MicroStrategy

MicroStrategy Reviews in Vienna, VA

Updated Jun 30, 2014

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor

Michael J. Saylor

Pros
  • The best thing here is the work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Great products and it's great working with so many smart people(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • international collaboration, good work-life balance, bi training(in 6 reviews)

• Senior Management is frivolous and the employees pay the price of their wastage(in 9 reviews)

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Lead Recruiter (Former Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsCutting edge software. Mature but still entrepreneurial company after 25 years of business. Great team to work with and very intelligent staff and management team. The staff is very solutions oriented and very aggressive in getting software to market. The company is big on hiring bright young talent and is big on giving opportunities for employees to be promoted from within. Also, the company has a strong employee referral program

ConsCompany has a tendency to over hire staff and then do big layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementBe disciplined with your hiring

Enormous growth opportunities, great environment, free gym

Lead IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsInnovative environment and great team

ConsIn my position I would love to move away form excel, unfortunately due to the fact that we do not have enough systematization/ atomization to support our daily work projects are difficult to complete.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love management to invest more to support internal administration and activities. Unfortunately today this is not possible.
    Salaries need to be competitive with the market place

Great starting experience but a very traditional east coast corp

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsI was new to software world and this was my first full-time job out of college. It really prepared me for a successful career in software and data. Lots of other young people when I joined who became good friends.

ConsIts an old school hierarchical org where promotions and raises are based on tenure more than competence and ambition. Anyone young with ambition will inevitably have to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a page out of silicon valley hiring and promoting practices. Flatten the org more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Benefits At First, Lacking Management and Direction

Associate Product Manager (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsBenefits are competitive at first, lenient with work schedule, easy to move between departments.

ConsNo communication, no clear career path, minimal work-life balance, pay gets less competitive the longer you're there.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the work less task based and more evenly distributed.

Great company on leading edge of new technologies in mobile applications, security applications

Consultant (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsPlenty of opportunities to develop career

ConsConsulting requires a lot of traveling

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Getting better

R&D (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

Pros- Upper management believes in our products and offerings
    - CEO is fully committed to new Social Applications venture
    - Fantastic benefits with great healthcare matching, 401K, etc
    - HQ is in a great location and is a beautiful building with a gym, open layout, lots of windows, etc
    - Co-workers are mostly extremely smart, helpful people

Cons- Base salary in my position will never increase beyond yearly raise (typically 2-5% each year)
    - No clear career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for people to argue raises based on merit

Used to be much better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsGreat product, flexible schedules, good company to start your career. You can work with some smart people and learn from them.

ConsCompensation is below market and raises are minimal. Very political environment. C level management lacks market knowledge and involvement with the personnel. Promotions aren't always based on performance but tenure. Limited career opportunities. Constant change of plans and lack of direction makes it feel like working on fire fighting mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture has changed since I joined; it used to be much better (fun, energizing). People are not motivated anymore and you can sense that. Take care of the people, listen to them and treat them with RESPECT in every level. For senior management, stop being afraid of the CEO and defend your ideas for once, communication should be both ways not just listening to what he needs to say.

Great first job but suffers from a high rate of turn over and limited career growth options after initial promotion

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsEasy to rise in the organization and is a great first job.

ConsHigh rate of turn-over for many positions. People are too comfortable in their positions and Management does not take action regarding lazy employees since on paper everything looks excellent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate the senior employees more generously as they are what keeps this company moving forward. Investigate and take action regarding why average length of employment is less than one year for new hires.

Really enjoy working for this company

ProsFlexible hours
    Access to great equipment
    Great benefits and salary

ConsConstantly changing priorities/ company direction

Overall, not a bad company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsWork schedules and locations can be flexible.
    Coworkers are very helpful - if the person you asked doesn't know the answer, s/he will often help you find someone that does know the answer. Initial product training gives good exposure to the product.

ConsCompany doesn't promote new positions to employees first. The way to know if positions are coming open is to monitor LinkedIn.
    Cross country travel isn't factored into work schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive existing employees a chance to move up / around. Factor crazy travel times into expected billing.

Worked for MicroStrategy? Contribute to the Community!