Micron Technology

Micron Technology Reviews in Manassas, VA

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Micron Technology CEO and Director D. Mark Durcan

D. Mark Durcan

Pros
  • They overload you with work and never care about your work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• Good people, good pay at higher levels, better if you're in an Engineering or Lead role(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are embedded in operations or working in a global role, work-life balance is not guaranteed(in 22 reviews)

• Employees are recognized for time of service and long hours as much or more than their performance(in 16 reviews)

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Improving company improving its business outlook as well as it's corporate culture.

Process Engineer II (Current Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsChallenging work that invites contributions from all members. Senior management very good at recognizing talent. Excellent HR development staff at the company.

ConsHigh stress. Limited career advancement job openings at many sites. Night shift can be draining mentally and physically. Company culture still lacking although it is improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve company culture and recognize contributions from high performing individuals

Fair workplace and good salary

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsChallenging environment with new opportunities coming from new company acquisitions. Good salary and benefits

ConsNot so many opportunities for career growth,

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more opened to maximize and optimize employees' skills.

One of a Kind Opportunity in VA

Technical Writer (Former Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsIn a state saturated with acronym soup (government contracting and software development), this manufacturing facility is a rare find. Technicians walk around in hard hats and clean room gowns; machine components sit half-constructed on desks; people actually build real technology - not all that bland, virtual crap that passes these days for engineering.

People there are enthusiastic about what they build, and it was a pleasure being a tech writer at such a company.

ConsMaybe this is part of working in manufacturing, but there's a definite resistance to doing anything differently. Tribal knowledge makes change frustrating. Also, the cyclical nature of the industry means occasional forced vacations or layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhite collar workers don't and shouldn't subscribe to the same shift mindset as the clean room. Our work is qualitative and our productivity is rarely flat enough to measure in cycle time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good OverallCompany

Equipment Technician (Current Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsThe hours are good and the salary is good for the area. Co workers are great to work with and the clean room environment is great.

ConsPromotions and trust among management. The bonus and ok but could be better. The advancement opportunities have slowed down

Limited growth opportunity

Buyer (Former Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsStable work environment, benefits acceptable,, good training environment for engineers and support groups.

ConsIf you would like to advance be prepared to move to Boise or Singapore. There is little growth opportunity in Virginia.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce Amount of managers/supervisors -very top heavy.

Overworked, underpaid, poorly managed, lacking in opportunities

Engineer (Current Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsLocation - close to Washington DC

ConsWorkload - a typical team is understaffed and overloaded with work. Typical complain is being unable to be on top of things. Shift personnel are untrained or lacking in ownership so they always seek first shift support or 'nod'.
    Management - or lack of it. Top-heavy, mostly white male. Some got their degrees from Phoenix, de Vry or some online 'school'. Management and leadership skills are acquired thru trial and error at the expense of employees.
    Promotion - very minimal. Needs attrition or know someone in upper management a 'la ole boys network
    Salary - not enough considering the cost of living here in Northern VA. Some companies in AZ offer the same salary despite lower cost of living.
    Business prospect - looks good ... for now. Samsung seems to be winning the business long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour workers are your lifeblood. Treat them well and learn to keep them.

Poor Pay for the job and area

Senior Technician (Former Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsAt the time there was plenty of over-time due to a running lean philosphy

ConsAfter 15 months I hadn't received a raise, evaluation or any other type of incentives.

Process Engineer

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Manassas, VA

Pros3-4 days/ week of 12 hour shift, giving a lot time off

ConsShift engineers can get "free ride" because performance is based on the team, not individual performance

Advice to Senior ManagementAssess individual performance more seriously

Great place to build experience

Shift Engineer (Former Employee) Manassas, VA

Pros-Friendly people
    -Lots of opportunities for promotion
    -People motivated huge HR department

Cons-12 hour shifts plus working overnight
    -very simple tedious work
    -working in a cleanroom even if unnecessary for engineering

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance to modern day techniques and bring engineering off of shift and the floor to utilize employees talents most effectively

Girls need not apply

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsI enjoy working with the customers and it is close to home. I also enjoy the 12.5 hours of vacation time I get a month

ConsThis position is really difficult having a work-life balance. The culture tends to be a 'good ole boy's club'. It seems the only way to get promoted is to find a friend who is in upper management. No matter how hard you work, it's not good enough and it's the only place I know that uses a personality contest to get you promoted. Not a very professional atmosphere and a manager who has admitted he knows nothing about what we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice I have is to take a good hard look at your managers and decide if some of them need to be demoted from their positions.

Worked for Micron Technology? Contribute to the Community!