Michaels Stores

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Very nice place to work.

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, the working environment had a positive effect on my perception on retail work and store maintenance. Management policy and store cleanliness maintenance and go-backs seemed to flow acceptably, and I can safely say that the team environment was very helpful to my perspective on how work hours go. I only regret that I couldn't be of more help within that limited time to them.

Cons

Not much I could say. I didn't have much time to stay there, since I was only working seasonal part-time. Nevertheless, from what I gathered, not much, if at all. Also, the reason for my lack of opinion on the CEO themselves had to do with me never having seen any example of their work directly. Otherwise, my perspective of them is rather positive.

Not much I can remember that would help, except perhaps maybe have a sort of system for the go-backs? Then again, the time I worked was December 2007 to January 2008. Might have changed that ever since already.

Fun Friendly place to work

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Brockville, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Brockville, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome staff and friendly customers

Cons

low end of the salary scale

Great company to work for and easy to get promoted.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company has a lot of job opportunities.

Cons

management works 60-72 hrs a week.

Company does a lot of incentives for their employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it!

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores for more than a year

Pros

- Michael's likes to promote from within when they can. In 2 years, I was promoted from Sales Associate to Customer Experience Manager. If you are a hard worker, work well with fellow employees and customers alike, and have a friendly personality, you can get promoted. Be sure to let the Store Manager know that you are interested in growing with the company, so they keep you in mind. When positions open up in your store, interview for them!
    - How good of an experience you will have will largely depend on your team, especially Store Manager (SM). I am lucky to have an awesome SM, great team of fellow department managers, and good group of associates. I love the people I work with and enjoy our customers.
    - Senior management listens to what customers want. Customers wanted more alphabet sticker options and by the next year, we had 3 sections instead of one.

Cons

- Limited full time / lead positions in our store.
    - Can't be a manager AND class instructor.

Get more hours on the sales floor so we can:
    - Continue to provide our customers with the help they need in finding things and
    - Make sure the store remains neat and clean for the customer

Who knew a job could be this fun!

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's an inspiring place to work. You're constantly interacting with creative people that want to talk about their projects.

Cons

The has been company wide changes made and there are alot of employees that are very resistant. That same group seems to do quite a bit of gossiping about any newly hired folks. Claiming that these new co-workers stole their jobs.

Communicate your goals clearly with fellow members of management. Otherwise they end up looking silly and uninformed.

Happy if you can follow the rules.

Current Employee - Previously CEM, Currently Wilton Instructor  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Previously CEM, Currently Wilton Instructor in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Great managers, fun customers, hard working & friendly co-workers.

Cons

You need to he willing to work physically hard. Rearranging isles, displays always. Unloading trucks weekly & meeting regular deadlines. Everyone is expected to work as a team & slackers do not last long.

Management is great. Very sensitive to employeess needs. They have a difficult job trying to keep upper management happy, employees happy & customers happy.

AWESOME company!!!

Current Employee - Distribution Center Worker  in  Centralia, WA
    Current Employee - Distribution Center Worker in Centralia, WA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very concerned about all of their employees, really great benefits, progressive company, creative thinking, open to all new ideas, big into internal promotions and development, just an overall GREAT company!

Cons

The overtime is nice to get but continous overtime can be tiring...they try hard to keep up excited with BBQ's, ice cream, games, etc., it can just be a lot of hours when you work 9 hours everyday for 5 days.

Better than most places.

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Flexibility was great between school and just whenever I needed time off I generally got it, people whom I worked with were really nice,

Cons

Customers could be really mean and annoying but then again its customer service in a retail environment so what can you expect

Great first job! Management and coworkers very supportive, good work environment.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Management was good, coworkers good. People who shop at Michaels are generally laid back, and fun to talk to about their craft projects.

Cons

You have to do a lot of standing. Occasionally customers are unpleasant to work with. Often there are lots of small parts or pieces to restock/sort or scan.

I had a very positive experience with Michaels management. Working at Michaels was my first job, and I was treated fairly, and given proper training.

I enjoy the customer interaction

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Enjoy the chance to grow

Cons

no concerns at this time

Model theBehavior you are looking for

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!