Microsoft Reviews

3.8
8,105 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Lot of good things.
    As a lover of technology, you have lot of things to work on.
    Lot of different challenges to excite you
    Excellent Pay

Cons

Politics is the biggest problem. Doing good work is rewarded less than making connections. There is too much hierarchy in management to prevent you from being visible.

Not much.

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Stack ranking not totally gone

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay. A lot of perks and discounts. Very focused on giving back, unbelievable matching program.

Cons

Cut throat, work-life balance sucks. Still have a system where they cut bottom employees regardless of performance and even if the market can't support hiring better quality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with plenty of opportunities

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vast number of projects to work on in multiple countries. Pay is consistently in the top 75% percentile. Flexible work hours. For engineers, there's a vast number of levels to grow, which is far different than competitors like Amazon. IC's can potentially earn as much as a VP with the number of levels for growth. Overall, this is a great company for career growth. Pay is 100% performance based now, and favors collaboration over politics. Stack ranking is dead!

Cons

Aren't going to get the free perks like you see in competitors in silicon valley, but who really cares. You will most likely make more money at Microsoft and that's more important. Still growth favors type A people. If you aren't one that guides and leads the design and has major influence, your growth and performance awards will be much slower.

Go flat org. Get rid of testers and go combined engineering role for 90% of product line. Keep the path and listen to customers. Listen to customers. Listen to customers!!!!

A constantly evolving work environment that supports continuous growth.

Former Employee - Operations Engineer II  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you ever decide you're bored with a given technology or modality you have tons of opportunities to move around and try something new.

Cons

This company is becoming more political each day. More and more red tape and arrogance on the part of management is slowing the wheels of innovation.

I worked for Microsoft

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Looks good on the resume.

Cons

managers are a pain in the you know what

Microsoft is one of the best; though all companies have their flaws.

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits package is good, the people are smart, and the products are great. It was good to work with one of the top software companies in the world.

Cons

Teams do not always communicate adequately, and goals are sometimes lost in the shuffle of the day-to-day. However, they are making changes to head into the future of the changing computing world of today/tomorrow.

Great training but employmwent is numbers driven

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

informative, fun, you learn a lot

Cons

they exect you to spend lots of time there

Keep doing what youre doing

Passionate people working on a product they all believe will profoundly benefit the consumer

Former Employee - Industry Marketing Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Industry Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed working in an environment where everyone on the team had an immense amount of pride and dedication to the product. Very supportive management, generous salary and perks, and Microsoft has global brand recognition.

Cons

The stack ranking system (which is now gone). Also a necessary negative when working with any large corporation, is the amount of time required for meetings, training, and paperwork not related to the product.

It was a good company

Former Employee - Principal Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good career path for someone in my position. Learned a lot

Cons

Too big of a company. Slow to move and takes a while to get things done.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!