Microdesk

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Delacey

Great company, happy to be apart of it!

Office Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey are very great at training and accommodating employees needs. I have been here for 4 months and it is by far the best company I have worked for. They fly you to other offices to meet the rest of the team and are taking us to New Orleans with everyone's' Plus 1 for Microdesk's 20 year anniversary. Very generous and an overall great experience.

ConsBeing in a remote office, there are not a lot of people and sometimes it can feel isolated. Also I think our medical coverage is a little too pricey.

Great Team!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsA very professional talented group of people who could't be nicer to work with. You will be working with the latest technology in the business and will learn alot. Company is in growth mode.

ConsThe fast paced growth of the company is causing some challenges but also much excitement. Team spread out accross the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the leaders are home grown, consider bringing in some experienced managers.

Great Company for Engineers- OLD and NEW!

Technical/Executive Administrator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis is a company that respects it's employees. Microdesk asks for feedback and adjusts its approach in a reasonable amount of time. If you have something to say, they want to hear it.
    Time -off is very flexible and easily attainable, even for new hires. The benefits are also amazing.... your discounts, retirement, 401k, medical and dental.
    Leadership and management are very helpful and friendly. My coworkers are even more pleasant. It's like joining a family. Everyone wants you to feel welcome, comfortable and they expect you to ask allot of questions.

ConsMicrodesk is still a growing company and with the changes there are growing pains. There are still a few ways of taking care of tasks that hasn't been fully established. If you feel like you don't know what is going on you can discuss it with you co-worker and they will be more than happy to assist but there is also a chance that they wont have the answer either.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should have a better system in place with steady mentors for training until they figure out a process that works best for them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional and extremely nice

Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsMicrodesk has a strong support system that nourishes productivity and happiness. Results are more important than hours. You get the freedom to immerse yourself in the industry but you always have a large network of very talented people at your disposal.

ConsCalifornia Taxes are absolutely suffocating

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to push the company towards newer technology. Actively involve yourself with developing tech companies and entrepreneurs.

Best opportunity I could have possibly received right out of college.

Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking for Microdesk opens so many doors. The opportunities the company offers are really great, including different types of certifications in a variety of programs that would benefit in every way long term. They say, "if you love your job, you never work a day in your life", and so far in my experience here I haven't woken up not wanting to come to work. The client projects are extensive and keep you busy, I find it very interesting and simply an honor being able to contribute on some of these world renown projects. In addition to the actual work, the people of this company truly make it that much better. Everybody is connected, even on different sides of the country. Microdesk takes care of their employees in many ways, happy workers produce the best product.

ConsCould be a lot of travel involved if you don't have an in office or a permanent client on site position. Some positions can bring you pretty far away from home, however, Microdesk takes care of the expenses. Another con would be the amount of hours in front of a screen each day, can be strenuous at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! Really like the atmosphere produced and the time taken to reach out to every new hire for anything needed.

Very supportive company

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsI have only been here a little over a month and everyone has been very supportive and helpful to get you up to speed...received a full week of on-boarding . Expectations are given but not micromanaged which is a big thing for me. They are concerned about your safety and health.... especially during these huge storms.Great pay and benefits. When I interviewed it was important for me to find out if people liked being here. I interviewed with 6 people who had various lengths of employment and I asked all of them why they liked being here.... all gave me the same answer..... that they are treated right, feel they can contribute and make a difference plus are valued for this contribution.

ConsNone that I see as of yet.

Always have a Plan B if you work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey do manage to find a very fun lively staff, so you will enjoy getting to know your coworkers. If you are in one of the jobs that travels, its fun at first.

ConsI'm actually surprised there's not more reviews...I'm pretty sure this company has a 50% turnover rate within the first year. I don't think the CFO understands how to business forecast so people are hired and fired based on two good months or two bad months. The President is a sleazeball and I think half of the company revenue goes towards sexual harassment lawsuits and expensing strip club bills.

If you're in sales: The micro-management of the sales team is appalling and counter-productive. There are a million sales jobs with more opportunities for growth, better job perks and benefits, and more freedom to actually develop business. My best advice to you is to take one of those. There might be only 1 or 2 people on the sales team making more than six figures, despite a lot of hard workers on the team.

If you're in HR: Unless you're in the Nashua location, expect to be "laid off" after 1 bad quarter.

And if you're an engineering tech: This may be a good career option for you, but definitely have a Plan B on where to go next. A lot of techs move on to client companies so that can be a positive. Oh and despite whatever the recruiter tells you, you won't really know when you are expected to travel until sometimes the day before. So you will probably have to cancel lots of social plans/doctor's appointments etc. as part of the nature of this job.

Also, for all positions: There are no growth prospects within Microdesk itself so keep that in mind and be skeptical of the "expansion" plans they present. Be prepared to go to battle (and most likely lose) for any slight raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish you guys would operate with higher ethics as far as sexual harassment, and also treat your employees better by actually giving salary increases. You would have less turnover which means less ramp up time for an ever changing staff and higher client satisfaction. The whole ship seems to be run haphazardly and I would be surprised if you guys are still around in 10 years based on Autodesk reclaiming this market share.

Microdesk AKA MicroStress is a place of fire drills, chaos, and 75% time spent on admin work not SELLING

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe only pros are apparently written by Corporate "green" Recruiters who were just hired at Microdesk and are posting glowing reviews here because he or she is having challenges recruiting for the company. I have never seen a company go through so many HR Directors and Generalists resigning due to the culture and poor treatment of people. When HR people leave that should all be a red flag for the rest of us.

ConsCompany does not value employees
    Company does not adopt better processes and technologies to solve problems
    Company overloads employees with manual intensive admin tasks and to do it all requires 50-65 hour work week
    Company requires employees to be over-organized but itself is unorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementRead some better leadership book and put down the Bat, Mr. DeLacey, it's not helping with your image.

Microdesk Response

May 8, 2014Corporate Recruiter

The old statement goes......If a customer is not happy they will tell 9 out 10 people they see they had a bad experience where as the ones who have a good experience will tell that other 1 out of ... More

If you are looking for extreme structure, unrealistic work load, this is your type of company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe positive with this company are the rank and file members of the organization. Good people trying to do a good job.

ConsThis company is in constant crises. Moving from one crises to another, quarter by quarter. This is a type of company that you don't need to rush to make a decision as to joining it or not, the position will be available again.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the CFO. The most unprofessional person in the organization.

Micro desk, selective hiring, Minorities not really welcomed.

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsLocation, name of resume and software access

ConsVery white company. Not much diversity. Low ball salary and long hours.

Worked for Microdesk? Contribute to the Community!