Microsoft

Microsoft Reviews in Mountain View, CA

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights
150 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Microsoft is an Excellent Employer.

Test Lead II (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsWhatever be the outside impression of Microsoft, I should admit Microsoft treated me very well as its employee. I was very happy with the several perks, matching programs, review processes, training sessions, health insurance etc etc. Microsoft matches up to 12,000 dollars for out contributions to any non-profit organizations. HSA program is the best in the Bay Area.

ConsYou will be stuck at using mostly Microsoft internal tools. Opensource and latest technology in the market will be hard to use.

Decent pay and excellent benefits

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPay and benefits are very good.
    Have vast educational resources to enhance your tech knowledge

ConsFavoritism
    work life balance was not there
    changing schedules all the time
    senior mgmt did not know what they were doing

A Dying Company

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere isn't a lot. The overall package is perhaps a little over market. The health insurance used to be excellent, but has since been abandoned.

ConsThis company has failed in almost every way it could. With its stack ranking system it aggressively pitted its own people against each other and wholly sacrificed any software company's most critical asset - cooperation. Amazingly, in their greed to squeeze out more productivity, senior management failed to predict that this would happen. This is supposedly a company of exceptionally bright people, and yet management could not predict something as obvious as that? Along with cooperation, they lost morale, enthusiasm, innovation and team spirit. Working for Microsoft is like being in the Mafia, where every team and every individual is looking to take each other out. This is a verbatim quote from my former manager: "When you talk to someone from {Team X}, smile, but hold a knife behind your back". Those two teams, which needed to work closely together to achieve any modicum of success, were locked in an epic WAR which was dysfunctional, ultimately laughable, and most of all *typical* at Microsoft. Neither side shared an ounce of information about their system, critically needed for the other side to integrate their software into, and the result was an execution failure as absolute as the disregard for the final product that each contributor shared. Like a Big Brother-style reality TV series, Microsoft brings out the worst in people, and not surprisingly, in the software they need to produce as a team. Also, do not think that you will be able to innovate at Microsoft. They talk (read: lie) a big game about innovation, but the fate of new ideas is that they take a long (several years), winding and highly political campaign path and ultimately always end in the trash bin. Unless, of course, Google releases the same idea in the meantime, then there might be a chance. Why? Because Microsoft does not innovate. It never has. Its MO is "embrace and extend". Wait for others to invent, copy the successful inventions with more resources, and try to steal those inventions away from others. The other great failure of this company was not to recognize that that model could only have success in the slow-moving 20th century. I remember being brought into an all-hands meeting where it was explained to us that we need not worry about Google's acquisition of YouTube. Now that we've seen its success, we were told that Microsoft was going to come into the market second and trounce the competition, as it always does, with its new product "MSN Soapbox". Yea, OK. Has anyone ever heard of that? If you work at Microsoft, you will be told that they want you to innovate, but it is literally only an internal propaganda campaign. Lying to the troops ultimately does not inspire them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy primary advice to senior management is this: If you have been there during the bulk of the company's "lost decade" then you should resign - in shame. How does a company that dominates the market of software, with a billion in revenue and hundreds of millions in the bank, that owns the OS of 90% of computers on earth, with a solid grasp on the hearts and minds of computer enthusiasts worldwide, coming into the 21st century in which the synergy of computers and the internet are about to create a new technical revolution even bigger than the last - the industrial revolution, lose all of that, and barely register a blip next to the century's new giants Google, Apple, Amazon and Facebook? It isn't easy. It takes so much more than severe incompetence. It takes a profound human failure. It takes the conscious choice of greed over vision, of profit over your people, of internal competition over cooperation, of theft over innovation, of lying over being candid with your employees and the outside world. After the Vanity Fair article "How Microsoft Lost its Mojo" exposed the failure of the stack ranking system, Microsoft officially abandoned it. Forgetting for a moment what it says about the caliber of senior management that it takes its advice from Vanity Fair, it was a good move. They really should have come up with that on their own. But it is too little too late. The damage has been done. If you are newly-employed management and you genuinely want to change things, then place cooperation and true innovation at the core of your values, and it is possible that Microsoft will escape the fate of IBM, whose PE ratio incidentally hovers right around that of Microsoft's today.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting future for the company

Developer Evangelist (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGood work environment, get to play with latest in tech, feel like you're making a difference.

ConsCorporate doesn't always understand what goes on in the field.

Great place to work

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat work/life balance, and great compensation and benefits.

ConsToo many processes hampers agility and causes many teams to release code at a pace that's considerably slower than our competitors.

Great place to learn

Product Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsLots of talented people to learn from and great training programs for college hires. Excellent company to learn product management. Ideal work/life balance.

ConsVery risk averse, and a culture of "I" and not "we". Also, a culture of doing 80% or 90% instead of 100%.

Stay away from the Microserf Brainfarm

Senior Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Free drinks
    - Reasonably good benefits (Although these are being eroded now)
    - Can attend training courses (If you ever find available time to do it)

Cons- This is a burn and churn environment. The culture is one in which they want to work you 24x7 schedule and criticize or reprimand many on the most tiniest things. The repressive culture will erase any professional confidence you have over time.

Advice to Senior Management- Managers here are out for themselves and not their employees so I have no advice.

Reinvention in process!!

Business Development Director (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat company; Think of something in tech, and there's an opportunity here for you. New energy in company as it embraces cloud. Firing on all cylinders!! The company mints cash!

ConsYou have to be in Redmond to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of non-technical, middle managers who are trying to build personal kingdoms and just want to have a shiny title and collect a sizeable paycheck.

Senior S/W engineer

Senior Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Smart people around
    - Good life & work balance
    - Good work environment

Cons- Better to work on core business
    - Hard to get focus for other skill except s/w writing (ex: media)
    - Very frequent manager/org change

One Microsoft

Principal Development Lead (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGood benefits, good growth opportunities for junior devs, management here to help. Work life balance respected most of the time

ConsMountain View location has limited opportunities when it comes to diversity of projects and management of larger projects (no growth for managers, need to move to Redmond). Company keeps aiming at past trends instead of creating new ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove more products to Mountain View, both small and big. Take advantage of the Valley by promoting innovation (Google has 20%, Microsoft doesn't have an equivalent in Mountain View)

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!