Micron Technology

Micron Technology Reviews in Boise, ID

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Micron Technology CEO and Director D. Mark Durcan

D. Mark Durcan

Pros
  • They overload you with work and never care about your work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• Good people, good pay at higher levels, better if you're in an Engineering or Lead role(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are embedded in operations or working in a global role, work-life balance is not guaranteed(in 20 reviews)

• Employees are recognized for time of service and long hours as much or more than their performance(in 16 reviews)

168 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great first job

Shift Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsGreat money, hard to find such a good paying job right out of college. Shift work allows for long 3 & 4 day weekends. Was able to move up considerably in my first 3 years (pay increased 30%!) but feels like I have now plateaued.

ConsA considerable amount of micro-managing. Only a select number of positions in each processing area (etch, litho, etc) in my department, making it challenging to continue moving up. A lot of promotion opportunities are based on attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your engineering team to sustain themselves & make their own decisions.

A company which used to respect its employees is now one which regards them as just a number (& an expense)

Sales (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsExposure to the top echelons of the semiconductor memory world.

ConsAn employee's best is never enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect. Only the Directors and Officers of the company are rewarded with huge stock options, don't expect the minions to share your drive for higher stock prices. A large stock price means nothing if one has no stock. Pay a proper wage?

Respectable company is a growing industry.

Manufacturing Tech (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsGreat benefits, paid training and reimbursement for college courses taken while employed, and clean environment. There are tons of opportunities to move up in the company for those that want to work hard and be a part of the progression of the company. I love my job.

ConsThere have been a few unexpected layoff in the last 6-10 years that definitely make you feel like your job is not as stable as you'd like. But this is the industry of computers. Compete or get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTheir are other companies in the valley that pay better for the same type and qualty of work. Maybe a slight shift upwards in pay would keep those worthwhile employees around to better our company instead of them going to another company and making them look good cause they paid better. But thus is the industry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The uptop people don't always remember the production people

Production Lead (Current Employee) Boise, ID

Prosgreat benefits, they will pay for schooling as long as it is in a business or technology related field

Consonly the people on top seem to get any sort of raises. the production operators don't seem to matter to the higher up management

Advice to Senior Managementremember that you have production people that need to be taken care of and listened to as well.

Laid off

Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsGood advancement for engineering dept.

ConsYou're just a cog in the mechanism

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up to the investing world - difficult to assess growth potential with such erratic, (random? incompetently managed?) information disbursement. Also, throwing your non-exempt employees under the bus after purchasing other bankrupt entities and keeping their employees is bad Karma, (See conflicting ratings below).

Been a good place to work. Look forward to the new transformed company.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsBeen a great place to work for quite some time.

ConsSeems like things are resistant to change - transformation effort has had its difficulties. Change is always hard, at least Micron is trying new things.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep shaking things up.

Great company, Great people!

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsGreat Training Program, Lot of Resources to learn & grow both personally and professionally. You will get to work with some of the sharpest minds in the industry. Always Planned Execution, Second Largest Memory Manufacturer, in the world which boosts the morale within the company. Decently good compensation

ConsHard to move within the company

Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boise, ID

Prosgood management, good company and people

ConsBoise is not a big city

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Stay away from Micron

Finance (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsVacation time adds up quickly compared to most other companies but that is really about all I can say positive about Micron.

ConsSo poorly managed. All the way from the top down. Managers are not given training and incompetent people are put into manager positions. Most are not people persons. Environment does not value teamwork - everyone is out for themselves. Good people are forced out especially for not fitting into the good ol' boys network. Totally top heavy. All VP's are men. Very cyclical and layoffs happen every 3-5 years due to poor management and forecasting. Employees (for the most part) are not listened to. It is very rare to find someone that is content or happy. The entire environment is poisonous and not healthy. A lot of the negative comments on here are very accurate and true.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of always laying off the "worker bees," how about laying off some of the many layers of incompetent managers and starting over with fresh ideas. This company has the potential but until this very odd culture changes, this company will never be what it could be. Hire an outside consulting team to come in and revamp how this place is managed.

Bonus and Management are not great. There are too much politics involve in order to have a career growth

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsThe company is diverse. There are many good team members who are willing to teach

ConsLong hours, no overtime compensation. Management level get way too much of bonus compare to engineers who work long hours. Lack of engineers and way too many managers and leads who do not do any engineering job besides giving orders which ultimately result in a failure organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a promising career growth to employees reasonable bonus and market adjustment

Worked for Micron Technology? Contribute to the Community!