Microsoft Reviews

9,460 Reviews
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,691 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 859 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 552 reviews)

• Performance review system basically encourage competition inside the team (in 400 reviews)

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

2. technology behemoth with pros and cons

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

You can find diversity of things to work on, many smart people

Cons

Politics is a large part of your work, sometime you are too far from the business and your customers

Get mobile right please

I love working on products that positively impact the lives of many people.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good exposure to executives, good exposure to smart people and access to product groups across the company, good spirit of camaraderie towards one mission.

Cons

Culture can be somewhat rigid compared to other tech companies and varies greatly between teams, not much company investment into employee groups and activities, almost no company sponsored morale-type events.

Pay attention to keeping employees happy in things other than their exact assignments - things like quality/price of dining and morale events/team community matter.

Review

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Perks were good, good environment, good money. Overall a good place to work and i enjoyed my time there and the experience was invaluable.

Cons

Difficult interview process is probably the biggest problem I can think of. There isn't too much else to complain about.

No advice for management really, just keep doing what you're doing, and don't change I guess is all I can say.

6. Old-school tech company with new-school aspirations

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, work-life balance all great. Knowing your product will be used by millions. Getting to beta-test pretty much every new MS product. Lots of smart people who care about technology.

Cons

Deep management hierarchy can be frustrating. Even your skip-level may not know what is ahead in the next month. Low turnover rate and job cushiness means a surprising amount of mediocre senior devs who don't seem to care as much as they should. Size of company can make it hard to feel significant.

Keep steering the company away from the old ways and drawing inspiration from tech startups to keep MS relevant.

7. Things are looking up.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Competitive, challenging, solving big problems.

Cons

Sometimes it can be tough to competition for reviews and performance bonus. Work hard and it shouldn't be a problem.

Keep listening to the ideas of people and make the big changes when needed to shift the company in competitive directions.

8. Great people, ethical company, decent benefits but too many of the same old leaders!

Current Employee - Principal Program Manager Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Program Manager Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, smart people. The culture within the company is starting to change for the better.

Cons

The company has a lot of opportunity to improve and grow in the market, but I fear it will be hindered due to having the same old leaders at the top. Keeping the same execs, but giving them new roles won't give us better or different results.

Seriously clean house and change some of your top executives and their direct reports. Hire more a more diverse workforce like the new person from Qualcomm, Peggy Johnson. Bring in some outside blood, trust me, it will be good for us.

9. Great company with many talented people working on an array of projects. I'd definitely work here again someday.

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in Fargo, ND

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always new and innovative projects available. Many great leaders and mentors available, great benefits and work environment.

Cons

Not as nimble compared to other companies. Still has "me" vs "us" culture yet have seen strides to change that.

Continue to push innovation and developing your future leaders. I believe in the platforms, just need to reduce costs for other companies to come onboard so apps are developed, allowing you to increase market share.

10. software engineer for office

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

it's good, as you guys know

Cons

nothing want to say, he he

more activity, re org to frequent

Truly love this company!

Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, smart people, big challenges and big pay check

Cons

Not as nimble as it used to be. Very stable like IBM