Michigan Department of Corrections

Darlene Schimmel

MDOC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson City, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson City, MI

I have been working at Michigan Department of Corrections part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back culture. Not much work to do.

Cons

The organizational structure is a mess.

Stressful production office work with desperate anxious clients.

I worked at Michigan Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

There is a sense of satisfaction when you know you are helping the truly needy clients. The benefits are okay, but expensive. Annual leave time increases quickly and most supervisors will honor your request for reasonable time off. They offer a decent 401k match.

Cons

The compensation is fair, but after they take out deductions for insurance etc, you barely make enough money to get by. There is too much drama and office politics with a high turnover rate for a public service agency. Constant changing of priorities with little training or direction from management and a lot of nepotism.

Hire employees based on merit and not who they are related to. Give all employees the opportunity to make suggestions that will make the work load more efficient and productive. Encourage employees to rotate job duties, so you can find their hidden talents and their knowledge, skills and abilities. Pay wages that employees can live on after costly insurance deductions.

I had a very hard time for 13 years that I worked for them.

I worked at Michigan Department of Corrections

Pros

You know I can't think if anything good to say right now except that it's a job that pays decent. Just don't loose your mind and sanity.

Cons

You are not protected by anyone except people you work with on the daily basis. If you're in the "click". The union is pretty much worthless. We pay $25 by weekly for nothing. The hiring standards are pretty low. As long as you don't have a felony you'll be hired.

Management is horrible. They promote people that have no idea about the job. Never worked in side of the prison, never know how dangerous it is that what we as corrections officer do. Department is corrupted. It's a "good old boy" system.

MDOC

I have been working at Michigan Department of Corrections

Pros

Lots of OT. Great place to work. great stepping stone for those wanting to move up. Not to much bad to say about everything.

Cons

There is a glass ceiling. Like any other government position things tend to be very political. but overall it is a great place to work. lots of opportunity to learn

Good place to work hard to move up

I have been working at Michigan Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Great pay. Great benefits. Good opportunities for promotion within.

Cons

Risky. Losing good things over time.

So many problems-so few answers.

Former Employee - Food Service Leader
    Former Employee - Food Service Leader

I worked at Michigan Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Pay, availability of overtime, challenging, personal growth and learning social issues.

Cons

Food Service was privatized. Very negative work environment. Sexual harassment from older white male staff( including touching body parts even though I addressed that this was unwanted-I did not flirt or lead them down that path). Staff will be as big of an issue as inmates. The good ole boys club still exists but is probably less than it was formerly. Racism from older white male officers (not all but enough). Lack of teamwork. State procedures require us to be a positive example to inmates but so many staff members are poor examples (again-expecially older white male officers)

Stop promoting individuals just because they're officers - look at other options for the coordinators and prison counselor spots. Stop trying to convince older employees to get on board with compliance of discriminatory harassment policy - get rid of them; don't allow the 50+ white male officers to mentor young officers this contributes to the poison that is in the system.

Stabbed me in the back!!

Former Employee - Health Care in New Haven, MI
    Former Employee - Health Care in New Haven, MI

I worked at Michigan Department of Corrections full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked Health Care Department..great hours,great pay, great co-workers,great health benefits.

Cons

Was bullied by my supervisor for 3 years..state did nothing about it! Had to leave the job I loved for 10 years due to mental health issues..:(

What you didn't do is still affecting me 6 years later !

world within a world

Former Employee - Corrections Officer in New Haven, MI
    Former Employee - Corrections Officer in New Haven, MI

I worked at Michigan Department of Corrections full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

get to work in a diverse environment. self discovery, overtime, benefits

Cons

schedule, mandatory overtime, negativity (all around), potentially life threatening, co-workers that don't have your back, shanks, shivs, lock-in-a-sock, co-workers that bring in contraband for inmates. power hungry supervisors, fear of layoff or pay-cut from the governor because the public whines about the cost of Corrections in good times but flips when things are crazy.

Remember where you started, if you have never worn the uniform remember that uniformed staff make you look good and bad. Don't power trip, on the street your bars don't mean anything.

Horrible place to work. Don't do it

I have been working at Michigan Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Benefits, that's about it really

Cons

Everything, everything, everything, everything, everything

Fire everyone and start fresh

Ups and downs, stressful sometimes just like any job.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Adrian, MI
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Adrian, MI

I have been working at Michigan Department of Corrections

Pros

Good pay. Some advancement within the state if you have a degree. Corrections is a good starting point. Three day weekends.

Cons

Co workers will stress you more than the inmates. You have to work six days a week to get a day off.

Lots of changes. Always closing prisons and making cuts. Hopefully they wont privativze corrections. I recomend having a degree when working for corrections.