Microsoft

3.6 7,046 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,046 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

ConsBrand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

software engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat work place. Many new software products to use and learn. Many talented people to work with. The products can impact on millions people. Good work life balance.

ConsThe company is big. Sometimes, the project progress is slow.

Microsoft is a terrific company

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

ProsA lot of opportunities to move around
big transition and re-org
big ecosystem
friendly peers
benefits
good work to life balance

Consbig company, I like this, but others may not.
There are times when it's super busy but it is not always busy.

MSFT User Research

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft

ProsFriendly and straightforward
Entire experience was streamlined
Great Atmosphere.
Lots of opportunities to interact with novel tech.

ConsThe company is so large that the whole experience may seem disconnected and unimportant but really, you're just here to fill a task.

Support Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros- Good Salary
- Challenging work

Cons- Have to work in odd shift
- Always less on staff

Its War. War with others on your team, war with other teams, war with other divisions. War with everybody and it sucks.

Senior Software Architect (Former Employee)
Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

ProsAlways work to do and there is never a shortage of people who have software problems you can help fix.

ConsThey tend to hire a lot of Jr. level people and then have the Sr. people clean up the messes. Marketing is all powerful but doesn't understand technology. The most innovative projects get cut or filled with bad people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the stack raking n all forms, allow teams to work together to a common goal, stop hiring idiots to fill empty seats.

Very satisfied employee who's been in many teams

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

ProsThe sheer number of opportunities that are available.

ConsWork life balance can be tough at bust times

A comfortable, well-paying, steady job with a couple of exciting teams

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation is competitive with Apple/Google/etc
Work life balance is, from what I hear, better.
Good job security.
Seattle is a very cool place to live.
I enjoy being the underdog. Microsoft hardware is up and coming.

ConsWhile there are a couple of cool projects, I'm waiting for Microsoft to release something exciting. We have been more of a follower so far.

Very good job choice if you want to live and work in the greater-Seattle area.

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

ProsBenefits are really good. Pay is competitive.

ConsPromotions are often shrouded in mystery without public announcements or acknowledgments. Intellectual horsepower, great teamwork, and delivering results above-and-beyond the typical employee do not result in rewards. It is usually a beauty contest amongst the few that are the personal favorites of GMs and CVPs. This is especially true for promotions from Level 64 (senior) to Level 65 (principal/director).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake promotions public and advertise your top performers at each level. Give public feedback on the specific examples on why those individuals were promoted This will provide employees with an objective benchmark of what the expectations are for work performance and delivered results.

Balanced corporation

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsWork/life balance, flexibility, you can make your job whatever you want it to be, you are in control

ConsConstant re-orgs, just as you start to dig into your work, your role may be changed

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed solid leadership direction at the middle management level. Senior leadership is strong, but not as it cascades down to GMs and directors.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,046 reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.