Michigan First Credit Union Reviews

Reset
2.5
Michael D. Poulos

1. Great Place to work!

Pros

Michigan First has a member-first policy! You will feel like you are actually making a difference in someones life while working here.

Cons

Working within a financial institution has strict rules but nothing that anyone wouldn't be able to handle.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, as an intern I feel communication is freely flowing from my management.

2. Teller

Pros

Over time,benefits after 60 days.

Cons

Long days, no job security

365 Live

Former Employee - Member Service Representative
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, overtime, good benefits, rewarding to help members, CEO is awesome

Cons

You start with training, you get all excited about this amazing place you are now working, me personally I thought the culture, the CEO, the whole HR team was amazing, then you get on the floor....you are thrown every which way, training is absolutely HORRIBLE, they sit you with people who don't even want to TRAIN you, then when you are with someone who does want to train you they don't gibe amp enough of time because it is SO busy and they are micro managing every second of their day. I feel bad for the members. Some of our policies don't even make sense to me, so it is hard to make the policy make sense to them. Why do all our members have SUCH a problem with the mobile app? Yet, "There is nothing wrong". THEY DO NOT HIRE WITHIN. It is CRAZY.

Advice to Management

PLEASE FIX the mobile app. our members are not crazy. It really gives them a hard time. CALL center training, training, training. Technology in the call center is WAY behind! Have a FULL call center training class. Lending and Member services can train together! Teach us. Have us all go on the floor together in our own section get on the phones, ready to be assisted with. Our member do NOT need to know when we are being assisted. We can easily tell them to hold. They are patient when we are patient so what is the problem with allowing us to shadow then actually have a section for training representatives to take calls. Teach us and be consistent!!! EVERYONE needs to go back to training in the call center the leader of the call center tells us one thing....example putting a suffix at the end of an account number...then the supervisor tells us a whole different answer. It makes NO SENSE. Do we do it or not? Its as if some of the supervisors are even afarid to find the right answer. Then don't dare speak up! Oh no, that will mean your trying to make a "change" to the environment. I been there for six months and was still inconsistent with other reps because I was never told otherwise. You will call over to another department for help and they will be lost like why don't you know how to do this? Is it or is it not OUR job to do? The teams don't even work well together communication wise. Its like the CEO has no idea how bad it is. The call center is a MESS. Worse I ever worked in.

Long term employee

Pros

This company offers good benefits.

Cons

There is no work life balance for staff and leaders.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible, understanding to the staff and to leaders

6. Worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some coworkers that really care. Competitive pay. Good benefits. Focus on service and technology. Biggest pro: I'm not there any longer!

Cons

CEO is completely out of touch. Constantly micro manages. Doesn't trust anyone. Has a strong vision but no idea how to make it happen. Turnover is horrendous. Anyone who approves of CEO doesn't work closely with him. He puts on good show for new employees and at biannual team building days. Don't believe it. It's his way or the highway. It's a cult. If you have any ideas or your own you'll be blacklisted.

Advice to Management

Employees are your greatest asset, learn to appreciate and trust them. Work/life balance is critical. Get a new CEO who has a clue. Don't expect all employees to complete same new hire class.

7. Horrible place to work for anyone not management

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, a lot of nice people there that are trying to do the best they can. Despite the glaring weaknesses of the company, they genuinely do care about their membership and trying to help them out.

Cons

Severely understaffed. Horrible work/life balance because of the lack of staffing but no compensation or gratitude shown towards those that go above and beyond their duties or those that work extra hours. Company constantly tells you how great it is to work there and makes you recite a pledge every day where you have to say how privileged you are to work there but does nothing to back that up. Management pits departments against each other instead of taking responsibility for anything.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and treat your current employees like people with lives outside of work instead of making them do the work of 2 or 3 people and then telling them how lucky they are.

8. I can't believe I lasted as long as I did

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay.

Cons

A forced family feel. They try to create a feeling of a fun environment but it's really not. It's really dull, there's not enough staff for the membership, people are overworked, they are not listened to and the turnover is extremely high. I felt like I was suffocating in this place. They don't hire internally. Instead, the find outsiders to fill high paid positions. Too many shades of gray here. No uniform rules across the board. This leads to chaos and confusion. The culture is a joke. Leadership programs... a joke. The leaders... a joke.

Advice to Management

Staff better! Especially in branches like Gratiot, Evergreen and Wyoming. Hire internal candidates! Give us proper training.

9. Part Time Teller

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union part-time

Pros

Friendly staff good company morals

Cons

No room for moving up

10. Michigan first

Pros

Awesome environment with friendly employees. I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Not a real exciting place to work. Very mundane office environment.

Advice to Management

Work on office comradery but other than that i enjoyed it!

11. I recommend

Pros

Work life balance is good.

Cons

leadership is not so good.

RSS Feed </> Embed