Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
Profile Unclaimed

Very poor experience

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Employee discount. Get to work in a craft store.

Cons

Manager and district manager made promises during interview that they did not keep, being able to take any vacation time with my family. Management was not professional at all. Very poor customer service, more concerned about customers getting over on them then creating an enjoyable shopping experience for the people trying to spend money in the store.

Don't focus so much on the few customers that are working the system, focus on the customers who are paying your salary.

Company used to be great

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros ending when Chuck Rubin took over and brought in his own people.

Cons

All upper management has no respect for what has to happen on a daily basis at store level and the hours required to complete the workload. Management has to run a register or help out in framing instead of managing the store.

Start at the top with Chuck Rubin and make changes because ever since he took over everything went down hill. There is no respect for anyone at store level.

Greedy company treats low totem pole employees like crap.

Current Employee - Material Handler in Haslet, TX
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Haslet, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

30% discount on craft supplies that are way over priced.

Cons

Greedy corporate. Doesn't promote from within. Company is in as much debt as it's worth.

Start treating employees better, offer better benefits. We are the backbone, we make your paychecks possible.

less than stellar

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Covina, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people, great products, and the employee discount is fair

Cons

horrible policies and practices make it almost impossible to advance in a "career" here. hours can vary drastically week to week which really screws with the work load

Hint: Take a good look at those who work hardest because they just might be looking for a chance to advance. Don't miss the oppertunity to advance the great ones before they up and leave to FAIRER & GREENER pastures!

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great salary, very seasonal if you enjoy merchandising and reseting displays, you will love it here. New computer systems and easy to read plan on grams.

Cons

Terrible regional managers, Their jobs are always on the line and they make sure yours is too.

If you are looking for a career, stay away.

Middle mgmt

Former Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount program. That's it!

Cons

You name it and it's a con to working at michaels.
    If you want to be treated poorly by customers, store managers, and the district manager then this is the place to be. Especially if you want to be treated badly while getting paid nothing!
    You are expected to work incredibly hard but management won't help in any shape or form and you will only hear negative feedback and that it is never good enough.
    WORST retail environment ever!

Learn to listen to the whole team not just your managers cause they don't have a clue about anything unless it's happening in the office since they aren't the ones doing any actual work.

It once was a nice company to work for. It changedd

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I did get quite a good bit of experience in customer service during my 7 years there. I did enjoy working with the employees, who shared a love of crafting

Cons

They would not provide enough staff to get anything done. A lot of times things wouldn't be completed as efficiently as they could have been due to lack of staff. The pay was not enough to compensate having to do as much work as they wanted you to do.

I believe they need to spend more money on scheduling. It seemed as though they tried to cut costs at every corner they could find.

Used me for initial store opening, but was good learning experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Estero, FL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Estero, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love arts and crafts so it was enjoyable to learn new things about the subject while working there and to see all the new products coming out. The discount was pretty awesome as well!

Cons

I didn't appreciate being hired under the assumption I would have atleast part time work. I worked full time to help open the store and once it opened I got maybe one day a week if I was lucky.

Be honest about scheduling and give your employees actual tasks to do rather than walk around like zombies pretending to stock the shelves. We are creative and happy people and all probably didn't expect such a bad experience.

Unrealistic Goals

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff discount is great. But bringing in your own coupons is better. Benefits are available, but if you make a mistake, forget getting it fixed. Raises are available yearly, depending on your review.

Cons

Work-Life Balance is unattainable. Job descriptions are constantly changing. Payroll is a nightmare. There is no room for sick days. Vacations make you short staffed and you cant reuse those hours.

Consider putting yourself in the trenches. Yearly tours are great, but they don't show you what it is like to be in your own employees shoes. Business is important, but unhappy, over-worked, stressed staff don't increase your scores on surveys!!

Nightmare, unprofessional management, favoritism, underpaid, understaffed

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount is great, about it.

Cons

Working here is fun if you're somewhere like floral or framing, but if you aren't a brown noser, prepare to be ripped out of the decent departments pretty fast. The hours are insulting, along with the pay. Since the company has taken a nosedive, they can't afford to properly staff employees and you're always working your tail off for nothing. Hobby lobby pays their cashiers 2.00 more an hour, pathetic.

Stop playing favorites, maybe think about putting your weekly schedule up prior to it actually going into effect.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!