Michelin North America

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015

Michelin North America Chairman & President Pete Selleck
Pete Selleck

Pros
  • They are very family friendly and have good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is the leading factor for most employees' happiness within the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working in the older BF Goodrich facilities guarantees you will have no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• And the rotating shifts almost guarantees that you will have problems with sleeping (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

I worked at Michelin North America

Pros

Great training system for all

Cons

Better learn french to make it forward

Worked in the Tuscaloosa plant

Former Employee - Software Developer in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Michelin North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I liked my manager, but he was replaced and that is one of the reasons I left
    They paid a fair amount
    Had good benefits

Cons

I was there 2 weeks and the head accountant asked me to report the production numbers for the plant for that month. I said no way. The software they were using for production was buggy and producing incorrect numbers after years and tens of thousands of dollars. I was on a 3 month contract and tried to fix it. After 3 months I stated I wasn't interested in working there. They had a meeting and talked me into staying. They said I could re-write the system in .NET
    So I spent several months re-writing the system. When I completed it, they wanted me to present it in front of the senior management (I'm a computer programmer, not a presenter). So I did. The plant manager said "We already have something that does this don't we?" I let my manager anser him.
    After that, I worked on a couple more software projects. One of the guys in the IT dept had no IT experience. His Excel file would break everyday and they would come tell him and he would spend a couple of hours correcting it. No one seemed to care. He would say, they can't fire me.
    Anyway, my manager was demoted and a new one came in. He took a week vacation his second month there. We were butting heads and I was burned out so I left.
    I do feel sorry for the people who worked shifts because they would switch from night to day shifts.

They are like any other company

I have been working at Michelin North America

Pros

There are a lot of perks that come with this job including a company car as well as gas card.

Cons

Sometimes greed is the worst when your manager are more concerned about their growth then your own. Hence why many under that person leave because we aren't growing.

Short review of Michelin

I have been working at Michelin North America

Pros

Solid global company, good if you are a wage or hourly employee.

Cons

Promises career growth and movement but does not deliver, salaries are ridiculously low for the job expectations.

The Employee Experience

Former Employee - Accounting in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Accounting in Greenville, SC

I worked at Michelin North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This employer represents the old style of company management in the U.S., where the employer felt a greater responsibility to employees and there was less pressure on individual contributors at the corporate level.

Cons

Currently, management lives in the past, where corporate jobs were somewhat general in nature, permitting one person to perform several jobs with minimal training.
    Over the last 20-25 years jobs have become more specialized, with greater attention to detail and the desire to maximize individual contributions. That coupled with the increased cost of training has led to a corporate culture where one person learns one job, but with the expectation that the individual employee learn multiple, perhaps unrelated jobs, from the single job training session. This expectation has reduced individual efficiencies on the job, while at the same time increasing performance expectations of the individual contributor.

This company has the most politicallly charged environment in which I have ever worked. Many decisions, including those that have a far reaching impact, are frequently politically motivated and do not represent what is in the best interests of the company or the individual contributor. Therefore, the need for transparency as well as cold hard immutable facts in the decision making process are critical going forward. Also, it is vital to develop more effective methods of training and compensating individual contributors at all levels, particularly the corporate level, while at the same time working with management to create an atmosphere of realistic expectations.

Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Michelin North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Bonus structure is based on metrics outside of sales persons control

Love this Company

Current Employee - Business Unit Leader in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Business Unit Leader in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Michelin North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Unbeatable employee focused work environment. Great company to work for.

Cons

Long work hours - typical of my position though.

Cannot offer any improvement suggestions. I am truly sold on Michelin.

Process Engineer

I have been working at Michelin North America full-time

Pros

Not many layoffs over the year, good benefits

Cons

they preach work life balance in certain cases it it true, good ole boy system in play here, Hay job classification system and help that justify their pay to employees. They seem to underpay engineers with experience by 10-20 K a year vs. other employers.

They need a salary adjustment for positions values in industry but would cost them too much money.

Solid Company Committed to Quality and Consistency!

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program

I have been working at Michelin North America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great organization always looking to help develop its employees and further their career goals. Committed to quality and consistency. Individuals who work here are committed to ensure customers obtain the safest and highest quality tires on the road.

Cons

A lot is expected of its employees, but that is not necessary bad. Questions are not only encouraged, but expected to be successful.

Good Company to work for!!

I have been working at Michelin North America

Pros

Job security is one of the biggest aspects of the job. The environment is really friendly and the management is flexible with working hours.

Cons

The management is slow at implementing new technology. The protocols are lengthy and just takes a long time to implement.

Michelin North America Photos

Students on a visit to the plant

+ Add Photo