MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
406 reviews filtered by

Thinking about joining MicroStrategy in Sales? Stay far, far away!!!

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any at the present time.....

Cons

I am writing this review for the Sales candidates that may be contemplating joining MicroStrategy at the present time as there are some things you must know.

If you want to work in an environment where:

1.) You'll be mercilessly micro-managed by your management team for ridiculous updates and fire drills that are a complete waste of time,
    2.) You will have to fight for, and potentially NOT get paid for what you sell,
    3.) You will have to make lame excuses to your clients as to why the products are not being fixed or are working,
    4.) You will be forced to push products that the clients don't want while filling out spreadsheets that show that you've pitched the client,
    5.) You will have to pay for sales related expenses that the company should typically provide (Internet, Mobile Phone, Wireless Access)
    6.) You won't be provided a single lead because all of those leads are being given to the inside sales team since Saylor thinks that a webex, and slick demo and a brand new inside sales rep can sell enterprise software deals to clients remotely,
    7.) You will watch the finest example of Chronyism in any company that you have ever worked for...
    Then you are probably a great fit for MicroStrategy!!!
    Read the Glassdoor review from the Sales VP from 2/13/2015 for MicroStrategy as this perfectly captures some additional thoughts related to working in Sales at MicroStrategy.

Get Michael Saylor out of any decision making role for the company. Pay your people for what they sell. Refocus the company on the mobile platform while there is still very little time left before the water comes over the railing of this sinking ship.....

Micro management at its best.

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Great gym and proximity to the mall.

Cons

Bad leadership. Not just the CEO, but the entire technology organization. Agile is the buzzword these days. The technology leadership thinks that agile will solve all our problems. While I agree that our process is outdated and is in a bad need for a change, the biggest issue is not the process. To put things into proper context, we have more than 10 years of track record in delivering high quality products without using any agile practices. In my time, my proudest moment was how we put in hours late into the night and on weekends to deliver our mobile platform. We beat all our competitors in being the first mobile BI platform. We did not need any agile practices or tracking tools to hold ourselves accountable. We did it because it was a cause we believed in and were highly motivated to push ahead.

Unfortunately, these days are over. Most old timers from that era have left. To the management, we are just statistics for them to track progress. We are tired of hearing the latest manifesto on how we should operate in future. We are tired of being patronized by leadership who acknowledged our concerns over Usher but choose to go forward anyway. We are not interested in how great Usher will be.

Stop the micromanagement, including tracking each individual on a daily basis. This is disrespectful to many old timers who have shed more blood and tears for the company than most of the CXOs. We deserve more respect than trying to track what we do everyday. Don't just shove Usher down our throat. You need to convince us why we should believe in it. If you can't convince your own employees, how are you going to convince your customers? Look at MSTR World. The biggest cheers from the customers are for MSTR 10. Many customers want to know when they can get it. The reception for 9s is lukewarm. Focus on what the customers want before our competitors get to them. Return to our core competency, which is Analytics.

MicroStrategy Sales

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exceptional product across many areas of analytics and business intelligence; perhaps the best in the business across web and mobile. Salaries and compensation tend to be on the upper end. Name recognition is very strong due heavily to Gartner's Magic Quadrant. The company has significantly streamlined pricing and SKUs in the last year making it far easier for customers to understand what was once a very complex set of options. Employees in general are highly trained, committed, and work well together.

Cons

Significant turmoil is created with frequent changes in direction by an ever-changing (turn-over) management team. Micro-management is a significant problem and ultra-centralized decision-making creates strained and convoluted customer negotiations. Under-empowerment is a serious concern below the VP level..

Empower employees at the director, manager, and team member levels to make decisions and negotiate with customers with a reasonable set of well communicated guidelines. Create an environment where customers can say (with a straight face) that it is easy to do business with MicroStrategy. Make a clear plan and stick with it for more than a quarter or two. Hire a product marketing team that knows how to properly manage product lifecycle and knows what the 4 Ps stand for and how to work with each of them effectively.

Frustrating to be lead in all directions and no direction simultaneously.

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can experience sitcom-level dysfunction first hand. For younger professionals, you can spend several years building a lifelong appreciation for due process, real leadership, and mutual respect, which are all things you will not find at the current version of MicroStrategy.

Cons

Product leads, VIPs and the C-suite are all afraid of the CEO, who is demonstrative at best and unstable at his worst. Saylor will scream about one piece of functionality in a Monday meeting and then berate you for not making progress in the exact opposite direction by Thursday. With his totalitarian approach co-opted by other Executive leaders, anyone below Senior VP is marginalized to point of non-existence and ANYONE who disagrees with Saylor's tone (combative), approach (seat of the pants) or vision (I wrote a book so now we have to make it visionary) is fired.

Everyone understands that it is Mike's company, but someone needs to help him understand that his leadership is to blame for the massive hemorrhaging of talented people. In the past six months we've lost +/- 8 EVPs and above. These people are not all incompetent - at some point you need to look in the mirror.

Used to be a great place to work...

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

People and work atmosphere

Cons

Salary, upper management, and the CEO caring more about how people see him then the actual company.

Listen to the demands of your employees more

How to take a once sucessful technology company and drive it into the ground through a lack of exec leadership.

Current Employee - Vice President Sales
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The core technology is adequate for most bi projects and solves many business problems for organizations. The Mobile Technology is clearly the best in the industry and the Cloud Offering is the only managed BI Cloud in the industry.

If your in sales, and your not worried about being on an island where you can run your own franchise with no corporate support, limited commoditized technology, are ok with competing with an inside sales force and all your partners, having to work to overcome a bad reputation and uncertainty if you will paid your commissions, you will be able to survive at MicroStrategy

Cons

Working Environment & People: There is no other way to state it other than, this is a toxic working environment. It is the slow fade of taking small daily doses of mercury. It is not enough to kill you in one day, it is intriguing as the shinny ball of mercury bounces from strategy du jour to strategy du jour, and the promise of high compensation distracts you from the fact that you are slowly loosing you mind.

Most of the people who made this company great and what it is today have left, only the residual shell of that essence remains. Those who remain are no longer dedicated to making the company successful. They are simply getting by and waiting for the day it could become a fun place to work again, unwilling to come to terms that those days are far gone and will never return.

Virtually all support personnel have been eliminated, making this an environment that any success in the field must come by the blood, sweat and tears of an account executive and Sales Director.

Strategy: There is no clear short, mid or long term strategy for the company. Neither the Executive leadership nor the CEO possess the ability to effectively communication with the employees of the company. Part of that is caused the CEO's inability to sustain any strategy for more than 9-12 months creating an environment where the executive leaders are not enabled to commit to anything.

Technology: The CEO has been distracted spending enormous amounts money over the past 4 years on pet projects like Alert, Wisdom Usher and others while ignoring the fact that BI revenues keep the lights on. A lack of investment in the core Business Intelligence product has left MicroStrategy extremely exposed. There is a reason why we are retrenching so heavily right now. The current BI product is commoditized, lacks clear differentiation outside of Mobile. The product has had virtually no core technology advancements as of late.

Compensation: MicroStrategy has a history of withholding commissions from its sales team at a whim or justifying reductions in commissions long after the deals are sold with baseless logic. A basic tenant of trust with an employee and employer, is that of knowing you will get paid for what the company has asked you to accomplish. While the compensation plans can be lucrative beware as the actual payments for a sales person can't be counted on until the check is actually cashed. The P&L Structure for Sales Leaders in 2015 incents them to further this policy of trying to find ways to erroneously reduce commissions to the Account Executives & Sales Management so watch out.

Usher: Well look at the Twitter feed from Microstrategy World and that about sums it all up…

Cloud: The CEO’s inability to commit resources to technology outside Pet Projects has spilled over to a lack of innovation in its cloud business. What was once it most promising advancement in the industry is now materially nothing more than a hosting service (PAAS) with limited managed services.

Marketing: The skeleton crew that remains in marketing after the debacle of the past 12 months lack real domain expertise of BI leaving marketing completely crippled and inadequate.

Try leadership 101. Stand up for what is right, stop being the YES MEN that CEO surrounds himself with.

The CEO is out of touch with what the industry needs. A great sales leader at MicroStrategy once said "in silence you condone”. When you sit idly by, in silence and allow the wrong choices to be made that damage the people who built this company and its ability to succeed in the future, you condone and agree with those decisions that are made. So stop hiding in your mahogany 14th floor offices, and try being the leaders that you need to be. That is more true now than ever before.

Is Worser a word?

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People in general are great! Very talented and wanting to make a difference.

Cons

Saylor - Aspergers with no ability or desire to manage. It is good that he owns over 50% of the stock, because he has driven the company to the brink many times. Usher is just the latest attempt!

Get a clue!

Management Flatulence, Constipation, and Diarrhea

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

At this point in time there are no pros about working at this place. It is the worst place I have ever worked. I think I had more fun and enjoyed working overnight clearnup at McDonalds as a teenager. Wait, I take that back, the benefits packages is mediocre, but not great.

Cons

Everything is a con at MicroStrategy. The executive management are essentially con men, getting other people to support their rediculous salaries through draconian managment practices. The way the entire company is run is a con, because nothing happens with agility or common sense. While there are good people still left at MicroStrategy, it is getting more difficult to find them, as everyone seems to be sinking into a perpetual state of cynicism and apathy caused by the executive management. The worst thing is that executive management places no genuine value on the people who hold MicroStrategy up and keep it running while they play their little cerebral masturbation games.

Fire yourselves,and let someone who can actually lead and build relationships with people takeover.

Finance

Current Employee - Finance in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Finance in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sometimes you can go a full day or 2 just doing your job and not have to talk to anyone you report to

Cons

Terrible upper management. They expect you to own an android smart phone or iPhone. If not, you have to buy one at your own expense. They use your bonus potential as an incentive to make your compensation appear higher. However you have no control with the job you perform to earn it. You get what the CXO says, and its never 100% or even close to it. Everyone is either looking for new jobs or already put in their leave notice. Morale is lower now than anytime over the past 6 years.

Look around. 11% CEO approval doesn't come from just one or two unhappy employees. Stop using grenades to kill insects

A technology company without a tech lead

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Free parking, free gym, good location

Cons

A tech company needs a good tech lead to win other competitors. Yet I don't see this factor in MSTR. Our good CTO in old days left the company then his replace was replaced by two new CTOs who, from a tech ppl's eyes, don't have strong tech background.

Find someone who can really contribute and lead the core technology development.