MicroStrategy

MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor

Michael J. Saylor

Pros:
  • "The best thing here is the work-life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "You can work with some smart people and learn from them"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management is frivolous and the employees pay the price of their wastage"
    in 9 reviews
  • "These too items together make for poor work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great starting experience but a very traditional east coast corp

Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

ProsI was new to software world and this was my first full-time job out of college. It really prepared me for a successful career in software and data. Lots of other young people when I joined who became good friends.

ConsIts an old school hierarchical org where promotions and raises are based on tenure more than competence and ambition. Anyone young with ambition will inevitably have to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a page out of silicon valley hiring and promoting practices. Flatten the org more.

Pick some skills and move on

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros- Good team members and manager (if lucky)
- work-life balance
- easy access to lunch options due to the mall

Cons- Compensation: Below market in terms of base salary. Lags market by 2-3 years. No stock options either. Absolutely no incentive in terms of paycheck to keep you motivated to work harder. Compensation varies across teams even for similar position.

- Benefits: An on-site gym and some useless spring music jams is all that is offered. Rarely any team events.

- HR staff: It's the epitome of passiveness. Apparently, they feel that hiring is the only task they should do. So once you are in you wont see any worthy to mention initiatives taken up by them.

- Promotions: Tenure based. Won't matter whether you work hard or just pretend you are working. Annual raises are not dependent on your performance. You just get what someone higher up decided for you. That seals your fate!

- Too many directors and managers. Some don't even have direct reports. God knows what they manage. Probably they are just hanging around and waiting for retirement. These managers don't even have proper management training.

- Haphazard restructuring. Either all good leaders are leaving every few months or they are forced to leave. Talented engineers rarely stay around for long!

- The ones who have good contacts higher up the chain will get promoted out of cycle and sometimes multiple times a year. While the rest wait for annual cycle that brings only disappointment and more frustration.

- management makes useless spending like putting ipads on doors, giving out multiple mobile devices to senior leaders (yes each one carries an ipad, mini-ipad, android, iphone)

Advice to Senior Management- Ideally, spending few hours on glassdoor or payscale is all that is needed to come up with good salary structures. But management is spending months to come up with market appropriate rates and playing tricks with everyone.

- Take care of not just directors and VPs but also other non-managerial staff

- Stop making excuses when it comes to annual pay raise cycle. Take review cycles seriously.

- CEO is whimsical. The emails he sends out are more like spam and annoying one-liners. He tends to make abrupt decisions, has a vision that changes every 2 months.

Great Benefits At First, Lacking Management and Direction

Associate Product Manager (Current Employee)
Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are competitive at first, lenient with work schedule, easy to move between departments.

ConsNo communication, no clear career path, minimal work-life balance, pay gets less competitive the longer you're there.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the work less task based and more evenly distributed.

Progressive company with best in the market with Business Intelligence Software

Director IT (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYoung, vibrate and flexible company

ConsThe day never stops - work at home after business hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementReasonable expectations with the work day and balance with family life.

Smart people, below market pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MicroStrategy

Prosfriendly work environment, people willing to help each other

Consdon't know how to advance, compensation below market

Advice to Senior Managementoutsourcing does not mean you have to trim the pay for US employee, they serve different purpose.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good company to work for

ConsPart of consulting services, visit more than one client

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job

Hard to see it as a long-term career builder

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
McLean, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe best thing here is the work-life balance. Hours are very flexible, and most managers just care about you getting the job done -how you use your time to do it is not very relevant. If you're lucky enough, you'll land in a good team with a good manager, and hard-working nice guys.

ConsThere are several things to consider (from a software engineering role):

- Compensation: it is simply below industry standard. Base salary is low, and bonuses are generally low as well - then add you almost never get 100% out of your bonus potential. In average, software engineering positions somewhere else will get you at least 10-15% more.
- Benefits: other than a gym on-site and 10% cellphone plan discount, perks are not very good. If you manage to stay in the company for 6 years, you get 5 weeks paid vacation, but that's not the norm for MicroStrategy employees.
- Lack of motivation: it's hard to find a guy that can sell you the job or the MicroStrategy vision. Top management specially is simply not a role model or someone to admire. Too much disorder, trying to do so many things at the same time without a clear, well-thought road-map. If you're unlucky enough to land in a "maintenance-mode" team, you will be pretty much fixing bugs and implementing small features on old products, while fighting non-sense requests from recent-grads working as PMs or non-technical analysts.
- No standards. No clear processes: Different teams work as they please. Some of them have no build process in place. Some use a version control system, some others. Some have a lacking QA function. No clear communication channels. No ownership.
- No employee recognition: it's hard to feel you're a valued person in the company. Other than a "employee of the quarter" recognition that is largely dependent on having a manager that wants you to be recognized (the minority of managers), you won't get anything. Not that recognition is the whole, but it certainly helps.
- No clear career path: most of people here get promoted based on tenure rather than on performance. That leads to "senior" and "management" roles that shouldn't be. If people doesn't have the skills, then just don't promote them. You're going to damage the company when you put someone in charge of growing a team that does not know how to be a manager, or a leader. Believe me, I'd rather get a better salary increase than being a manager of my own time (i.e. managers with no direct reports).

This of course is no secret. Talent leaves the company as soon as their immigration case is resolved (if applicable) or as a better offer somewhere else comes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really know what to suggest. I think the best is: forget what you think leadership is, and learn it all over again. Motivate people. Compensate people. Invest in your talent. Stop wasting resources in dead-end initiatives. Stop splurging money in sending half business, non-technical people to company events all over the world, and giving them iPhones/iPads or the newest MacBooks. Really. It just looks bad.

Good Company, nice opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou'll work with an excellent team of professionals with a really really good BI product, I'd say the best on the market. Really promissing.

Conssometimes Eurpe seems a little bit left out.
Salary can be a problem if you don't make a nice negotiation at the beginning, but in general people is well paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign services and sales.
Pay attention to Europe. There's a lot of talent there.

Fun place to work!

I have been working at MicroStrategy

ProsPeople are fun to work with.

ConsTraining could be better.

Sinking ship

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros- intelligent and driven employees
- dynamics within teams are very collaborative and fun in many cases
- nice HQ with decent amenities (gym, lounge, newer equipment, parking next to mall)
- growth potential considerable for a limited few (just be sure you're one of them)

Cons- senior leadership is out of touch with most employees
- top-down and closed management approach
- senior leadership team has had several rounds of internal strife (currently going on 2 years for this cycle); results in stagnant progress, constantly shifting priorities, and high turnover
- high turnover at all levels
- benefits are below average (pay below market after 2-3 years, fringe benefits average but not notable)
- no institutionalized professional development options (tuition reimbursement, stipends for external training programs, association membership support, etc.)
- poor collaboration between teams; past issues have created acidic relationships between many departments and working groups, hindering progress and creating several redundancies

Advice to Senior Management- invest in your employees (create professional development programming and support external training through tuition and course reimbursement); you will never retain top talent without matching competitors willingness to substantially support employee development
- more frequently engage the employee base for feedback on the strategic direction, current pulse, satisfaction, etc. (once every 2-3 years once things fall apart is not sufficient)
- be proactive around employee satisfaction issues; actions are always taken in reactive mode right now
- recognize that the bottom line is impacted by the high turnover and make significant steps to counteract the growing trend; 30-40% employee turnover is not normal! Rebalance pay, create development programming, support external training, develop your managers better, and foster a culture of open management so that employees feel like they are valued

Worked for MicroStrategy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MicroStrategy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MicroStrategy CEO Michael J. Saylor. All 197 reviews posted anonymously by MicroStrategy employees.