Microsoft Reviews

3.8
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
2,203 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is what you make it; always been fine for me (in 859 reviews)

• You will work with some incredibly smart people (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be very bad (in 552 reviews)

• The performance review system is broken (in 400 reviews)

10,094 Employee Reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop. 2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice. 3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies. Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening... 1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities. 2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good. After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Decent place, but not the hottest thing in town

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Fair compensation - Many of the cool "tech" industry benefits without the crazy SF start-up hours and anti-family culture

Cons

- Feels like a "has-been" tech company - it's a large company and feels like it - If you're not in Redmond, you're a 2nd class citizen

3. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have lot of experience people around and good Microsoft stack is available. Good salary, bonus and stock. Work life balance.

Cons

Lot of process and slow growth. Not the right place for college grads. Less opportunity to think outside the box.

Advice to Management

Value you employees

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people who are very helpful Good Benefits Diversity

Cons

The work happens a little slow

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work

Cons

Political and not collaborative peers

Advice to Management

none

It's amazing...but.

Current Employee - Xbox Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Xbox Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smartest people you'll ever work with. Some of the best, if not the best benefits in tech. Benefits got slightly worse post recession and government healthcare rollout, but just improved with changes to family leave and 401k contribution.

Cons

Work life balance is extremely challenging. You are never truly offline. You do have the ability to set your own schedule, and that flexibility is appreciated.

8. Great work place

Former Employee - Product Advisor
    Former Employee - Product Advisor

Pros

awesome management - great people to work with !

Cons

retail hours aren't the easiest

9. Group Finance Manager

Pros

Great benefits. Good work life balance

Cons

Low salary compared to industry peers, bureaucratic as the company has grown big

10. Getting scrappy still big

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life, lots of potential to impact many people. High values and integrity.

Cons

Old managers in place, probably couldn't switch so hard to break into.

Advice to Management

Get out of annual goal and planning process. The fiscal reset looses so much momentum and accountability. Less manager to employee ratio like Google would be more impactful.

Not as great as it use to be

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is well known that the benefits are great. I enjoyed working there. The work environment is generally good - I never heard any yelling and most of the people try to help their coworkers.

Cons

Under the new leadership jobs are not as secure as they were under Ballmer. The biggest problem for me was that management did not follow their long term plans. High priority projects would be created on the whim of a director. At other times projects would be eliminated without explanation.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it.

Showing 10,094 of 10,912 reviews