Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer service associate

Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate  in  East Falmouth, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in East Falmouth, MA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Michaels has a great store atmosphere..Most other employees are fun to work with and the customers are great 9 out of 10 times. Part time position leaves not much pressure other that 'GET CUSTOMER EMAILS".There is plenty of room for growth is desired.Working in a craft store is great if you are a crafty person.

Cons

The pay is awful for work.Cashiers and customer service make the same amount, all cashiers do is stand at the registers and say "Thank You".You can train a monkey to do that.Time off policies don't seem to be a problem, people call in sick, don't show up and are late all the time and still have a job.Applying for a job at Michaels is difficult and not available to all, I would wonder about EEO.

The company seems to be great to management but not to their average employees.Some of you should try a little crafting.Most managers have no idea how to do much with their hands and need to refer to there associates for help and answers.All managers should be able to assist the average customer with at least the latest trends in crafting.Why do they work here.There is some arrogance with management, get over yourselves, you work in a craft store people.

A huge let down

Former Employee - Scrapbook Instructor  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Scrapbook Instructor in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount
    Ability to see new products and trends

Cons

The Scrapbooking program was poorly run. They appeared to be making a huge effort to run a successful program, but they were not open to input from instructors. Their business model was so far off from competitors, it made selling and teaching the classes very difficult.

This program could have been much more successful if corporate management was not so rigid in their thinking. The local store manager's could have been more supportive and helpful too. Felt like I was working with one hand behind my back.

Great place Run By Terrible People

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate  in  Antioch, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Antioch, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great to work around the craft things you love. customers can be a little uppity but generally give you good craft ideas. co-workers are usually really easy to work with. flexible scheduled. fast-paced environment keeps boredom at bay

Cons

insane corporate policies force managers to become crazy and anal. ridiculous efficiency objectives. you're given a task to complete and then before you even begin a manager comes along and 'puts' you on something else, pretty soon, you have begun 6 different projects and completed nothing and the production loss is seen as your own. from a business stand-point Michael's is completely unorganized with zero accountability for merchandise. I'm surprised they have managed to stay in business as long as they have. I really enjoyed the actual job I had with Michael's ( cashier/picture framing dept) but I despised the corporate environment. I worked there for about 5 years off/on and not once did I get the impression that Michael's corporation really cares about its employees or the community it inhabits. poor pay rates and non-existent raises.

Get out while you can before upper management uses you as the fall guy for their own incompetency or lack of moral fortitude

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low Pay, Company treats employer like trash.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Germantown, MD

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have very flexible hours, I worked here throughout my college career and would always work around my schedule. I usually would only work weekends during school time but summer time they would offer me somewhat more hours. The management was a mess. They would not know how to handle the store during busy hours.

Cons

Management sucks. They treat their employees like trash. You can do a great job doing your duties but you will never get a good job or awesome. They expect too much for how much i was getting paid.

Value the employees like they deserve.

Overall great team of co-workers!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team work. Wonderful co-workers.

Cons

No training what-so-ever. Not many hours (typically 4 hour shifts of maybe 3-4 days a week). Very low-paying for the work put forth. Not enough coverage on floor/ registers. Not enough time to complete tasks and have great customer service.

Train employees on policies, procedures, S.O.P.s. When a "Captain" is assigned to an area, make sure the Supervisor is allowing for the duties to actually get done in their area. Higher wages would be advisable for keeping key employees hired!!

The job was mostly rewarding.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great customer interaction, knowledgeable associates, very hands on without the need to be an expert in anything. Rewarding to get a project just right for a customer.

Cons

There is a disconnect between field management and store management. The expectations changed without any real idea of what it took at the store level to complete your project or goal.

Get in the stores to be an asset to managers and not just to point out failures.

Great store

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Moorestown, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Moorestown, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great managers, all of them. The team members are all pleasant to work with, always ready to help and answer questions. I am very grateful to be part of such a wonderful group of people. The manager works with you as far as needing time off and is very fair and understanding. I love going to work!

Cons

Some of the customers have attitudes that have to be dealt with. Otherwise, I have no cons.

Management is doing their best and I say keep it up!

Great place to work. Friendly associates, great creative customers.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, creative, fast paced, learn something new everyday.

Cons

There is very little monetary raises.

It could be better

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

It's good for a first job

Cons

It's a nightmare if you don't like tiny trinkets and stuff...

Easy work place.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The work is easy, the people are friendly, and this is a job you can do in your sleep.

Cons

Cannot get over 12 hours, and the pay is minimum.

Stop hiring so many new people and give hours to the people working there.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!