Microsoft Reviews

8,453 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,147 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 833 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 975 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 543 reviews)

• Review system that pushes people to look out for themselves instead of being team focused (in 398 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, best employer I have worked for so far. But, like so many other places, managers can be a problem.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people. Interesting work, and rather than working on a product that will never get marketshare, at Microsoft you know the products you build should get noticed. Execellent benefits.

Cons

Arrogant management that didn't listen to experience. Willfully ignored the advice of experts at their own peril. Lots of fire drills as a result.

Don't think you know everything and don't have to pay attention to history. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Great Company

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Work life balance can be very bad.

Amazing internship experience

Former Employee - Exporer
    Former Employee - Exporer

I worked at Microsoft as an intern

Pros

Great learning environment. They treat employees incredibly well. Very competitive salary and benefits. Seattle is a great place to live and work. Completely flexible hours and work schedule.

Cons

Gender balance is hard in any tech company. They are trying to fix it, but it is still not great. So many different groups that everyone will have a different experience in every group.

Exciting place for young professionals to build their career

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- A lot of support for young college hires to gain experience and get your foot into the career
    - Culture is changing. Satya is really getting our culture direction is the right direction

Cons

- People don't believe in us.. frustrating to see it in the media
    - PMs...... too many of them doing mindless / useless features for their own job security
    - MSIT absolutely sucks

I think management is going on the right direction - removing stupid "processes"

Great people, going through lots of change

Current Employee - Solution Specialist
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some amazingly talented people at Microsoft and working with them is a pleasure. The sales environment is getting more high-pressure, but still nothing like what you hear from other places. They froze S-plan (sales people) base salaries and upped OTE by 8%, I believe, but the quotas are getting staggering. Everyone on my team has a quota over $10M. You can make a comfortable living and have good work-life balance.

Cons

A lot of transition means searching for answers. First it was Software + Services, now its Cloud First, Mobile First. There is a huge push to begin LOB selling, but unfortunately Microsoft doesn't sell much in the way of business solutions, it sells plumbing, so actually figuring out what to do is a struggle sometimes.

Quotas go up but customers remain the same, so its squeezing existing customer bases for money. Audits are up and customers are not happy. High quotas mean its tough to be too much over 100%, so payouts are limited.

Microsoft is increasingly left behind - going into a customer to talk about Windows 8 Apps and Windows Phones while everyone has an iPhone and an iPad just underscore how out of touch Microsoft got and quickly it was passed by.

Focus! Don't try to compete everywhere. Cut Windows Phone and focus on selling software on all platforms - Android, iOS, etc.

All companies in one company

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of technical areas to work on, Lots of new projects, good benefits, work life balance

Cons

Big & Mature company means low agility some times

Changing and Inspiring for the Future

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New review structure involves clear, simple, quarterly discussions with the manager. CEO is inspiring. New direction for cloud and devices makes sense. Long term strategy is good -- execution is going. Great HR perks -- Get Fit (Health) is fantastic! Tuition reimbursement is solid.

Cons

A big company and still can take long to try and get things done.

Thanks for making work-life balance possible. Thanks for valuing employees and customers. Please continue to invest in current employees and value the team work.

Great company to work for for a long time. Product units vary greatly in culture - choose wisely.

Current Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse, a lot of opportunities, a lot of good talent to learn from, good opportunities for career growth as an IC and as a manager.

Cons

Microsoft still has work to do to fully embrace the new cloud-first world. Its extensive legacy is a relative guarantee of revenue, but is also a huge deadweight that hinders innovation.
    Not as sexy to work in as it once had been, so it may not be attracting the top-most talent anymore.
    Compensation is less that some of the competition.
    The entire technological stack is proprietary, which means that technical skills you learn will not be immediately applicable in Open Source shops without some adaptation.

Learns more from new leaders of the areas we're entering. New CEO, however, already seems to be turning company in that direction.

Microsoft provides the full scope of the software industry, from hardware design to SaaS.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are still small teams where one has significant influence on ultimate outcome.
    Engineers can thrive in huge organizations by taking ownership of their deliverables.
    Great benefits, really, even with the 2014 HSA changes.

Cons

Perception that a linear career path means an employee is incapable, when many folks like to keep their hands 'dirty.'
    Also, without a large management defection, there are fewer options for upward mobility for higher 'levelled' employees (65+). As opposed to the current middle management reduction that should never be backfilled.
    Performance process hinders synergy and work/life balance.
    Changes to the review process have started, but it will be interesting to see how the new system is deployed and how employees are rewarded, when so many organizational changes are in play. That is, how much can leads put into employees, while wondering if their team is next on the chopping block.

Finish the organizational changes. Quickly.