Michaels Stores

1,031 Reviews
2.9
1,031 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 83 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 73 reviews)

• If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

It's alright. Could be better.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

30% off discount
    flexible schedule... sometimes..
    fun environment

Cons

rude customers complaining about the sales signs
    gets really busy on weekends and people complain about lack of registers open
    bad management
    management picks favorites

don't pick favorites and let some people only work one day a week and when another works 5 days a week and asks off for 2 in one month, deny their request.... then cut their hours because you're angry... how old are we? five?

It's been a roller coaster experience

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Schedules are not overwhelming for part-time associates. Managers are pretty good about scheduling to their associates availability. Managers are understanding to their employees personal life. Associate discount was good. The overall responsibilities of any department (cashiers, floor associates, replenishment associates, framers) is not difficult to perform.

Cons

There is a challenge to do more work with less hours or associates. Hours are dependent on sales. Because of those factors, it can be difficult to complete tasks in the time from corporate asks for. Like all places of business, there is some favoritism between upper management and associates. Training is not always available, even when asked for.

Not everyone has an email address or wants to give it out and be flooded with excess emails. Bringing in new customers is always important but you cannot forget about your regular customers. Bad experiences can bring a loss of sales to location or company, especially with the competition nearby in other locations of Michael's stores or other companies.

Ok for a second job or a hobby

Former Employee - Cashier in Cape Coral, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cape Coral, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are really nice and funny. For the most part, the customers are nice and relaxed group of people. You pick up a lot of creative inspiration. It's an easy job...you clock in, work 4-5 hours and go home. Very flexible with hours, if you need time off you can request it through the computer with 14 days notice, or you can call and request the manager if it's within the 14 day time frame. If the schedule is up you can usually find someone else to work for you or to switch shifts with you. You can dress up for your shift the week of Halloween, as long as your costumes aren't scary or inappropriate. The store is open on Thanksgiving, which personally I don't like...but they take volunteers to work that day before they schedule anyone. However, make sure if you don't want to work, you request it off well in advance, because if they don't have enough volunteers, you could be scheduled.

Cons

Training is almost non-existent. Very low hours, most staff only see about 15 hours a week at best. It seems the more liked you are, the more hours you get. One store manager scheduled me 4-5 days a week, the current store manager schedules me 1-2. Annual raises are not even worth it. I got less than a nickel. Many changes are made, and if you are not in the group that works at least 4 days a week, you probably won't hear any news. With my working 1-2 days a week, and an entire week goes by between my shifts, I am completely out of the loop for everything. There is way too much emphasis put on collecting emails. Reminders and threats of write ups if you do not collect enough emails from customers are constantly being spoken over the radio during your shift. Only NEW emails count, if they already have their email in the system, it does not count toward your percentage. Therefore, even if you ask every customer, you still don't feel "safe" from being written up. I have been there over a year and have never had a review.

Need to focus more on training. Offer more hours to the staff you have, stop hiring more people. Keep all staff in the loop on changes in the store such as new policies, contests or changes in management. You could do this by using company email. Stop pressuring us to collect emails from customers. The percentages are mostly out of our control, because even if we ask every single customer, we might still only get 15% new emails. A lot of people don't want to give it out. Also, it might help us to take down the signs that tell the customer they can text to get a 20% discount. They do that before they get to the register, and then they don't want to give it to me because they "just did it". It might also help us if you offered an immediate discount for email collection. If we add in an email that is new, the register could automatically take off a certain percentage from the whole transaction, even if they have already used a coupon. The customer might be more inclined to give their email in that case.

Loved working here, but the pay was low

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere, loved all the products and helping customers find what they need.

Cons

My store started cutting hours and the pay for front end supervisor was already low as it was, working two part time jobs at 8$ an hour is not enough to get by on, especially if one starts cutting hours.

Glitter everywhere! impossible to get off of your clothing.

I guess I would say, pay a living wage even to part timers, 8$ and hour for a supervisor position is ridiculous. You already do not provide health care benefits, NO ONE can live off of 8$ an hour, take in to account taxes, and your checks are skin and bones, much like I was when I worked there.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Very flexible with hours, people are nice and friendly. management does seem to care about you. good place for kids to learn about job responsibilities

Cons

holiday hours are long. You definitely aren't going to get rich working here.

Hard to move up, great for high school or college students looking for a part time position.

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in League City, TX
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in League City, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The medical, dental, and vision benefits are fantastic if you qualify for them, the schedule is relatively flexible.

Cons

Almost impossible to move up in certain stores, some store managers are incredibly lazy and take advantage of their more high-spirited employees.

Watch your store managers more closely and make sure they are keeping a paper trail of their vacation and time-off requests. Make sure all store managers are following full SOP and not half doing it until corporate comes in for safety, quarterly and homecoming audits.

Good store fun you have a lots of good people working at the store.

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Very positive group of people
    Helpful group of people
    Offered benefits

Cons

Very Low hours!
    Decent pay
    Price checkers barely worked

Time off policies you have to wait at least 30 days to call out of work.
    Very Good company so many ways you can advance.

A learning experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Replenishment Associate, Cashier in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As was said before, you can get hired easy during the season, and promoted quick. Discount is nice if you are crafty and now includes sales items. Mostly friendly co-workers and some are extremely fun, talented and hard working. Overall I enjoy my job and being surrounded by creativity and inspiration, but would like some revamping of policies and procedures

Cons

Mostly part time, over-hiring is terrible and limits hours and the turnover is outragous. Co-workers an managers like to start drama(I've known crafty people to be like this =P) 3 words-"Crazy craft ladies" if you've worked here you know what I mean. There are really nice creative customers who come in, but then there are the ones who are rude, snotty and look down on you for taking care of there precious supplies. Employees are not well trained before being 'set loose', and some just simply do not try and are not reprimanded for it. Pay is mediocre and yearly raises are insulting for the work expected.

Spend more time teaching employees basic rules/ proceedures.

Some drawbacks, but the moments it is personally rewarding almost make up for the cons.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Jolting personal motivation and cranking up inspiration, working at Michaels has allowed me to jump-start personal goals that I had long ignored/postponed. Being a place where most of the costumers go to equip themselves to bring a creative idea to execution, it is hard not to feel a sense of fulfillment in playing a small part of their excitement for the process.

Cons

The hectic fast-paced aspect of the job was to be expected, seeing as the store covers seasonal merchandise, large impulse-buy (almost clearance type) sections, and sensational coupons/weekly deals. These 3 things, I find, are what produces the most work/stress in terms of meeting expectations of organization and cleanliness (can I say glitter everywhere?). There's no team meetings, which I feel would be extremely helpful, seeing as expectations vary from manager to manager on the scale of realistic to optimistic to unrealistic/absurd.
    Unfortunately, the training provided can hardly be considered adequate or sufficient. As mentioned on some of the other reviews, new employees are basically "let-loose" quite unprepared. I can see how managers believe that time on the sales floor and on cashier operations -learning by doing- might be best. But after only 1hr at register and 1hr on sales floor observing more experienced employees, there is no way to retain all the information needed to perform appropriately after that one-go in each area.

Review and adjust method of training new employees.
    Team meetings would also improve communication on expectations and goals.

A decent part time job

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Occasionally getting paid for crafting (e.g. creating samples or leading children's activities)
    -Decent employee discount
    -Generally fun atmosphere among coworkers
    -Flexible hours
    -Discussing projects and crafts with customers

Cons

-Pressure for email collection. My store has many repeat customers, making it difficult to meet the percentage, which requires NEW emails. Also, many elderly customers without any email address.
    -Lack of hours overall and highly variable shifts from week to week. Customers often complain about no one on the floor to help them.
    -Strict coupon policy which directs customer frustration and anger towards employees, cashiers in particular.
    -Little chance of a full-time position. They are few and far between.
    -Pressure from corporate which, I feel, often translates into management frustration that is sometimes directed at other employees.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!