Michaels Stores

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly associates, hard working associates

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We are a very customer oriented company and the manager is understanding about our employees having outside lifestyles and work well with our college students. He will work with you when it comes to family problems where he may have to change our schdeules

Cons

Not enough hours to be able to maintain above poverty level

Michaels

Current Employee - Replenishment
    Current Employee - Replenishment

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Working at Michaels is okay. It seems to me people get hired very easy, they of course hire a bunch (about 20 depending on size of store) of people around seasonal time and you basically have 1-3 months to prove how good you are and you will probably be kept.
    The work environment really just depends on how good & bad your managers are. If they are lost & dont really know what they are doing then everyone else is lost too.

The employee discount got better this past year, it used to be 20% off entire purchase regular price items, but thats dumb because there is always a 40% off coupon, so everyone just used the store coupon. Now the discount is 30% off entire purchase sale & regular price, so when the seasonal items hit 80% off and then you get the 30% on top of that its pretty awesome.

If you are available, rarely call out, work hard, & show some common sense you could get promoted pretty fast. They definitely like to promote from within so that is available.

Coworkers are friendly, its a creative craft enviroment, so people are always bringing in bakes goods.

401k plan for everyone, it use to be they met every dollar, I dont know if it is still that.

Cons

Fight for hours, if management likes you, you get hours if they dont you dont. But in my experience the workers who work hard and arent complete idiots get at least 12hrs, I usually get around 20- 35 hrs. It helps if you can do multiple things. If you are on replenishment ask to be shown how to do register/sales floor and vice versa. Management just likes be able to have someone be able to do whatever comes up.

Not a lot of full time positions available, its usually just manager, asst. manager, replenishment manager, front end(sales floor) manager, & framing manager. Other jobs like replenishment specialist & floral designer vary depending what size store or volume store it is.

Higher corporate people have unrealistic expectations, they want everyone to do more with less hours, they start up stupid rules or store promotion things. So you can tell they never actually worked in a store.

glitter everywhere! Especially if are on replenishment team and stocking product during the christmas season, you will be covered in glitter.

Train! Train! Train! People do better when they know what to do and what is expected of them.

Understaffed, terrible store management

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate Custom Framing Department  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate Custom Framing Department in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers were great and I am still friends with many of them

Cons

Head office incentives are only there for the store's head manager, who chronically understaffed our store, asking employees to regularly work 12 hour shifts to make up the difference. This isn't going to be the case for every store, but watching that guy get a massive bonus for working us ragged was too much for me.

Customers were entitled and would demand impossible things and then be given freebies to keep them happy, so after getting reamed out by a customer for following company policy, you would then get reamed out by management for costing them money.

Working in the Framing Department, a few times I made sales that were several thousand dollars (my record being $5,000 on a single framing order) and never once received even a pat on the back or comment from management for making the sale. It was like it had never happened.

Consider the effect of management sales incentives on the hourly sales staff. Long hours, negligible benefits package and no recognition make for a terrible work environment.

Promote more from within. In the store where I worked, the highest you could climb was department manager, if you wanted to get into a salaried store manager position your best bet was to go to another company that did promote from within because they only hired those positions externally.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's alright, but does need a lot of improvement

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people to work with the only thing that makes it enjoyable, store manager not so much he always calls the employees lazy. nice discount though. Managed to get a week off for family reasons after only being there for 2 months. Will work with you to help balance your schedule. Some nice customers hear and there who will bring in cool things to frame. Decent pay

Cons

Bad training, they have you do an online course and it really only teaches you the benefit statements of frames and some framing vocabulary. You get kinda just thrown out to learn on your own. Not enough employees, Nearly impossible to get all the orders done with enough time to make sure they're all done right. Kind of impossible to do quality checks. Which makes for angry customers. Some have a right to be, others are just picky and are verbally abusive. Getting in trouble for not collecting emails for cashiers and for framing that with people's addresses(which feels very odd to ask). If the rest of the store needs help framers are obligated to help, but if framers need help the rest of the store will rarely help out.

Hire more people, have real training procedures for when you do hire people not just some online test after a slideshow. create some realistic goals

Michael's will control you

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount, coworkers, great merchandise, learning about products

Cons

Pay, management, they hate old people, respect

Your employees are humans not robots

Room for Advancement but High Expectations for Small Pay

Current Employee - Framing Department Manager
    Current Employee - Framing Department Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good and there's room advancement within company.

Cons

There is high expectations for small pay. There is no base pay set for the management hourly rates. I don't recommend trying to advance positions too quickly or you may lose out on your pay.

Set base hourly rates for management positions. Framing managers should receive a base pay dependent on the volume size. I don't think the responsibility in a C volume frame shop (or higher) is comparable to the CEM-Events. As a customer once stated to me "you know you're job is important if you must wear white gloves."

Fun and Easy

Current Employee - Jewelry Instructor/Captain  in  Klamath Falls, OR
    Current Employee - Jewelry Instructor/Captain in Klamath Falls, OR

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

This job is fun, working with people is great. I love being able to work with craft items and learn more types and techniques.

Cons

Training could use some work. Spending all my income on new supplies! haha I haven't had any issues with management or coworkers.

depends on what you are looking for

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate/Cashier  in  Murphy, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate/Cashier in Murphy, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people there are nice and everyone gets along. Its a creative environment so if you are creative you will have lots of fun talking to customers about their projects.

Cons

low pay and low hours, only managers get full-time hours and you have to work in a part time position for a few years before you can even THINK of applying for a manager position. The managers I worked under liked to complain about having too many hours and its difficult to balance work and family life. Especially the ones who have kids at home. Also one of the managers I worked for is sexist and to get good hours you have to work your butt off to get noticed.

maybe pay more attention to employees and who work the best and look past their sex or if they are Hispanic or not

Good manager = Good Experience there.....Bad manager = HORRIBLE experience there!

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager  in  Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are surrounded by arts and crafts materials and creative people!
    Good pay at the management level.

Cons

Retail hours, sometimes unrealistic goals for the number of payroll hours given.
    If the DM is getting all of his charts and paperwork done by the store manager, he will let her get away with anything.....up to and including losing good people with her sour attitude and total lack of management ability.

If a certain store can't seem to keep its Customer Experience Managers (ie. 3 different managers quitting within the same number of years), you should conduct exit interviews to find out why. You are losing good people (and not just myself!) because of inept management....and the DM knows it and does't care.

Very poor experience

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Employee discount. Get to work in a craft store.

Cons

Manager and district manager made promises during interview that they did not keep, being able to take any vacation time with my family. Management was not professional at all. Very poor customer service, more concerned about customers getting over on them then creating an enjoyable shopping experience for the people trying to spend money in the store.

Don't focus so much on the few customers that are working the system, focus on the customers who are paying your salary.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!