Microsoft

Microsoft Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 675 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 886 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 474 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 367 reviews)

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good memory

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prossalary is good. abundant of resource. co-works are friendly knowing lots of talents and having fun on discussion and co-work with them.
    good place to learn and grow.

Consover loaded and overwork in midnight, bad in communication between departments.
    hard to find balance of live and qualify of living

Depending entirely on the team and organization

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsOne of the best benefits and perks; great work-life balance; great pay.

ConsInternal transfer is a pain, and unfair; different org, teams, have different politics that make some teams great, some horrible. Same goes for promotion and pay, totally depending on the org and team.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider fair compensation across same level for a particular region, regardless of new hire or internal transfer. Need to exemplify individual greatness, do not waste talent on busy-work that undermine a person's skills.

White Male Dominated Very White Company

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou have exposure to the latest technical computer software. Variety of assignments.

ConsWhite male dominated company. No opportunities for other non-white. Old school boy attitude. They hire you only if they can use you to get an assignment. They really dont value your experience or skills. Only concerned about getting an assignment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very political, but also full of very great people and opportunities.

Product Advisor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat benefits, pay and supportive culture

ConsPolitics can get the better of you sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing the One Microsoft initiative. Fight for your retail side, and figure out how to dovetail it with the LARS it competes with.

Rewarding to a certain extend, then getting paid as low as we do gets old and frustrating.

Product Advisor (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsStrong team oriented environment. You will learn a lot of important skills working at the Microsoft Store.

ConsMost of the management is not hired within which makes it extremely frustrating and demotivating to entry level sales associates.
    No commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd a commission structure. Hire within. That is all.

Great place to work just needs some modifications

Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis is a very inclusive and rewarding place to work. Great benefits and positive direction of the company.

ConsEmployee calibration model creates negative behavior and squashes creativity/innovation. Often feel like you are pitted against your peers to rank a good performance review since you are calibrated against peers.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the current calibration model to cultivate creativity and innovation.

talented people

Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosi worked with very good people

Consthe food is a bit over-rated

It's not the Microsoft of yesteryear

Tech Sales (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat challenges, great people to work with. Pay can be very good depending on your skillset.

ConsManagers mange thru fear of the review system. Competition is sometimes good to improve professionally, Unfortunately MS takes it to extremes and pits worker versus worker and in doing so can really harm team dynamics. Hard to work when you looking over your shoulder for the guy about to stab you. Work life balance in sales is all hot air.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the review system and allow lower end managers to actually do something useful. Trust your people.

Microsoft Retail - Great Company to work for.

Product Advisor (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsExcellent benefits, they treat you very well. Positions within the Microsoft Retail stores are fairly simple. High standards, Clean environment. Great bonuses/gifts for all employees. Great training.

ConsBecause the retail side of Microsoft is still fairly new, it can get frustrating with new implements and non consistencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to increase communication with everyone as much as possible.

Changed a lot in 10 years

Account Executive (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsPay is decent and you have an "in" with every company...for good or bad.

ConsStack ranking has killed morale and teamwork. This has also hurt the focus on the customer and turned everyone internally to focus on office politics and your internal review. Medical benefits have been cut and that used to be a great draw. Always in the 'walled garden' or defend mode against the rest of the tech world.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the review process so people focus on workign together instead of seeing everyone as a threat. Innovate faster and get out of chase mode. Definitly need changes at the top.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!