MicroStrategy

Updated March 2, 2015
2.3

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Pros
  • The vacation time is good and the work-life balance is nothing to complain about (in 41 reviews)

• Great company, flexible working hours, and lots of diversity (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Morale is low and the lower ranks have lost faith in upper management (in 15 reviews)

• international collaboration, good work-life balance, bi training (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company I have ever worked fot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

Some very talented people work at Microstrategy that are willing to work very long hours to meet unreasonable deadlines.

Cons

The executive team surrounding Saylor are "yes" men, afraid to question his unreasonable demands or have a reasonable discussion on any topic. No one is empowered to make any decisions. No training or advancement for employees. Large scale layoffs at Saylor's whim. No long or short term stategy. Most key people have left the company in the last year.

Put in an executive management team to run the company

Senior Production Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Production Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Production Consultant

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

It is challenging job. You are able to work in different environment. You are able to learn different thing.

Cons

Before 2013, the company have got a lot of talent and intelligent people. After that, all people in the company are quite new to the product. They are not knowledgeable like in the past. The expenses are much more strict than before.

Having such a high rate turn over, knowledgeable people do not exist in the company anymore. This makes MicroStrategy consultant is quite comparable to other consulting company. (not outstanding anymore)

Good experience for new grads

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great 6-week training program to learn the MicroStrategy software & get a certification right out of the gate (though apparently they are getting rid of this...)
    - Nice benefits, lots of vacation, 401k matching, amazing gym, etc.
    - Good location next to Tysons mall so you always have many options for lunch
    - Significant performance bonuses if you are a top performer
    - Opportunities for working from home, very flexible schedule
    - Advancement to more technical roles seems to generally be a meritocracy rather than by tenure; however there were rarely opportunities for upward advancement in my department - most promotions were lateral

Cons

- Very corporate "uncool" feel compared to other tech companies your friends might be working at
    - Executive management is changing faster than you can keep track of (not even sure who my boss's boss is anymore)
    - Company is not focusing on its core product in favor of questionable side projects
    - Technical skill development is surprisingly low for a supposed engineering position
    - Advancement to managerial positions is purely by length of tenure
    - Not much work if you're efficient. On a good day, I will do only 2-3 hours of real work.
    - After initial training, professional development is nonexistent. There used to be an Academy program, but they phased it out after the 2014 cutbacks.
    - Low base bay

Focus on the BI platform that made you the company you are and put this Identity stuff on the back burner where it belongs. Even though I've worked here two years, I haven't seen any significant technological advances in the Analytics platform even though that is what is keeping this company in business. Develop a real direction for the BI product so you don't lose out to other market contenders like Tableau.

It seems like most of the recent negative reviews have come from the Technology, Sales, and Professional Services teams, but for what it's worth, my experience on the Support side was largely unaffected by the recent turmoil in the company and still think it would be a good opportunity for fresh grads to get experience at a reputable company (though it remains to be seen whether they can maintain that reputation). The worst that happened on my team is that our weekly donuts & quarterly paid team dinners were phased out.

I honestly believe some of the Support teams are overstaffed and underutilized. In my two years, I can count on one hand the number of days where I felt like I put in a solid day's work, and didn't just surf the internet or wait out the clock. I could have easily handled the workload of 2 engineers on both the teams I worked with.

Love the people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

I took this job thinking I'd retire from here. I loved my job. The people/team I got to work with were great. The environment was awesome. I worked in a more aggressive deadline position, but even then the work life balance was usually pretty good. Benefits were decent. Parking was a bonus.

Cons

Way too many VPs and upper management hired. Not enough people to actually do the work. The VPs and upper management hired quite often have no clue about the field they were hired to work in. The re-org left me with management that made it impossible to do my job since they knew nothing about the subject.

Most people who have made a comment on upper management have absolutely nailed it. Promotions and raises are mostly due to how long you stay, not the work product you produce.

Pay more attention to your management and what they are actually doing (not saying). Make re-organizations that make sense.

Love the people

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Love the people, good work life balance, good location.

Cons

Slow to change but also makes knee jerk reactions, feels like employees aren't listened to sometimes, people put into positions where they have little experience or knowledge of how things are properly done outside of the company. Also feels like a lot of people are jumping ship, making for an uneasy and trepid atmosphere.

Listen to the market and employees, put more people in positions where they are qualified and have experience outside of the company. Pay more attention to employees and keep morale up and with the company or else there will be a brain drain.

No longer a good place to work with

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

None. Because of the crazy executive team, you can't tell whether these good aspects are still true in the near future.

Cons

There used to be many talented people devoting themselves to their projects. But that's the past.
    Bad management team without any long term goal.

Stop the crazy mind and ideas. Make a solid product and respect your people and customers.

Strategy is really min

Current Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Work life balance, flexible time, nice colleagues , good gym and fitness classes for free, parking is easy, near the Tyson mall

Cons

Now? A lot. Reorganization is a mess. Most people have new roles before new release. Gossip everyday , but no announcement for public.

Change the name as macstrategy and be it

Presales leadership lacking; Sales leadership driven with chips on the Shoulder

Former Employee - Senior Presales Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Presales Engineer

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation and technology focus

Cons

Management and ability to work through conflict successfully

It is not always best to promote from within. People who work in the role you are promoting from are not trained to be good leaders, only good individual contributors . Making the leap to leader in management is often not something these folks (especially in presales) are equipped to do successfully.

Innovative Technology, Corporate Atmosphere

Former Employee - Designer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Designer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MSTR was a great place to work if you like building new things, experimenting with technology, and working near a busy area like Tyson's Corner. From my experience, the supervisors are great and the people are nice.

Cons

Lots of college recruits means time is wasted on learning the ropes. The executive team is at the mercy of the shareholders, so massive layoffs and budget cuts are inevitable. The core product is a mess and difficult to work with, and the support/education is focused on older products that are outdated and irrelevant. It seems like all the departments operate at different speeds, causing bottlenecks and wasted efforts. Marketing is not on the same page. We lost major clients because smaller, more effective companies are offering smarter products. In several instances, HR said positive things to employees about their future at MSTR, then weeks later the employees were let go.

Get your departments on the same page. Focus on making the best products better. Either run the company full-time like a proper CEO or let someone more precise take over. Outsource marketing efforts for better results. Don't grow so fast that you need massive layoffs to balance the budget.

Good experience, volatile environment

Former Employee - Visual Designer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are loud enough or ambitious enough, you can make a place for yourself. Experience here is worth something on the resume, and in general. I liked the team I worked with in the last couple years, however most of us were laid off in the first of three rounds of layoffs.

Cons

The infrastructure changes constantly and there seems to always be an aura of change. Some declare for the better, but often it just ends up making people feel unstable and leads to confusion about who is running things. No position is safe and layoffs come random and sometimes big. Many decisions made up above feel arbitrary and several projects (big and small) seem like pet projects. The big ones, unfortunately, often seem to lead the company into a wall. Getting a pay increase when due was like pulling teeth and supervisors came and went often. This lead to awkward yearly reviews, considering the reviewer likely didn't work above me for more than a year.

Focus on stability and listen to the people at the bottom of the totem pole. They feel and see a lot of what you can't. They likely have the best advice when it comes to how things should be done. The more they take ownership of what they do without people over their shoulders, the more they will want to step up to the plate for themselves and the company.