Micro-Coax

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
2.9

Chris Kneizys

If you work hard then you will love this job and flourish here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Micro-Coax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees on the production side of the house are out of this world great. They are reliable, professional, smart, funny,down to earth people. The employees who are not like that are weeded out quickly. There is no attendance policy, get your 40 hours however way youd like. Overtime is a plus and you can get up to 15-20 hours a week if you want to go that mile. The benefits are wonderful, good health insurace including dental and vision. Profit sharing checks twice a year. Training is great here. You will be trained by someone who knows every aspect of the job you were hired for. And on top of that everyone in my department was always asking if they could help me or if i needed help. You are really part of a team. Thats all the noticeable pros that come to mind. Bottom line is that you get out what you put in. If you have a lazy work ethic and you are not a team player then you wont have a good taste in your mouth about this company. Micro-Coax holds its employees to a higher standard than other companys and if you dont hold yourself to a great standard then get your bags packed.

Cons

With most companys there is always quarrels between managment and employees but the trend is more common here. Dont get me wrong, some managers are great and will listen to you, help you out whenever you need it, do what they can to provide you whatever you need to do great and look out for their departments. Its not really the managment that is a con, it is the engineers who appear to automatically be a manager. Engineers get to completely disregard any chain of command and they do not listen to you whatsoever. Sometimes if i have something to say I literally see it go in one ear and out the other of an engineer. I believe they are that way is because they have free reign from the President to do so.

Some of the equipment and materials we recieve is not the best, but as long as you are trained properly then you will be able to get along just fine.

The one thing I feel in a negative way about is my opinion doesnt matter and the morale among the department employees doesnt matter.

Listen to your employees, we could actually teach you a thing or two.

Dont set unreachable goals. I understand going above and beyond with being reliable but sometimes you need to take morale into account.

Listen to your employees, Listen to the workers, Listen to the people under you.

Raises and merits are pointless when they are only 2%. That makes us production workers feel very disrespected and not appreciated.

Don't interview

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Micro-Coax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friday's are half day. They have an interesting products.

Cons

After taking seven tests, I was told I was not a fit for the company. They are more focused on the results of tests instead of the experience level or professional recommendations. I've held senior level positions and found that they are not interested in finding quality people that can take them to the next revenue level. They also have no regard for people's time.

Give some thought to experience and talent.

I had a wonderful summer at Micro-Coax.

Former Employee - Co-Op in Pottstown, PA
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Pottstown, PA

I worked at Micro-Coax as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company was very focused on quality, which was evident in every project I worked on. Everything is double and triple checked, which takes time, however in a technical industry like this it is definitely necessary. This was my first internship and I was definitely nervous going into it, however my coworkers were all very friendly and eager to help me with everything I needed.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Hire more people!

Most stressful time of my life

I worked at Micro-Coax

Pros

Year round half day Fridays were great

Cons

Micromanagement
    Very old school
    gets bogged down in pointless details
    solicits information from surveys and then feels the data isnt true
    no public transportation

It would be like talking on deaf ears

A Very Stressful Place To Work

Current Employee - Technician in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Technician in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Micro-Coax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many floor-levels employees are helpful. Four hour workday on Fridays. OK if you find a low-visibility niche position to stay under the radar.

Cons

Upper management and HR are utterly indifferent to the welfare of the workers. Any new equipment is immediately moved into the production department while the technicians are forced to make do with the oldest junk in the building. The company picnic is held on company grounds and consists of a couple of hours off, after which employees are expected to return to work to finish their shift! The pay raises are all in the 2% range, which means that your first day on the job is when your salary buying power is at its peak. Any absences or mistakes at all (any mistakes are documented) are reasons for management to decrease your measly 2% raise. They are now forced to use agencies to hire from since almost no employees recommend to their friends to work here.

Stressed employees make mistakes and are less productive than happy employees. You want us to work harder? Then be nice(er). Diverting increased profits into frivolous pet projects rather than increased profit-sharing checks affects morale and therefore productivity.

No free rides here!

I have been working at Micro-Coax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Private ownership - no Wall Street theatrics
    Plenty of opportunities for Engineers, Scientists, etc.
    Stability and consistent growth

Cons

You have to pull your weight, here. This business is lean and mean. That's one reason why they can still survive as a manufacturer in North America.
    The work is very technical, so it is hard to find a non-technical job.

This is the tough part. I am a member of the Management, so if you believe some of these reviews, I am part of the problem. On the other hand, I started my career with this company, 25 years ago in a co-op position. I was fortunate enough to have some good mentors and the drive to further my education. The company kept growing and it was all I could do to grow with them. I remember we had 55 employees, then 75, then 85, then 75, then 105, then 120, 150, 140, 220. You get the idea. Generally speaking, we grow. Sometimes we have to shrink a little, but then we grow some more. There are always some growing pains, and we are not perfect, so some people end up not lasting and not liking us.

Mismanaged Talent

Current Employee - Engineer in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Micro-Coax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a high priority put on quality and safety. I beleive that these two particular values are what keep a large number of people engaged in the work they do. It feels good to end up with a superior product at the end of the day, no matter what it is.

The people who work there are, in most cases, the greatest part of working there. There is a general level of cohesiveness between the people which in my opinion is the result of a bit of a paradox. Many people are very dissatisfied with the way decisions are made and what initiatives are ultimately deemed important, that there is an us against them attitude that brings the worker-bees together. I also think that synergy is such a rarity that people are extremely eager to be treated as equals when approaching a problem that needs solving. The management occasionally pays the people lip-service by saying the cliche that 'you are our greatest asset' but the proof isnt there. There are many people with very unique and valuable skills to Micro-Coax that have been marginalized and otherwise turned off by the toxic culture who are at the end of their rope.

Opportunity to wear many hats is here, but unfortunately, none of it is defined well. Quickly establish your niche and you may have good success

You can have the opportunity to interact with many people here, depending on job function. Getting to know the people who do the different functions around here is important and interesting.

There are many people who have worked here a long time (12+ years). Its interesting to glean insight from the aggregate experience they have has as they have moved around the company and moved up to different responsibilities. These people tend to be very knowledgeable and its quite fascinating to see them do their job well, whether they work in production, sales, engineering, tech department, maintenance, or managment.

Cons

Distrust between the management and everyone else. Management can't trust the president and the other employees cant trust management. I dont think the management is to blame, but they are the ones left holding the bag.

Micro-Coax often touts the 'small business' card and its only true in physical numbers. Many of the policies and approaches to every day work are far better suited to larger companies than the smaller one that Micro-Coax is. What you end up with is a small company that is sluggish (turn-around time on just about everything in the company, both internally and externally with the exception of a few departments is embarrasingly and frustratingly slow) and difficult to navigate and solve every-day problems. Politics are big and the adage, 'perception is reality' applies across the board.

Pay increases are minimal for the most part. There are large raises available under abnormal circumstances but most people I have talked to have experienced a decrease in thier standard of living since having started here, despite positive performance reviews (hourly and salary alike). Bonus checks are certainly appreciated, and I may appear to be looking a gift horse in the mouth here, but a one time bonus check in lieu of an appropriate raise doesn't give the feeling of confidence in the growth that has been achieved by everyone.

Measures of success are often gauged by indirect means. Efficacy of a department may be measured by how many new widgets they put out when the number of widgets that exist has no real correlation to the value that they add to the company nor the quality of widgets that exist. Similarly, the efficacy of an an employee may be measured by their performance on a small portion of their job. What are our improvement metrics accomplishing?

Tools for success are sometimes not available.

There seems to be only narrow paths for career development and moves tend to be lateral for younger professionals (new dept, new area of the business, new initiative) rather than moves that will actually develop skills relevant to your career. A common track for engineers tends to move them to more of a supervisory role.

Innovate. Prices of product are getting higher with no added value, even with repeat business. Customers often express frustration with the high prices and long lead times.

Actually pay attention to the employees. There is a great deal of resources put into characterizing your employees, on a cognitive and psychological level upon interviewing and hiring. It would seem wise to actually apply that knowledge to put people where they belong and empower them to do the best work possible for the company. A happy employee tends to be worth more than an unhappy one. You've already paid for this information, its a shame it doesnt get used to its highest potential.

Communicate with the employees more and try to ensure everyone is on the same page. Its much easier to work together when we all know what the big task is and also what the little tasks are too.

Set a positive example for the people under you, and everyone else for that matter. You have been chosen to help guide the direction of the company and people often look to you for guidance. People take notice when you overtly or otherwise take a position personally against someone.

Do whatever you can to bridge the gap between employees and yourself & the president. The us vs. them perception is promoted by certain attitudes. For example, management team review on this website rife with aloof disregard of other reviews (lets remember these reviews are the thoughts of employees, roughly half of which are current employees) show the amount of distrust propogated at the highest level in this company.

great place to have a career--plenty of opportunities to shine and develop if so inclined

I have been working at Micro-Coax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great co-workers; family atmosphere, relatively low turnover, flexible hours--work 1/2 days on Fridays. Lot's of focus on employee feedback. Really enjoy working for my supervisor.

Cons

A little far outside Philadelphia in the Pottstown/Limerick area. A lot of policies and procedures.

Keep engaging your employees to solicit their ideas.

Staff

I have been working at Micro-Coax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people...smart intelligent workforce that is passionate about delivering the best to our customers. We get along well and work together as we tackle challenging work. Company is increasing it efforts to provide development opportunities for employees. Company has been very successful in the past few years and sharing the success with staff with bi annual profit sharing bonuses. See more people getting promoted now than before. Micro-Coax seems to be on the right track! Love half day Fridays too!

Cons

Since we are a problem solving business, we take a critical review in everything we do. This helps in improvement activity but sometimes we dwell more on the negatives than the positives.

Continue the work you have done in the past year to focus on developing your employees and focusing on problem solving our big issues.

Overall good experience.

I have been working at Micro-Coax

Pros

All employees are very friendly. Employees are cross-trained throughout departments providing an interactive environment.

Cons

The rural location of the Pottstown facility create long commutes with heavy traffic if living by the Philadelphia area.

Micro-Coax Photos

Micro-Coax 50 years in business...proven reliable.

+ Add Photo