Microsoft

8,984 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,449 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 859 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 552 reviews)

• Performance review system basically encourage competition inside the team (in 400 reviews)

More Highlights

The sand shifts too much to get anything done, but hey, it's nice white sand on a sunny beach.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Several things remain absolutely constant at Microsoft. You get to work every day with smart, often funny people who really want to do the right thing. The MS benefit package is second to none, by a very wide margin. Despite our often hard-core reputation, work-life balance is standard these days, you just have to decide what your balance is. Dedicated parents are as successful as married-to-their-desk uber geeks. Diversity is valued and our staff is well balanced.

Cons

Somewhere between startup and global giant MS hit some snags. The company and its environment have had a hard time scaling to what it means to be a blue chip company. No longer be run by techie cowboys winging it through every challenge the company still values that spirit. As a result they spurn anything that smacks of standard operating proceedure, rules, etc.. Sounds good until you need to do any of the multitude of things that a global enterprise needs to run smoothly. Or, god forbid, stick to a budget. Growing pains have taken their toll on morale as the same "new" ideas and projects are generated over and over, soak up millions, languish and die. As a result, the "message" to employees is confused and inconsistent. Salaries are below industry average (no matter what they tell you), the expectations are high, and the newly minted red tape is incredibly annoying. Place on that the onslaught of never-ending pointless re-orgs, and your chance of actually getting anything accomplished are long at best. It's a well-appointed habitrail wheel and the caffeine is free. Just don't be attached to the a outcome.

Knock off the re-orgs, set clear goals and measure performance like a real company. We're not a startup anymore, we've got to stop acting like one.

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Company is very forward-looking with the new leadership (Satya). Culture is rapidly evolving to be caught up with, or ahead of, the competition. Wide reach, with lots of opportunities to make an impact on the world.

Time-off is very flexible. Work-life balance is well managed on most teams.

Cons

Lots of legacy/historical process slowing down the company, making work frustrating at times. Currently a lot of churn to reach "ideal state" as quickly as possible (as mentioned in the pros). Company culture is still not very in-tune with the rest of the market and how competitors do their business at a tactical level, but this is improving in the last year.

A decent place to work in

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

work life balance is good

Cons

too much re-org
    leadership changes too often

Great company but is moving slowly

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Great products and smart people

Cons

not so good management hierachy and review system

A great place to learn for life

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I don't think there is anyplace I could have worked and learned so much and felt like I made such a big impact to the world of technology. I grew at Microsoft in so many ways.

- It is a wonderful place to become immersed in multiple game changing technologies.
     - Few places offer such a rich and diverse workforce allowing you to learn how to work with people better. Something that is more valuable and will last longer than any technology.
     - Microsoft allows you to take training, stay on top of new trends and grow you strengths.
     - There is always someone who can help. There is a vast wealth of material on hand for research to get you started on new projects quicker, pointed in the right direction, or help you out of a jam.
     - Good corporate values

Cons

- If you are in a group that is in a cost center, and particularly if costs are being cut, then the only way you can grow is often for someone else to shrink. This has incented poor behavior in some places.
     - There is no end to work, that is making your project and yourself better. Balance that with your management. You need to balance work/life or it can get out of control.
    - it is not a meritocracy, you will need to network and sponsors to protect and promote your career just as much as doing good work.
    - rewards are very tied to making your direct management chain better. If you helped another team outside your direct managements unbrella do well, you often are not rewarded for that.

- Let's hope the changes in the review system foster collaboration, focus on the customer, and focus on external competition. Too often the system in place and management that relied on it to make high level decisions forced the company into internal competition versus external competition or enabling innovation.
    - To de-invest requires and up front investment. Too often the ask to cut back comes before there is an ability to simplify or automate first thereby allowing for a de-investment that is painless to the customer.

Outstanding company with great career opportunities

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very intellectually stimulating environment. Constant opportunities to learn and grow. Many career opportunities.
    Great benefits. Diversity is highly valued within the company culture with opportunities for everyone. Lot of flexibility in work arrangements.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that success within the company has significant demands that can be a challenge to maintain a good work/Life balance.
    Recent health benefits changes have resulted in significant increase in healthcare costs for employees.

More focus on ability to manage work/life balance, especially for employees who must travel regularly
    Reconsider health benefits, which have become costly and complex.

whatever

Current Employee - SDEII in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - SDEII in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Good pay, lots of tech, flexible work schedule, opportunity to move around

Cons

Too many managers who do nothing, too much process

Be prepared for lots of change

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance if you manage it properly. Reasonable benefits. Great pay.

Cons

Many re-orgs cause change in managers, which are key to your success and ability to move up in the company.

Good pay, not always good work

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

- base salary
    - good benefits
    - can move around the company easily now

Cons

- lots of legacy work to support

Is that merge of dev and test gonna finish any time soon?