MicroStrategy

Updated September 30, 2014
3.1

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Pros
  • The vacation time is good and the work-life balance is nothing to complain about (in 23 reviews)

• Great products and it's great working with so many smart people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • international collaboration, good work-life balance, bi training (in 6 reviews)

• Senior Management is frivolous and the employees pay the price of their wastage (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Completely disorganized

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Lots of real and large business problems to solve in a space that will only become more important in the future

Cons

There is a complete lack of direction shared by all. CEO micromanages all aspects without any real input or delegation

Work together to build a plan

Lack of direction, focus, rewards

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and a lot of vacation
    Decent starting salary but then it will stagnate
    Gym, offices

Cons

There is a complete lack of direction at the upper management ranks and the levels right below. There are no roadmaps, good plans or vision....
    We claim to have the best but with our salaries and culture, we cannot get the best. They go to Sillicon Valley

Communicate better
    Offer more training and make sure teams are given time to innovate

Big scale layoff recently

Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Careful and detailed training, might be a good start point to learn about the industry, actually the employees are nice people.

Cons

A big scale layoff to the newly recruited employee. The company does not seem to care about its reputation when they let go people like this. University SHOULD NOT introduce the company to career fair any more UNLESS agreements can be reached to protect the students. This kind of thing should not happen, it shows the company's attitudes on the employee.

You should care about EVERY employees and treat them well. Employees are not the tools, especially when they have just graduated from the university and just get their career started. Layoff like this would definitely destroy the moral and loyalty to the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, no career path

Current Employee - Product Support Manager  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Product Support Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture for a first job just out of college - young (20-30 year olds) and diverse.

Cons

Not much of a growth path for your career (at least in Tech Support).

Find a way to retain and develop talent in Tech Support.

Poor Senior Leadership with Distracted Focus

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dedicated employees, opportunity to work with good technology solutions.

Cons

Executive leadership has created a culture of mistrust which is impacting all organizations.

Great initially, but has lost direction.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Get the chance to work on challenging problems, and a variety of projects, flexible work hours. On site gym and great location is a plus.

Cons

The people. Top management seems to have lost its direction, embarking on various pet projects recklessly. This results in layoffs when things don't go well.
    At the bottom, people are keen to show they are working hard by sending emails, asking useless questions based on their speculations. When in fact, you have already explained the issue and what needs to be done. It seems that people like to show that they actively thinking. But it is a nuisance explaining things over and over again.
    Career advancement is based on tenure, so not much motivation here.
    Long hours, even on weekends, you are expected to monitor your emails.

Hire someone who really knows computers and technology well at executive level.

Good for short stop

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Engineers here are smart, nice and helpful.

Cons

Not very agile as for current technology trend. Not motivated per performance.

Get better motivating system.

Overall satisfied

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

good working environment with flexible working hours

Cons

sometimes have to work overtime. have to deal with existing big codebase which is messy.

Why would you hire someone who you let go in 1 month?

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for less than a year

Pros

None this is terrible

Cons

Why would you hire me and then let me go within 1 month? I barely started working and was let go due to company restructuring, all done within 1 month. Why would you even hire me in the first place? This makes no sense

Don't hire then let someone go within 1 month!! This is so unprofessional and pathetic!!

Think hard before you accept an offer here - you will have NO job security.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

It's hard to come up with 20 positive words. The only thing I can say about this company is that there are roughly 3 good, honest, nice people in the entire company.

Cons

People always comment on the "corporate culture" being great at MicroStrategy. For the first 1 or 2 months it is. After that, it's hell. They'll tell you it's a "work hard, play hard" environment. It's actually a work hard, be unappreciated, and then work MORE environment. The management does not care about its employees and there's an enormous disconnect between upper management and all other employees (both figuratively and literally, there's a 14th floor where all of upper management sits and no one but upper management has access to get there). Beware: you will be treated like an idiot and a child and nothing you do will be acceptable or good enough.

The company is extremely unstable. They hire recklessly and then fire in the same manner. Recently the company lost money and then fired over 300 people the next week. This is all while hiring around 60 new people a month in the US alone. The company also has no respect for its employees and when they lay people off they tell the person they're being laid off and tell the person they need to be out of the office by the end of the day (5PM). This means everything you've been given to work with (laptop, phone, tablet, garage pass, badge, email access, etc.) has to be returned and will be shut off within the next 6 hours (if you're lucky and they tell you in the morning).

NEW COLLEGE GRADS: If you're a new college grad, PLEASE read this carefully. I was in the same boat as you when I took this job with MicroStrategy. I thought, "wow they're taking a chance on me and giving me a job and a good starting salary, etc." Keep in mind though, you are DISPOSABLE. While they may offer a good starting salary, beware because this salary will probably not change for the next 3 or 4 years. Then, if it does it's not going up by much. Also, your bonus is NOT GUARANTEED and usually it's sales based and not performance based.

"Re-organizations" are constant and result in the employees never having solid ground under their feet. You have no job security due to the fact that your position could be eliminated at any time and you'll never have a set line of managers because the structure of the company changes so frequently.

To conclude here, do your research on jobs in general but ESPECIALLY on this one. You don't want to get into this job where you'll be overworked, under-appreciated, under-paid, and never have any job security.

Listen to your employees. Management isn't always right. HR and upper management need to act as neutral parties instead of trying to placate wronged employees. Also, think through your hiring and firing. It doesn't make any sense to hire hundreds of people a month and fire hundreds of people in the same month. Do some planning and give your employees some job security because you'll be able to keep loyal employees if you respect them even a little. Having this kind of turnover is ridiculous.

Worked for MicroStrategy? Contribute to the Community!