Microsoft Reviews

4,156 Employee Reviews

1. Great Stable Company To Work For

Current Employee - User Experience Designer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits Meet and connect with brilliant people Great work/life balance (depending on the team) Easily jump to other teams within the company Extremely flexible schedules (depending on the team) Work on products and tools that touch millions of users Freedom to pursue projects that interest you (and up to you to initiate) Travel for conferences and workshops Free coffee and drinks

Cons

Full of politics Some managers are a nightmare to work with Difficult to make an impact in the culture No unity across teams on the same platform A lot of layers of management Teams can be have a terrible work/life balance Everyone outside of MS constantly doubting you Microsoft is not a "cool" place to work at (to most people)

Advice to Management

Many executives and mangers are tied to the past that it's extremely difficult to move forward into the future. Add in the political mess and you have a company with old culture habits that are stuck in the past. Need to identify and remove those people without putting employees in risk.

Mixed feelings

Former Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Good benefit. Good career growth from junior to senior level. Some people hated the curve or stack ranking, but it does allow each team's best engineer to stand out and get promoted when if their project is not going well.

Cons

Most teams move slowly compared to the industry. Some teams had tremendous baggage and technical debt. Too much process. Too many PMs.

Advice to Management

Satya's direction is definitely better than Ballmer's, but there needs to be more painful changes. More teams need to operate the Silicon Valley way. Invest more on Android / iOS platform. Participate more on open source community. There are enough talent in the company to start building cool products again.

3. Project Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High level of tecninical competency in all project resources. Focussed on Cloud based systems through Azure.

Cons

Work Life balance is not a concern. They don't care what it takes to get the project done but you'd better perform.

Advice to Management

Recognize even the smallest contributions not effort can be a home run. Big things have small beginnings.

5. Excellent Team, Interesting Work

Current Intern - Software Development Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Before starting I got some say in choosing my team. I ended up on an excellent team with four other developers, all of whom had lots of experience. Everybody was helpful and understanding. My manager gave me interesting work and freedom to develop however I liked. Our team was fast-paced and each developer had visible contributions with very low time to production.

Cons

Microsoft is a big company. I talked to other interns and full time employees and many teams have to deal with and support poorly documented legacy code/systems, and frequently there is a lot of bureaucracy. Some teams have to wait months before their finished features go into production. There is some internal tension between competing teams, even within the company

Advice to Management

keep moving in the current direction. Ensure that developers feel listened to and eliminate some of the bureaucracy. Having multiple VPs sign off on a code change doesn't necessarily mean it is any less likely to fail.

6. Software Development Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

Good Career opportunities. Very diverse teams. Good Environment. Surrounded by smart people. Quite exiting projects. The benefits are awesome.

Cons

Surrounded by smart people sometimes you feel a bit weird.

7. Senior program manger

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Stable and pays well. You can have huge impact on the world. Benefits are nice. Stock is up. Did I mention stable

Cons

Politics seems to dominate the culture. Little discussions with leadership. A lot of typical "we have always done it this way" culture.

Advice to Management

Too many middle managers

8. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Technical Evangelist (Contract Presentation Role) in Redmond, WA

Pros

I enjoyed my position with Microsoft and learned a significant amount during my time there. I was stretched beyond my comfort zone often and grew as both a leader and a presenter in this role. Great company to work for and a great opportunity.

Cons

No downsides apart from a very competitive climate that made it difficult to advance.

9. So far, ¿so good?

Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (More than a year)

Pros

Not much stress, work-life balance is great; it depends on who your boss is, but most of the time you are free to doo home office, control your own time, etc...

Cons

Small business unit structures that delay/stop your professional growth, lack of emotional intelligence in detected in some of the leaders, if your boss is not into home office culture you cannot apply to it even if it's a company habit.

none

Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

bureaucracy, red tape, delusional executives

Advice to Management

improve leadership skills

Top 5

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great and smart people around you

Cons

Only 50% 401K match, some companies offer 100% match Medical deductible is quite high for family

Showing 4,156 of 10,924 reviews