MicroStrategy

Updated January 26, 2015
2.3

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Pros
  • The vacation time is good and the work-life balance is nothing to complain about (in 41 reviews)

• Great company, flexible working hours, and lots of diversity (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Morale is low and the lower ranks have lost faith in upper management (in 15 reviews)

• international collaboration, good work-life balance, bi training (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Leadership

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good product and strong customer base. Unique offering in mobile platform. Competitive pay on the sales side. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Very poor leadership. Everything is funneled through CEO...EVERYTHING. This makes processes painfully slow. Ironically, changes to structure and processes are frequent, creating a disastrous and unpredictable environment with an extreme lack of communication.

Get rid of CEO. Don't hire any more lawyers.

Rock bottom

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

After last year’s shakeup you can always find a parking spot in the average Joe parking lot. The lot for the executives is much more crowded, but that only concerns 40% of our employees. Another big plus is that the plastic spoons came back, using sporks for your soup was quite inconvenient.

Cons

Cons: Micromanaging is not the correct dimension, we are talking of zepto or even yocto management. It’s beyond painful, my nanny gave me more responsibilities in daycare.

Change it.

MicroStrategy used to be a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Current Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Having an opportunity to work with the extremely talented and smart people that are left after the layoffs and mass amounts of voluntary attrition. The vacation plan and benefits are good.

Cons

Everything else...to include a complete lack of direction, no vision or go forward strategy, never ending change and turmoil at the top, no hiring except for more and more unnecessary VPs, barely any women in senior leadership roles, questionable decision making, and a complete lack of communication from the executive team aside from infrequent pointless all hands calls and long e-mails that don't address any of the issues that people are concerned about or the questions they are asking.

Morale is incredibly low and is only getting worse. The people who are left are demotivated and overworked as they are picking up the slack from everyone who has resigned and left the company since the layoffs started back in September. There is no decision making power outside of the CEO's office and very few people, if any, have the ability to influence the direction, structure, or compensation for own their teams anymore. It is apparent that the CEO only appreciates complete agreement based on his latest "circle of trust". He doesn't listen to feedback from anyone who doesn't agree with him, not even from the high level executives that he hired to run various parts of the business that are only looking to implement best practices in their organizations.

MSTR has never had a strong or well-rounded Education program for internal employees, but we were well known for our 6 week bootcamp training that resulted in the MCD (MicroStrategy Certified Developer) certification. All new technical employees received this training upon joining the company. This is now going away and there are rumors that it will be replaced by a one week bootcamp that will simply be a crash course in our products. It is bad enough that there is no formalized continuing education programs for technical or professional skills, but to eliminate the one big investment that the company was making in a large number of our employees to get them basic MSTR skills is incredibly disappointing.

Our customers and partners are acutely aware of the dysfunction happening at MSTR and it is beginning to affect our sales cycles. Companies are starting to not want to be associated with us, candidates aren't interested in joining the company, and a large majority of the current employee base is actively looking to leave the organization.

If I had reviewed this company even 6 months ago, my feedback would have been completely different. Unfortunately this seems to be consistent with the recent reviews and also the trend reporting. I hope that MSTR can turn things around however, it will take some drastic positive changes from the top and I've lost confidence that this will happen any time soon.

Stabilize the company before it's too late. Create a vision and a strategy that looks ahead more than 1 month, use this to create organizational goals for your executive team and then let go of the reins. Create policies and programs that encourage top performance and provide development opportunities to the people you have left. Finally, take a few leadership courses to understand what it takes to inspire and motivate people towards a common purpose so that your employees can believe in your vision and get behind it, once you have a vision.

Not recommended right now

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employees are hard working and very sharp. There is a solid 6-week training program for new hires in technical positions. The employees support each other.

Cons

The company is currently in a lot of turmoil. There have been several restructures lately with minimal communication, creating massive change management issues. Many of the employee-trusted,long term executives and management have left the company. The perception is the the CEO has pushed them out to bring in folks that will not question his ideas or corporate plans. This has caused a massive shift in work/life balance where executives are providing minimal value or direction to the company and the employees trying to hold the company together are working extremely long hours, under large amounts of stress. When management is questioned, they rarely provide answers to future direction, reasons for changes, or why something is being done today. When they do answer, they appear as baffled by some of the decisions being made as the rest of the employees and often imply that it was what was demanded of the CEO. Thus continuing the cycle of mis-trust that has encapsulated MicroStrategy in 2014. My hope is that this is a temporary problem that can begin to resolve itself in the next 6-months to 1-year.

I recommend the executives conduct open forums with employees to begin gaining their trust again. The biggest issue is with the perception of the CEO and his new executive crew. If the executive crew can openly discuss topics with their employees it will break the rumor-mill and enable employees to make decision based on direct information. This will quickly increase trust and start to build back the relationship between executive management and the rest of the company.

D.I.S.G.U.S.T.I.N.G.

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

I have spent less than a year in this madhouse and hated every single day. There is nothing good about this company. Except for your last day when you walk out and feel like finally waking up from a nightmare.

Cons

Think of everything you despise in corporate life: zero strategy or direction and changing priorities every week, complete disregard for customers and the market, internal politics so bad you cannot imagine, insane and incapable senior management that suck it up all day, a CEO who is totally nuts and publicly known as a clown, a toxic blame culture and much more...at MicroTragedy you get all of this every day.

This is for sure the worst company I have ever seen and I have heard many others say the same. No normal person can stay in this environment for long, except for the yes-men who hang in there since a decade or longer and who are co-responsible for this tragedy. They don't know better, they have never seen anything different, let alone worked in a good company. For them Sailor's insanity is normal and they suck it up every day and are no different.

In the short time I have been there (and I regret every single day as a complete waste of my time) I have seen several great and experienced leaders join (presumably they were lied to just as myself in terms of what to expect). Not a single one is left. They all quit after they saw what is going on and moved on to a better place. Which is what I am doing now.

Bottom line: this has been the biggest mistake of my career and I am writing this to prevent others from falling into the same trap.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. Incompetence mixed with a complete lack of leadership skills and bad character is all you got. If you had any dignity you would just quietly resign.

"Micro" strategy turned Macro Trategy

Former Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm trying to think of some Pros and I honestly can't. DNA is so toxic that there's absolutely no reason for anyone sane to explore employment here. All solid employees (across Technology, Sales, Services and Leadership) are long gone. Existing workforce is made of mediocre monkeys who can't find jobs elsewhere.

Cons

Recenetly removed all perks, mobile phones, conference numbers and promotions. Besides, CEO lost his mind and the company is trying to reinvent itself in the enterprise security space which is a joke.

Stop lying to yourself

A sad failure of what could have been a great enterprise

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None. The CEO and executive team are devoid of any empathy for their employees. They are focused on personal enrichment.

Cons

1. A CEO who does not care if his employees live or die
    2. A spineless board of directors who exist to serve the whims of the CEO
    3. A complete lack of governance at the executive and board levels - anyone who reads the company filings can follow the pattern of stock option grants, policies that allow board members to bring their friends and family on the company jet etc.
    4. Lack of a coherent technology direction

1. Replace the CEO
    2. Replace the board
    3. Bring in a strong sales executive
    4. Refocus on analytics

Started out good, but moving down hill now

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Started out with good pay, bonuses, and work-life balance. There was potential to grow and move up for the first couple years.

Cons

Upper management (mainly CEO) has restructured in a way that does not make since. Raises are the bare minimum, and bonuses are laughable to what they used to be. The work-life balance is ok, but they cut work-from-home. Also, if you want a company phone, or even if your job requires it, you have to pay for it yourself.

Stop micromanaging departments. Take the CEO out of the picture because he is leading the company downward quickly. Make the employees feel valued and bring back decent wages, bonuses, and benefits.

MicroStrategy is a MacroTragedy...The Most Horrible Place To Work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing, once you start working here it takes five minutes to realize that you have made a big mistake...the next thing you do is to think about how you can get out again as quickly as possible

Cons

This company is dismal, just absolutely horrible, the atmosphere is terrible, the management is incredibly incompetent they are morons, there are very few good people left because all the good ones don't last, everybody is looking for a way to get out of this madhouse, this is so bad I cannot even describe

you should have resigned years ago when this still was a decent place before you reduced it to a what it is today: a wreck

So many people have been laid off- there is no work-life balance

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some smart staff. Good products. There are some very smart executives.

Cons

Utter chaos and uncertainty, work overloads for those remaining, morale is ridiculously low globally. The CEO's convenience and desires are the only rule. There is no consideration to smart business execution or the impact to employees' lives. The CEO is micromanaging every facet of the business into the ground.

While ultimately some strategy changes are good, the implementation and execution of the direction change is horrific. Patience, planning, and smart impact reviews are important. Right now everyone is being impacted negatively including customers. This could easily hamstring the good changes that are being made. There was no need to cut staff to the bone. Trust some of your executives, enable people to make decisions and to be effective.