MicroStrategy

Updated March 4, 2015
2.2

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Pros
  • The vacation time is good and the work-life balance is nothing to complain about (in 41 reviews)

• Great company, flexible working hours, and lots of diversity (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Morale is low and the lower ranks have lost faith in upper management (in 15 reviews)

• international collaboration, good work-life balance, bi training (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Up and down

Current Employee - Hard Worker Who Used to Believe in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Hard Worker Who Used to Believe in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Can't think of many anymore. The old days are gone when you would actually accomplish something. Work life balance is good I guess and lots of free time.

Cons

If you seriously consider working here, work out a 5 year compensation plan and get your standard 10% bonus as part of your base pay since you will not see your bonus even if you bleed for MSTR. Year after year you will be thanked for all the hard work but you will be rewarded with nothing. Prepare for a pathetic 2%-3% pay raise because it's the same every year "the company had a bad year, we appreciate you giving up your bonus and compensation for the team, next year will be better". Once you try to do something good for the company (like save money) you will be moved into the employee graveyard to do menial tasks until you quit.

Sell the company to someone who can run a global organization that needs analytics. The door is closing on this opportunity with SAP, IBM and others offering better visualizations and faster analytics.

Thinking about joining MicroStrategy in Sales? Stay far, far away!!!

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any at the present time.....

Cons

I am writing this review for the Sales candidates that may be contemplating joining MicroStrategy at the present time as there are some things you must know.

If you want to work in an environment where:

1.) You'll be mercilessly micro-managed by your management team for ridiculous updates and fire drills that are a complete waste of time,
    2.) You will have to fight for, and potentially NOT get paid for what you sell,
    3.) You will have to make lame excuses to your clients as to why the products are not being fixed or are working,
    4.) You will be forced to push products that the clients don't want while filling out spreadsheets that show that you've pitched the client,
    5.) You will have to pay for sales related expenses that the company should typically provide (Internet, Mobile Phone, Wireless Access)
    6.) You won't be provided a single lead because all of those leads are being given to the inside sales team since Saylor thinks that a webex, and slick demo and a brand new inside sales rep can sell enterprise software deals to clients remotely,
    7.) You will watch the finest example of Chronyism in any company that you have ever worked for...
    Then you are probably a great fit for MicroStrategy!!!
    Read the Glassdoor review from the Sales VP from 2/13/2015 for MicroStrategy as this perfectly captures some additional thoughts related to working in Sales at MicroStrategy.

Get Michael Saylor out of any decision making role for the company. Pay your people for what they sell. Refocus the company on the mobile platform while there is still very little time left before the water comes over the railing of this sinking ship.....

Is Worser a word?

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People in general are great! Very talented and wanting to make a difference.

Cons

Saylor - Aspergers with no ability or desire to manage. It is good that he owns over 50% of the stock, because he has driven the company to the brink many times. Usher is just the latest attempt!

Get a clue!

No longer a good place to work with

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

None. Because of the crazy executive team, you can't tell whether these good aspects are still true in the near future.

Cons

There used to be many talented people devoting themselves to their projects. But that's the past.
    Bad management team without any long term goal.

Stop the crazy mind and ideas. Make a solid product and respect your people and customers.

A technology company without a tech lead

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Free parking, free gym, good location

Cons

A tech company needs a good tech lead to win other competitors. Yet I don't see this factor in MSTR. Our good CTO in old days left the company then his replace was replaced by two new CTOs who, from a tech ppl's eyes, don't have strong tech background.

Find someone who can really contribute and lead the core technology development.

Frustrating to be lead in all directions and no direction simultaneously.

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can experience sitcom-level dysfunction first hand. For younger professionals, you can spend several years building a lifelong appreciation for due process, real leadership, and mutual respect, which are all things you will not find at the current version of MicroStrategy.

Cons

Product leads, VIPs and the C-suite are all afraid of the CEO, who is demonstrative at best and unstable at his worst. Saylor will scream about one piece of functionality in a Monday meeting and then berate you for not making progress in the exact opposite direction by Thursday. With his totalitarian approach co-opted by other Executive leaders, anyone below Senior VP is marginalized to point of non-existence and ANYONE who disagrees with Saylor's tone (combative), approach (seat of the pants) or vision (I wrote a book so now we have to make it visionary) is fired.

Everyone understands that it is Mike's company, but someone needs to help him understand that his leadership is to blame for the massive hemorrhaging of talented people. In the past six months we've lost +/- 8 EVPs and above. These people are not all incompetent - at some point you need to look in the mirror.

Micro management at its best.

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Great gym and proximity to the mall.

Cons

Bad leadership. Not just the CEO, but the entire technology organization. Agile is the buzzword these days. The technology leadership thinks that agile will solve all our problems. While I agree that our process is outdated and is in a bad need for a change, the biggest issue is not the process. To put things into proper context, we have more than 10 years of track record in delivering high quality products without using any agile practices. In my time, my proudest moment was how we put in hours late into the night and on weekends to deliver our mobile platform. We beat all our competitors in being the first mobile BI platform. We did not need any agile practices or tracking tools to hold ourselves accountable. We did it because it was a cause we believed in and were highly motivated to push ahead.

Unfortunately, these days are over. Most old timers from that era have left. To the management, we are just statistics for them to track progress. We are tired of hearing the latest manifesto on how we should operate in future. We are tired of being patronized by leadership who acknowledged our concerns over Usher but choose to go forward anyway. We are not interested in how great Usher will be.

Stop the micromanagement, including tracking each individual on a daily basis. This is disrespectful to many old timers who have shed more blood and tears for the company than most of the CXOs. We deserve more respect than trying to track what we do everyday. Don't just shove Usher down our throat. You need to convince us why we should believe in it. If you can't convince your own employees, how are you going to convince your customers? Look at MSTR World. The biggest cheers from the customers are for MSTR 10. Many customers want to know when they can get it. The reception for 9s is lukewarm. Focus on what the customers want before our competitors get to them. Return to our core competency, which is Analytics.

Love the people

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Love the people, good work life balance, good location.

Cons

Slow to change but also makes knee jerk reactions, feels like employees aren't listened to sometimes, people put into positions where they have little experience or knowledge of how things are properly done outside of the company. Also feels like a lot of people are jumping ship, making for an uneasy and trepid atmosphere.

Listen to the market and employees, put more people in positions where they are qualified and have experience outside of the company. Pay more attention to employees and keep morale up and with the company or else there will be a brain drain.

Finance

Current Employee - Finance in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Finance in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sometimes you can go a full day or 2 just doing your job and not have to talk to anyone you report to

Cons

Terrible upper management. They expect you to own an android smart phone or iPhone. If not, you have to buy one at your own expense. They use your bonus potential as an incentive to make your compensation appear higher. However you have no control with the job you perform to earn it. You get what the CXO says, and its never 100% or even close to it. Everyone is either looking for new jobs or already put in their leave notice. Morale is lower now than anytime over the past 6 years.

Look around. 11% CEO approval doesn't come from just one or two unhappy employees. Stop using grenades to kill insects

Worst company and being worse software

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

The only pro is its history.
    It was a good company with leading software and tech; but please notice the point here, these are history.

Cons

No longer competitive software. The market share is decreasing, especially on the visualization tool area.

No longer good working environment. Reorganization hugely reduced necessary technical employees, which led delay of many products. And currently, many customers issue cannot be solved in time.

Political war made company more like a "yes" place. Anyone who said "no" will be fired. Everybody in company knows what happened this Friday.

Fake high stock price with worst financial performance.

CEO should be fired, otherwise no management in the company.