Microchip Technology Reviews

Reset
3.7
Microchip Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Sanghi
Steve Sanghi

Pros
  • Good work life balance if managers are good (in 31 reviews)

• Work culture is very good at Microchip (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below industry standards (in 7 reviews)

• a bit low salary compared to other companies in the same industry (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Microchip Technology as a work environment

Current Employee - Group Leader - Information Systems in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Group Leader - Information Systems in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Microchip Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee involvement in the company goals is a primary focus of this company. Keeping open lines of communication throughout the chain of employees supports everyone aiming at these common goals. The respect given to employees here is amazing. The ability to grow into richer work responsibilities is part of the culture. You can grow into any type of roll you put your mind to achieving.

Cons

It takes a certain type of individual to work at Microchip. You need to buy into the shared exposure of the company in regards to your individual success. The flip side of this team player approach is that when the company does well, the success and benefits are shared with everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep working to absorb new employees acquired through acquisitions into the Microchip culture as fast as possible. This team approach to growing the company through shared goals and the focus on the future of the company is a very desirable feature of working here.

May 27, 2015

Thanks for your review! We appreciate your feedback.

Design Engineer

I have been working at Microchip Technology full-time

Pros

Great work and life balance. The work is not pushy and all my directors and colleagues are very friendly :)

Cons

Compared with companies in California, the salary is not that attractive. And Arizona is too hot...

3. Field Sales Engineer

Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Microchip Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Microchip's company culture is better than any other company that I have been involved with over my last 9 years in the industry. The teamwork atmosphere has made it an easy and enjoyable transition these last few months.

Cons

There really is no "con." Trying to get integrated into my team has had its challenges from a timing standpoint, which would be the same with any other company. The onboarding process and training material is lengthy, but it is straightforward and very beneficial.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to continue heavily promoting the Microchip culture to new candidates. I can't stress enough the value that I put on this as I made my decision to join the company. If all else is equal or comparable, this sets our company far above the rest.

Jul 22, 2015 – Senior Manager - Human Resources

Thanks for the positive review!

5. Great company!

I have been working at Microchip Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good to its employees, decent benefits, growing

Cons

Still in the big company learning curve

6. Great company to transition into, or for a new collage grad.

Current Employee - Principal Applications Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Principal Applications Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Microchip Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a growing company with lots of opportunities. The senior management team is world class. The company is tightly run and the company resources are wisely allocated for growth. You can see the company financials over the last 5, 10 or 15 years. It is a safe and secure company to work for. And also transfers within the company is encouraged.

Cons

Microchip is sometimes misspelled as Microcheap... but for good reason, when it comes to employee compensation (base salary), or even capital investment. Make do with what you have mentality is sort of the norm. The idea is to force resourcefulness. Obviously that can backfire sometimes, but clearly senior management has decided that they rather deal with the consequences. Google the company financials... research and development expense is about 20% of revenue, some of the lowest in the industry. This is great for the investors but don't expect your salary to grow much...

Advice to Management

identify your key employees and nurture them. Also provide incentives for success.

7. Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Intern in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Intern in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Microchip Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Everyone is very nice and helpful. Microchip should be your first choice when looking for a new job!

Cons

There are no downsides to working at Microchip. Great community, great people, professional work environment. You won't complain about your job!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The culture here is amazing-and it starts from the top. New employees feel very welcome and at home when working!

Jul 14, 2015 – Senior Manager - Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback! Our internship and new college grad programs are important to us. Microchip understands the unique competencies and skills that new college grads (NCG) bring to our ... More

A Disappointing Turn of Events

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Microchip Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working here, in a product role in my division, is the immense amount of experience and new skills you stand to gain should you want to embrace the role. Speaking with other engineers from other companies helps illuminate what a wealth of knowledge I've obtained during my time here. Microchip is often criticized for its frugality when it comes to equipment and technology, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. In several cases I can argue for this type of financial management. Additionally, the RSUS (At least those given during hiring) and employee stock program are quite nice. The nicity of having an on site clinic (with staff who care) should be mentioned as well. To finish, I can say I legitimately enjoy my actual work. I'm consistently presented with opportunities to learn new techniques and technologies while improving my management skills and I'm thoroughly fascinated with that aspect of my job.

Cons

I can't say for certain how far it extends, but I can say that in my division at minimum quantity is most definitely valued over quality. We have the unfortunate methodology of hiring new college graduates at a rate that is not justified by available product lines, and almost never rewarding excellent performers. Microchip is heralded for its practice of not laying off its people, but it seems this attracts several candidates that work here just for the comfort that they do not have to put forth the effort to keep a job. This is not to say that microchip does not have some excellent people, but rather those who show excellence or diligence are rewarded with additional work which is usually shouldered by those who choose to coast on little to no performance. Finally, we have the less than satisfactory nature of our new system for compensation. I cannot express how much unrest this has generated not only for myself, but those around me as well. I can note several occasions where employees have admitted to not working as hard as they used to due to the ambiguous and odd nature or our new compensatory system. To sum up the new system - raises are now issued quarterly, but never twice within more a year. In fact, I've experienced and heard several cases where employees have been foregone for a raise for two years (to good performers as well), and when it comes it only accounts for inflation. There is also no finite time frame within the quarter you can expect to see if you were chosen for a raise, so you fall into a state consistent aloofness. On top of this, performance reviews are no longer tied to raises or additional compensation. If you ever do get an additional bonus, it's usually once a year and only 10 hours of pay. Whenever you get a raise or bonus you find yourself even questioning why you got it because performance has nothing to do with it. This system creates an intense disconnect between performance and compensation that is currently resulting in good employees becoming mediocre or leaving to competitors. Even more infuriating is the fact that all of middle management seems to agree on several points, but seems to have next to no power to motivate their employees aside from kind words and work assignments. It is clear that there are good managers here, but they have their hands consistently tied. My recommendation to any NCGS or interns evaluating this company is to either opt for another company, or work here for a few years for the experience and then leave to leverage a better position elsewhere.

Advice to Management

This advice is more directed at upper management than middle management, as I've had good experience with middle management and for the most part. Seriously re-valuate the benefits of your current compensatory system and hiring policies. You are losing or discouraging good employees, and encouraging mediocrity. This company has many amazing qualities to it, but this more recent rampage of acquisitions, divisional changes, and compensatory changes has left many employees bereft of direction and finding themselves consistently alienated. I feel many of these reviews have short summaries and try to point out simple solutions but there realistically aren't any. However, unless this current direction is changed I fear microchip will cease to attract any employees that aren't looking to just collect a paycheck without any real contribution. I was disappointed at so many reviews specifying simple myopic responses such as everything is great or terrible, so I'm hoping this feedback does not fall on deaf ears.

9. Great Employer

Former Employee - Production Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Production Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Microchip Technology full-time

Pros

World-class training, excellent rate of pay, great benefits, quarterly bonuses, growth opportunities

Cons

I do not know if they still do this but you would come in thru an agency as a Temp for 3 to 6 months or longer depending on the area that you would be working in.

Advice to Management

Pull the trigger on the hiring of temps it can be discouraging to be temporary for so long and then have someone you work with that has just been hire in as a permanent employee.

10. Test Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Microchip Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable Company and OK compensation.

Cons

Lack of technical leadership and motivation. Lack of technical management.

Advice to Management

Start to take some technical seminars and ATE test classes.

11. Basic Average SemiConductor Work

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Microchip Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company doesn't believe in firing Low need to travel Not overworked HR listens to complaints and handles them accordingly

Cons

No work/life balance Stuck in the 90s as far as software used in chips Hard to have career advancements in certain groups

RSS Feed </> Embed