Microage

Add Photos

Jeff McKeever

Great Place to Work

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsVery entrepreneurial organization. Unlimited upside.

ConsNone really, you are given lots of flexibility to be successful. I would not recommend to an individual you needs a lot of direction from a supervisor. There entrepreneurial organization works best for self directed individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love the culture. Make sure you do not lose that as you get larger.

Interesti

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood food in the cafeteria

ConsParking was hard to find on weekdays

Ugh - why did I come here?

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsFree lunches sometimes, the IT guy is cool, lots of vendors to work with (sometimes too many).

ConsThe commissions they state in their interviews are nickel and dimed down - you will be lucky to make half of what you are promised after "fees" like credit card fees, "load" on revenue and mysterious other ticky tack fees to pad MA's pocket. Also if you don't hound your customers for payment within close to 30 days your commission gets cut in almost half... totally insane! Training is a joke - how to leave a voicemail? Come on! Supposedly we hire only veteran reps. Also if you leave they are sue happy - watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementWho cares? You won't take any advice anyway. I have heard many reps grumble that they have given advise only to be ignored.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where have all the good reps gone?

Account Management (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsThe management and long term employees think very highly of themselves. No lack of self confidence.

ConsKeep in mind, this is a very old company, new ideas are poo-poo'ed as soon as they come out of your mouth. They also keep some sub par employees (bad apples) that are very unpleasant to work around, and it seems to drive the good reps out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you have been in business for a very long time, but keep an open mind, and don't let yourselves (management) be part of the problem.

I loved the people and the core values at MicroAge

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsLots of autonomy. Ability to determine your own compensation. Very experienced and committed support people. Access to unlimited number of suppliers. Very flat organization chart. Sell whatever you choose as long as it is profitable. Training group is top notch.

ConsDidn't always get the best pricing from suppliers. Because profit margins are so high, often did not support large, lower margin deals. Multiple systems for daily work was cumbersome.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with the profitable growth. Don't get in the way of reps who are making money.

Senior Account Executive-Very good opportunity.

Inside/Outside Sales Professional (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsVery good capability to make serious income.

ConsNeed Steady customer base to prosper.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread the wealth evenly.

Best company I have ever worked for...

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsIf you like to work on your own and don't need to be babysat - this is the place for you! You must be a self-starter to succeed here as there is little hand holding involved and you must hunt for your own prospect and leads. However, in doing so the work life balance is amazing as is the commission schedule! The trend towards data center certification and higher end training is a very welcome shift as well. The company feels like a large family.

ConsThe systems are outdated like the archaic ordering system and there seems to be support staff bloat for the amount of sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the bottom 15% of sales reps who aren't cutting it, trim the support staff by streamlining systems and processes and increase profits for both the company and increase the rep commission plan marginally.

Disneyland!

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat management, great people, great colleagues, lot's of money!

Consthat I left the company

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work!

working at Microage

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsMicroAge allows you to build your own business. There are no Sales Mangers and no metrics to follow. Almost everyone I met there was very nice and easy to work with. Everyone in Sales and Support are great people and very helpful.

ConsThere are some conflicting ideas at MicroAge. I entered into this job with some speculation, but was able to figure out the daily patterns there after about 4 weeks. The reason I say there are conflicting ideas is because the training and mentoring you receive is different than what upper management expects. This advice from certain training individuals will give you an idea of what direction you are expected to go, but in my case, it was not the direction that my boss wanted me to go, and I was released. If you are looking at a career at MicroAge, I recommend that you take the advice of your direct report, the one who can fire you, instead of anyone in a training position.

Another bit of advice before starting there is to not look at prior experiences at MicroAge. When I first started, I made it clear that I had practically no accounts and many of the people there stated that they spent a good 6 to 9 months building a customer base. I was given 2 and a half months, and then released. Unless you have IT accounts, and make sure its at least 10 good accounts, you may struggle as building new accounts is a time intensive job. Overall, I was excited with my progress and very surprised to be let go so soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe training that MicroAge offers needs to be in sync with what upper management is looking for in a sales rep. If the training that they offer conflicts with upper management goals, then the attrition rate will increase and MicroAge will soon gain a bad reputation. I understand that you dont like to interact with the sales people that often, but you need to set a clear understanding of your expectations from the beginning, work with the training staff to help new hires to achieve these expectations and not conflict with them, and offer a timeline to these expectations. If this does not fit your business model, then you need to let your employees know this before they start what your timeframe and expectations are. Two and a half months is not enough time to build a solid IT relationship. Be clear before you hire, you're looking to bring accounts in from other IT vendors.

Stay away from microAge

Network Analyst (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsThey were a growing company with opportunity to advance. If you want to work someplace else within the company, you could switch to that department. Due to high turn over, you could advance very rapidly.

ConsSenior management could not manage the company once the incredible growth slowed. Money is mismanaged and un planned growth leads to most departments being in constant movement which is very disruptive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone who can manage a company that is not growing, but is sustaining. Plan more than 1 fe wmonths out. A sustaining company should be run differently than a growth one. The leadership does not know how to do this.

Worked for Microage? Contribute to the Community!