MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
407 reviews filtered by

Did somebody promise all the positive people their bonus for their good reviews?

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

If you don't work in Tysons, have never met MJS, and have no interaction with him then you are probably far enough away to have a decent work day. If you want to spend your day frustrated, hearing the CEO has called you or your department useless, then sign up and make good use of the gym the other reviews rave about working away your despair.

Cons

If you work in Tysons, you feel the gloom driving into the garage and it stays with you like a vacuum sucking the very happiness and life out of you. The sense of depression walking the halls cannot be put into words.

The CEO is not capable of running a public company by any reasonable standard. He has no business leadership education or experience and it smacks you in the face in every company call or meeting. Most founders would have sold and moved on to a new venture by now but his arrogance and total control ownership status makes this impossible for him to do apparently. It is hard to imagine anyone caring less about their employees. Or getting more personal satisfaction out of berating and belittling those he meets with. You can hear yourself humming "those poor unfortunate souls" from The Little Mermaid while Ursala sucks the voice out of Ariel. Because no one but the CEO has a voice on anything.

Current and future customers should do their homework before making additional investments. There are other products on the rise and catching up fast. And many of them are hiring away what's left of MicroStrategy's talent. Unless something changes at the top, it's hard to see how the product stays viable long-term without talent to enhance it.

For those around during the good days, it's hard to watch what was so good decline to what it is today.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and let MJS go back to his Miami villa boat club. There are people who would gladly return and work to restore the product to its well-deserved glory if it could be done under caring and qualified management.

Was great, now a disaster

Former Employee - Business Development in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good gym, why's there a 5 word minimum?

Cons

It's all been said already. Lousy vision and no cohesive plan to improve. This company treats everyone (employees, partners, vendors, customers) very poorly. It's sad how this once great company has become a disaster

Advice to Management

Not worth it, none would listen

How to go from good to ghastly in six easy months.

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people working hard still believing things are all going to work out are blissfully naive. But it's good to have dreams. If you work far from HQ and never ever have to see or hear Saylor, it's probably not that bad. Or easier to bury your head in the sand.

Cons

How many times can you repeat, the CEO is the problem. The CEO is the problem. The CEO IS THE PROBLEM. Things were fine when he was sailing away on one of his many yachts. Look at the trend lines of the ratings. The downward spiral times almost to the day Saylor started micromanaging the company.
    The only voice he hears is his own and those of his patsys who are paid very well to nod yes and berate anyone still around into doing whatever crazy thing Saylor requests. Only to have it dropped and replaced with a new request the next day.
    Anyone who challenges Saylor is out. He cannot handle hearing anything but yes from anyone he meets with. Without question, the most toxic place ever encountered (including Chernobyl).

Advice to Management

Sell the company Saylor, you're no CEO and you've lost whatever visionary thinking you might have had in the past. Take the money and sail back into oblivion and give your weary employees some peace.

No longer a good place to work

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

It was a very good place before and there were a lot of talented people in the company.

Cons

the new management team in Tech department after the re-org knows little about the product. So they don't know how to review the performance of the employee in the Tech department. they spent big amount of money bought an Agile software and now they are relying on an Agile software to calculate how many bugs are logged by QEs and how many bugs are fixed by SEs to evaluate their work.

Advice to Management

Learn the product.

Good experience for new grads

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great 6-week training program to learn the MicroStrategy software & get a certification right out of the gate (though apparently they are getting rid of this...)
    - Nice benefits, lots of vacation, 401k matching, amazing gym, etc.
    - Good location next to Tysons mall so you always have many options for lunch
    - Significant performance bonuses if you are a top performer
    - Opportunities for working from home, very flexible schedule
    - Advancement to more technical roles seems to generally be a meritocracy rather than by tenure; however there were rarely opportunities for upward advancement in my department - most promotions were lateral

Cons

- Very corporate "uncool" feel compared to other tech companies your friends might be working at
    - Executive management is changing faster than you can keep track of (not even sure who my boss's boss is anymore)
    - Company is not focusing on its core product in favor of questionable side projects
    - Technical skill development is surprisingly low for a supposed engineering position
    - Advancement to managerial positions is purely by length of tenure
    - Not much work if you're efficient. On a good day, I will do only 2-3 hours of real work.
    - After initial training, professional development is nonexistent. There used to be an Academy program, but they phased it out after the 2014 cutbacks.
    - Low base bay

Advice to Management

Focus on the BI platform that made you the company you are and put this Identity stuff on the back burner where it belongs. Even though I've worked here two years, I haven't seen any significant technological advances in the Analytics platform even though that is what is keeping this company in business. Develop a real direction for the BI product so you don't lose out to other market contenders like Tableau.

It seems like most of the recent negative reviews have come from the Technology, Sales, and Professional Services teams, but for what it's worth, my experience on the Support side was largely unaffected by the recent turmoil in the company and still think it would be a good opportunity for fresh grads to get experience at a reputable company (though it remains to be seen whether they can maintain that reputation). The worst that happened on my team is that our weekly donuts & quarterly paid team dinners were phased out.

I honestly believe some of the Support teams are overstaffed and underutilized. In my two years, I can count on one hand the number of days where I felt like I put in a solid day's work, and didn't just surf the internet or wait out the clock. I could have easily handled the workload of 2 engineers on both the teams I worked with.

MicroStrategy . . . THE definition of Executive Lunacy

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Advanced technology. Smart and collaborative workers. Folks rolled up their sleeves and worked together here in the past. Vacation and medical benefits are good.

Cons

Just one that is the root of ALL others: The CEO, Michael Saylor.

He views himself as above all others, and as the sole reason that the company has had any success. Don’t forget that fact when dealing with him. If you do, you will feel the wrath of a small man pretending to be a big shot business leader, who is desperately and pathetically hoping he’ll someday be in the conversation along with the great technology innovators of our time.

MicroStrategy used to be a great place to work. Well, all that changed when Mr. Saylor’s performance as CEO was put into question by people he couldn’t bully: Institutional Investors.

The punishment for their discovery of his own lavish, company-funded extravagancies, was a full-force, and in rapid succession, set of austerity measures for his employees. Also a large set of draconian processes to be adopted immediately and forcefully. And a hiring spree of unnecessary executives who may have had honest aspirations of leading the company, but in reality, are now Yes Men hanging around just long enough to cash in their options grant.

Mr. Saylor is completely out of touch with his work force (not that he cares), and the reality of the situation he’s recently created at MicroStrategy. The company is being systemically destroyed by a dictatorial figurehead. He has single-handedly wiped out the existing culture and has driven away a very experienced and tenured human-talent base.

TO BE CLEAR: ALL of the Top Engineering and Sales talent has already left or is currently leaving. All that is left is a single-minded CEO, and his Executive staff nodding their bowed heads in fealty and submission.

This is the BI Titanic sinking here. Make sure you get off the ship while there are still life boats available.

Advice to Management

PLEASE Mr. Saylor: Go back to being an absentee executive. You were much less destructive when that was the case.

This company is made for Reality TV...the ratings would be fantastic.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, amazing talent, good friends. The good people have left or are leaving.

Cons

The past six months have been constant chaos and drama. Decisions are made on a dime, no one can keep up with the latest process, org chart, territory. Our CEO makes EVERY decision. He throws tantrums like a child, yells at his Executive Team and fires people because they do not tell him what he wants to hear. This organization is so disgruntled and depressed. Look at the previous post. Our CEO has a 9% approval rating and the executives or our three person HR team has done nothing to address the elephant in the room... they have no power.

IT IS SO HARD TO GET ANYTHING DONE! Simple tasks are incredibly challenging and requires diligent follow-up. Our internal systems are held together by a thread and you can not make updates without asking Congress to pass a Bill. So many people have left that there are so many holes in the organization.

The latest organization has sales competing with each other and does not compensate our Sale Engineers to work together as a team to sell Enterprise Software...as well as our Cyber Security product that doesn't work.

Where is the marketing? Hire the Kardashian Family, they could actually execute something for us. If the excuse is we have very few people in marketing, then hire a agency.

Our organization is so broken. It is beyond repair. And just when we think it can not get any worse, it does.

Advice to Management

Don't go on Undercover Boss.

Rome Didn't Fall In a Day

Current Employee - Marketing in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Gym is nice. Best Dental Plan I have ever had.

Cons

Michael Saylor is driving this company into the ground, putting his fingers into every aspect of the business. He has screwed up numerous critical processes, and consequentially everyone with a modicum of foresight and marketable talent is leaving. From the product focus, to the sales process, to the compensation plans there is nothing he won't screw up.

The culture was once pretty great, but now there are only yes men and politicians. Everyone with any actual talent now carries the air of hopelessness similar to beaten dogs, pining for a day where they could once more enjoy their work. These days, it's easier to count the number of your coworkers who aren't actively looking for a new landing spot. If someone leaves your team you can expect to take on their duties, because we drag our heels filling critical needs, and with the lowest ratings in Tech on glassdoor won't be getting any top talent anytime soon.

Half of the people in that sponsored recruiting video got laid off last year.

Advice to Management

Steve Jobs died a premature death because he thought he knew better than medical experts on how to best treat the Pancreatic cancer he would ultimately succumb to. In this sense, you are definitely succeeding in emulating Steve Jobs.

Lack of unified direction and guidance from upper management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

The very smart people. However, upper management does not seem to care too much about them.

Cons

1. Lack of unified direction from CXOs.
    2. Management is trying to do too many things all at once. In the end, nothing is accomplished.
    3. Salary raises/promotions are very rare. I have worked for the company for 3 years and I never once got my full bonus.
    4. The company is struggling financially. There were 2 rounds of layoffs, possibly more to come if Usher doesn't pull through.
    5. Morale among the people is very low. This has not been addressed in any way by management and as such resulted in key talent leaving the company to pursue better options. Most essential/key people in key roles have already left.
    6. If you work here, pray that you don't end up working on the 14th floor alongside the CEO. For the same pay your stress will be 100x, you'll pull in long hours and be expected to always be on his schedule. You will hear a lot of cursing and always wonder if you're about to get fired.
    7. Usher is THE only app that actually makes me hate my phone from time to time. It will never catch on but the CEO keeps onto his vision and has invested more than 30% of company resources into developing this "Security Platform" that is buggy and has essentially only one customer so far: Microstrategy. I do hope it will eventually sell as there are many smart people working on it.
    8. I already mentioned the layoffs..there is a pattern of over-hiring during good years to pursue Saylor's many grand visions about products. This leads to the company becoming financially unstable and then mass layoffs follow.
    9. It's a good first job if you're fresh out of college or an intern. You will learn a lot and be surrounded by many smart people, but don't plan to be around for the long haul.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the morale of the people, especially Engineering, which is the back-bone of your product!

Is anyone still here?

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best pro I can think of is that this ship is sinking slowly enough that you have time to be a little picky as to where you will go next before jumping ship.

Cons

Everything else. All the good men have jumped ship or are jumping ship as we speak. Literally all of the CXO's are leaving either on their own accord or after a big blowout upstairs. By continuing to publicize these people as "retiring" is not fooling anyone. Slowly, but surely, the company is going down and I don't know if there's anything anyone can do about it, especially not with MJS holding the reins.

Advice to Management

None. You clearly could care less about the people that have made your company what it is, and no, it wasn't you. The talented people have already left and anyone worth anything in the company is taking their time to find their perfect company before ditching this one.