Michigan Department of Corrections

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Darlene Schimmel

Good place to work hard to move up

ProsGreat pay. Great benefits. Good opportunities for promotion within.

ConsRisky. Losing good things over time.

So many problems-so few answers.

Food Service Leader (Former Employee)

ProsPay, availability of overtime, challenging, personal growth and learning social issues.

ConsFood Service was privatized. Very negative work environment. Sexual harassment from older white male staff( including touching body parts even though I addressed that this was unwanted-I did not flirt or lead them down that path). Staff will be as big of an issue as inmates. The good ole boys club still exists but is probably less than it was formerly. Racism from older white male officers (not all but enough). Lack of teamwork. State procedures require us to be a positive example to inmates but so many staff members are poor examples (again-expecially older white male officers)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting individuals just because they're officers - look at other options for the coordinators and prison counselor spots. Stop trying to convince older employees to get on board with compliance of discriminatory harassment policy - get rid of them; don't allow the 50+ white male officers to mentor young officers this contributes to the poison that is in the system.

Stabbed me in the back!!

Health Care (Former Employee)
    New Haven, MI

ProsWorked Health Care Department..great hours,great pay, great co-workers,great health benefits.

ConsWas bullied by my supervisor for 3 years..state did nothing about it! Had to leave the job I loved for 10 years due to mental health issues..:(

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat you didn't do is still affecting me 6 years later !

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

world within a world

Corrections Officer (Former Employee)
    New Haven, MI

Prosget to work in a diverse environment. self discovery, overtime, benefits

Consschedule, mandatory overtime, negativity (all around), potentially life threatening, co-workers that don't have your back, shanks, shivs, lock-in-a-sock, co-workers that bring in contraband for inmates. power hungry supervisors, fear of layoff or pay-cut from the governor because the public whines about the cost of Corrections in good times but flips when things are crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where you started, if you have never worn the uniform remember that uniformed staff make you look good and bad. Don't power trip, on the street your bars don't mean anything.

Horrible place to work. Don't do it

ProsBenefits, that's about it really

ConsEverything, everything, everything, everything, everything

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone and start fresh

Ups and downs, stressful sometimes just like any job.

Correctional Officer (Current Employee)
    Adrian, MI

ProsGood pay. Some advancement within the state if you have a degree. Corrections is a good starting point. Three day weekends.

ConsCo workers will stress you more than the inmates. You have to work six days a week to get a day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of changes. Always closing prisons and making cuts. Hopefully they wont privativze corrections. I recomend having a degree when working for corrections.

Dept. of Corruption!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, decent pay for the crap you have to deal with, some nice co-workers, sites all over the state. Director Caruso is awesome!

ConsManagement will cut your throat if they need a scape goat. Constantly changing policies and procedures. Reactive department...not proactive. Getting promoted is tough. Promotions often happen at the upper management area by promoting a crappy employee to get rid of them out of a certain position. Lots of disgruntled employees who feel like they constantly have to watch their back: from staff and management more than from inmates. Management under Director Caruso suck!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the qualified, not the broken wheel.

Worked for Michigan Department of Corrections? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michigan Department of Corrections reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michigan Department of Corrections CEO Darlene Schimmel. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Michigan Department of Corrections employees.