Michigan House of Representatives

Andy Dillon

Communications Manager

Former Employee - Communications Manager in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Communications Manager in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

No cons! Great group of writers and editors -- Everyone is hard working, passionate, and charismatic. Great environment to learn about Michigan's state government, current legislature, and public policy.

Very stressful job, with terrible management, dirty politics, and poor compensation.

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives

Pros

Good entry level experience. You get to gain experience in communication, public relations, customer service and of course politics and government affairs. If you are passionate about politics and government then this would be a good place to start your career, but definitely not build a career.

Cons

Working conditions vary greatly depending on office. Management depends entirely on one person and most of the Reps have absolutely no experience managing staff. Their are a lot of dirty politics that goes on as well. Representatives and the minority and majority leader force their staff to contribute money to the caucus as well as up to 20 days of their own time off. So basically while you do get time off, it is required to be devoted to door to door campaigns. I was sick and was forced to go to work multiple times because my boss wanted to make sure 100 percent of my time off went to door to door campaigning. If you don't contribute the money or don't fulfill the 20 days (or more) of walk time then you are threatened with being let go. Additionally there are a lot of dirty politics that goes on. In my office, political work was completed in the office, which is against federal laws. Some bosses forced their staff to do political/ fundraising work in the office despite the staffs hesitation because it was illegal. I ultimately left because I morally didn't agree with the tasks my boss was requiring me to do since I did not want to break the law by managing her fundraising in the HOB. I am not saying that all offices are like this, but I would say that it was the majority and everyone knows who does it but nobody works to reform it. Work life balance can also be very difficult. the Reps depend on you to be available 100 percent of the time and be able to provide what they want the minute they want it. The pay is awful-there is no other way to put it. This is not a job you go into to make money. I know many staffers who have law degrees and make less than 30,000 a year.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more staff protection from non partisan team of policies and procedures. Need to reform the way they require staff to contribute to political campaigns. I also believe a non partisan team should have some presence in individual office management, since too much power is in the hands of one person, the Representatives

3. Good entry level job

Current Employee - Digital Media Manager in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Digital Media Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan House of Representatives full-time

Pros

good hands on experience, get to work with a diverse set of people

Cons

not busy for what it is, little collaboration between departmens

Great if you love dirty politics

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really can't say there were any pros to this job.

Cons

Management was terrible. Supervisor was a micro manager and a little crazy. Pay was terrible and there was no work-life balance. They start you with 5 weeks vacation...but you are expected to use it in order to work on campaigns.

Advice to Management

if you give some one 5 weeks vacation let them use it for vacation.

6. Great learning experience

Former Employee - Legislative Assistant in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college. My boss was easy to work for and helped me build my skills. It also provided valuable networking opportunities.

Cons

The job isn't secure since the offices change over often due to term limits and elections. It's not really an option for a long term career.

Not bad, but not the best

Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet and work on issues of importance to citizens. Kind of cool working with state legislators.

Cons

Not enough pay; little chance of advancement.

Advice to Management

Compensation needs to be higher in order to attract and retain workers.

8. Good Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Experience, interesting people to work with

Cons

The pay isn't great, and the horus can be long

Advice to Management

More Pay

9. A tale of two cities

Former Employee - Legislative Director in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Legislative Director in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to network, doesn't often require overtime (although this may vary depending on your status or which department or legislator you work for), connection to Michigan legislation and politics, allows employees to gain first hand knowledge of the legislative process.

Cons

No due process as an employee. (You can expect your benefits to change with less than 48 hours notice depending on the instruction from the "leadership."), lack of employees with a bachelor's degree or higher (both elected officials and staff), great differences in compensation for people in identical positions, no long term job security (particularly if you are employed in a partisan office), most positions require (informally of course) staff members to make donations to political organizations from their salary and/or require you to use your personal time to campaign during the election cycle, or else your job may be put in jeopardy.

Great entry level position

Current Employee - Legislative Aide in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Legislative Aide in Lansing, MI

Pros

Exposure to different levels of political life- lobbying, legislative offices, departments.

Cons

You work in an office with only one other person, so sometimes interactions can be sparse and uncomfortable. You also sacrifice a lot of free time since you work in politics.

11. Great for just-out-of-college liberal arts majors

Current Employee - Legislative Assistant in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Legislative Assistant in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan House of Representatives

Pros

Great benefits, great working environment if you meet enough colleagues in the same party as you, you do have the opportunity to make an impact on people's lives

Cons

Your job is only secure until the next election, if you're working for a state rep, which means you have 2 years of total job security. It is fairly easy, however, to find a new job if your Representative loses his/her re-election race or is term-limited from seeking office again as Legislative Assistants have constant networking opportunities

Advice to Management

Make sure that communication is clear and focused to individuals and there is enough opportunity for growth to management positions

RSS Feed </> Embed