Microsoft Reviews

3.8
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
2,040 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is what you make it; always been fine for me (in 859 reviews)

• You will work with some incredibly smart people (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be very bad (in 552 reviews)

• The performance review system is broken (in 400 reviews)

9,772 Employee Reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop. 2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice. 3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies. Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening... 1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities. 2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good. After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

12 years at Microsoft

Current Employee - Senior International Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior International Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits including health care insurance. Excellent work life balance.

Cons

Sort of an odd ball within the core product team because you are not Program Manager, Developer, or Tester. Demotivating and unfair review system. Managers are trying to find faults of their directs because they are forced to find low rating employees at each review. Not much of an innovation compared to Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.

3. Microsoft Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is the best company. They care for their employees.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons of working there. It was a great place to work in.

Advice to Management

I would like to tell the management to keep up the good work they are doing in hiring and keeping the best talent.

Software Engineer 2

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Microsoft provides a great opportunity to work on impactful software. They are very professional and allow many opportunities to interact with top talent.

Cons

Microsoft is a large company with many levels of management. They are not always together on vision and things take a long time to get done.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to listen to engineering and other ICs as they provide great ideas. While I understand management is important, IC ideas should be considered.

6. Sr. Support Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All around brilliant people in Microsoft helped me to grow fast everyday. Charlotte is also a great a place to live with relatively low living cost.

Cons

The positions are limited in Microsoft Charlotte as here we focus on Customer Support and Services. For newly graduated students, it is great to join a big company like Microsoft, but in order to explorer more opportunities, Charlotte may not be the best place to stay with.

7. Good experience

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

1. Lots of experienced engineers to learn from. 2. Large scale project to contribute to, so one can learn how a large scale project is run 3. Well delineated career path

Cons

1. Company getting more irrelevant from tech industry every day 2. Lots of re-organization reflecting lack of clear strategy from upper management. 3. Technology learned may become more and more irrelevant from the rest of the trend.

8. Senior business intelligence developer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The work environment and cafeteria are good

Cons

The Commute is too long from bothell

9. Great company--good bosses are all the difference though.

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Pay, Time off, culture, and working with very smart people

Cons

Large company makes it hard to have freedom in work

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

10. Fine, plenty of room to grow

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

job security, world class benefits, plenty of other smart people, plenty of resources, lots of room to grow and park your car (Redmond)

Cons

Forced to work on platforms not because they're the best choice, but because it's MS. Slow to develop new solutions. In reactionary mode rather that pro-active innovation. Sure the research hub is huge, and hackathon is encouraging, but I don't remember much coming out of them. You'd have to finish the thing on your own time.

Advice to Management

Lots of change going on right now, but a lot of status quo too. Who's going to push for the real change and make it stick?

11. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, you learn a lot, good coworkers, interesting challenges, respectful and cery enjoyable environment.

Cons

A lof of process, sometimes there's not a lot of choice as to the available tasks to work on

Advice to Management

More transparency

Showing 9,772 of 10,550 reviews