Michaels Stores

Updated August 16, 2014
Updated August 16, 2014

2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Atmosphere and People!

Current Employee - Wilton Cake Decorating Instructor/Cashier  in  Anderson, SC
    Current Employee - Wilton Cake Decorating Instructor/Cashier in Anderson, SC

Pros

I am currently not only a Wilton Cake Decorating Instructor at Michaels but also a cashier. I work with a ton of people that I get along with really well, and they are really understanding. I started only as the Instructor, and then when I came on hard times financially was told to talk to my store manager about picking up some cashiering shifts and he was more than happy to accomodate. Not only are they willing to work with you but have a great discount program.

Cons

I get paid what Wilton has set up for a payment schedule for my Instructor shifts, but I have heard that the pay is around minimum wage, so unless they are really hard up don't look to get too much more in pay from them right away.

Great place to work, if your full time.

Pros

Great Advancement opportunity for those willing to work hard.

Cons

Part time employee give very few hours, so I can understand the turn around.

Cashier & Sales Associate for 2 years

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales  in  Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Ellicott City, MD

Pros

Respectful management, wellness programs that are fun and engaging, get to know regular customers quickly because it is a relatively small store.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult to get hours, can't move up in company that well if you're just an hourly employee.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place

Pros

Fun working environment,customers are always nice and want to talk to you about their project.

Cons

Not enough hours for employees.

Increase the hours you allow each store.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hamilton, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, NJ

Pros

Great place to work. Amen.

Cons

You have to wear a uniform.

Take managers from ac moore

Very nice place to work.

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Overall, the working environment had a positive effect on my perception on retail work and store maintenance. Management policy and store cleanliness maintenance and go-backs seemed to flow acceptably, and I can safely say that the team environment was very helpful to my perspective on how work hours go. I only regret that I couldn't be of more help within that limited time to them.

Cons

Not much I could say. I didn't have much time to stay there, since I was only working seasonal part-time. Nevertheless, from what I gathered, not much, if at all. Also, the reason for my lack of opinion on the CEO themselves had to do with me never having seen any example of their work directly. Otherwise, my perspective of them is rather positive.

Not much I can remember that would help, except perhaps maybe have a sort of system for the go-backs? Then again, the time I worked was December 2007 to January 2008. Might have changed that ever since already.

Fun Friendly place to work

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Brockville, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Brockville, ON (Canada)

Pros

Awesome staff and friendly customers

Cons

low end of the salary scale

Great company to work for and easy to get promoted.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Company has a lot of job opportunities.

Cons

management works 60-72 hrs a week.

Company does a lot of incentives for their employees.

Love it!

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager

Pros

- Michael's likes to promote from within when they can. In 2 years, I was promoted from Sales Associate to Customer Experience Manager. If you are a hard worker, work well with fellow employees and customers alike, and have a friendly personality, you can get promoted. Be sure to let the Store Manager know that you are interested in growing with the company, so they keep you in mind. When positions open up in your store, interview for them!
    - How good of an experience you will have will largely depend on your team, especially Store Manager (SM). I am lucky to have an awesome SM, great team of fellow department managers, and good group of associates. I love the people I work with and enjoy our customers.
    - Senior management listens to what customers want. Customers wanted more alphabet sticker options and by the next year, we had 3 sections instead of one.

Cons

- Limited full time / lead positions in our store.
    - Can't be a manager AND class instructor.

Get more hours on the sales floor so we can:
    - Continue to provide our customers with the help they need in finding things and
    - Make sure the store remains neat and clean for the customer

Who knew a job could be this fun!

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

It's an inspiring place to work. You're constantly interacting with creative people that want to talk about their projects.

Cons

The has been company wide changes made and there are alot of employees that are very resistant. That same group seems to do quite a bit of gossiping about any newly hired folks. Claiming that these new co-workers stole their jobs.

Communicate your goals clearly with fellow members of management. Otherwise they end up looking silly and uninformed.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!