Microsoft

3.5 3,087 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

3,087 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hope the new management is better...

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsReasonable compensation, excellent benefits -- never saw a doctor's bill the whole time I worked there. Interesting work.

ConsCrazy, ever-changing, historically hostile management. New CEO *should* change this for the better, but he'll also have to bring vision which has been lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop killing new ideas. HP got to be great in the good old days by not being afraid to bring out new products that endangered old lines. Microsoft could have owned tablet computers and smart phones, but that meant rocking the boat. This is how IBM died.

A good place to work

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsMicrosoft works on solving a broad range of problems so there is a plenty of opportunities inside the company.

ConsAs with any large company, Microsoft has a very bureaucratic environment and internal politics.

SMSGR Group

Technical Analyst II (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsFlexible work location, worked from home.

ConsNo real cons with this position that come to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to Learn and Stretch Yourself

IT Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsI'm always learning new technologies even if it is based on Windows.

ConsToo much micro-management and stepping on others so you can move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementProceed back to the place/time where Microsoft allowed you to work in the way you worked best. Focus on what employees contribute not how they do it. Things seem to be improving but individual contributors do no really own their work except for at review time. The company is still struggling to move beyond a shrink wrapped software company based on Windows to a mobile and online service company. But Satya Nadella does seem to understand the difference and is making excellent changes. I hope he is sucessful because Microsoft still has an enormous amount of potential.

Great place to work and impact the world

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsI had the opportunity to impact billions of people. Only a handful of private companies can give you this kind of impact from your contributions. The pay matches the impact you have in the world.

ConsSome of the organizational structure is miss matched to the financial structure i.e. products get assigned budget that may not be related to revenue. Makes sense for some products but revenue generators should be able to keep more i.e. product leaders have no real incentive in increasing revenue and decreasing cost. Also the new triad model means most things are done by committee.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back product unit managers with P&L responsibility. Reward them for growing revenue and margins.

Great place to learn and grow

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsLots of products to work in and lots of different technologies you can learn and use. There's a lot of very talented people and I'm proud to work with them.

ConsRoles vary from team to team. The test role can be extremely interesting in some parts of the company, while in others it can be not challenging at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't make sense that, having all the data about past performance reviews, you are still required to go through an entire interview loop in order to switch teams.

A good place to build your career.

Redmond, WA

ProsLots of career opportunities. Lots of new technologies. Great flexibility - to work at home when you need to. Most managers will say, "Family first" if there is an issue at home (sick child, parent or spouse). Excellent pay with very good benefits.

ConsVery short-sighted. I have witnessed people working for the company for 15 and 20 years be told on a Wednesday that the coming Friday is their last day. "It's not personal. but just business. You're a great employee and a terrific asset to the company, but...." Manager never looked to see where these people can be placed within the company. It was a waste of intellectual capital and investment in these good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around at the value of your people. If you are needing contractors, plan ahead - don't let these good contractors wait until the last day of the contract before they know they are not renewed or tell them to take a few weeks off until we get new POs to renew you. Management is too short-sighted when it comes to resources. It does not make our partners happy to see the inconsistency and break of support we give to them. The partners never know who is going to be their liaison because Microsoft decides to have a Reduction in Force (RIF). Lack of concern for the partners.

Its an awesome company

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee)

ProsCasual work attire.
    Flexible hours
    recent change in Leadership

ConsAll jobs are situated in WA. Cannot move to other states

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing much

Good company to work for

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsGreat teams full of bright people. Leadership knows what they are doing. Free drinks and discounted lunch is nice to have available every day.

ConsCan be a little bureaucratic, sometimes hard to make progress because there can be a lot of inertia to overcome. Perks and pay are not as good as other companies in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove perks to be more competitive with other companies in the industry.

Awesome - Great Company treats you like family.

Engineer Office (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsGreat work environment. Ability to work on various projects and flexible work schedules.

ConsVery fast paced, sometimes crazily so.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. You've finally heard the employees and their recommendations! Great change of course!

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings in Redmond, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 3,087 reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.