MicroStrategy

www.microstrategy.com
Employer Engaged

Frustrating to be lead in all directions and no direction simultaneously.

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can experience sitcom-level dysfunction first hand. For younger professionals, you can spend several years building a lifelong appreciation for due process, real leadership, and mutual respect, which are all things you will not find at the current version of MicroStrategy.

Cons

Product leads, VIPs and the C-suite are all afraid of the CEO, who is demonstrative at best and unstable at his worst. Saylor will scream about one piece of functionality in a Monday meeting and then berate you for not making progress in the exact opposite direction by Thursday. With his totalitarian approach co-opted by other Executive leaders, anyone below Senior VP is marginalized to point of non-existence and ANYONE who disagrees with Saylor's tone (combative), approach (seat of the pants) or vision (I wrote a book so now we have to make it visionary) is fired.

Everyone understands that it is Mike's company, but someone needs to help him understand that his leadership is to blame for the massive hemorrhaging of talented people. In the past six months we've lost +/- 8 EVPs and above. These people are not all incompetent - at some point you need to look in the mirror.

A technology company without a tech lead

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Free parking, free gym, good location

Cons

A tech company needs a good tech lead to win other competitors. Yet I don't see this factor in MSTR. Our good CTO in old days left the company then his replace was replaced by two new CTOs who, from a tech ppl's eyes, don't have strong tech background.

Find someone who can really contribute and lead the core technology development.

People are good, executives are not

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

People here are very nice. The work-life balance is not bad in most teams.

Cons

The executives lock themselves in the 14th floor which do not give access to normal employees.

"Open" your door to employees

Dear Future buyer: You will be purchasing an empty shell of what Microstrategy used to be. Pay accordingly

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some talented young professionals that will have a bright future...somewhere else

Cons

CEO in wrong role. He understands technology but lacks severely in understanding sales, people management and business in general

Hard to use software that is outdated now because of a lack of focus on core competency

Low compensation for lower level employees when compared to other software companies in the area. Used to be worth it to work here because of the good people, technology and name brand but not anymore

Mr. Saylor, I have nothing but respect for what you have accomplished over the last 20 years. However, everyone (even the CEO) has a specific role in the business and needs to operate within their boundaries. Your job is to lead the overall strategy. You hire others to execute so give others freedom to do this. The company is not in a bad place because people were not executing properly. It is in a bad place because you chose to gamble the company's money on some ideas that didn't pan out because they were not aligned well with the main BI offering. Next time, form new entities with these products instead of taking money from the core business. This was the cause for needing to cut costs and was what hurt Microstrategy's employees and stockholders

Not great

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

All of the "regular" employees are wonderful. There is a gym with free classes available for any employee. Free parking right next to the mall and access to the metro.

Cons

Upper management is terrible. There is a lack of communication between the executives on 14 and everyone else on the floors below.

MicroStrategy used to be a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Current Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy

Pros

Having an opportunity to work with the extremely talented and smart people that are left after the layoffs and mass amounts of voluntary attrition. The vacation plan and benefits are good.

Cons

Everything else...to include a complete lack of direction, no vision or go forward strategy, never ending change and turmoil at the top, no hiring except for more and more unnecessary VPs, barely any women in senior leadership roles, questionable decision making, and a complete lack of communication from the executive team aside from infrequent pointless all hands calls and long e-mails that don't address any of the issues that people are concerned about or the questions they are asking.

Morale is incredibly low and is only getting worse. The people who are left are demotivated and overworked as they are picking up the slack from everyone who has resigned and left the company since the layoffs started back in September. There is no decision making power outside of the CEO's office and very few people, if any, have the ability to influence the direction, structure, or compensation for own their teams anymore. It is apparent that the CEO only appreciates complete agreement based on his latest "circle of trust". He doesn't listen to feedback from anyone who doesn't agree with him, not even from the high level executives that he hired to run various parts of the business that are only looking to implement best practices in their organizations.

MSTR has never had a strong or well-rounded Education program for internal employees, but we were well known for our 6 week bootcamp training that resulted in the MCD (MicroStrategy Certified Developer) certification. All new technical employees received this training upon joining the company. This is now going away and there are rumors that it will be replaced by a one week bootcamp that will simply be a crash course in our products. It is bad enough that there is no formalized continuing education programs for technical or professional skills, but to eliminate the one big investment that the company was making in a large number of our employees to get them basic MSTR skills is incredibly disappointing.

Our customers and partners are acutely aware of the dysfunction happening at MSTR and it is beginning to affect our sales cycles. Companies are starting to not want to be associated with us, candidates aren't interested in joining the company, and a large majority of the current employee base is actively looking to leave the organization.

If I had reviewed this company even 6 months ago, my feedback would have been completely different. Unfortunately this seems to be consistent with the recent reviews and also the trend reporting. I hope that MSTR can turn things around however, it will take some drastic positive changes from the top and I've lost confidence that this will happen any time soon.

Stabilize the company before it's too late. Create a vision and a strategy that looks ahead more than 1 month, use this to create organizational goals for your executive team and then let go of the reins. Create policies and programs that encourage top performance and provide development opportunities to the people you have left. Finally, take a few leadership courses to understand what it takes to inspire and motivate people towards a common purpose so that your employees can believe in your vision and get behind it, once you have a vision.

Used to be a good company.

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, smart colleagues, great to work with smart people!!!

Cons

Upper management do not value loyal employees, job security is in danger once hitting the glass ceiling. Do not stay too long, find a new job before they lay you off.

Invest on employee to help them to develop to their full potential.

So much potential, so few talented executives to actually realize said potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are great. Over the years, MicroStrategy has done a great job recruiting excellent talent. I would say the reason most people stay here is working with alongside some fantastic colleagues as well as the nice facilities.

Cons

Management has definitely lost their edge. We have an executive staff that makes decisions in a vacuum. I would compare the flow of information to that of the CIA. The communication is terrible. On top of that, listening skills are even worse. One would think that an executive team would spend more time understand the needs and pains of their employees in order to help improve the company as a whole. This has been painfully overlooked and we are definitely suffering as a result.

Work-life balance is decent depending on which department you are in and the same goes for career growth. The toughest issue is knowing that you can spend long hours on a project only to have to go backwards and start over when management decides they want to do something different. You start to question what you are actually accomplishing and what difference it actually makes.

The people at Microstategy are your greatest asset. LISTEN to them. Try to create policies that encourage and foster a positive working environment where people are happy to come in and work hard for you. PLEASE! This company has great potential for increased growth in the coming years if it can get it's act together. Otherwise you should just sell the company and let a more competent team come in and do the job for you.

D.I.S.G.U.S.T.I.N.G.

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

I have spent less than a year in this madhouse and hated every single day. There is nothing good about this company. Except for your last day when you walk out and feel like finally waking up from a nightmare.

Cons

Think of everything you despise in corporate life: zero strategy or direction and changing priorities every week, complete disregard for customers and the market, internal politics so bad you cannot imagine, insane and incapable senior management that suck it up all day, a CEO who is totally nuts and publicly known as a clown, a toxic blame culture and much more...at MicroTragedy you get all of this every day.

This is for sure the worst company I have ever seen and I have heard many others say the same. No normal person can stay in this environment for long, except for the yes-men who hang in there since a decade or longer and who are co-responsible for this tragedy. They don't know better, they have never seen anything different, let alone worked in a good company. For them Sailor's insanity is normal and they suck it up every day and are no different.

In the short time I have been there (and I regret every single day as a complete waste of my time) I have seen several great and experienced leaders join (presumably they were lied to just as myself in terms of what to expect). Not a single one is left. They all quit after they saw what is going on and moved on to a better place. Which is what I am doing now.

Bottom line: this has been the biggest mistake of my career and I am writing this to prevent others from falling into the same trap.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. Incompetence mixed with a complete lack of leadership skills and bad character is all you got. If you had any dignity you would just quietly resign.

experience a dinosaur's extinction

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Just about everyone is now running on skeleton crews and does 3 different jobs for the company. While anyone with developed yes-man skills will manage to thrive over someone of strong moral character, at the end of the day things needs to get done and there are solid corps of professionals that are delivering the results of teams on an individual basis. Respect from your peers is the only reward you can reasonably expect, and there are a lot of people that raise the bar consistently. Amongst the brimstone lay diamonds, and you will have the opportunity to choose which to be.

Cons

World was a stellar production of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Employees are getting treated like an expendable resource. Jumpers are beginning to out number the laid off.

If no one else, please listen to your customers.