Michigan First Credit Union
www.michiganfirst.com Lathrup Village, MI 150 to 499 Employees

Michigan First Credit Union Reviews

Updated Mar 16, 2014

Michael D. Poulos

Great place to start and finish

Teller (Former Employee)
Lathrup Village, MI

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company is truly a great place to work. Most of all of the branches are new and remodeled. Coming to work in a clean environment where everyone takes pride in their own success is great. Tons of perks working here from NCAA game tickets to NBA, NFL, and MLB. There is not a lot of bureaucracy as the high level managers often mingle with tellers at the headquarters location.

ConsLong hours, stubborn membership base, high turnover for those who aren't a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on putting more people on development plans. Having career development outlined for everyone would be great, not just for some people.

Management is out of touch and attempts to "brainwash" with their work culture.

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's probably a good place to work if you're a teller / banker, but not so for any kind of internal non-customer facing position.

ConsManagement seems to think that everyone should follow a special culture and is out of touch with reality. They'll have you sit through upwards of 50 hours worth of customer service training and hearing about their company "isms" instead of letting you actually work. This goes for anyone, not just customer-facing positions. They value personality more than talent and don't know how to properly manage their resources within the departments. Lack of experience and friend to friend hiring / promoting results in poor corrupt management, which is basically what this is.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean the slate and start fresh. Don't waste employee's time with training that is not needed. Lastly, don't sell the position as something it's not. You might be hired for a specific job, but you'll probably be doing something other than that 40% of the time.

A company on the verge of either a breakthrough or failure, at the same time

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get decent insurance, it is not expensive. Free tickets to sporting events/concerts is fun. If you love dealing with problematic people, this will be your dream job.

Consmembers experience and expectations, regardless of how unrealistic or uncivil they are, are always put ahead of employees. Management does not back their employees in enforcing policies. Very commonly put the front line employees tellers/fsrs against the members with their decisions to appease an individual instead of enforcing company policies that should apply to all.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo career paths, no growth if you are not working at headquarters. Certain locations see no advancement at all. You measure the wrong metrics. Wait times are meaningless when people leave mad regardless of how long or how little they waited.

Too many VP's and managers. Headquarters is an old boys club full of warm bodies and mouth breathers. We witnessed rotating managers sitting in offices staring out of windows all day as they were entirely useless.

Very little supervision of the branches from upper management, they run as stand-alone units. Not enough locations so branches are over-packed with members. Technology is outdated and is very burdensome.

The multiple reviews in here noting high-turnover and mysterious firings are very true. People would disappear at the end of their shift, with no explanation. Your promotion was never based on merit or performance, rather the premise of whether you were friends with your manager or not. Majority of people 10+year employees with no promotion at all.

Overall, the best bet would be to fire the majority of your managers and start anew. That is the best way to enforce 'culture shock'. CEO is the most talented asset the company has, the problem is his management doesnt enforce the majority of his principles.

Training is very poor. Everyone goes through the same training regardless of your specialty.

Overall good learning experience but cannot imagine working there for more than two years.

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros- Health insurance is decent.
- Matching 401K.
- A lot of individuals with good work ethic and attitude. (These people are rarely recognized)
- Great for someone who wants an "in" to gaining work experience within the financial industry.
- "Bank" Holidays

Cons- Although the core values are posted all over the walls, management does not instill these values among the company culture. (Actually quite the opposite from my time there)
- Basically the more you don't do and delegate to others, the better of a "manager" you are.
- If a certain person at the top doesn't like you, then you will mysteriously disappear due to termination.
- There are never metrics used when you are considered for advancement, it basically gets measured by how much senior management likes you.
- If you are not a VP (in most departments...not all) then your input is useless, even though you are most likely doing all of the work that the VP will provide to the CEO.
- There was an extremely high turnover rate while I was employed. Especially within vital departments such as HR, Marketing, Member Services and the branch employees (who are the core of the business's front-line communication).

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more open communication with your teams and find a new leader. Unfortunately that last factor determines much of the lag and bureaucracy that happens within the organization. If you want member's reviews of the company to change, then make changes that are truly needed from within. Things will only get worse or remain stagnant if change is not implemented.

Poor management hurts what could be a great place to work

I have been working at Michigan First Credit Union

ProsDecent compensation. Lots of nice people. Good benefits. Most people there really do care about the members. A lot of good attempts by employees to improve the culture and morale there.

ConsPoor work life balance. High turnover. A few bad managers there and the extreme amount of micromanagement by the CEO, who tries to run all of the departments even when he knows no clue how some should be run, really hurt the culture, morale, and the overall quality of the place and its services.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the bad managers and stop micromanaging the good ones so Michigan First can return to being a great place to work.

Toxic culture due to CEO

I have been working at Michigan First Credit Union full-time

ProsSome great employees, strong focus on members.

ConsMicromanagement from CEO, no delegation or trust, stifling culture and rules. Very high turnover, especially at top levels - fired or leave to get away. No work/life balance and unreasonable expectations of leadership. Have lost a lot of terrific people because the CEO has to make all decisions no matter how minor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board needs to wise up about their CEO. Turnover should be a major red flag. You have a lot of skilled leaders - let them do their jobs.

Good place to work if you are a manager

I worked at Michigan First Credit Union

ProsHad good ideas of how they wanted to treat employees.
Constantly trying to motivate employees with incentives.

ConsSo many managers micromanaging teams of 3-4 people. You were either a manger or a nobody.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake managers genuinely care about their employees, not just be nice to them to get them to do things for them.

Outstanding Place to Work

Teller (Current Employee)
Lathrup Village, Oakland, MI

I have been working at Michigan First Credit Union

ProsThe culture is great because we are encouraged to focus exclusively on the member.
Great benefits
Growing company, more opportunity

ConsWe work hard and are expected to always give 5 star service.
Growing so fast, sometimes hard to keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring good employees like me for all the growth we are experiencing. They have done a good job building the credit union and more members keep on coming. Don't worry about some disgruntled ex employees who couldn't make it and make bad comments.

Good Experience but Not A Long Term Career

Teller (Current Employee)
Lathrup Village, Oakland, MI

I have been working at Michigan First Credit Union

ProsPay is better than in most financial institutions.
No weekends needed.
Vacation time is gained quickly.
Medical, Dental, Vision and 401k are exceptional.

ConsNo work/life balance, except for the weekends.
The standing for 7 hours or more is very tedious and physically demanding - even pregnant tellers are required to stand the full shift.
Management has their favorites, which receive better bonuses and promotions.
No advancement unless you are a top seller in products.
Teller's don't get paid for the amount of work they must do, must be a private investigator when it comes to check holds.
Tellers are basically told to hold all checks, if a check comes back NSF, that's an automatic verbal reprimand, write up and possibly termination.
Limits for tellers are horrible, limits aren't raised regardless of tenure if a check comes back.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourselves in the position of the workers and actually listen to your employees. Offer advancement based on the person's actual skills not based on them just selling products.

Very unhappy.

I have been working at Michigan First Credit Union

ProsNo weekends, workday ends at five.

ConsThe company culture is oppressive.

Worked for Michigan First Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michigan First Credit Union reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michigan First Credit Union CEO Michael D. Poulos . All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Michigan First Credit Union employees.