Micron Technology Reviews

Updated August 16, 2014

3.2

Micron Technology CEO and Director D. Mark Durcan
D. Mark Durcan

Pros
  • They overload you with work and never care about your work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Good people, good pay at higher levels, better if you're in an Engineering or Lead role (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are embedded in operations or working in a global role, work-life balance is not guaranteed (in 22 reviews)

• Employees are recognized for time of service and long hours as much or more than their performance (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

A company which used to respect its employees is now one which regards them as just a number (& an expense)

Current Employee - Sales  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Sales in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exposure to the top echelons of the semiconductor memory world.

Cons

An employee's best is never enough.

Treat employees with more respect. Only the Directors and Officers of the company are rewarded with huge stock options, don't expect the minions to share your drive for higher stock prices. A large stock price means nothing if one has no stock. Pay a proper wage?

great opportunities to grow

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

job opportunities and health benefits

Cons

slow growth in career and salary

Overall, a positive place to work with competitive salaries and benefits.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, fast-paced environment, challenging work, talented work force, high tech product, job advancement opportunity.

Cons

The "Good Ole Boy" network still exists, benefits are not what they used to be, top heavy in Information Systems department.

Promote employees based on "what they know" not "who they know".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

QRA Technician

Former Employee - QRA Technician  in  Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - QRA Technician in Manassas, VA

I worked at Micron Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well organized company. Good career advancement opportunities.

Cons

Their bonus system is not all that great.

Respectable company is a growing industry.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, paid training and reimbursement for college courses taken while employed, and clean environment. There are tons of opportunities to move up in the company for those that want to work hard and be a part of the progression of the company. I love my job.

Cons

There have been a few unexpected layoff in the last 6-10 years that definitely make you feel like your job is not as stable as you'd like. But this is the industry of computers. Compete or get out.

Their are other companies in the valley that pay better for the same type and qualty of work. Maybe a slight shift upwards in pay would keep those worthwhile employees around to better our company instead of them going to another company and making them look good cause they paid better. But thus is the industry.

Great products, Terrifically Bad Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Lead RDA Engineer  in  Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Lead RDA Engineer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow in knowledge with challenging products and a lot of internal training resources. Plenty of internal opportunities for advancement at the individual contributor level. Compensation is quite good.

Cons

Very poor culture. Almost all management are internal promotions for individuals who have been with the company for many years. Little to no fresh perspective is welcome from the outside and the culture is akin to a 1980s production factory which not coincidentally is when the company got its start. Employees are recognized for time of service and long hours as much or more than their performance. Work/Life balance is not encouraged and it is never acceptable to prioritize your family life over work (like leaving an hour early to see a child's play at school). All employees must "badge in" including salaried employees, being 15 minutes late will show up on your annual review which is quite silly for a salaried employee 2010 where performance should be the metric. Working remotely is not allowed. Employees are treated as expendable and individual contributions are expected to fit into the system at every turn, there is little to no change to drive improvements or demonstrate unique skill sets. You are very much a cog in the wheel as they say.... Very unhealthy corporate environment.

Bring in some outside perspectives at the management and executive level. Recognize that your employee base if your lifeblood. Update your management methodologies by 20+ years.

Good old boys club

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Manassas, VA

I worked at Micron Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Long weekends if you work in the fab. Makes it easy to plan trips out of town. Good first job for fresh college grads.

Cons

You don't move up if you aren't a part of the good old boys club. There's a lot of micromanaging.

Please trust your employees and stop micromanaging. Promote your people more often so they have a reason to stay.

good

I have been working at Micron Technology

Pros

flexible hours, good people, global exposure

Cons

slow growth, lower level employees not aware of company strategy

Good company to start career

I have been working at Micron Technology

Pros

Work on cutting edge technology

Cons

Not much recognition, career growth is really slow

Don't do it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Micron Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great PTO plan but that is about it sorry to say.

Cons

Without a doubt the worst place I have ever worked. Management is left over want to be's from Boise. If they're not, they are poor substitutes for any real managers. One of them actually had the whole shift go to human resources over him. They actually moved him to another shift demoting one of their best leads who was not from Boise.They micro manage people in the worst way. This is why we call it Micron micro management corporation. I was never so happy as to leave this company and all my coworkers were wishing they could leave too. With the exception of a few of course, the ones that back stab and make sure you look bad to make them you look good is what they relish the most. They actually use your coworkers to rate you for promotions so if you don't get a good peer review they deny you any promotions which is the only way you get a raise money wise. If one gives you a bad peer review you can get even by giving them a bad review to get even. They can't even have the courage to deny promotions on their own which makes them cowards in my option. I hope the best for my ex-coworkers but I don't see any real happy future for them and the sorry thing is they know it.

Go back and take your management classes and pay attention this time!!!

Worked for Micron Technology? Contribute to the Community!