Microsoft Reviews

3.8
7,978 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights

Great employer for smart but unambitious family-orientated people who love rain

Former Employee - Director  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall, a great deal: solid pay, nearly guaranteed annual bonus, stock, opportunity to for recognition. Industry-leading health benefits, 401k, employee matching and many other small perks.

Cons

Extremely political, unreasonably difficult to get things done, there are a ton of people who have been there for 20+ years who aren't interested in changing or working too hard

You could eliminate 30% of the workforce with little impact to the bottom line; find ways to empower the rest.

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

SDE II

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) II  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Microsoft cares for you and wants you to be successful

Cons

Sometimes your peers are better at doing politics vs programming which is unfortunate but I guess any place with this many number of people is bound to have this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've been a software developer at Microsoft for 11 years.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is geek heaven. You work with people who are as passionate as yourself about software development. The benefits are top of the line. If you perform well, you are rewarded well.

Cons

The review process is draining and if your manager doesn't fight for you, you might not earn the recognition you deserve.

Be sure your direct reports understand what constitutes for success and then fight for them.

Really solid place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fair work life balance.
    Great benefits and compensation.
    Office culture is healthy and usually fun.
    The Connector bus!
    Free bus pass!
    Environmentally conscience

Cons

Big company means plenty of red tape.
    Poor job of sharing, distributing and presenting good BI to employees. Hard to measure one's impact.
    Not metrics driven (or not enough)

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Senior Content Publishing Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Content Publishing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is excellent. Work-life balance is what you make it; always been fine for me. Benefits quite good, but medical not as good as it used to be. Culture varies from group to group; my current group is excellent.

Cons

The company doesn't have quite the creative edge it once did. Sometimes it blunders big, yet manages to survive because of its sheer size and wealth. Management above a certain level tends to lose sight of reality, so can end up doing the wrong thing, like laying off and rewarding the wrong people.

Keep driving the culture shift. Make the things Nadella says show up as truth for the ground troops, not just rhetoric from the CEO.

Enterprise sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

The most amazing people, very supportive culture, zero micro-management, ability to work on cool projects and get exposed to very senior leadership are the best things about MSFT. The company is doing great things at this time and employees are quite inspired. Company's stock has performed very well in the past few years and the salary and benefits are quite aggressive for new hires. I personally was positively surprised by how cool the company was as compared to my original perception. Perhaps, this is the result of the new CEO.

Cons

As a new employee you are very likely to get a bit overwhelmed at first by the amount of information you receive. This passes, however.

Don't stop doing what you are doing!

Challenging, broad

Current Employee - Principal Software Design Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Design Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are two things about Microsoft that make it top notch for software engineering.

The first is the focus on the business. This may seem counterintuitive but the business focus is an excellent lens through which to look at software design and execution. I previously worked at a company which was arguably a better engineering company but the lack of business focus led to software projects not having longevity and ultimately to the collapse of the company.

The second is the people. It's said that if you are a jazz musician and you're the best in your band, you need to change bands. There is very little danger of topping out in Microsoft. There are always excellent skilled engineers to challenge you.

Cons

Microsoft leadership stalled for a decade or so where more focus was paid to just business rather than a balance of business and engineering. The top echelons of compensation are epic; competition is fierce and winning is defined by profitability which has led to thinning of the product herd to only the most obviously profitable (or necessary) investments. Satya's leadership has hope of changing this but when you see references to Microsoft's environment being "toxic" this is the root cause with the old stack ranking system in a supporting role.

Work life balance is clearly your problem. If you are ambitious and/or energetic there is always benefit to trading the work/life balance for work but it can eat you alive. Do not look for your organization to guard your own work/life balance, it's up to you (as it should be but be cautioned).

Stop the focus on profit even if it has negative ramifications on stock price. Use a lower stock price to reacquire ownership of the company in a stock buy back. The competition is growth and share focused, not profit focused.

Explore Internship

Former Employee - Explore Intern  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Explore Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-learned quickly
    -experienced all 3 disciplines--PM, SDE, SDET
    -Microsoft pampers interns well--especially explore interns
    -exposed to company, so no need to ramp up if/when you return next summer

Cons

Microsoft is undergoing a lot of reorganization internally. SDET is not a very stable role in some teams, and they are moving towards combined engineering, so things can be a bit weird in the company during this transition period.

Amazing Company

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

culture, compensation, people, weather, work

Cons

none, nill, null, without, nope

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!