MicroStrategy

Updated September 4, 2014
3.2

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Pros
  • The best thing here is the work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great products and it's great working with so many smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • international collaboration, good work-life balance, bi training (in 6 reviews)

• Senior Management is frivolous and the employees pay the price of their wastage (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Education Specialist  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Education Specialist in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great people
    -Great training
    -Great work life balance

Cons

Very hard to get salary increases

Too disappointed

Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing more than a competitive salary

Cons

Not stable at all. I was recruited for only one month and then had to leave the company due to headcount reduction.

Don't make decisions without thorough consideration. The sudden headcount reduction really sucks. At least you should provide some time for people to get prepared and find new jobs.

Think hard before you accept an offer here - you will have NO job security.

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

It's hard to come up with 20 positive words. The only thing I can say about this company is that there are roughly 3 good, honest, nice people in the entire company.

Cons

People always comment on the "corporate culture" being great at MicroStrategy. For the first 1 or 2 months it is. After that, it's hell. They'll tell you it's a "work hard, play hard" environment. It's actually a work hard, be unappreciated, and then work MORE environment. The management does not care about its employees and there's an enormous disconnect between upper management and all other employees (both figuratively and literally, there's a 14th floor where all of upper management sits and no one but upper management has access to get there). Beware: you will be treated like an idiot and a child and nothing you do will be acceptable or good enough.

The company is extremely unstable. They hire recklessly and then fire in the same manner. Recently the company lost money and then fired over 300 people the next week. This is all while hiring around 60 new people a month in the US alone. The company also has no respect for its employees and when they lay people off they tell the person they're being laid off and tell the person they need to be out of the office by the end of the day (5PM). This means everything you've been given to work with (laptop, phone, tablet, garage pass, badge, email access, etc.) has to be returned and will be shut off within the next 6 hours (if you're lucky and they tell you in the morning).

NEW COLLEGE GRADS: If you're a new college grad, PLEASE read this carefully. I was in the same boat as you when I took this job with MicroStrategy. I thought, "wow they're taking a chance on me and giving me a job and a good starting salary, etc." Keep in mind though, you are DISPOSABLE. While they may offer a good starting salary, beware because this salary will probably not change for the next 3 or 4 years. Then, if it does it's not going up by much. Also, your bonus is NOT GUARANTEED and usually it's sales based and not performance based.

"Re-organizations" are constant and result in the employees never having solid ground under their feet. You have no job security due to the fact that your position could be eliminated at any time and you'll never have a set line of managers because the structure of the company changes so frequently.

To conclude here, do your research on jobs in general but ESPECIALLY on this one. You don't want to get into this job where you'll be overworked, under-appreciated, under-paid, and never have any job security.

Listen to your employees. Management isn't always right. HR and upper management need to act as neutral parties instead of trying to placate wronged employees. Also, think through your hiring and firing. It doesn't make any sense to hire hundreds of people a month and fire hundreds of people in the same month. Do some planning and give your employees some job security because you'll be able to keep loyal employees if you respect them even a little. Having this kind of turnover is ridiculous.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enormous growth opportunities, great environment, free gym

Current Employee - Lead IT Business Analyst  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Lead IT Business Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovative environment and great team

Cons

In my position I would love to move away form excel, unfortunately due to the fact that we do not have enough systematization/ atomization to support our daily work projects are difficult to complete.

Would love management to invest more to support internal administration and activities. Unfortunately today this is not possible.
    Salaries need to be competitive with the market place

Great starting experience but a very traditional east coast corp

Current Employee - Quality Engineer  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was new to software world and this was my first full-time job out of college. It really prepared me for a successful career in software and data. Lots of other young people when I joined who became good friends.

Cons

Its an old school hierarchical org where promotions and raises are based on tenure more than competence and ambition. Anyone young with ambition will inevitably have to quit.

Take a page out of silicon valley hiring and promoting practices. Flatten the org more.

Great Benefits At First, Lacking Management and Direction

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are competitive at first, lenient with work schedule, easy to move between departments.

Cons

No communication, no clear career path, minimal work-life balance, pay gets less competitive the longer you're there.

Make the work less task based and more evenly distributed.

Great company on leading edge of new technologies in mobile applications, security applications

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to develop career

Cons

Consulting requires a lot of traveling

None

Used to be much better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great product, flexible schedules, good company to start your career. You can work with some smart people and learn from them.

Cons

Compensation is below market and raises are minimal. Very political environment. C level management lacks market knowledge and involvement with the personnel. Promotions aren't always based on performance but tenure. Limited career opportunities. Constant change of plans and lack of direction makes it feel like working on fire fighting mode.

Culture has changed since I joined; it used to be much better (fun, energizing). People are not motivated anymore and you can sense that. Take care of the people, listen to them and treat them with RESPECT in every level. For senior management, stop being afraid of the CEO and defend your ideas for once, communication should be both ways not just listening to what he needs to say.

Great first job but suffers from a high rate of turn over and limited career growth options after initial promotion

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy to rise in the organization and is a great first job.

Cons

High rate of turn-over for many positions. People are too comfortable in their positions and Management does not take action regarding lazy employees since on paper everything looks excellent.

Compensate the senior employees more generously as they are what keeps this company moving forward. Investigate and take action regarding why average length of employment is less than one year for new hires.

Really enjoy working for this company

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    Access to great equipment
    Great benefits and salary

Cons

Constantly changing priorities/ company direction

Worked for MicroStrategy? Contribute to the Community!