MicroEdge Reviews

MicroEdge CEO Kris Nimsger
Kris Nimsger

1. Growing software company with good people

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, positive people. No micro-managers and people are all striving for the same goal. Very flexible working hours and ability to work from home is a huge plus. Good meritocracy - the smart ideas that will positively affect the organization will win out.

Cons

Because its a small market the revenue isn't quite there for maximum earning potential for what you do. The organization can feel disparate at times - many people working remotely and not a lot of cross departmental collaboration. Could use more opportunities to foster employee interaction.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Keep listening to your teams and building on the strong growth in the past few years.

Sep 8, 2014Director of HR & Recruiting

Loving your "pros" list! We work at keeping our remote employees feeling like a part of things, and have systems in place to foster that cross departmental interaction you're talking about. Would ... More

2. Great leadership, collaborative culture

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Real people, excellent training, very collaborative and supportive culture. Invests in training and advancing employees.

Cons

Need to rely on a lot of entry level staff. Broad product knowledge required and very process-focused responsibilities with lean staff. No 401K match.

Advice to Management

Add 401K match to benefits,

3. Good people, good mission, but salary and benefits could use some work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time

Pros

There is a great culture at MicroEdge! They really try to bring employees from all the departments and offices together for fun activities. Small company with high visibility to senior team members. The CEO,& CFO have a true open door policy. Paid time off to volunteer is also nice.

Cons

Salary is on the lower end for a software company and there is no 401k match. Doesn't offer a lot of room for growth in many of the smaller departments.

Sep 8, 2014Director of HR & Recruiting

Thanks for your feedback - we're constantly working at keeping folks engaged. Sounds like we're doing lots of things right, according to you!

5. microedge

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at MicroEdge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great small company. moving in the right direction after years of being stagnant.

Cons

no real room for growth because it is small

Growing, yet stagnant...

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time

Pros

This is an excellent company to work for when you're fresh out of college looking for that first job, or looking to break into a different field. The company is very vibrant, young, and exciting, and does a lot of great work with the philanthropic community.

Cons

Most often, MicroEdge adheres to "The Vista Way" of hiring which they call something along the lines of HPLE ("Hipple") meaning high performance, low experience. Essentially, those who are willing to work for next to nothing just to get experience. Frequently these are "kids" fresh out of college who are looking for their first job, or are gaining some experience at the beginning of their careers. You don't frequently find new hires who are in the middle or end of their career.

It seems like the average turn around time for some departments is a year or two, maybe three, or less. You either have employees who have been with the company for many years, likely hired when MicroEdge was owned by another company, or these HPLE employees who are willing to work for experience and aren't necessarily looking for high salaries. They also tend to be at the beginning of their careers.

You may hear from employees hired prior to Vista that MicroEdge, once upon a time, did pay well and had great benefits. It almost seems like a fairy tale sometimes. It is also not uncommon to hear of employees who leave for a $15-$20k raise.

There are sometimes opportunities within the company to advance, but it's frequently moving to another department with a completely different job function. The existing managers and directors have been around for a while and aren't likely to leave any time soon so there's no easily discernible path to breaking into management.

When employees leave, the training programs for their replacements are not always well developed. MicroEdge has DRASTICALLY improved its hiring and general training process, but depending on your department, your individual job training may leave a lot to be desired. There is often a lot of on-the-job training that takes place, which isn't always a bad thing as it gives you practical experience.

The turnover gets to be very high at times -- it sometimes seems as though there is someone leaving every week, although it may be more or less frequent depending on the position and time of year.

The average salary increase is roughly 3-5% per year, which doesn't equate to much when the starting salaries are so low. High performing employees can receive more, while low performing employees can receive less. Bonuses are also partially based on company performance to varying degrees, and I have yet to see a year in which company performance matched company goals and the full payout amount from company performance is awarded.

When you are given your individual goals for the year which indicates the percentage of your bonus potential based on your personal performance and percentage based on company performance, the company performance section isn't published anywhere, and employees are not told what the company goals are. For all the employees know, the goals could be so lofty they are nearly impossible to achieve, thus allowing the company to pay out less in bonus money.

The low salaries are, I believe, a directive from Vista as this is their hiring model -- it has nothing to do with how MicroEdge would LIKE to hire or pay. They are bound by this model and cannot deviate much from it without senior management or perhaps board approval, which doesn't seem to be easy to get.

Even if you stick with the company for a number of years, the fact that you start with such a low salary likely means that you'll never make as much as you would elsewhere.

The intention of this review is not to scare anyone off, but to give a true and accurate depiction of the company so that any applicants know exactly what they're getting into and what they can look forward to in terms of advancement and salary.

Advice to Management

While senior management tends to be very good at what they do, they need to truly understand that they get what they pay for. Paying very little will get you the occasional very talented employee who is willing to work for less than the industry standard, but the amount of time, energy, and resources that are poured into training replacements can surely be better utilized elsewhere. There is always someone new to train, and the only people available to train those replacements are people currently working that job function, which then takes resources away from that team. Even when you do find that very talented employee who brings a lot to the company, you won't keep them for long without making it worth their while.

Increasing salaries begets better and happier employees begets better experiences for clients. Better experiences for clients equates to a smaller attrition rate and higher client satisfaction.

Let your employees know what the company goals are and how that factors into their yearly bonus potential. How can your employees help the company reach goals if they don't know what they are? If employees can have no direct bearing on whether or not the company achieves its goals, how can you justify including that as a factor in their bonuses?

Kris Nimsger is too new to the organization to truly rate but so far seems to be doing well.

Apr 20, 2015Director of HR & Recruiting

You bring up many issues - and some of this has changed with our acquisition by Blackbaud. One thing that won't change is that we'll always look for terrific talent, whether that means we hire for ... More

7. A very welcoming environment that really cares about my success and development.

Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package, PTO, and lots of paid training. Can carry over PTO from year to year.

Cons

Does not match 401k and no sick days. Only negative about PTO is that is must be accrued throughout the year.

Advice to Management

More work day activities for people to participate in!

Apr 20, 2015Director of HR & Recruiting

What a difference a year makes - we have a 401k match, and our PTO doesn't work in exactly the same way - no accrual. I bet you're loving the changes brought by our acquisition by Blackbaud! Happy to ... More

8. Great employer, great people...it's obvious they really care

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership and training. This organization invests a lot in it's people and top performers have plenty of opportunity. Work environment and client base are overwhelmingly positive. Rigorous hiring and training practices lead to top-talent hiring, you will work with very intelligent people.

Cons

Complicated subject matter, there is a lot to learn about the product offerings. Process heavy at times, internal meetings and data entry can get in teh way of performance.

Advice to Management

Key in on fewer, more mission critical processes and make sure those are being tracked fully and accurately.

Apr 3, 2014SR Manager HR & Recruiting

We're so glad you'd recommend us to your friends! You know about our employee referral bonus, right?

Thanks for the positive review - it's awesome people that make this a terrific company.

9. Great opportunity to work alongside a varied workforce

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to interact with a broad section of the company and partner with multiple teams.
    Fellow employees are very welcoming of new hires and there is not the typical "seniority attitude" seen in so many other companies.
    Individuals are actually valued for their opinions and encouraged to find new ways of doing things.

Cons

Salary is not the highest, but the benefits are good. What they lack in significant pay they make up in an aggressive work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Balance out the attention paid to both office. Can feel at times that the concentration is on MN over NY. You get the feeling that at any time an announcement will come that everything will be moving to MN.

Apr 3, 2014SR Manager HR & Recruiting

Thanks for the thoughtful review! We've been working behind the scenes on the NY office build out - wait'll you see it. Would love to hear other ideas: whauser@microedge.com

10. Increase your knowledge and experience while working with dedicated people in a fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work/life balance, great experience, good leadership,

Cons

little to no career advancement once at management level due to size of the company.

Apr 3, 2014SR Manager HR & Recruiting

More than 10 years - woot! And you'd recommend us to a friend. That speaks volumes. Now, let's talk about your career path. Call me...you know my number!

11. Hires on potential not experience

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at MicroEdge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think it is great that MicroEdge Hires on potential and not necessarily experience, It allows people just getting started to really get a head start on their career. I have a great relationship with my manager and my VP and have great access and visibility with the senior management team. ME hires on potential and invests a lot in new employee training, if they like you they are going to want to keep you.

Cons

Working remotely has many advantages, feeling connected to the organization is not one of them. there are a lot of employee engagement inititives that only apply to people in MN or NY.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, continue to listening to your clients and employees.

Apr 3, 2014SR Manager HR & Recruiting

Thanks so much for the five-star review! I'd love to hear your ideas about getting and keeping remote employees engaged. Send me an email? whauser@microedge.com