Microsoft Reviews

9,638 Reviews
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,770 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 859 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 552 reviews)

• Performance review system basically encourage competition inside the team (in 400 reviews)

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Attorney

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, casual dress, good pay, excellent benefits (health insurance, vacation, sick leave, discounts), training, collegial culture, and great corporate citizenship programs

Cons

The volume of work is almost always overwhelming. While there is a lot of flexibility with respect to time spent in the office, there is little time that I do not feel expected to be connected: nights, weekends, sick leave and vacation time.

Advice to Management

The company has undergone a tremendous amount of change recently. Even for those of us who view the changes positively, the changes can be challenging. Clearer communication about the changes, particularly the issues surrounding reduced headcount and flatter org structures.

Business Administrator

Current Employee - Business Administrator in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Business Administrator in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

Individual office, casual dress (I wear jeans and sneakers). Great time off - 3 weeks of vacation for new employees plus two weeks of sick time and two floating holidays, along with paid holidays off.

Cons

tied to email. Frustrating to take time off, but feel you have to monitor your email or you are buried in it when you return.

Advice to Management

Don't review Business Administrators the same way you do everyone else. We have a ceiling to our growth. Stop asking long term BA's what we need to learn and what we can do to grow.

5. Premier Field Engineer

Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company overall with lots of technical knowledge to learn.

Cons

hard work and harsh review to move forward.

Advice to Management

become more flexible

6. SharePoint Project Manager

Former Intern - Project Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, Great team, always gave really good feedback. If you're an Intern they are always looking out for you trying to help you get a vendor role before your internship ends.

Cons

Huge workload even when I went home I still had tons of work to do

7. Great people work here

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people who work for and at Microsoft. The dress code is very casual. There are learning opportunities even for contract employees.

Cons

No holidays for contract employees. It is difficult to transition from contract to Microsoft employee. The opportunities to advance seem few.

Advice to Management

Create a way for vendor/contract employees to move into a full time position.

8. Hardware engineer

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Lots of highly motivated people that care about their work. Great envirnment!

Cons

The Pros might not be true, depending on your group.

Advice to Management

Bring back the old insurance!

9. Technical Account Manager

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn if you are young and hungry for experience! Pay and perks are above national average. Incredibly smart people work at Microsoft!

Cons

Large corporation which means red tape like you wouldn't imagine. No life work balance and movement within the company is a bit stifled unless you know someone.

Advice to Management

Increase full time employees and not vendors it degrades our Microsoft experience to our customers!

10. Product Advisor

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay.
    Great Coworkers.
    Different work everyday

Cons

Bureaucracy
    Micro-Management
    High Sales Goals
    Constant stress to achieve outlandish goals
    No appreciation for effort

Advice to Management

Dont micro-manage so much

11. Data Specialist

Former Contractor - Data Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Data Specialist in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture for exercise, learning, and generating ideas

Cons

Difficult to get into a full-time position