Microsoft

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.5 3,113 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 675 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 886 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 474 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 367 reviews)

3,115 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging and satisfying

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsChallenging, flexibility and respect for work styles.
    Good place to work for and has great benefits.

ConsCulture is aggressive and sometimes destructive. People don't help each other, but that is slowly changing with the new ways of the review system. Will take time but there is hope.

Great Starting Pad for Competitive people

Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

Pros- Great 401K, Stock Options
    - Health Benefits are Still Amazing
    - Lots of Perks and Learning Opportunities

Cons- Lost in Numbers
    - Expectation to be "Microsoft Fanboys and girls"

Advice to Senior Management- Try to encourage creativity and new ideas as much as current goals

Awesome place--best of my career

Director (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsFocus and mission are newly energized. The people are incredibly talented and strive to create value.

ConsManagement structure not the best to enable people to take risk.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great job, great experience - be prepared to work hard

Staffing Associate (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

Prosgreat experience from a professional/career aspect - looks good on your resume. I worked alongside some amazing people. Learned a lot in a very short period of time.

Consthe drama, the politics, managers don't listen to the lower echelon- then when it goes sideways as we've been telling them it would they act shocked.

Advice to Senior Managementget over yourselves

Pay is good. Performance Review System is crappy

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsNice people to work with.
    Salaries are competitive.
    Problem space is great.

ConsThey always keep scaring you about performance, instead of giving freedom to work and nurture progress and efficiency of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't always think about growing in your career at the expense of other people. You will only stress people out, but not bring the best out of the person, and at end of day it wont be rewarding for you as well.

Great company under the right manager

Program Manager (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

Prosbright people, benefits, serious about company values, global diversity, software discounts

Conscan have long hours, promotions, managers managing that should not be managers, eliminate forced stack ranking

Advice to Senior Managementfollow through on promotions despite what reorgs happen

Great experience, but it still comes down to your direct manager.

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsA great place to work on projects and services that will stretch you and provide you great experience.

ConsAt the end of the day leadership of the business owners has to align with the CEO. If it doesn't they need to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere are you going to invest, in the people that do the work for you or shipping features and services?

Software development engineer in test

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsJob security, more work-life balance

Consno clear career growth, difficulty in changing job within the company, slow pace, not many top notch people anymore.

You'll be challenged and you'll learn a lot of new tools!

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsThere are so many great processes and tools to learn every day! You have to be flexible and ready to change direction at a moments notice. The best part is you are always learning something that will advance your skills. The work environment is nice - the hardware is the best around and of course you have all the software you could dream of having at your fingertips!

ConsWork/Life balance can be tough at times - expect overtime to come up and be necessary to get job done. You support a lot of smart people that are under a lot of pressure, so occasionally you will be confronted with abruptness or rudeness that you just need to remember it's not you causing the pain to that individual.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage growth and networking to those that are new or young; keep the meetings on track - follow an agenda.

Poor management/execution

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGreat benefits, good products. There are some great people there, some horrible folks too. Many different products and technologies to chose from.

ConsToo much emphasis on processes and hierarchy. Not a great environment for teamwork. Leadership lacks vision, too afraid to execute on bold ideas, grassroot ideas never gets recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to grassroot. Don't put people against each other and stop rewarding arrogant people who are not teamplayers.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!