Micron Technology

Micron Technology Reviews in Boise, ID

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Micron Technology CEO and Director D. Mark Durcan

D. Mark Durcan

Pros
  • They overload you with work and never care about your work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• Good people, good pay at higher levels, better if you're in an Engineering or Lead role(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are embedded in operations or working in a global role, work-life balance is not guaranteed(in 20 reviews)

• Employees are recognized for time of service and long hours as much or more than their performance(in 16 reviews)

171 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsEngaging people and projects on the cutting edge of technology. Challenging issues from lithography and process to reliability and overall product quality. Northwest great place to live and work.

ConsWork life balance always a challenge when your career aspirations can drive skew this balance heavily to work side of the scales.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn 10+yrs I have never seen such an effort in management and leadership to make a really good company, a really great company. Lots of efforts around focus and alignment to insure we are a viable company for the future and communicating this to the team members regularly.

Great Internship for Idaho

Accounting Intern (Current Employee) Boise, ID

Pros-Pay is very competitive for interns
    -Excellent facilities and welcoming employees
    -Allow you to be proactive and treat you as if you're going to stay
    -Upper management takes time to meet interns

Cons-Depending on department, interns will/will not have a great experience. Micron is a company of engineers and accounting/finance feel looked down upon
    -work/life balance of employees... come in early and leave later than needful

Advice to Senior Management-Keep supporting the interns!

Good place to start

Analyst (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsGood place to get a job right out of college. I was able to learn a lot about the real world work environment, and was able to apply some of what I learned in college.

ConsIf you let them, they will work you to the bone. Once you are moved from hourly to salary, you will be expected to work 60+ hours per week. Managers and supervisors will take the quantity of hours you spend in the office, rather than quality of work, into consideration during reviews.

Generally speaking, it appeared as though people spent more time looking to place blame on others for things that went wrong, rather than fixing problems. If you take a position at Micron, expect to be "thrown under the bus" quite frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile employed at Micron, I felt that the executive management team did a great job of driving the company to be successful.

Director and management level professionals are worked so hard that, and spend so much time putting out fires, it seems that they have a difficult time doing the job they were hired to do, unless they work 60 - 80 hours per week.

Production supervisors, in my opinion were no more than babysitters. It appeared as though most were promoted because somebody liked them, not because of their capabilities. My experience was that the supervisors were unable (or unwilling) to help their employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to start career

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsNice people here, not too push on work, can learn quite much in a short period of time

Consheadquarter at Boise, ID, kinda boring and rural area

Nice place at Boise

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsBoise is good place to grow kids, family.

ConsVery tough competitor in same area. Very rush working.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing the right decision is better than cost saving decision

Good people and various opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsGood pay for Boise
    Good benefits
    A large company with decent opportunities

ConsSome corporate bureaucracy
    Movement upwards can be difficult since there are many people that won't leave the company (because they won't leave Boise)
    Several executives are in their mid-50's and are part of a group that's been here for decades; this is starting to change a bit with recent new VP's
    Depending on your group, hours can be rough

Decent company

Engineering Technician (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsBig enough to move around in and the technology is varied enough to stay interesting

ConsTop heavy in certain areas who's only job seems to be making their section of the org chart more impressive than their peers

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acquiring management who seem to only care about jockeying for position on the org chart relative to the other management instead of caring for what's best for the company

Good compensation but management is sometimes bizarre.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsThe purchase of Elpida was brilliant, and they are good at new technology (although frequently lagging competitors). Compensation is good. Opportunities for advancement are good, as is compensation, and tuition reimbursement.

ConsHealth insurance for specialists is limited to very few providers, and in come cases, no local provider.
    Over the several years, Micron seems to care less and less about their employees. Top management appears to have hired business consultants and have launched crazy internal programs. Environment is too rushed to have a good culture. Internal feedback does not seem to be considered to a great degree. Break room perks are minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

People matter in words but deeds indicate otherwise

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsHas provided steady employment. I enjoy the people I work with.

ConsCulture has changed to managing resources (people) through more frequent layoffs. Lack of advancement or pay increases because economy is bad. Once economy began to return still no advancement or pay increases. Pay across U.S. and international sites is not the same for the same or similar jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation for the work done needs to be similar across sites. There needs to be some way to determine pay scale by skills and ability. There is too much subjective criteria in the Performance Appraisal system. There needs to be more skill and ability based criteria in Performance Appraisals.

Great place to build up your skill set for young engineers.

Process Integration Engineer (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsWorking with cutting edge toolsets, having large budgets to aggressively attack R&D, lots of talented and intelligent senior engineers to learn from. Compensation, benefits, stock options.

ConsMentality that the more time you are at your desk the better worker you are. High burn out rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCull the weak engineers/technicians/operators from the team regardless of years of service. Put more technical leadership in place and ignore some of the business unit's input.

Worked for Micron Technology? Contribute to the Community!