Microsoft Reviews

8,482 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,166 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 833 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 975 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 543 reviews)

• Review system that pushes people to look out for themselves instead of being team focused (in 398 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Place to Work at!

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Raanana (Israel)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Raanana (Israel)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company with great technologies! Now is the time to be at Microsoft!

Cons

Hard work (that pays off), long days and weeks....it's a life style that you need to enjoy...

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Great people, going through lots of change

Current Employee - Solution Specialist
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some amazingly talented people at Microsoft and working with them is a pleasure. The sales environment is getting more high-pressure, but still nothing like what you hear from other places. They froze S-plan (sales people) base salaries and upped OTE by 8%, I believe, but the quotas are getting staggering. Everyone on my team has a quota over $10M. You can make a comfortable living and have good work-life balance.

Cons

A lot of transition means searching for answers. First it was Software + Services, now its Cloud First, Mobile First. There is a huge push to begin LOB selling, but unfortunately Microsoft doesn't sell much in the way of business solutions, it sells plumbing, so actually figuring out what to do is a struggle sometimes.

Quotas go up but customers remain the same, so its squeezing existing customer bases for money. Audits are up and customers are not happy. High quotas mean its tough to be too much over 100%, so payouts are limited.

Microsoft is increasingly left behind - going into a customer to talk about Windows 8 Apps and Windows Phones while everyone has an iPhone and an iPad just underscore how out of touch Microsoft got and quickly it was passed by.

Focus! Don't try to compete everywhere. Cut Windows Phone and focus on selling software on all platforms - Android, iOS, etc.

Great Company

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Work life balance can be very bad.

Amazing internship experience

Former Employee - Exporer
    Former Employee - Exporer

I worked at Microsoft as an intern

Pros

Great learning environment. They treat employees incredibly well. Very competitive salary and benefits. Seattle is a great place to live and work. Completely flexible hours and work schedule.

Cons

Gender balance is hard in any tech company. They are trying to fix it, but it is still not great. So many different groups that everyone will have a different experience in every group.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and good managers.

Cons

Constant re-orgs can be difficult to adjust to.

Reliability Engineer

Current Employee - Reliability in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Reliability in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Career development is slow specially if you are young

An overall great experience, have learned a lot, grown a lot, but it's not without its frustrations.

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values, renewed hacker culture, networking opportunities, diversity of roles and opportunities, being part of a company that literally changes the world.

Cons

The enormous product portfolio makes it tough to set an overall direction with which everyone can align. If you're not aligned with the current "true north," it can be difficult to accomplish your goals. The result can be a baseline level of politics and position jockeying that can be discouraging at times.

Ensure that compensation remains competitive with the world-class competitors you're challenging in the marketplace. Consider measuring the success of the business on timelines longer than 12 months.

Very good experience. The load is not very heavy. People are friendly inside the company. The company is very large.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very Large. Good pay for software engineers. Good compensation for interns. Free gifts for interns every year.

Cons

Company is too large. Food is not very good.

Absolutely the best experience I could hope for. I have an amazing team!

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Comprehensive benefits - Stock options, 401k matching, etc.
    - Great bonuses
    - Not many 80-hour weeks
    - Managers respect your time off

Cons

- it rains a lot :(
    - Lots of meetings

Can't you do anything about the rain?