MicroStrategy Reviews

Reset
2.4
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Pros
  • Work-life balance used to be very good (in 41 reviews)

• For most employees you can have flexible working hours (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Egoistic upper management does not care about the success (in 15 reviews)

• work-life balance and really the upper management (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

MicroStrategy is truly a unique company.

Current Employee - Technology Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Microstrategy is working in two very hot industries (enterprise analytics and security). I am seeing lots of really great change in the company and that is paying off for company and employees. Company recently went from annual to quarterly bonus, as an example of more directly connecting contribution to employee benefit.

Cons

Sometime traffic can be a issue getting in and out of office around Christmas time, but have seen decrease in issues over last 6 months.

Advice to Management

Microstrategy had a really good team of employees. Keep doing events like the company all-hands, company picnic, as well as smaller departmental events to continue to connect the team together.

On the up swing

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined MSTR 4 months ago. At first I was hesitant because I had heard they went through a lay-off and the sr. leadership was tough. I took the chance and joined anyway; which I'm super glad I did. The people are awesome; friendly, hard-working, and just generally cool. The people who are here are excited about work and continuing to do well. They just had a company day and are going to keep doing them every quarter. They are continuing to host a lot of fun company events including Food Truck Fridays, Thirsty-Thursdays, etc. The Executives are really starting to hear employees and make positive changes. They recently changed all annual bonuses to quarterly. Score. If you want opportunity, you should look here. If you want to get promoted within, you should look here. A lot of cool things are happening and I'm really glad I joined when I did.

Cons

The Executives expect a lot out of you, but that's a given. There are cons to every job. That's why they call it work, not a vacation.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, we know what we're talking about. Remember, you were once an individual contributor too.

Excellent Company with Excellent CEO

I have been working at MicroStrategy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

MicroStrategy cares about it's employees and shows appreciation in a variety of ways for hard work. Michael Saylor provides employees with resources and tools to be effective and efficient in their job roles. I have worked at the company for almost 2 years now and thoroughly enjoy it.

Cons

The biggest con for me is traffic and commute.

Advice to Management

Continue company outings, and gatherings. It is a good boost for employees.

A company with nice, talented people

Current Employee - HRG in China, MI
    Current Employee - HRG in China, MI

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am working in MicroStrategy China. Compared with my ex-companies which were a German FMCG company and a US bio-pharmaceutical company, I think MicroStrategy has below Pros: nice people, moderate competitive working environment, supportive workmate relationship, work-life balance. I quite enjoy working here.

Cons

As oversea R&D center, sometimes the communication between here and HQ is not efficient and smooth.

MicroStrategy is BACK!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate employees, Strong leadership, awesome products, Technology leader, fun culture: food truck Fridays and Thirsty Thursdays, rebuilding and energizing - solid and positive outlook all around.

Cons

Not too many to mention but 2014 was a tough year and some employees are still unhappy. Morale can be better but I believe we are on the right track.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with your employees, we want to know what's going on and contribute to success of this company.

Best Tech environment in the DC area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MicroStrategy has a new energy that is outshining its past. Technology has moved to an Agile environment, new technologies are being implemented behind an insightful and witty CTO, and management is in tune with employees. New employees are coming in along side successful releases of our latest software platforms, and senior leadership has added to employee morale with quarterly bonuses, inter-company networking, and company paid, food truck Fridays.

Cons

The user experience around legacy, in-house systems and the slow integration of modern SaaS products for business operations can create frustration, however, the goal for easy-to-use, integrated systems will create long term efficiency.

Advice to Management

Keep egos in check, the competition is working hard, or harder to win.

Overall Good Place to Work

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

MicroStrategy offers a great work-life balance and there are a lot of great, smart people that work here. Things are improving fowling a difficult restructuring, but overall seem to be heading in a positive direction. The company is taking steps to boost morale including Company Day, Thirsty Thursdays and Food Truck Fridays.

Cons

Executive communication is lacking, but has also shown some improvement with more frequent newsletters and continuing Company Days.

Company & morale re-boot in full swing

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company offers great benefits, free covered parking and much more in a professional but flexible working atmosphere. There is a lot to do and there are a lot of smart/nice people working here - both of which really help you stay busy and engaged. The company is working hard to change the morale climate now. Quite a few company sponsored summer events!!

Cons

Not many to speak of so it sort of depends on your perspective. Best advice is to do your work well and communicate thoroughly if you have questions, concerns or problems. As long as you follow these steps, you should be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep things going in the right direction!!

Done with the rough patch, it's now safe to work there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Q2-2014 results triggered a massive restructuring and layoff round. You can tell, because the company rating here tanked at exactly the same time. It has taken them 10 months for upper management to get out of stop-the-pain mode and into providing a consistent view of the future.and a clear plan for how we're going to get there. The levels of management flapping are now back to historic averages, and will likely stay that way for a couple more years. This is the time to get on. This company was one of the most diverse companies I've ever worked for. When I was interviewed for a highly technical role, both of my interviewers were not white men. Very rare, and much appreciated. The company is also focusing on employee retention right now, so now is a great time to get on board.

Cons

When things get hard, they get opaque and change can come without warning. There is a strong culture of secrecy in management, so for individual contributors we get sweeping and vast change announced fait-acompli, and we had no idea that our own management was waging wars in meetings for a month beforehand. The company is focusing on revitalizing workplace culture and is not friendly to remote-working. Telecommute has actually gotten harder these days.

Advice to Management

Focus on customer retention in addition to generating revenue. Reducing churn increases value as much as widening the pipeline.

Experiences vary - but so do the employees making reviews

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligence, initiative and action will get you noticed. It seems this may depend on your department and your managers, but it absolutely has been my experience. Most of those who complain seem to be folks who can better their situations from within but choose to gripe instead.

Cons

There are some morale issues and a perception of management "disconnect" but much of this is individual and in any organization there will always be naysayers. What the company needs more of - and of late has been deserving in its own right - is confidence, positivity and production.

Advice to Management

Continue the current efforts to align more closely with the front line and the bottom line, continue the dialogue of late with all stakeholders and look for young, driven, intelligent talent and let them foster initiative and drive ideas more laterally through the organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed