Microsoft

3,712 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Loved my internship at Microsoft

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work was very exciting and I loved how flexible my team was and the diversity of opportunities presented to us.

Cons

Honestly not too many negatives, maybe just the fact that sometimes obtaining permissions for certain things took forever because of all the hoops you have to jump through.

Best company

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best company for job in the world

Cons

I can't find any cons for this company

Salary should be higher then other

SMSG

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Great opportunity to impact global products and programs. Overall great company and benefits with interesting outlook with new CEO. Exceptional philanthropic culture with opportunity to leverage the power of technology to improve people's lives.

Cons

Little cultural focus given to manager and leader development. Manager experiences a luck of the draw over a "Microsoft" management way.

Stop rewarding leaders and managers who promote a fear-based culture if you wan truth, innovation and transformation.

Years of continual reorg like rearranging deck chairs

Former Employee - SDET2 in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - SDET2 in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid but declining benefits.
    some great core products.
    finally got rid of review numbers, but don't believe that means the stack rank is gone.

Cons

management buying into every stupid trend in the industry from open space offices to getting rid of test/quality.
    this idea that the more test you have the less responsibility dev will have on their code and the more buggy it will be delivered is crazy (so more test == more bugs therefore less test == higher quality). This is the most recent manifestation of what I encountered early in my time at MSFT when as we approached a ship date the quality bar would be redefined so that you were told not to enter any defects short of common crashes.
    same thing with open space, when I started every employee got an office at 110 square feet. then it went to fishbowl glass sliding door office at 65 square feet, then it went to open space in a "six pack" where 6 cube wall divided spaces shared a bay, then they came in and took the dividing walls, then the name plates for the six pack went from 6 name spaces to 12 just in case they wanted to add more folks to the space. Another group put us in a completely open floor with some nonsensical discussion about how open space ("radical colocation") would allow us to cooperate better. open space was so noisy they had to issue us all noise canceling headphones so now I was sitting at a desk staring at my boss in front of me with noise canceling headphones on so that my coworkers could only get my attention by waving their hands or sending me email (didn't exactly foster cooperation).
    review had to fit to a curve, so even if everyone was a rock star someone got screwed on the review (this was explained that it encouraged folks to move around in the company to spread out excellence). the result of getting a non rock star review number was that you could not even get considered for jobs within the company.

Great company to work for...until recently

Former Employee - Princiapl IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Princiapl IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had too many good years at Microsoft IT to give less than four stars. Although with all the recent layoffs, the loss of market share, the pressure of the stakeholders and still no clear vision of the future, it does feel like it will get worse before it gets better. My highlights:

- Great people
    - Great benefits, competitive compensation
    - Great opportunities for personal growth: job responsibilities, training, mentors, etc...

Cons

My lowlights:

- Pressure from stakeholders makes profit go before people
    - MSIT under constant pressure to change with no articulated vision as to what IT should be causes constant reorg churn, org tweaking, role changes, that just changes people from being the main asset to a pion you can just move around
    - Still no vision of the future. Cloud first, mobile first is so large and vague, it means everything and nothing, basically, it means we will go where the market goes instead of where they think it is going and what they want to offer.

To MSIT Management:

- Please develop a vision already, it's been 3+ years.
    - Indecisiveness at the leadership level on how IT should run and be organized just puts the middle management in difficult position. Hard to have career conversations when orgs and roles are in constant churn

Nice career job--great exposure to cool technology--until the layoffs

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary, smart people to work with

Cons

Insular -- if you're not using 100% Microsoft products, you're seen as a traitor, rather than keeping your skills current in the job market

Be proactive about the success of your direct reports

Good experience and culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free drinks, morale events, generally professional and courteous attitudes, high level of talent and professionalism among employees

Cons

24/7 on-call responsibilities for Azure, although rotations are much less frequent than at many web services companies

Microsoft is coming back -- slowly

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a very serious will to change the culture in Microsoft
    Great engineering foundation, and tons of experienced people to learn from

Cons

As the title says, the change is happening but slowly

Don't fight change, embrace it.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Company store, which you probably won't use for your-self, but your friends and relatives would love to take this advantage.
    Only if you have charismatic leader go there.

Cons

it WAS awesome place to work before ~2010. company is struggling now. competition, economy, and poor upper management leadership
    you may never make a good career there. if your team would have 20 members and all would be Nobel Prize geniuses, they all would get "average" on yearly calibration/review, they would never get promotion. To be "strong" you'll need to prove that you over-performed others.
    Stack options are insulting.
    Medical benefits WAS awesome before 2012. Now, if you have family, you have to pay $6500 before insurance start covering 100%.
    If you want to ruin your careers join MS, work 20 years, and get layoff with almost same level as you started.

SICK company. Big layoffs, reforms, and reorganizations are upfront, otherwise it won't survive.

none. they won't hear.

Good for a few years, slow afterwards

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Lots of smart people, close to home, stable company, lots of ongoing investment areas

Cons

Beaurocratic, politics, career development challenges, no-good no-value add middle management

Get out of my way