Microsoft

8,788 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,348 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 859 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 552 reviews)

• Performance review system basically encourage competition inside the team (in 400 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Senior Program Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Great work life balance and compensation

abcd

Security of big company but tough culture

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and you have big corporation stability. There is slow pace so you don't have to be stressed about doing things fast.

Cons

There is a lot of internal politics and consolidation of power. If you are not in the circle and play the politics game you will have difficult times.

Be more transparent and reduce the middle management layer.

This is one of the best places to work, hands down.

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Microsoft part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits at every level of the company. Real ethics and integrity. Great support for the employee and the well being of the customer. It's not a soul-sucking money-grubbing hellhole.

Cons

Policies are very strict, and it takes a while to get to know all the rules and lingo, but that's the only real issue. That and fanatics of other tech companies will never stop giving you crap about your company.

Keep at it. You're doing a wonderful job keeping your employees happy.

Stupid management from top-down

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary was ok for the area. Health benefits were great with 100% medical coverage plans. There is the opportunity for corporate training and career advancement.

Cons

The company culture seems "stupid". Management ignored problems pushed up from the bottom rungs and even the managers at the lower rungs would hide problems under the rug rather than escalate. Everyone in management was purely focused on hitting their "milestones", rather than ensuring major bugs and problems got fixed. Team leaders pushed employees to simply do as told rather than innovate. Also, upper management pushed "pet projects and features" into products that clearly would gain nothing from adding those features, other than to help someone get promoted for getting his/her feature into the market. It was like working in a Dilbert cartoon strip. Poor decisions are made, engineers try to deliver, critics are silenced and ignored, all the engineers see the train wreck coming, then it happens. upper managers gets promoted for hitting deadlines, the product fails in the market, engineers are punished with bad reviews and quit. Repeat.

If you want to build great innovative products rather than live off the old MS Office backbone, don't saddle engineers with idiotic policies, like forcing everyone to use a PC instead of Macs. You don't make improvements by eating your own dog food and ignoring the better food out there. Hold leaders accountable for poor quality and prioritize it over hitting deadlines.

Being SDET at Microsoft

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary compensation, nice bonus system, great medical insurance coverage, nice place to work in terms of both office space and people you're working with.

Cons

Long decision making periods, inflexibility and too much of conservativeness when it comes to add something new to the process.

More fresh blood and flexibility would let us achieve more in the same amount of time.

Inconsistent leadership standards = consistent frustration.

Former Employee - Technical/Service Advisor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Technical/Service Advisor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young team with a lot of energy and benefits even at part-time employment status.

You get to play Xbox on the sales floor at times.

Stores opening rapidly so theres lots of opportunity to grow and move around.

Cons

Leadership team requests that staff acts like nothings wrong when corporate reps come in for store visits.

Lots of favoritism.

High turnover.

Having a consistent message from the Store Manger down to the part-time employees. Less micromanaging.

I was with the company for just under 2 years and it was amazing to see the company flourish and come into it's own. Stores were opening left and right so there's lots of opportunity. When employees ask to be trained or want to learn other aspects of the business, they should be given those opportunities. I would ask to learn the second part to my role as a Technical Advisor but would never get the opportunity to do so. So when it came time to want to move to another store or get promoted. The feedback I would get would be "needs to spend more time in his current role." I got another job opportunity with a more set schedule and would push me and teach me new skills. I felt as if I hit the glass ceiling in my role at that store.

I would advise that leadership should actually develop action plans for your employees to grow and get to the role or place they want to be and stick to it. Check in with them at 2 weeks, a month and so on.

good place to work

Current Employee - Product Advisor in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Product Advisor in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun environment, very different then most retail stores I have worked for, always in the know about what is going on, what sales were like the day before.

Cons

pay could be better since there is no commission, weekends are hectic lots of kids running around.

good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

It had good ambience, work culture. One shoudl should after the software learning new things all the time.
    can learn many things

Cons

It depends on the team you work. Tight deadlines. Learning curve is more but with no time. Only the outstanding are recognised

Great company to stay put in this economy

Former Employee - Network Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Network Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Great company and great people, great products. It pays well. Safe place to stay put and learn in these tough times. They have broad range of products that you one can choose and learn. Great career growth opportunities. Family friendly atmosphere. They are technically innovative company with eagerness to invest in newer markets either organically or through acquisition. Very professionally managed place.

Cons

Big company atmosphere is stifling innovation

Focus on innovation

Microsoft has unbelievable assets and if they use them properly could launch much better products.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Pay and benefits are fantastic as well as the tools provided.

Cons

Politics run deep and in my division, there is little communication from Senior management.

Let employees know what the decisions strategy is