Micro Center
www.microcenter.com Hilliard, OH 1000 to 5000 Employees

Micro Center Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Richard M. Mershad

Pros:
  • "Employee Discount can be significant depending on the product"
    in 14 reviews
  • "We look at our associate's work-life balance and try to accomadate as much as possible"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours and uncertain pay can make it hard to support a household"
    in 5 reviews
  • "no match on 401k, retail hours, advancement can take some time due to small number of stores"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sales Supervisor

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Micro Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Pay, not bad hours for management 45 average. Increases during holidays

ConsLimited Advancement, antiquated business style

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is no longer the 80's the stores look more modern but our methods haven't changed

Not very impressed

General Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Micro Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThe training was the best aspect of the job, they keep you up on all the latest tech and the vendors frequently hand out some nice promotional items.

ConsHours: If you're full time you will get 40+, but you might leave at 11:00 PM and be back in at 8:00AM the next morning. Management: The GM is extremely negative and condescending.

They had really high turn overs for a reason

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Sharonville, OH

I worked at Micro Center part-time for less than a year

ProsThe technology and the discount and the people were awesome, made a lot of friends there

Consmanagement was horrible, everything there was all sales, so they only cared about their sales guys and were kinda disrespectful to everyone else

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your people like people and hire people interested in computers that'd help alot

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It used to be a good place to work but the management has really gone down the tubes.

General Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Micro Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe benefits are good. If you like technology it's great because you get to play with all the latest gadgets. Associates are friendly and knowledgeable.

ConsManagement is constantly looking for new ways to cut costs by shifting non-selling tasks onto the sales associates. As a result a sales person will spend 50% of their time making $4 an hour merchandising, processing trucks, LP, ect.
Expect to be scheduled most days either 3 hours before the store opens or 2 hours after the store closes processing trucks or merchandising.
Loss prevention falls almost entirely on sales associates so expect to be blamed for any shoplifting that occurs.
While the sales supervisors are top notch, their bosses, the RSM and GM are lazy and incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a store that does twice the sales volume a year than what it was built for they have outgrown their business model of relying on the sales people for everything. It affects customer service when salespeople are distracted by other tasks.

Abysmal. Little chance to make any money, but easy to spend a lot of time trying.

Sales Associate - Build Your Own (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Micro Center full-time for less than a year

ProsYou do get to see (but not touch) the newest and coolest technology

ConsBeing 100% commission based, the store is only concerned with IT'S bottom line, and will therefore significantly over-staff the sales floor (I was in Build-your-Own). There are a finite number of sales that walk in the door. Splitting them among 12 people does those 12 people less service than if 4 or 5 were working instead. The remaining 7 or 8 just get to stand around doing non-selling stuff like stocking, fronting, cleaning...at $4/hr.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the staffing levels to something reasonable. There's a reason that only the guys who blockade themselves in front of the processors case make any money at all.

Excellent pay for the amount of work

Systems Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Marietta, GA

I have been working at Micro Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMicro Center provides and excellent place to get started in a techie world. Pay is above average once you hit the sales floor. Very flexible hours. Vacation pay for part and full time. Lots of perks from vendors.

ConsThis companies appears to care about some stores over others (More-so in appearance than anything)...Also most associates are using very dated computers to assist customers - sometimes can be a bit annoying when you are selling the newest, but the customer questions why a computer store is using the oldest.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is actually very good. No real complaints.

Customer Service Rep

I have been working at Micro Center part-time for less than a year

ProsThe employee was good, The people I worked with made the job bearable,

ConsI liked working working for this company when I was there but as time went I wanted to leave. I can understand be fired for messing up is one thing. But being banned from the store is a whole different issue.

If your fired from micro center your are banned for life.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your banning former employee policies.

Ashamed to have been an employee

Westbury, NY

I have been working at Micro Center part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Employees make it somewhat fun. One hour lunch breaks. Comissioned salary. That is all that is good with this job.

ConsToo many to justify working there. Condescending Management. Too cheap to advertise, so they rely on the cashiers capturing customers' email, you get in trouble if you don't. Degrading job.

A huge time commitment, even for part-timers

Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Micro Center part-time for less than a year

Pros-Plenty of hours
-Employee Discount can be significant depending on the product.
-Workload is relatively light/unstressful

Cons-As a part time employee, I was required to work over 50 hours per week. When asked if I would be moved to full time, managers said no.
-There are always at least two managers working at any given time. They were often disagreeing on certain things. For example, when I requested a day off due to an emergency, one of the managers said yes and the other said no. I didn't get the day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page!

you can only make money in selling computers or televisions, if they don't hire you in that division don't bother

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Yonkers, NY

I worked at Micro Center full-time for less than a year

Prosno cap on commission, management is nice to work around your schedule, gives bonus for sale of certain items

Conspeople must come in and buy something to make money, you can really only get a huge paycheck if you sell service plans

Advice to Senior Managementat least give minimum wage before commission to increase employee moral

Worked for Micro Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Micro Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Micro Center CEO Richard M. Mershad. All 124 reviews posted anonymously by Micro Center employees.