Microsoft

8,619 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,264 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 833 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 975 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 543 reviews)

• Review system that pushes people to look out for themselves instead of being team focused (in 398 reviews)

More Highlights

3,545 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Horrible Company

Current Employee - Senior Solution Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much except for health benefits

Cons

Horrible and incompetent management; company is full of back stabbers, lazy individuals who are very defensive and often shoot down people who try, and full of "YES men" Worst company I have ever worked for in 15 years. Culture is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, the stack rank system (although rebranded) is still alive and well.

board of directors should fire all management and start over. This company has too many issues and keeping the old guard in place or not looking externally for CEO, etc. did not help this company.

boring as hell

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great compensation, lots of perks

Cons

work was dreadful. people i worked with were terrible, lifeless

A Great Place to be a Dev! A Terrible Place to Be a Service Engineer!

Former Employee - Service Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Service Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a blast to work at scale as a Systems Engineer - and chances are, this is as big a scale as you'll ever operate! Managing global scale incidents, and being a part of delivering a really big product is exciting. You will hone some skills here- but just what they are will depend entirely on where you end up.

Cons

I should preface this by saying: Microsoft, like every giant corporation, depends enormously on where you land. If you know the people you'll be working with, it's a GREAT opportunity. I rolled the dice to become an FTE, and that was a huge mistake. There are segments of this company that are 20 years behind the industry.

It's easy to convince yourself that you had an influence- but as a Service Engineer, you won't. Y They'll interview you and ask if you can code. If you can, find another job. Once you're hired, you can expect to NEVER code again- I even had managers get angry with me when I simply checked in fixes to problems myself.
    I was subjected to 9-10 months of constant reorganizations, with almost NO work requested of me during this time. It was maddening. My team was put on death watch for a collection of old services(killed by Nadella, but rightfully so!). So there I was, as a top performer in my level, stuck patrolling a product cemetery while my former product group plowed forward into new and shiny things.
    This is because Microsoft ONLY respects Devs. Not SE's, not Testers, and maybe not even PMs. As an SE your opinion, and your leadership's opinion, will never matter. Unless someone with a developer title agrees with you. The job a Service Engineer is to absorb the technical debt of your development team. I found myself in this job getting paid more than ever, while people expected less than ever of me. It was a depressing, demoralizing year, and I am delighted to be paid more for doing more elsewhere. My resume grew almost none, other than the value of their name.

Either figure out what you want Service Engineers to be, or get rid of the discipline. You have nearly 1500 brilliant people who cannot even transfer internally, because every SE job and team is so unique. You need a systems level perspective if you expect to run services well- cultivate and establish SE as a first class discipline.

It's like the early 90's all over again

Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Some fun and intelligent colleagues. Great compensation package (to try and make up for all the deficiencies).

Cons

Horrible HR practices. I was a Director-level employee and they ended up settling with me so that I would leave quietly without taking my experience to the press. They paid me 6 months of salary and benefits to keep quiet. And all I had to do was agree not to work there for two years.

Horrible place for HW engineer. Don't waste your time in this company if you want to be real engineer

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High salary and Good please for retirement

Cons

Too many program managers, frequent project changes, no creative and challenge for management

Don't waste your time in this company if you want to be engineer instead of being test engineer or project manager. They have money but no outlook, creative and challenge to change the world unlike Apple. Especially if you're young engineer, experience is very limited in this junk company.

Please accept your ignorance and incapability instead of pretending to know anything

Director Infosec Security

Former Employee - Director Infosec Security in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director Infosec Security in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Medical Benefits, Pro Club membership

Cons

High Stress, No Productive environment, too many H-1 visa contractors, barley can speak English, Performance is not the criteria to get ahead, you can screw a major project and still can get promotion, just because you are connected is the way of life at Microsft

Streamlinel H-1 non productive contractors and make it more American Value based company.
    H-1 contractors poor substandard coding shows up in Microsoft products

MSFT no integrity

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BIG, SLOW, Easy and no sense of markets or competition

Cons

BIG, SLOW, Easy and no sense of values or integrirty

Fire your selves

Has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

> Free coffee in the mornings
    > The people here are relatively nice on the surface, i.e. they hide their evil deep inside their shallow souls
    > You get to help Microsoft maintain its nasty monopoly on the desktop computers and push its buggy spyware to its consumers

Cons

> A deep despair associated with taking more from society than you are putting
    > Not being able to sleep at night
    > Constant feelings that your work and career are meaningless
    > Occassional desire to commit suicide

Just stop it. You know what I'm talking about. You don't have to keep being like that.

Senior SDE

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

almost nothing, really nothing good to say

Cons

hostile environment, very bad manager

management are worst

Under no circumstances would I work here again, and I regret the years I put in.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation packages, although very little room for negotiation.
    Intelligent teammates.
    Nice lateral movement across teams with minimal wait time (18 months or less, with manager approval)
    There are some teams that still have private offices, although for most products the open office model might be better.
    401K match up to 6% of salary.
    Health Club.

Cons

The politics at Microsoft are cutthroat and the performance review model based on a graded curve is archaic and contra-indicated for software development, which thrives on collaboration and cooperation. While this ranking system is supposed to have been abolished recently, after 30+ years of its extreme influence as to management promotion and leadership reviews, it is unlikely that this atmosphere of a zero-sum compensation model (there is no winner without a loser), is anything less than entrenched, and, consequently, Microsoft would not be a place to risk years of one's career when there are just as attractive jobs waiting at companies who were of the you-win, we-all-win philosophy from inception.

Do something drastic. For years the opportunities for advancement (or even keeping the status quo) has been limited to one's manager, who were not only fallible, but also, like all humans, capable of pettiness, prejudice, and prejudgements. To imagine otherwise, is to be outrageously arrogant, something Microsofties have been accused of so frequently as to make it almost a byword for the company itself. Shed the image by shedding the management personnel that have been heavily promoted under the system of pushing one's self forward by throwing others under the bus. And enough with the arrogance already. Buy a latte, sign up on GitHub, and join the software revolution. It's lapped you a few times and it's getting ready to do it again.