Microdesk

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Delacey

Very supportive company

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Nashua, NH

ProsI have only been here a little over a month and everyone has been very supportive and helpful to get you up to speed...received a full week of on-boarding . Expectations are given but not micromanaged which is a big thing for me. They are concerned about your safety and health.... especially during these huge storms.Great pay and benefits. When I interviewed it was important for me to find out if people liked being here. I interviewed with 6 people who had various lengths of employment and I asked all of them why they liked being here.... all gave me the same answer..... that they are treated right, feel they can contribute and make a difference plus are valued for this contribution.

ConsNone that I see as of yet.

If you are looking for extreme structure, unrealistic work load, this is your type of company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe positive with this company are the rank and file members of the organization. Good people trying to do a good job.

ConsThis company is in constant crises. Moving from one crises to another, quarter by quarter. This is a type of company that you don't need to rush to make a decision as to joining it or not, the position will be available again.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the CFO. The most unprofessional person in the organization.

Always have a Plan B if you work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey do manage to find a very fun lively staff, so you will enjoy getting to know your coworkers. If you are in one of the jobs that travels, its fun at first.

ConsI'm actually surprised there's not more reviews...I'm pretty sure this company has a 50% turnover rate within the first year. I don't think the CFO understands how to business forecast so people are hired and fired based on two good months or two bad months. The President is a sleazeball and I think half of the company revenue goes towards sexual harassment lawsuits and expensing strip club bills.

If you're in sales: The micro-management of the sales team is appalling and counter-productive. There are a million sales jobs with more opportunities for growth, better job perks and benefits, and more freedom to actually develop business. My best advice to you is to take one of those. There might be only 1 or 2 people on the sales team making more than six figures, despite a lot of hard workers on the team.

If you're in HR: Unless you're in the Nashua location, expect to be "laid off" after 1 bad quarter.

And if you're an engineering tech: This may be a good career option for you, but definitely have a Plan B on where to go next. A lot of techs move on to client companies so that can be a positive. Oh and despite whatever the recruiter tells you, you won't really know when you are expected to travel until sometimes the day before. So you will probably have to cancel lots of social plans/doctor's appointments etc. as part of the nature of this job.

Also, for all positions: There are no growth prospects within Microdesk itself so keep that in mind and be skeptical of the "expansion" plans they present. Be prepared to go to battle (and most likely lose) for any slight raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish you guys would operate with higher ethics as far as sexual harassment, and also treat your employees better by actually giving salary increases. You would have less turnover which means less ramp up time for an ever changing staff and higher client satisfaction. The whole ship seems to be run haphazardly and I would be surprised if you guys are still around in 10 years based on Autodesk reclaiming this market share.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Microdesk AKA MicroStress is a place of fire drills, chaos, and 75% time spent on admin work not SELLING

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe only pros are apparently written by Corporate "green" Recruiters who were just hired at Microdesk and are posting glowing reviews here because he or she is having challenges recruiting for the company. I have never seen a company go through so many HR Directors and Generalists resigning due to the culture and poor treatment of people. When HR people leave that should all be a red flag for the rest of us.

ConsCompany does not value employees
    Company does not adopt better processes and technologies to solve problems
    Company overloads employees with manual intensive admin tasks and to do it all requires 50-65 hour work week
    Company requires employees to be over-organized but itself is unorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementRead some better leadership book and put down the Bat, Mr. DeLacey, it's not helping with your image.

Flag Review
    Microdesk Corporate Recruiter responded to this review May 8, 2014 EditDelete
    The old statement goes......If a customer is not happy they will tell 9 out 10 people they see they had a bad experience where as the ones who have a good experience will tell that other 1 out of ... More

Micro desk, selective hiring, Minorities not really welcomed.

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsLocation, name of resume and software access

ConsVery white company. Not much diversity. Low ball salary and long hours.

You will regret working here!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTechnology is good; work from home balance good

ConsManagement
    Did you know they allow the CFO to have his own spouse work directly for him? Did you know the owner is known to 'be with' many of the female employee's? Its well known within this company... So many people have jumped ship from this company, its pretty telling when so many people have left!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new job or go get some training on how to be manager!

Unethical Management Team and Owners, double check your paycheck!

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with my colleagues who were industry professionals was the best

ConsThey are a company with a weak strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strong corporate strategy and stick to it

Great Company

Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Nashua, NH

ProsThe People, strong growth, multi- locatrions, AEC Market, BIM Modeling

ConsGeographically challenging with headquarters in Nashua, NH.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Professional Career Sales Reps Need Not Apply at Microdesk

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsIndustry education and weekly learning is exemplary
    Expenses are paid without much hassle
    Mid-size employer with 50% matching of medical health care plan
    Established East Coast Brand among Autodesk Partners

ConsLow morale because of the level of stress and pressure the owner puts on his leadership team which flows downhill. For example: This was the only company I have worked for that placed all the California reps on a performance plan on the final month of a fiscal year and threaten them with termination. These types of tactics are the "norm" at Microdesk and another reviewer wrote accurately that the culture is, unfortunately, "90% stick, and 10% carrot".

Assignment of annual quota plan, but little regard by management to look at the business in a 12-month fiscal window and no recognition of performing per plan or an annual performance review. If you over-perform your quota, you will be thanked with an 80%+ hike in your quota the next fiscal year with no performance review and no performance raises.

Micro-management style leadership is common here. Over 60+ reps have come and gone in (4) California offices in seven years since they first entered the California market (2005).

Intensive manual-labor for entire back office team which results in errors on commission checks, and one is required to audit and submit shortage on deals to prove otherwise.

Microdesk is an Autodesk Reseller and among all Resellers in North America they are the only ones who make reps learn 4-5 industry disciplines which inherently leads to climbing a hill the size of Mt. Whitney just to be industry competent. For those of us that enjoy challenges this could be a plus, however, it often overwhelms many new reps just to catch-up against the competition. Average for most reps to finally get the industry and add value to their clients is 18 months. Average reps departing Microdesk is 14 months.

The commission plan changes every year and further traps are placed by the management team so that reps are not allowed to make any real compensation and average reps make $8-12K in commission and top reps at most make $20K in commission per year. $2M in Gross Sales will not compensate you into a six figure income due to the compensation plans' structure and traps.

Why Go Work Here?
    1. Inexperienced Sales Reps who would like to be in the AEC industry are the best fit: Apply here if you have less than 4 years of work experience. Anyone with 7-10+ years of experience: This is Double-AA minor league baseball team and your skills will be appreciated elsewhere. If you do join, then you will figure out all too quickly that the leadership team wants reps who lack critical thinking skills and just do exactly what they are told to do. Problem with that is we're not machines, we're human beings who need to be appreciated and recognized.

2. Industry experience and knowledge, but don't expect rewards, accolades, or positive reinforcement of any kind - it just isn't in the Owner's DNA of how he runs the company.

Advice to Senior Management#1: In order for Microdesk to truly transform itself into a real consulting organization, the Owner must first ask himself two things: a) What is the true cost of hiring Sales Reps and training them up only to lose them and have that intellectual capital walk out the door? b) Is Microdesk a leader and an innovator in the industry with smarter automation than anyone else? Why not? Where can we reduce our industry "re-work" and gain effectiveness whereby liberating people to focus on better productivity?

#2: This is a for-profit, privately-held company, but it has more overhead of non-revenue generating positions than any company I have ever worked for because of the manually-labor intensive back office team, operations, and administration. To the Owner: Valuing non-revenue positions over revenue generating producers is the most important reason why you have cash flow issues and need to hire an Organizational Consultant(s) to explain the net costs to your pocket.

#3: It's time to clean house on the Leadership Team. Leaders "DO" and lead by example. If a leader exhibited industry knowledge, displayed interest and knowledge of accounts, stayed late, worked the phones, and helped reps find business opportunities, then that's the leader all of us field sales reps would march behind until the sun came down. We would follow this leader and be motivated to help hit the financial goals the Owner desires.

No one makes $100K year here in Sales

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsI used to work at this place and left after a year because it has heavy competition and a commission plan that is setup so you cannot make a lot of money.

no shortage of lists to call on
    away from home office back east
    expenses are approved and paid quickly

**if you have less than 2 years of work experience, this place is great for you to get some good VAR experience.

Consheavy micro management style especially when the company exp tight cash flow issues
    the top sales person in California told me he made $105K while producing $1.8M total sales
    no first year sales person has ever broken six figure income or even in the first 2 years here
    50/50 Health care plan, you pay 50% of the premium

Worked for Microdesk? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microdesk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microdesk CEO Michael Delacey. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Microdesk employees.