Microsoft

3.6 7,032 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,032 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Technical evangelist

Technical Evangelist (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat organization, team and people. One of the best positions you can have in MS. It combines both technical and strategic skills.

ConsOnce in TE position, it is often said that it is difficult to move to other positions in the company, however, even if the number isn't as high as in other segments, many did.

Great

Exchange Support (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work schedule, great people, decent pay and fun environment, lots to learn

Consfast paced, be weary of contractor managers. They need to prove themselves so they may get out of line from time to time.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't be so stuck up, help others develop. help them grow. Teach!. you are the creator of Windows OS!!. Teach your fellow minions.

Great employer (depending on the group), but needs to become a design company

User Experience Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent pay and great benefits
Great work life balance (If you're in the right division)
World class minds to work with
Global impact on millions of users
Growing design focus

ConsStuck in a software engineering mentality v. a software *design* mentality (i.e. too much power in the hands of senior developers and program managers, not enough in the hands of designers)
Slow to change and react to the industry
Often has trouble focusing on a user base and instead tries to be everything to everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementIt'll hurt to take power away from devs and PMs, but focus on building up your design core to build better experiences for everyone.

Program Manager

I worked at Microsoft

ProsWork-life balance, growth, medical benefits, culture, employees

Constraining, bonus, missing customer focus, missing business goals and strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter trainings to be provided to all

Short Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat resume builder
work with smart people
Great to see what the internal projects are
Although the work I was doing wasn't ground breaking, the fact that I got the support and the feedback from various people was great.

Consdifferent portions of the company work in a silo. I wish there was more interaction between groups

software design engineer on windows team

I worked at Microsoft full-time

Prosmicrosoft has tons of resources at your disposal. it's a great place to start your career in software engineering. you get to build a solid engineering foundation.

Consyou are limited to just the microsoft stack. its very hard to get explore other technologies while you are there.

planning

I have been working at Microsoft

Proscompensation, location, people, team, friends

Consstrategy, focus, leadership, decision making

Awesome!

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

ProsReally talented, ambitious and driven co-workers - you get to work with the best!
Great compensation.
Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber.
Our new companies values and strategy is awesome!!

ConsWe are less agile than we need to be but Senior Leadership is aware of this and as a company we are working on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job!

Software Giant but not an Elephant

Software Design Engineer In Test - II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMicrosoft is surely the largest software company in terms of diversity of products it makes money from. Unlike most of the competitors, its income is not primarily coming from one source but from many sources such as OS, Online Business, Enterprise etc. etc. It's very hard to shake such a well established company with a few very strong competitors. Even if Microsoft starts losing money in one business, it will still have a lot of income from other businesses which will give Microsoft enough time and flexibility to catch up with the competitors.

ConsMost product teams are too large, therefore it's very hard to learn all aspects of the product in a short amount of time when you join a team. It usually takes at least a couple years to get comfortable with the overall product, in best case.

Advice to Senior ManagementI find recent re-orgs very well planned and on the target. Please preserve your new focus on cloud & mobile businesses and encourage all teams for more innovation.

Amazing

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

ProsGreat culture, training and benefits

ConsPromotions hard to come by, time off policies are a hassle and leadership can be a bit vague

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better promotions, more time off, and be more clear in leadership

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,032 reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.