Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
1191 reviews filtered by

This was once a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At this point in time, it's a job. You'll learn how to work with inadequate staffing levels, impossible goals, and a crushing workload.

Cons

Too many to list. I was expected to run a store on minimal staffing. At many times, I would have one cashier, one sales associate to cover the entire selling floor, and one framer. It is impossible to meet standards on this level of staffing. When private equity took over this company in 2006, the corporate culture became nothing but cut, cut, cut. Framers were given impossible selling and productivity goals to meet. Every Christmas season, I dreaded the rush to complete customers framing orders. As long as we got the sale, it didn't matter if the customer was happy or not. As staffing levels decreased, store managers had to increase their workload. I won't even go into stocking and planograms on minimal staffing levels. The company preached customer service at the end, but did not provide the resources to make it happen.

The quality of field management also went downhill. This applied to store, district, and regional levels. Long term management was being forced out, and were often replaced by people of lower ability. My district manager only cared about whether the windows were painted, and not about in-stocks and merchandising. This clueless individual liked to come into my store at 4:45 p.m. just to ensure that we would have to stay all evening to tour the store. I would not have minded so much if I could have actually learned something from this person. In my career, I've worked for people I liked and people I didn't. My last district manager was the first whom I had zero respect. Long term district managers were fired and replaced by these lower quality people. It was very obvious that age discrimination was taking place.

Have respect for your people. Don't change dress codes at the drop of a hat to people who make minimum wage or slightly above. Provide appropriate staffing levels in the store.

The true Michaels.

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It used to be a good place to work.

Cons

I was a manager for Michaels for 18 years and thought I would retire with them. I was terminated for "work performance". I was doing the same job as my peers, always had one of the best inventories in the district and always had good audits. I feel I was terminated because I did have 18 years and had a higher salary. I was replaced by some one half may age and most probably at half my salary. I have had several (10+) friends and peers also get terminated for the same "work performance" reasons. All of the people had 15+ years the same as I did. Names can be provided. Not sure if this is company wide but it is happening in the Southeast area ( Alabama, Florida & Georgia). I also had DMs tell me that it "was just my time". These same DMs told me that they were told to weed out the older ones(managers).

I see the comments from people about the pay and raises and I do understand what they say. As managers were told to give less than adequate appraisals so the raises did not have to be so high. We were given a dollar amount ($0.00) to spread to all associates in the store. Never was the amount over $5 or $6 dollars. You were to spread this between 20-30 associates based on their appraisals. You can see where they would only get the minimum that was to be given.

You were/are all about customer service. But then you would cut hours so bad that you would have only 1 or 2 associates on the sales floor during operating hours. Managers were so office driven that they weren't even on the sales floor to offer assistance.

When I started to work for Michaels I was PROUD to work for you. Now it was all a really BAD dream.

So disorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint James, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint James, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting a job at Michael's is easy enough if you're desperate. They're ALWAYS looking for employees because everyone always quits.

The job itself is easy enough, until they leave you on register by yourself for an hour with a swarm of customers and no one answers the radio to come open up a second register.

Cons

The schedules are very disorganized. I had a problem with my schedule every week that I had to go down and fix.

Paychecks were also usually missing money. After I stopped working there I had to get two more $50 paychecks since I was able to prove that they owed me that money for the hours I worked.

Work on organizing everything so your employees don't keep quitting.

5. Very poor experience

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Employee discount. Get to work in a craft store.

Cons

Manager and district manager made promises during interview that they did not keep, being able to take any vacation time with my family. Management was not professional at all. Very poor customer service, more concerned about customers getting over on them then creating an enjoyable shopping experience for the people trying to spend money in the store.

Don't focus so much on the few customers that are working the system, focus on the customers who are paying your salary.

Company used to be great

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros ending when Chuck Rubin took over and brought in his own people.

Cons

All upper management has no respect for what has to happen on a daily basis at store level and the hours required to complete the workload. Management has to run a register or help out in framing instead of managing the store.

Start at the top with Chuck Rubin and make changes because ever since he took over everything went down hill. There is no respect for anyone at store level.

Greedy company treats low totem pole employees like crap.

Current Employee - Material Handler in Haslet, TX
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Haslet, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

30% discount on craft supplies that are way over priced.

Cons

Greedy corporate. Doesn't promote from within. Company is in as much debt as it's worth.

Start treating employees better, offer better benefits. We are the backbone, we make your paychecks possible.

less than stellar

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Covina, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people, great products, and the employee discount is fair

Cons

horrible policies and practices make it almost impossible to advance in a "career" here. hours can vary drastically week to week which really screws with the work load

Hint: Take a good look at those who work hardest because they just might be looking for a chance to advance. Don't miss the oppertunity to advance the great ones before they up and leave to FAIRER & GREENER pastures!

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great salary, very seasonal if you enjoy merchandising and reseting displays, you will love it here. New computer systems and easy to read plan on grams.

Cons

Terrible regional managers, Their jobs are always on the line and they make sure yours is too.

If you are looking for a career, stay away.

Middle mgmt

Former Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount program. That's it!

Cons

You name it and it's a con to working at michaels.
    If you want to be treated poorly by customers, store managers, and the district manager then this is the place to be. Especially if you want to be treated badly while getting paid nothing!
    You are expected to work incredibly hard but management won't help in any shape or form and you will only hear negative feedback and that it is never good enough.
    WORST retail environment ever!

Learn to listen to the whole team not just your managers cause they don't have a clue about anything unless it's happening in the office since they aren't the ones doing any actual work.

11. It once was a nice company to work for. It changedd

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I did get quite a good bit of experience in customer service during my 7 years there. I did enjoy working with the employees, who shared a love of crafting

Cons

They would not provide enough staff to get anything done. A lot of times things wouldn't be completed as efficiently as they could have been due to lack of staff. The pay was not enough to compensate having to do as much work as they wanted you to do.

I believe they need to spend more money on scheduling. It seemed as though they tried to cut costs at every corner they could find.

Michaels Stores Photos