is overly hot in the store, this is a constant complaint from both employees and customer's. I was told that the air conditioning is set and monitored by a main office in Texas and there was not a way for us to make adjustments from our store. This is ridiculous in my opinion!

Advice to Management

Happy, well informed employees are good employees! Please take the time to institute a a comprehensive training and communication program. Your customer's will feel more comfortable shopping in a store where the associates are knowledgeable and happy. And turn up the A/C!

Good talk, but no action

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to shop, fast paced atmosphere

Cons

Constant District Manager turnover, very pressure-driven, a 'do or die' type of management style from DM and RVP, they ask you to performance manage, but have NO bench for assistant managers or Customer Experience Managers. Store managers work 12 - 14 hour days. Rotating weekends off can happen - it just doesn't.

Advice to Management

Recruit HONESTLY - talk about the bad stuff. Get a talent bench.

Showing 1,433 of 1,436 reviews