Microsoft

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 7,563 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 675 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 886 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 474 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 367 reviews)

7,563 Employee Reviews

Awesome place--best of my career

Director (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsFocus and mission are newly energized. The people are incredibly talented and strive to create value.

ConsManagement structure not the best to enable people to take risk.

Great Starting Pad for Competitive people

Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

Pros- Great 401K, Stock Options
    - Health Benefits are Still Amazing
    - Lots of Perks and Learning Opportunities

Cons- Lost in Numbers
    - Expectation to be "Microsoft Fanboys and girls"

Advice to Senior Management- Try to encourage creativity and new ideas as much as current goals

Great

ProsYou can make a big impact on the world. Work with smart people. Microsoft has a good company culture. Benefits and salaries are good.

ConsCompany is going through a lot of changes. Depending on where you are there are lot of reorgs. Usual big company problems. Difficult to make radical changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscuss long term organizational goals with employees so they have a clear understanding of how their current work connects not only with current and especially future deliverables.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Microsoft is a great company to work for if you enjoy working on large, complex, impactful projects.

Architect (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsMicrosoft is a company that takes on numerous big challenges. If you are highly motivated and like the big spotlight this is a great company. Microsoft also has extremely diverse employment opportunities. Movement to different positions seems to be encouraged, which is great because if you desire a career change, you can likely find it within Microsoft.

ConsManagement is often out of touch and tends to make poor decisions as a result. Microsoft is a large company and there are organizations within that suffer from poor morale due to bad management.

Good place to work. Good job amenities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree drinks. Sometimes free food. During swamped days those v8s and free cups of soup came in handy when i didnt have time to go to the cafe.

Management was easy to speak with. Almost anyone gave advice if you asked.

ConsFood selection not as good as other locations.
    Training was everywhere but hard to get to. In most cases everything was learn as you go not you might need to know this.

Pay is good. Performance Review System is crappy

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsNice people to work with.
    Salaries are competitive.
    Problem space is great.

ConsThey always keep scaring you about performance, instead of giving freedom to work and nurture progress and efficiency of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't always think about growing in your career at the expense of other people. You will only stress people out, but not bring the best out of the person, and at end of day it wont be rewarding for you as well.

Great company under the right manager

Program Manager (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

Prosbright people, benefits, serious about company values, global diversity, software discounts

Conscan have long hours, promotions, managers managing that should not be managers, eliminate forced stack ranking

Advice to Senior Managementfollow through on promotions despite what reorgs happen

great job, great experience - be prepared to work hard

Staffing Associate (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

Prosgreat experience from a professional/career aspect - looks good on your resume. I worked alongside some amazing people. Learned a lot in a very short period of time.

Consthe drama, the politics, managers don't listen to the lower echelon- then when it goes sideways as we've been telling them it would they act shocked.

Advice to Senior Managementget over yourselves

Good

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsPerfect place to stay with. Have lot's of talent people. Projects are fun. People are nice. Take time to improve yourself.

ConsFor some department it's hard to compete with other head company. There are so many employee here some decisions are difficult to make.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanging is good.

perfect balance, requires self motivation to succeed , there wont be much pressure otherwise

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II (Current Employee)

Pros1) Work life balance
    2) Managers listen to you and trust you
    3) Flexible work hours

Cons1) you may be lost if you are not self motivated
    2) There is not enough people interaction

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!