Michaels Stores Reviews

Reset

1,495 Employee Reviews

1. Cares about employees

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Opportunity to advance in the company.

Cons

As in all other workplaces there are employees that dampen the atmosphere.

2. Mgr

Current Employee - Manager in Roanoke, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Roanoke, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team in place to work with

Cons

Limited growth opportunities at the corporate office

3. easy job

Pros

laid back, easy job, nice customers

Cons

wasn't there long enough to really form an opinion

Advice to Management

nothing specific to say.

Perks are few

Current Employee - Anymous in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anymous in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros of working here are you get a paycheck and you can say you have a job

Cons

Many department heads do not give out the same perks as other departments. They choose to ignore the needs of their 'minions'. No work life balance and very petty policies. You will be constantly watched like a child in kindergarten. Industry pay standards are ignored in some departments while other departments enjoy better than industry pay. The very unevenness of this causes a lot of resentment towards supervisors when you know they CAN give and do, yet they don't.

Advice to Management

Stop being so uneven. Giving supervisors freedom to reign over their own departments sounds great but when you have ungenerous people running departments, those employees are left in the cold while watching departments around them enjoy their perks and their jobs and their lives more. Bring all wages UP to at or above industry and location standards. The little people in this company are completely forgotten.

6. Satisfied Employee

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Part-time employees DO get the discount! You even get your discount on sale items! I use a coupon if it will give me a better deal.People are nice too.

Cons

I can't think of any.

7. Open work

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Often has openings fun work.

Cons

Offers few hours. Lots of pressure from tight deadlines.

8. Great part timer

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They always have a great team. The register system is very easy. Easy position titles with explained roles. Great customer base.

Cons

There is a low hourly wage. The register sometimes doesn't pick up coupons and sales. Scheduling should be longer out, monthly schedule would be easier for home life.

Great Place for Students to Work

Former Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started working at Michael's in 2002 as a cashier and ended my time with the company in 2011 as Customer Experience Manager. My management and co-workers were like family. Store was managed fairly well. As a student working here part-time, they were extremely helpful if I needed time off for school. Work was enjoyable, nice place for part-time.

Cons

In 2010-2011, the company started to change overall. This led to part-time employees getting as little as 4 hours per week sometimes. Left in 2011 to pursue a full-time opportunity.

10. Ups and downs, Overall pretty good.

Current Employee - Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the team members are relatively friendly and I enjoy working around and seeing all the arts and crafts items that come through the store. It has been pretty easy for me to get time off when I need it and hours have been pretty flexible. The employee discount is pretty awesome.

Cons

My main gripe with working there so far would have to be with the email collection. Firstly, the pressure they put on us to ask each customer who comes through the line for their email REALLY puts some customers off, and even when someone declines they have given us instructions to further push for the email in certain situations to reach our 'goal' percent email collection. On a personal level, I'm not as socially 'fluent' as some, and my shy demeanor has led to my percentage staying under goal for me despite asking every customer. In every other way I am a hard working, friendly, conscientious worker and I greatly feel that those qualities have been undervalued as they focus on that one negative aspect vs everything else. I even do 'extra' work that other cashiers don't bother with when we are slow. I didn't even get my raise at this last review, and I know in every other way I have been a good worker for them. They simply put too much value on email collection and it has left me feeling undervalued as an employee. There also definitely needs to be more hands on training with new employees/ employees learning new things. There are too many gaps left in learning the ins and outs of the store there.

Advice to Management

I know the management at the store directly has no power over the required email collection... but that definitely needs to change. Email collection needs a new system that will put customers off less, and an employee should not be out a raise because of one over valued aspect of a job. There also definitely needs to be a better training system for employees.

11. Jobs

Former Employee - Operations Manager/Lead Floral Designer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager/Lead Floral Designer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Its is a very family based business

Cons

It needs more incentives for there employees

Advice to Management

Needs more hand on with there employees

Showing 1,495 of 1,510 reviews