Microsoft Reviews

3.8
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
2,041 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is what you make it; always been fine for me (in 859 reviews)

• You will work with some incredibly smart people (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be very bad (in 552 reviews)

• The performance review system is broken (in 400 reviews)

9,733 Employee Reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop. 2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice. 3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies. Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening... 1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities. 2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good. After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

12 years at Microsoft

Current Employee - Senior International Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior International Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits including health care insurance. Excellent work life balance.

Cons

Sort of an odd ball within the core product team because you are not Program Manager, Developer, or Tester. Demotivating and unfair review system. Managers are trying to find faults of their directs because they are forced to find low rating employees at each review. Not much of an innovation compared to Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.

3. Awesome CEO. Amazing company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Great working for a diverse and people focused company. Satya is an amazing leader that has the right vision for Microsoft's next 20 years.

Cons

Competitive pressure from all sides require us to be responsive and not reactive. Must B cautious.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the Cloud First, Mobile First strategy. We will win.

5. The People Were Awesome

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone was smart, helpful, professional, and friendly. Your work contributes and builds on that of others. Your manager encourages you to take breaks and balance your work with downtime. Free drinks, free coffee, decent cafeteria food. The company is currently in an upward trend of gaining respect.

Cons

Other departments don't much respect your time. You set up a meeting wherein everyone is supposed to be free according to their calendars, and they still don't show up.

Advice to Management

Give your underperforming employees a bit more "kick". The purposes of the higher-up directors and VPs can sometimes be nebulous and clouded in corporate jargon. When the actual directing happens, sometimes projects will be given ridiculously short delivery timelines and set up to fail.

6. Product Advisor

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Great place to work. Always given challenging work. Given great opportunities to move forward your career

Cons

Very fast phase for the work. Politics in the upper level management.

Advice to Management

Managers was very understanding and co-operative. I liked to work at Microsoft store

7. Doers can do, relaxers can relax

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

If you want to go up the ladder fast, you can do it. Provided you select the right team with the right people beforehand

Cons

Waterfall process and old technology and a distance from the new stuff happening in silicon valley makes it feel a little less techy

Advice to Management

Move to agile completely

8. Microsoft

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. Exciting problems to solve.you get to work with smart people. You love in the edge of new technology.

Cons

Jobs are usually very Stressful. You suffer from very Low work life balance. No overtime given even when it's almost always expected that you work extra.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to not rush too much shipping products very fast. This ends up causing morale problems for workers as well as low quality products.

9. Sr. Product Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

You get to know how to scale the business across the globe & also with Partners

Cons

Disconnected on engaging with direct customers

Advice to Management

Have less hierarchical structures and encourage more direct touch with customers

10. Great Company, great products

I worked at Microsoft part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible work environment, demanding but rewarding, fast paced and yet very easy to manage, and just an overall great experience despite only working there for a brief period.

Cons

There's not much to say here except that I wish I was offered full-time and not just part-time. I would have stayed longer if it wasn't for the limited schedule I was working.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I know some people have issues in this particular area but I had a great experience and wouldn't change a thing.

11. Senior Software Development Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Excellent environment. Enlightened, transparent management. Great products. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Some teams are more mature than others. If working in a team with lots of senior colleagues, career growth is slower than average growth velocity of peers.

Showing 9,733 of 10,533 reviews