Michaels Stores

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Eh, not enough break. very low pay

Cons

management sucks. worst job ever.

Part time would be an over exaggeration

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

working with art supplies and a small discount for employees

Cons

8 whole hours a week, no real benefits (unless you're full time, which is impossible to achieve), corporate is a bully, and store set up makes no sense.

Terrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Interem Replenishment Associate  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Interem Replenishment Associate in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nothing was positive about my experience at Michaels.

Cons

I wasn't trained at all but was thrown into the fire. On my second day there, the lady I was working with continuously cussed at me because I wasn't working fast enough. I quit after a week. Worst job I've ever had!

Actually train your employees and treat with respect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not sure what's going on

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

friendly co-workers, lot of bullying and back biting

Cons

Michaels just doesn't hire the right kind of people.Supervisors in IT department don't know what there teams are doing and neither have the right background or knowledge to be hired themselves on those roles.Missing accountability.I feel sometimes they don't know what they are doing. Few departments are totally screwed..Not sure where the company is heading

Value your people. treat them with respect, no back stabbing, develop ethics

Very hard work, for little pay

Former Employee - Stock Associate  in  Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Fontana, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best things about working here are your team members, management is horrible and expects the impossible out of workers.

Cons

Hours or getting enough hours was a challenge, the company culture is horrible and they punish every employee if they don't meet sales. Horrible rules for time clocking and even if you are too sick or injured to work you get punished.

Where Creativity goes to die.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Design Studio had the most talented people I have ever met and worked with.

Cons

The leadership is a joke. I've never met more unethical people in my life. They have no idea what true leadership looks like. They disrespect people that have good work ethics. They lie and mislead their employees into thinking they can move up in the company when they have no intentions of promoting anyone based on job performance, dedication, or skills. If you lower your standards/ethics and play their games, you can be promoted. The leadership there rewards those that spy and report on others. Its full of favoritism and shady politics. They preach work/ life balance but do not support it. The workload is overwhelming. Employees are expected to do the workload of at least two people. You will be reminded often, how many people are waiting for your job and how quickly you could be replaced.

Change the culture there. Those in leadership roles are allowed to treat their employees with disrespect. It's a very caddy atmosphere there. Leadership that actually cared and lead by example would be a good place to start.

A Corporation That Doesn't Value Its Employees

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dublin, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts.

Cons

They start you off with a low salary and if your lucky you get a less than 30 cent raise a year. They intentionally have a bare-bones staff so that on paper it appears they have a low operating cost. It was always chaotic and unorganized. The people from corporate are unrealistic in their expectations especially in proportion to the pay.

If you want quality employees, give them quality pay. For a company that made upwards of 5 million dollars per year in a single store, I know you can afford to bump the pay. Also, give more hours to your stores. I know you're trying to be impressive on paper, but don't forget that it's the work of the "lesser" people that fills your pockets.

Taking the passion out of art

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Not very many to speak of...

Cons

I worked for Michael's originally because I fancy myself somewhat of an artist- but quickly learned that like all companies, they just want to turn a profit and don't care about art. I worked in the frame shop and was punished for not always selling the most expensive items. I would retort that I was trying to give the customer what they wanted and could afford. That was never enough. Between this, struggling to get hours and complete production of framed art- enough was enough.

Try inspiring creativity instead of just generating rev inure and maybe you'd have more returning customers.

If you are seeking a job at Michaels, just be prepared.

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Kingsport, TN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are part time and you don't really need the money, then this is the perfect job. Plenty of time off, and no worries for them to mess up daily plans.

Cons

If you are planning on moving up, then be prepared for a very political journey. It is a must for you to brown nose your way to the top, and if you play your cards right you can get all the way to store manager in just as little as a year.

Pay more attention to the working of your stores, look more into the situations than just what your store managers tell you because they could be the very ones causing the problems from the get go.

My experience can't be described in one sentence.

Former Employee - Cashier, Framer  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier, Framer in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Easy to get hired, gives you experience, opens your eyes to just how rude middle-aged and cranky old ladies can be.

Cons

Everything about working at Michaels sucked. I'm not going to sugar coat it. I went in with high hopes. As a person who loves art and crafting, I figured there's no better place to work than a craft store. I was wrong. Don't be misled. They say you don't need craft experience but it helps...no it doesn't. You'll likely get angry parents shopping for school projects and scrapbookers, and those people who like to shop for floral stems and make you bag them all individually. You'll get customers who complain about the price of things to you like it's your fault. They'll complain about company policy, which you have no control over. You'll realize how lazy people truly are one you have to do recovery. I started as a cashier, by the way. That was my title, but don't worry little ones, you'll have to do recovery and many other horrible things. For example, cleaning the bathrooms. The men's restroom always smelled like a dirty animal shelter and if you're lucky like my store was, your managers will lose the keys to the trash and you'll have to dig it out and put it in another bag...our rip the bag out and pick it up off the floor. Your choice. I started as a seasonal employee...prepare to have glitter everywhere if you work at Christmas. People will dust you with that crap like they're the freaking sandman. They will throw stuff at you and they will not apologize. They will get really mad about coupons too. They will ask, 'what do you mean I can't use ten 40% off coupons? Well, I don't want this stuff anymore.' Prepare to wait forever for a void. Then you'll get people who expect you to do 10 separate transactions so they can use all their coupons. Don't. You're only allowed to accept one coupon per person per day...and expect people to get mad about that. To get away from all this, I switched to framing when the holidays were up.I got a great raise...and cut hours. Let me tell you, if you think people at the register are bad, they're a whole new level of horrible when placing framing orders. I can't even tell you all the verbal abuse and stupid crap I and my fellow framers put up with. The best thing to come from this job is the people I met. The pay sucked, management sucked, hours sucked, customers sucked, my life as a Michaels employee sucked. I hated getting up to go to work everyday. And don't expect a full time position, they're few and far between. A Michaels unicorn, if you will.

The whole email collection thing is ridiculous. We get a lot of repeat customers, so it's not like I can get a whole lot of new emails everyday. It's not right for your employees to get written up for not having 25% email collection when it's the customer's right to reserve that information and if they've already given it. I don't want to be penalized for not forcing a customer to give emails. I asked everyone. Also, hiring a bunch of part-time employees and hardly any full time is not great. It got to a point that barely anyone was getting enough hours to pay bills. It was beyond ridiculous. My particular location had a new manager who hired so many new part-time employees that he over scheduled a bunch of hours and then cut everyone's hours to fix his mistake. I got maybe 10 hours a week if I was lucky.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!