Michaels Stores Reviews

1238 reviews filtered by

1. Great Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved working there! Coworkers were very supportive of each other.

Cons

I disagreed with some policies.

Corporation has no direction or focus

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creativity is encouraged in some positions. If you're really bad at your job, you'll be promoted to another store in a better position. Michael's rewards failure.

Cons

Low pay, micromanaged at many levels, bottom line squelches creativity, good people aren't taken care of and leave, art, craft, and creative knowledge is lacking in many, including management. Corporate listens but then dismisses concerns without action.

Advice to Management

If you don't love being creative and inspiring people, there's no reason to be in this business. If it's just about the most money at the top, on the backs of low paid employees at the bottom, you might as well close the doors and open a Walmart.

STAY AWAY

Former Employee - Classroom Instructor in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Classroom Instructor in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The actual teaching was fun, the work itself was enjoyable. I liked my coworkers.

Cons

-Not getting paid unless, on your own time, you hunted down the payroll person and waited for them to get a physical check.
    -Terrible lack of communication
    -Never getting an employee ID/discount card, reason given being that they "ran out." (You don't know how many employees you have and didn't order the right amount?)
    -NOT GETTING A W-2! This basically absorbed three stressful weeks of my life when I was trying to file taxes and couldn't get a thing from them. No response at all to various communication attempts.
    -Not being paid the right amount. There was a week where I had twice as many students (so should have had twice as much pay) as usual but still was only paid $50. However, it was such a pain to get my paycheck at all that I wasn't up to whatever I'd have to go through to get paid the correct amount.
    -they just put projects on the calendar. Sometimes they are really weird things like a "baby kimono." I'd no idea how to make a baby kimono, thankfully none of the students wanted to make one, but they don't check with you before just advertising and scheduling weird projects you're supposed to teach. they offer no materials to explain anything to you (like to show you how to make the weird things they advertise you'll be teaching).

Advice to Management

Your Port Charlotte store is extremely disorganized.
    I worked there for several months before quitting and never even got an employee ID, anyone's last name, and general communication was terrible. No one does bag checks or anything.

Cheap company who puts little stock in their employees

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on your feet and move around the store (if you're not cashiering). I liked the fact that I could physically SEE my accomplishments while also running around helping my coworkers and employees. I liked meeting new people and learning about arts and crafts!

Cons

Well........it's retail. (nuff said)
    CRAZY unsteady hours. They work hard to NOT provide full-time positions. Even if you are full-time (a manager at that), your hours will not be consistent -----in any department. There is very little room to move up. If you have worked there for 3 years, worked every department and know the store like the back of your hand, you'd better forget about being a manager unless you have previous experience in doing so. They'd rather hire someone who worked as a manager at a gas station or something for 2 months than anyone within the store. I saw it happen to multiple people.
    Their rules grew increasingly strange and petty. They are a failing company who's interests are all wrong.
    I sincerely hope they find a way to turn it around.

Advice to Management

*Learn how to keep knowledgeable, hard-working employees. No self-respecting person would stay.
    c/p from Cons:
    I sincerely hope they find a way to turn it around.

6. Easy and great for younger people.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, Flexible Hours, Enjoyable Staff, Less Responsibilty

Cons

Minimum Wage, Late Hours, Rude Customers

7. A Love- hate Relationship

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Wildomar, CA
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Wildomar, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Some stores have excellent management systems, the first store that I worked for was fantastic and the managers were very kind and they didn't have to abuse their power to get things done; and that location was almost always number one in the district. I choose to stay with the company because they were offering a great work environment. Every day that I worked, I felt needed and felt as though I was a part of something bigger. the only good thing I can say about the second store is the replenishment manager was fantastic very knowledgeable and a very hard worker and then later added on to our team, our assistant general manager has also been very knowledgeable.

Cons

when I relocated out of that district and went to my second store I found the complete opposite. the team is comprised of mostly very young adults who do not want to actually work and are really there for social purposes. lower managers do not receive as much backing as they should from their higher managers, which has turned them into babysitters not managers. customers are extremely mean at times letting their children destroy products when there is nothing we can say without being reprimanded for offending the employees by asking them to work even if it is done in a calm and respectful demeanor.

Advice to Management

the advice that I can give to upper management would be to focus on properly training all new employees; that way expectations are known and the day can go much more smoothly. seems you are more worried about public appearance of yourself, as opposed to the store as a whole. managers do not spend nearly enough time evaluating the employees and giving constructive criticism and praise; and not just praise as far as trying to encourage them to do their minimum job requirements. This company inspired me not only to continue to grow with it but also to develop as an individual, and I feel that this new store I'm at is not living up to Michaels expectations of how to properly conduct business.

8. Working at Michael's is enjoyable.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are all easy to get alone with and the employee discount is great, especially if you are an arts and crafty person to begin with.

Cons

Some of the customers can be the worst but in the end it is all worth it.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that workers have lives outside of work.

Art Framer

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in West Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in West Springfield, MA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creativity in my position is wonderful. I like the customer interaction and enjoy my co-workers. It's a fun place to work.

Cons

Management! They are so focused on the bottom line that they forget that it's the store employee that makes the sale. We are underpaid and under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Pay the employees a living wage and stop micro-managing.

10. Store Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Salary is very good to start

Cons

work is extremely hard for one person

Decent work, nice enough people, insufficient pay.

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Working as a framer gives me an "official" skill.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits or incentives, generally annoyed coworkers

Advice to Management

Offer better incentives, such as commission, school loan repayment, benefits, higher pay.

Michaels Stores Photos