MicroStrategy Reviews

• Vienna, VA
3.1
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Worst company I have ever worked fot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

Some very talented people work at Microstrategy that are willing to work very long hours to meet unreasonable deadlines.

Cons

The executive team surrounding Saylor are "yes" men, afraid to question his unreasonable demands or have a reasonable discussion on any topic. No one is empowered to make any decisions. No training or advancement for employees. Large scale layoffs at Saylor's whim. No long or short term stategy. Most key people have left the company in the last year.

Put in an executive management team to run the company

No opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Associate in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people to work with; ability to work out at the employee gym and take classes during the day; close to the mall

Cons

there are no opportunities for growth or promotions. layoffs have impacted staff morale. executive management provides little to no direction of the future for the company.

Good company, risky side projects

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the company, the people and the work life balance
    You get to learn a lot
    You have fun

Cons

Company has risky projects which differ from their main offering and lead to job insecurity
    No clear recognition for good work
    No clear path of career development

Interact more with employees and make sure that all low level employees are aware of what we are trying to acomplish with the new releases/features/offering and WHY

great for new graduates but recent layoff and re-org is scary

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very talented engineering team. Great working environment with an on-premise gym. The product they are building, especially the analytics platform is a powerful tool and knowing how it works is a very good skill in your career

Cons

work-life balance and really the upper management

Be focused and layout a long term strategy and stick to it.

6. Great work life balance

Current Employee - Education Specialist in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Education Specialist in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people
    -Great training
    -Great work life balance

Cons

Very hard to get salary increases

Think hard before you accept an offer here - you will have NO job security.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

It's hard to come up with 20 positive words. The only thing I can say about this company is that there are roughly 3 good, honest, nice people in the entire company.

Cons

People always comment on the "corporate culture" being great at MicroStrategy. For the first 1 or 2 months it is. After that, it's hell. They'll tell you it's a "work hard, play hard" environment. It's actually a work hard, be unappreciated, and then work MORE environment. The management does not care about its employees and there's an enormous disconnect between upper management and all other employees (both figuratively and literally, there's a 14th floor where all of upper management sits and no one but upper management has access to get there). Beware: you will be treated like an idiot and a child and nothing you do will be acceptable or good enough.

The company is extremely unstable. They hire recklessly and then fire in the same manner. Recently the company lost money and then fired over 300 people the next week. This is all while hiring around 60 new people a month in the US alone. The company also has no respect for its employees and when they lay people off they tell the person they're being laid off and tell the person they need to be out of the office by the end of the day (5PM). This means everything you've been given to work with (laptop, phone, tablet, garage pass, badge, email access, etc.) has to be returned and will be shut off within the next 6 hours (if you're lucky and they tell you in the morning).

NEW COLLEGE GRADS: If you're a new college grad, PLEASE read this carefully. I was in the same boat as you when I took this job with MicroStrategy. I thought, "wow they're taking a chance on me and giving me a job and a good starting salary, etc." Keep in mind though, you are DISPOSABLE. While they may offer a good starting salary, beware because this salary will probably not change for the next 3 or 4 years. Then, if it does it's not going up by much. Also, your bonus is NOT GUARANTEED and usually it's sales based and not performance based.

"Re-organizations" are constant and result in the employees never having solid ground under their feet. You have no job security due to the fact that your position could be eliminated at any time and you'll never have a set line of managers because the structure of the company changes so frequently.

To conclude here, do your research on jobs in general but ESPECIALLY on this one. You don't want to get into this job where you'll be overworked, under-appreciated, under-paid, and never have any job security.

Listen to your employees. Management isn't always right. HR and upper management need to act as neutral parties instead of trying to placate wronged employees. Also, think through your hiring and firing. It doesn't make any sense to hire hundreds of people a month and fire hundreds of people in the same month. Do some planning and give your employees some job security because you'll be able to keep loyal employees if you respect them even a little. Having this kind of turnover is ridiculous.

Too disappointed

Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing more than a competitive salary

Cons

Not stable at all. I was recruited for only one month and then had to leave the company due to headcount reduction.

Don't make decisions without thorough consideration. The sudden headcount reduction really sucks. At least you should provide some time for people to get prepared and find new jobs.

9. Enormous growth opportunities, great environment, free gym

Current Employee - Lead IT Business Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Lead IT Business Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative environment and great team

Cons

In my position I would love to move away form excel, unfortunately due to the fact that we do not have enough systematization/ atomization to support our daily work projects are difficult to complete.

Would love management to invest more to support internal administration and activities. Unfortunately today this is not possible.
    Salaries need to be competitive with the market place

Great starting experience but a very traditional east coast corp

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was new to software world and this was my first full-time job out of college. It really prepared me for a successful career in software and data. Lots of other young people when I joined who became good friends.

Cons

Its an old school hierarchical org where promotions and raises are based on tenure more than competence and ambition. Anyone young with ambition will inevitably have to quit.

Take a page out of silicon valley hiring and promoting practices. Flatten the org more.

11. Great company on leading edge of new technologies in mobile applications, security applications

Current Employee - Consultant in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to develop career

Cons

Consulting requires a lot of traveling

None