MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Pros
  • The best thing here is the work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great products and it's great working with so many smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • international collaboration, good work-life balance, bi training (in 6 reviews)

• Senior Management is frivolous and the employees pay the price of their wastage (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Enormous growth opportunities, great environment, free gym

Current Employee - Lead IT Business Analyst  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Lead IT Business Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovative environment and great team

Cons

In my position I would love to move away form excel, unfortunately due to the fact that we do not have enough systematization/ atomization to support our daily work projects are difficult to complete.

Would love management to invest more to support internal administration and activities. Unfortunately today this is not possible.
    Salaries need to be competitive with the market place

Progressive company with best in the market with Business Intelligence Software

Former Employee - Director IT  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Director IT in Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Young, vibrate and flexible company

Cons

The day never stops - work at home after business hours.

Reasonable expectations with the work day and balance with family life.

Smart people, below market pay

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

friendly work environment, people willing to help each other

Cons

don't know how to advance, compensation below market

outsourcing does not mean you have to trim the pay for US employee, they serve different purpose.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good company to work for

Cons

Part of consulting services, visit more than one client

Good job

Great starting experience but a very traditional east coast corp

Current Employee - Quality Engineer  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was new to software world and this was my first full-time job out of college. It really prepared me for a successful career in software and data. Lots of other young people when I joined who became good friends.

Cons

Its an old school hierarchical org where promotions and raises are based on tenure more than competence and ambition. Anyone young with ambition will inevitably have to quit.

Take a page out of silicon valley hiring and promoting practices. Flatten the org more.

Pick some skills and move on

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good team members and manager (if lucky)
    - work-life balance
    - easy access to lunch options due to the mall

Cons

- Compensation: Below market in terms of base salary. Lags market by 2-3 years. No stock options either. Absolutely no incentive in terms of paycheck to keep you motivated to work harder. Compensation varies across teams even for similar position.

- Benefits: An on-site gym and some useless spring music jams is all that is offered. Rarely any team events.

- HR staff: It's the epitome of passiveness. Apparently, they feel that hiring is the only task they should do. So once you are in you wont see any worthy to mention initiatives taken up by them.

- Promotions: Tenure based. Won't matter whether you work hard or just pretend you are working. Annual raises are not dependent on your performance. You just get what someone higher up decided for you. That seals your fate!

- Too many directors and managers. Some don't even have direct reports. God knows what they manage. Probably they are just hanging around and waiting for retirement. These managers don't even have proper management training.

- Haphazard restructuring. Either all good leaders are leaving every few months or they are forced to leave. Talented engineers rarely stay around for long!

- The ones who have good contacts higher up the chain will get promoted out of cycle and sometimes multiple times a year. While the rest wait for annual cycle that brings only disappointment and more frustration.

- management makes useless spending like putting ipads on doors, giving out multiple mobile devices to senior leaders (yes each one carries an ipad, mini-ipad, android, iphone)

- Ideally, spending few hours on glassdoor or payscale is all that is needed to come up with good salary structures. But management is spending months to come up with market appropriate rates and playing tricks with everyone.

- Take care of not just directors and VPs but also other non-managerial staff

- Stop making excuses when it comes to annual pay raise cycle. Take review cycles seriously.

- CEO is whimsical. The emails he sends out are more like spam and annoying one-liners. He tends to make abrupt decisions, has a vision that changes every 2 months.

Great Benefits At First, Lacking Management and Direction

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are competitive at first, lenient with work schedule, easy to move between departments.

Cons

No communication, no clear career path, minimal work-life balance, pay gets less competitive the longer you're there.

Make the work less task based and more evenly distributed.

Hard to see it as a long-term career builder

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing here is the work-life balance. Hours are very flexible, and most managers just care about you getting the job done -how you use your time to do it is not very relevant. If you're lucky enough, you'll land in a good team with a good manager, and hard-working nice guys.

Cons

There are several things to consider (from a software engineering role):

- Compensation: it is simply below industry standard. Base salary is low, and bonuses are generally low as well - then add you almost never get 100% out of your bonus potential. In average, software engineering positions somewhere else will get you at least 10-15% more.
    - Benefits: other than a gym on-site and 10% cellphone plan discount, perks are not very good. If you manage to stay in the company for 6 years, you get 5 weeks paid vacation, but that's not the norm for MicroStrategy employees.
    - Lack of motivation: it's hard to find a guy that can sell you the job or the MicroStrategy vision. Top management specially is simply not a role model or someone to admire. Too much disorder, trying to do so many things at the same time without a clear, well-thought road-map. If you're unlucky enough to land in a "maintenance-mode" team, you will be pretty much fixing bugs and implementing small features on old products, while fighting non-sense requests from recent-grads working as PMs or non-technical analysts.
    - No standards. No clear processes: Different teams work as they please. Some of them have no build process in place. Some use a version control system, some others. Some have a lacking QA function. No clear communication channels. No ownership.
    - No employee recognition: it's hard to feel you're a valued person in the company. Other than a "employee of the quarter" recognition that is largely dependent on having a manager that wants you to be recognized (the minority of managers), you won't get anything. Not that recognition is the whole, but it certainly helps.
    - No clear career path: most of people here get promoted based on tenure rather than on performance. That leads to "senior" and "management" roles that shouldn't be. If people doesn't have the skills, then just don't promote them. You're going to damage the company when you put someone in charge of growing a team that does not know how to be a manager, or a leader. Believe me, I'd rather get a better salary increase than being a manager of my own time (i.e. managers with no direct reports).

This of course is no secret. Talent leaves the company as soon as their immigration case is resolved (if applicable) or as a better offer somewhere else comes.

I don't really know what to suggest. I think the best is: forget what you think leadership is, and learn it all over again. Motivate people. Compensate people. Invest in your talent. Stop wasting resources in dead-end initiatives. Stop splurging money in sending half business, non-technical people to company events all over the world, and giving them iPhones/iPads or the newest MacBooks. Really. It just looks bad.

Fun place to work!

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

People are fun to work with.

Cons

Training could be better.

Great Experience

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

I love the people I work with

Cons

The changing strategy over the last few years

Worked for MicroStrategy? Contribute to the Community!