Microsoft

Microsoft Reviews in Irving, TX

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 675 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 886 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 474 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 367 reviews)

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best Place Ever!

Support Engineer (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThe place is a work place like no other. You are almost your own boss. The management trusts you, just do not ruin this. They want you to be the best that you can be at everything and give you so much to assist you in this

ConsWish I did not have to move to a place where MS was not at.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be a bit more hands on and a bit more with the accolades for employees that do well.

Microsoft Online Store Support

Microsoft Online Store Support (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsIt's Microsoft, it opens doors and gets you into any company. Just with your background, you can be the guy who refills the toilet paper and red velvet ropes open up on other opportunities.

ConsBad pay, bad management, work overtime without being compensated. I ended up working here for several months often trying to keep up with the work and when I put in my hours I would only be paid for 40. No one wants to work this job while being told the pay rate should be versus what your actually being compensated for.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was taught how to do the work but never felt like an employee, the culture isn't as inclusive as it seems, I would often sign up for community campus events and would be asked to do others work making it impossible to go. Participation in training events for
    Skydrive, excel and other lync meetings were frowned upon even if you did it on your own time. No real feedback, the most feedback I received was for another department I shadowed trying to get out of where I was working, other managers were much more responsive and friendly than my own. Trying to talk to my manager I always got the why the hell aren't you working speech even if it was before my shift.

Overall, great experience

Premier Field Engineer (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsCutting Edge tech and loads of training!

ConsReview system is not conducive to growth. Direct competition with peers breeds, dishonesty and conflict.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people for what they accomplish. Not for what others perceive as accomplishment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It will take years to remove vestiges of the now-gone stack ranked HR bureaucracy

Escalation Engineer (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsTechnological immersion - constant new technology. Stack ranking is now gone.

ConsHR's idiotic and stifling stack ranking (or curve fitting) of employees is now _supposedly_ gone (as part of the "One Microsoft" reorganization). I fear the bureaucratic and myopic HR remains It will take years for HR's poison to be cleaned out of Microsoft. Due to stack ranking, there are now thousands of technically shallow and dispassionate managers tucked away.

I must wonder whether HR employees were held responsible for their years of employee abuse (it appears not). Over the years, HR trained MS employees well: You were to climb on the backs of your fellow employees, you must avoid working with those who are "better", you were to work according to the metrics your manager imposed (which were frequently idiotic ones, not much better than a "lines of code" metric), and you were to transfer anywhere else, as quickly as possible (so that you stay 'fresh', in your manager's eye).

Prior to the reorg, the head of Sales & Support required Sales training upon all, required no Support training, and completely misunderstood the purpose of Support (he apparently thought Support was suppose to make sales pitches). With Sales and Support now supposedly split up (per "One Microsoft"), perhaps such damaging behavior has been limited to just "one" of the many Microsoft divisions..

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to be quartered. The money spent on glossy HR brochures and over-produced internal sales videos should be replaced with more morale events. Contracting and outsourcing need to be quartered - think more about employee & customer loyalty, and less about your stock holders' short term bottom line.

Show and advertise to each country that you care about it, by ensuring each country is only supported by its citizens. Recognize individual employees by offering individual bonuses - ones that are not tied to any of the many "One Microsoft" performance metrics. Remember what Mark Twain wrote about statistics/metrics.

Reduce the deepest levels of management by 50%. Foster more employee & customer feedback, through _fewer_ levels of management. Start listening more to the _variety_ of your customers. Recognize your marketS: What what youths want is not going to align with what a CIO wants, and individually tailor solutions. Remember that Windows started personal (and _then_ went corporate). Avoid the "one Microsoft size fits all Microsoft customers" gutter (e.g. Windows 8).

Acknowledge by actions when (individual and) team metrics are not perfect, - e.g. selectively override some of the lower bonuses when they are due to one year's poor "metrics". Be far more terse in your emails: The higher up in Microsoft management one is, the longer the emails have been, but your employees become spammed (each manger is trying to outdo another in email length), jaded, or overwhelmed.

Great experience!

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThey promote within based on performance. Once in a lifetime experience. Very fun environment.

Consstack ranking. Someone had to lose whether or not they were a good contributor. You were ranked on the bell curve. Outsourcing to India was a huge mistake. The customers and support greatly disliked have to deal with India.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring a lot of the outsourcing back to the United States. The morale of the employees will skyrocket and consumers will finally give Microsoft kudos. It would be an extremely positive move.

Great Learning Experience

Program Manager (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsUsed to be they had GREAT insurance, but that changed in 2013. At least they do still offer a pretty good health insurance policy.

ConsNO loyalty to hard workers, but they expect you to pledge your life to them.
    Unless you live in Redmond, don't expect many opportunities. They "say" they are open to other U.S. locations, but their actions speak volumes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking the talk about being open to workers in TX & NC and start walking the walk!!

An

Senior Premier Field Engineer (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGreat benefits and an opportunity to make a difference. Working with fortune 500 Companies. Successful in the business space.

ConsPerformance evaluation (stack ranking) encourages internal competition. It demoralizes employees, discourages helping each other and is sinking the Company. Company is too slow to move in technologies, such as phone and devices, for example.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the stack ranking as soon as you can.Since Steve Balmer is leaving, find external talent to replace him, Lisa and Kevin at a minimum.

Worked with brilliant network engineers

Senior Escalation Engineer (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsI worked with the top escalation engineers in the GES group for network support. I had the privilege of working with the best and the brightest in Los Colinas, TX and as a contractor for 9 months before Microsoft had it's biggest across-the-board layoff in company history (5%) and all contractors were cut loose. During that time, I worked and resolved many critica customer issues and kept customers quite happy.

ConsNone. I would work there again if unemployed and asked to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on. Really enjoyed the group doing a team fun thing once per month and it took a lot of courage for me to play guitar hero for the first time in my life at one of those events -- but wow, I sure got into it once I was encouraged to try it out.

Mostly good, learned a ton and furthered my career. However, times have changed and you must be vigilant.

Techninal Account Manager (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsLearned many products, and worked with more than 25 Fortune 500 companies during my tenure. Nothing prepares you for a product like supporting it, and access to the internal tools and products really gives you a heads up. You can move into many different areas of the company and travel to customers. Support for learning and certification.

ConsYou are stack ranked against your peers, and even doing your job is not enough these days. I was recently let go for "performance" when I had met all of my goals. I grew my accounts by over 30% this last year, and had great customer feedback. However, according to mgmt., I was still below my peers, and received a terrible review without a lot of concrete data to back it up. They are hiring a lot of people straight out of college, and replacing people like me who had over 15 years with the company. Outperforming your peers may also not be enough, you must have good relationships with mgmt. to excel.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have seen over 50 friends of mine be managed out of the company, or fired for similar "performance" issues as mine. It will erode the foundation of the company in my opinion and while I realize Microsoft is a business, and that bringing younger cheaper employees in is good for the bottom-line now, it will mean the experience which Microsoft brought to the table will be diluted, and customers will start to figure this out over the years. Some already have.

9 years at ms

Senior Support Escalation Engineer (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsTop talent in the world! Continual learning.

ConsHorrible stack rank / review process.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop firing your tenured talent.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!