Michaels Stores

Updated August 16, 2014
Updated August 16, 2014

2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

management

Former Employee - Category Management
    Former Employee - Category Management

Pros

pay, schedules, were all ok

Cons

management, no flexibility at all

stick to policy

Another corporation that cares only about profit, not people

Pros

Staff discount
    Free classes
    Lack of supervision
    Can go as slow as you want
    Lack of security cameras to monitor you

Cons

Understaffed
    Unrealistic expectations
    A lot of product waste
    Poor training
    Low wages
    Low hours
    Email collection requirements
    Management is impersonal and uncaring

You would have less turnover if you pretended to care about your staff. The way you staff your store is a joke.

WORST company EVERR

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

None. Company is horrible and so is corporate

Cons

Horrible company ! I just quit today. To much work required of cashiers such as answering the phones while busy and etc. low pay, horrible management, and disrespectful co workers.

Needs new management!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

Lot's of interesting craft merchandise in stock.

Cons

Manager disrespectful, expect you to be fast all the time, poor training for employees, disorganized store with wrong labels for the merchandise. Work part-time hours, not enough to live on after taking out medical.j Have to live on Food Stamps. What fun!

Train your employees so they understand how the store works. I worked at another retail store and set up planograms for new merchandise. This store I have no idea how this store works.

Zero training, but high expectations.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

Pros

Some of the staff is very nice. They have an employee discount.

Cons

Zero training. I was thrown on the floor without any knowledge of what I was doing. Thankfully, I'd been a frequent customer there, so I knew where some things were located. My questions for management are never answered. They just tell me to ask the other manager about it. But, the training is the biggest con to working here. It's very hard to help customers properly when you have been given no tools to be able to do so. Also, I understand the need for headsets, but it is very frustrating to be trying to assist a customer when someone is talking in your ear, asking you to do something else.

Please provide mandatory training for new hires. I think it's very important to at least go over basics - such as safety training and where things are in the store. Just a few hours of good training can make a big difference.

Unorganized store, unorganized management

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

Pros

You'll stay busy. There's never a dull moment working as a cashier. The headsets make it very easy to communicate with other employees without having to run around the store too much.

Cons

I was hired as seasonal help and given zero training, save for some basics on how to run the register. That was it. Return policy? What do to before opening and closing? Break policy? No one told me anything. My first night there I was apparently the closing cashier, meaning I had a list of things do to before leaving the store that night; and of course no one briefed me on what those things were until after they should have already been done, at which time I was treated as if I had acted irresponsibly by failing to do my job. Note that I was not told I was the closing cashier either. Basically they put you on a register and say "good luck."

Management does not communicate with one anther and will assume someone else already did something, and they will give associates conflicting instructions on how to do a task, leaving a lot of clueless associates and unfinished work. No one knows what is going on, and everything is always up in the air, which makes for a terrible and stressful work environment.

There are never enough associates to man the sales floor, meaning that cashiers have to do it all: ring up customers, answer their questions and direct them around the store (without being able to leave the cashwrap area), answer the phone, and handle returned product. Because I wasn't trained, I ended up having to ask the rest of the staff a ton of questions, often getting rude and snarky responses from management and full time staff. Is it because I'm seasonal, or because you think I don't know anything? Maybe with 10 minutes of training I would be able to handle these issues on my own.

On top of the lack of training and ill-tempered staff, there's the store itself. It's always dirty and always completely unorganized. Sale signs are put up a day early (meaning a lot of angry customers at the register with items that were marked as "sale" that don't ring up that way; and of course, cashiers aren't alerted to this beforehand), items that aren't on sale are placed into sale sections, and it's impossible to keep product organized with the limited staff we have available.

The pay is also nothing to write home about, especially for the heavy workload. Employees get a 25% discount, which would be great if most of our coupons didn't give a better deal.

Respect your employees- ALL of your employees.

Worst job I've worked at

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate  in  Delray Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Delray Beach, FL

Pros

I love arts and crafts so it was nice helping customers with their project ideas

Cons

You work your tail off for low pay, I was getting 11 hours a week when I originally told I'd get atleast 30 and then it would be full time. The management is very disorganized and really do not care about their employees.

Evaluate your store managers and ask employees what improvements can be made

Money does not pave the road to happiness

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

customers (greatest)
    associates (real talent is wasting out in the field)
    pay

Cons

payroll
    priorities all wrong. More thought is given to bonus than customer.

A Company not much interested it's employees, only corporate matters.

Current Employee - Frame Shop Manager  in  Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Frame Shop Manager in Bozeman, MT

Pros

Working closly with customers in framing dept is nice, some great employees trying to improve on discordant management/corporate guidiance

Cons

Arbitrary goals with no real world backing, having same expectations from all stores regardless of the extreme differences in socio-economic dynamics of areas. Not the highest of quality materials.

Think of something other than performance bonus, realize that your employees are what make or break a store. Actually listen to feedback and address issues.

prejudice towards blacks

Former Employee - Auto Technician  in  Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Auto Technician in Mobile, AL

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this business

Cons

Better Business Bureau needs to check them out about equal opportunity

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!