Michaels Stores Reviews

Worth the work

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Durham, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While the customers are rude most of the time, the other employess at this location are great. My boss is understanding if we need to switch shifts with each other, she doesn't overload us with work, and if we need extra hours she makes sure to either schedule for some extra days or call us in first when someone calls out.

Cons

Don't always get enough hours to start off with, and can't always find someone to switch shifts with if I absolutely need to be off that day. Small store, so it gets very crowded very quick.

Advice to Management

A slight raise for sales associates and cashiers would be great. For dealing with people the way that we have to do, I believe we deserve to be paid a little bit more. 9$ an hour or so as a base pay would be a good start. Firing people who do not do their job and excessively call out for no reason would be a huge improvement also.

2. Loved working here

Former Employee - Cashier, Sales Associate in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier, Sales Associate in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working for Michaels. As a crafter its a great place to work. I met a lot of people and learned new crafts. Great pay great company.

Cons

At the store I worked for if your weren't "friends" with certain Managers then you pretty much could kiss your hours goodbye, just like I did.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your lower employee's. Some of us happen to value our jobs and the places we work for.

3. Great and fun

Current Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

I love the people I work wit the managers are great

Cons

Being up early sometimes at 3am

5. One of the best job's I've ever had

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was my first job and I was employeed here for three years before leaving for a career that pertains to my degree.The company itself cares about the employees - my coworkers were fantastic, management was amazing, our programs such as birthday parties and classes were fun, and there are significant advancement opportunities.

Cons

The customers were difficult to handle - especially during the holiday season.

Advice to Management

We need to bring back the FES position OR something similar - it isn't fair, even in the lower volume stores, to put that much pressur on the CEMs or the Assistant or Store managers. Especially when a CEM is the MOD. Having an FES will significantly bridge the gap between customers and management.

One of the best jobs!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Everett, WA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my managers - they are amiable and talkative and make me feel like I matter in the store. They thank employees for coming in on days off or coming in early, and don't guilt you when you aren't able to. I've been able to do tons of different things in this store, and the managers always seem to be open to letting me help in new positions. I really feel like I can grow career-wise. They also hire people with tattoos, piercings, and dyed hair and don't treat those who have them differently. They're flexible with availability, as well - some people I work with only work once per week, while others work nearly every day.

Cons

It's SO hot in the summer, I nearly got heat exhaustion several times (started carrying a mini-fan). The email percentage thing is absolute bull and makes no sense - I say this because they don't really give us a good reason for pushing customers for their emails. We need 25% and yet there's some places in employee handouts that tell us we don't need to ask if the customer has a cell-phone-coupon, but no one can take that seriously because nearly every customer uses a cell phone.

Advice to Management

The email thing needs to be worked out - it either needs to be a rewards system or stop forcing it on customers.

7. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, and have fun.

Cons

Great place, i loved working here.

Advice to Management

Great

8. Good store fun you have a lots of good people working at the store.

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Very positive group of people
    Helpful group of people
    Offered benefits

Cons

Very Low hours!
    Decent pay
    Price checkers barely worked

Advice to Management

Time off policies you have to wait at least 30 days to call out of work.
    Very Good company so many ways you can advance.

Like a second family.

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

What other job allows you to sit and color or design Mother's Day t-shirts with kids?

Cons

Keeping merchandise in correct home and having other employees put things where they belong.

Awesome especially if you love art

Current Employee - Cashier in Colma, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Colma, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- welcoming environment
    - fantastic customers
    - attentive and knowledgeable management
    - fun co-workers
    - flexible schedules for students and really anyone

Cons

- not sure if a con, but be sure you can multi-task because you WILL have to answer phone calls while cashiering
    - possible vague questions a customer has, make sure to communicate with your co-workers/managers to avoid issues

Advice to Management

N/A

Overall, great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Replenishment Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Replenishment Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, its fun to work here. My store manager has spent a lot of time cross training me and giving me opportunities most other managers wouldn't do. I told him I wanted to move up into corporate, so he has spent a lot of time training me in all areas of the store. I found a replenishment manager position at another store, so he is going to spend the next few months training me to become a manager so that I can get that job. I've never been denied a time off request and they are 100% compliant with my availability. Generally, getting an 8 hr shift flies by because there is so much to do, whereas, a 4 hr shift drags on due to inability to start a large project. Overall, this is a company I want to stay in.

Cons

Raises are low and infrequent. Also, good work ethic is hard to come by. It mostly depends on who is hired to your store, but I know a lot of very unkind people who have worked in my store.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring a spell checker for your SOPs. Also, spend more time in your stores and offer more payroll.

Showing 1,367 of 1,381 reviews