Microsoft Reviews

8,429 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,129 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 820 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 964 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 537 reviews)

• Review system that pushes people to look out for themselves instead of being team focused (in 395 reviews)

More Highlights

experiences vary

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Name recognition, opportunities, working with smart people using the latest technologies. Redmond is a nice place to work and live.

Cons

Work/life balance can be quite difficult at times. The review process varies in quality from group to group. Sometimes there isn't adequate recognition for accomplishments.

The whole Yahoo deal was quite distracting and almost a huge mistake! The review process is still broken - it needs an overhaul and some kind of quality control.

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Great Company

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Work life balance can be very bad.

Amazing internship experience

Former Employee - Exporer
    Former Employee - Exporer

I worked at Microsoft as an intern

Pros

Great learning environment. They treat employees incredibly well. Very competitive salary and benefits. Seattle is a great place to live and work. Completely flexible hours and work schedule.

Cons

Gender balance is hard in any tech company. They are trying to fix it, but it is still not great. So many different groups that everyone will have a different experience in every group.

Exciting place for young professionals to build their career

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- A lot of support for young college hires to gain experience and get your foot into the career
    - Culture is changing. Satya is really getting our culture direction is the right direction

Cons

- People don't believe in us.. frustrating to see it in the media
    - PMs...... too many of them doing mindless / useless features for their own job security
    - MSIT absolutely sucks

I think management is going on the right direction - removing stupid "processes"

Great people, going through lots of change

Current Employee - Solution Specialist
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some amazingly talented people at Microsoft and working with them is a pleasure. The sales environment is getting more high-pressure, but still nothing like what you hear from other places. They froze S-plan (sales people) base salaries and upped OTE by 8%, I believe, but the quotas are getting staggering. Everyone on my team has a quota over $10M. You can make a comfortable living and have good work-life balance.

Cons

A lot of transition means searching for answers. First it was Software + Services, now its Cloud First, Mobile First. There is a huge push to begin LOB selling, but unfortunately Microsoft doesn't sell much in the way of business solutions, it sells plumbing, so actually figuring out what to do is a struggle sometimes.

Quotas go up but customers remain the same, so its squeezing existing customer bases for money. Audits are up and customers are not happy. High quotas mean its tough to be too much over 100%, so payouts are limited.

Microsoft is increasingly left behind - going into a customer to talk about Windows 8 Apps and Windows Phones while everyone has an iPhone and an iPad just underscore how out of touch Microsoft got and quickly it was passed by.

Focus! Don't try to compete everywhere. Cut Windows Phone and focus on selling software on all platforms - Android, iOS, etc.

Average place. Not a place for innovation. Too much politics.

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance. You can go through work without much effort.

Cons

Too much politics. Whatever happened to meritocracy.

Fire all people who are not technical and into politics.

Microsoft

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Use of latest technology. Good perks.

Cons

Too big of an organization. more agile/startup mentality is needed

Satya N. pushing for culture change. Middle management needs to change.

Great place to work with brilliant individual contributors but less than stellar middle management

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer Lead in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer Lead in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyday is a new learning at work. The people around, especially the individual contributors, are mostly very smart and there is hardly any day when you don't feel like you are not being challenged.

Cons

Leadership can sometimes hold you back. Too many people who have been here for a really long time are occupying positions in middle management without making much of a difference to the product/people. Many of these people are too rigid to change and are opposed to any semblance of a change. This is usually the source of slower innovation. I am however optimistic with the arrival of Satya though. He is making the right noises and backing it up with some sound decisions.

20+ year career, varied experiences, the company where I "grew up"

Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with large number of opportunities to gain experience, excellent compensation package, Challenging environment pushes you to produce good work.

Cons

Depending on the team, can be overly political and slow. Culture is very entrenched and slow to change. Performance model legacy leads to negative behavior

Performance Model is the biggest negative for working at Microsoft. It discouraged teamwork, and was demoralizing for personality types that do not enjoy self-promotion. The new model is heading in the right direction, but implementation is unclear and it doesn't appear management is totally bought in.