Microsoft Reviews

1,691 Ratings

1. Overall perception

Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Resources for career development are phenomenal .

Cons

Is really big.!! You must create your internal network and really be persistent to be recognized

2. Supply chain planner and business analyst

Current Employee - Supply Chain Planner in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Planner in Irving, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great challenges ahead. Freedom to propose new processes and ways of working

Cons

Silo management. Needs a better strategy coordination. There are actions ongoing but will be seen in the mid term since there are several areas to align

3. Amazing colleagues to work with but company lacks direction

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, very smart colleagues, great hardware and software to work on, great pay, seniors and managers are very good to their teams

Cons

Company has no direction currently, massive layoffs because constant corporate change in direction, one day emphasis is on hardware and a month later a silky suit decides that MSFT is a software company only so workers either get laid off or their responsibilities take a 180 degree turn. I was a victim to this lack of leadership and direction

MSFT has a group of the most intelligent and loyal workers(at least in the depts. where I worked or had to work with), the company needs a direction and identity that doesn't change every time the wind blows. This constant identity crisis breeds complacency and causes employees to feel lost. Because there is this constant change in responsibility, the strongest talents that your employees have get lost in the shuffle of departments and responsibilities

5. VERY STRESSFUL - Not worth it

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot by force and stress. They put you through the fire and the obvious is that you grow thick skin to stress and you are force to learn quickly. After a year it prepared me to run out of there and get a good job.

Cons

They do not train, they over work you, which you end up working like 55 hours. They add so much responsibility and its all about backstabbing politics in order to keep your job. If you get to an interview, I would recommend asking a lot of questions! They say they pay you good but in reality if you are working 60 hours, you do the math.

There is really no cure for the whole issue.

USED to be "Best Company to Work For", not ANY MORE.... Now #86 in 2014. Sad, sad, SAD...

Former Employee - Principal Escalation Engineer (Remote Site - Texas) in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits such as medical/vision/dental are still better than industry. Bonuses and stock options are still better as well.

Cons

Microsoft management does not have an ounce of moral fiber. Instead letting people go as RIF, they putting them through the psychological beat down and humiliation of being "Managed Out" so they don't have to pay any severance package!

They are slowly working their way down the list and I'll be very surprised if they're not #100 by end of 2015.

Management and HR need to treat people as human being. They've become as bad or worse than all big the other major corporation. The bigger they are, the greedier they get when they're at the top and the working class employee keeps getting trampled on.

7. Free drinks.

Former Contractor - Xbox Escalations Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Xbox Escalations Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was great, managers were lenient with time off, drinks were free, and co-workers were fun.

Cons

Healthcare benefits sucked, no paid time off, switched between lines of business with little or no warning, contractors are laid off on a daily basis.

Learn how to budget your contractors without over hiring then over firing.

8. Microsoft Online Store Support

Former Employee - Microsoft Online Store Support in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Microsoft Online Store Support in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's Microsoft, it opens doors and gets you into any company. Just with your background, you can be the guy who refills the toilet paper and red velvet ropes open up on other opportunities.

Cons

Bad pay, bad management, work overtime without being compensated. I ended up working here for several months often trying to keep up with the work and when I put in my hours I would only be paid for 40. No one wants to work this job while being told the pay rate should be versus what your actually being compensated for.

I was taught how to do the work but never felt like an employee, the culture isn't as inclusive as it seems, I would often sign up for community campus events and would be asked to do others work making it impossible to go. Participation in training events for
    Skydrive, excel and other lync meetings were frowned upon even if you did it on your own time. No real feedback, the most feedback I received was for another department I shadowed trying to get out of where I was working, other managers were much more responsive and friendly than my own. Trying to talk to my manager I always got the why the hell aren't you working speech even if it was before my shift.

9. Best Place Ever!

Former Contractor - Support Engineer in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Support Engineer in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The place is a work place like no other. You are almost your own boss. The management trusts you, just do not ruin this. They want you to be the best that you can be at everything and give you so much to assist you in this

Cons

Wish I did not have to move to a place where MS was not at.

Just be a bit more hands on and a bit more with the accolades for employees that do well.

10. Overall, great experience

Former Employee - Premier Field Engineer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Premier Field Engineer in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cutting Edge tech and loads of training!

Cons

Review system is not conducive to growth. Direct competition with peers breeds, dishonesty and conflict.

Reward people for what they accomplish. Not for what others perceive as accomplishment

It will take years to remove vestiges of the now-gone stack ranked HR bureaucracy

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in Irving, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Technological immersion - constant new technology. Stack ranking is now gone.

Cons

HR's idiotic and stifling stack ranking (or curve fitting) of employees is now _supposedly_ gone (as part of the "One Microsoft" reorganization). I fear the bureaucratic and myopic HR remains It will take years for HR's poison to be cleaned out of Microsoft. Due to stack ranking, there are now thousands of technically shallow and dispassionate managers tucked away.

I must wonder whether HR employees were held responsible for their years of employee abuse (it appears not). Over the years, HR trained MS employees well: You were to climb on the backs of your fellow employees, you must avoid working with those who are "better", you were to work according to the metrics your manager imposed (which were frequently idiotic ones, not much better than a "lines of code" metric), and you were to transfer anywhere else, as quickly as possible (so that you stay 'fresh', in your manager's eye).

Prior to the reorg, the head of Sales & Support required Sales training upon all, required no Support training, and completely misunderstood the purpose of Support (he apparently thought Support was suppose to make sales pitches). With Sales and Support now supposedly split up (per "One Microsoft"), perhaps such damaging behavior has been limited to just "one" of the many Microsoft divisions..

HR needs to be quartered. The money spent on glossy HR brochures and over-produced internal sales videos should be replaced with more morale events. Contracting and outsourcing need to be quartered - think more about employee & customer loyalty, and less about your stock holders' short term bottom line.

Show and advertise to each country that you care about it, by ensuring each country is only supported by its citizens. Recognize individual employees by offering individual bonuses - ones that are not tied to any of the many "One Microsoft" performance metrics. Remember what Mark Twain wrote about statistics/metrics.

Reduce the deepest levels of management by 50%. Foster more employee & customer feedback, through _fewer_ levels of management. Start listening more to the _variety_ of your customers. Recognize your marketS: What what youths want is not going to align with what a CIO wants, and individually tailor solutions. Remember that Windows started personal (and _then_ went corporate). Avoid the "one Microsoft size fits all Microsoft customers" gutter (e.g. Windows 8).

Acknowledge by actions when (individual and) team metrics are not perfect, - e.g. selectively override some of the lower bonuses when they are due to one year's poor "metrics". Be far more terse in your emails: The higher up in Microsoft management one is, the longer the emails have been, but your employees become spammed (each manger is trying to outdo another in email length), jaded, or overwhelmed.