Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
1190 reviews filtered by

I've grown to dislike my job greatly.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

This is definitely a unique job. All the customers I've had the pleasure of coming to know, and all the projects and ideas I've gotten from working here are phenomenal. The employee discount is quite gracious and the friendships I've made with fellow associates have meant a lot to me.

Cons

The hours are ever changing. Going from 6 hour shifts, five days a week, to 3 hour shifts 6 days a week. They understaff, and then pile responsibilities on the employees they do have and expect everything to get done without these short shifts.

I've experienced two store managers since I've been with the company. I loved my job with the first manager, but my second manager was a nightmare. She would talk dirty about employees to management from other stores. She did not greet customers or try and keep the store clean but would expect us to do so. She made multiple rude comments, called employees inappropriate names and made multiple religious comments towards me that were very unappreciated. Within three weeks of this new management, five long term employees left the company. My advice to management is to treat your employees with respect. Lead by example and be professional.

2. Great coworkers, decent pay and hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were great. They were very flexible with my schedule. It was free to take the classes they offered (like cake decorating), though you still had to pay for supplies.

Cons

pay could have been better. Hours weren't very good either. Were really disorganized when it came to giving breaks and lunches. Policies were always changing and were not always expressed to us by managers.

Communication between employees and management, especially upper management cold really improve. If you're going to make us give you new ideas and suggestions, actually listen to them.

3. good place to work

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Fun place to work. Good discounts

Cons

Workers are rude and training is very bad. No form of order

Be nice

Cool job if you like crafts.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Store manager doesn't give enough hours. No one can live off of $8/hr with less than 15 hrs a week.

Cons

Craft supplies 30% discount is nice.

More flexible work life balance schedule.

6. Kept busy and tight schedules

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Good leadership for team members

Cons

Hard to move up the ladder

7. Michael's Certified Framer Experience

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Everett, MA
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Everett, MA

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Company focused on the employees. Works to create specific goals and opportunities for each individual employee.Great sense of teamwork. Organized objective created at corporate and passes down to the stores.

Cons

There is very little training for a complex position. You will have to be a quick learner as you will need to figure out store processes while performing them. Very sales oriented; if you don't meet your quotas, you will hear about it.

Spend more time training and better acquainting new employees.

8. I worked in the frame shop and loved it, difficult to work with management occasionally, but they're understanding.

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Paid well, loved job tasks

Cons

Management lack of experience. Picking up slack from bad co-workers. Minimum training.

Create a comprehensive plan to train all employees thoroughly- encourage employees to care and invest in company.

Overworked and underpaid

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount for employees was finally made better than coupons that everyday customers already receive. It used to be 25% off regular priced items only (sometimes in the ad for a Sunday, customers receive 25% off sale and regular priced items). Now the discount is 30% off sale and regularly priced items.

Full time employees get health benefits and standard amount of vacation pay

Cons

I started working in a store right before they had their "Store of the future change". Basically this change was just the company cutting a couple full time positions out of every store. Instead of having a few department managers they put one person in charge of the entire stores inventory- including stocking, inventory adjustments, setting planograms, unloading trucks etc. Yes there is a team working with this one manager, however they are paid minimum wage and hours not guaranteed. This leads to a lot of turn over, disgruntled employees, or straight up lazy people. The store managers won't fire these lazy people because corporate has a set number of employees that need to be on the team. Instead of just giving the ones that work hard plenty of hours, they have to share the weekly amount of hours with the lazy people that don't try and actually cause more work for others. These shifts start anywhere from 12am to 5am but they do not get paid any better than a sales associate that works normal hours.
    I'll try to keep it brief about the truck. In this area trucks used to be on Wednesdays, which worked well since it came anywhere from 4am to 9am. After opening the store wasn't too busy on Wednesdays so the focus could be getting the truck done (Corporate gives you 5.5 hours to complete the truck from the second it arrives to getting all the overstock put away. This is only possible with small trucks, which in my store wasn't very often). Then they wanted to save money and changed the truck to Fridays. Fridays are really busy even at opening. This slowed the truck process down causing not all the stocking to get done. Forget even trying to stock over the weekend since not enough employees are ever scheduled. This merchandise that sits in the back then has no chance to sell over the weekend when customers come in looking for it. They then tried to fix this by starting 12am trucks. This failed because now employees sleep schedules are all over the place. Productivity went down and they had to end this after 3 months. If they just went back to trucks on a different weekday rather than the busy days they would save money. Maybe not with the trucks but in the long run with happier customers and employees.

Basically, this company only cares about money. Don't worry though, if they beat a company goal everybody gets a pin on their apron, not a pizza party or extra raise though. I think if they made a few changes then people could enjoy shopping here for their crafts, but as of right now it doesn't seem to be heading in this direction

Pay people better or at least give the helpful part time people more hours. You won't keep many good employees if you only guarantee a minimum of 3 hours a week. How can people depend on this company to help them pay their bills when one week they get 5 hours a week and the next 20?
    Please work in a store for a week. You will see that you need more employees on the floor for the customer service you want/need. Also, its not fair to demand such a strict timeline on completing trucks when we also need to help the customers in the store/ ring up customers since there are no sales associates scheduled.
    Maybe offer free classes to employees that want to learn how to use different products. Its not fun when customers assume you know how to do every craft just because you work here.

Clueless Corporation

Current Employee - Professional Framer
    Current Employee - Professional Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

It is nice to be around people who make things.

Cons

No one is paid as much as he or she deserves. Hours are unpredictable and shift schedules are published on Wednesday for the following Sunday. Workers are penalized when customers decline to reveal e-mail addresses. Corporate's insistence on constantly changing product location only irritates the customers. Far too much energy is spent on silly contests.

Improve wages and scheduling timelines. Give stores the equipment they need to function. Poor cleaning equipment makes for dirty stores. Shoddy technology makes for efficiency lapses.

11. Decent

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

They were flexible with my hours , the customers were great, and my coworkers were extremely friendly

Cons

The store was unorganized and some of the management was not nice at all.

Michaels Stores Photos