Microsoft Reviews

3.8
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
2,203 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is what you make it; always been fine for me (in 859 reviews)

• You will work with some incredibly smart people (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be very bad (in 552 reviews)

• The performance review system is broken (in 400 reviews)

10,106 Employee Reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop. 2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice. 3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies. Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening... 1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities. 2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good. After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

2. SDE2

Current Employee - SDE2 in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - SDE2 in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great with work life balance

Cons

Slow in getting things done

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have lot of experience people around and good Microsoft stack is available. Good salary, bonus and stock. Work life balance.

Cons

Lot of process and slow growth. Not the right place for college grads. Less opportunity to think outside the box.

Advice to Management

Value you employees

5. Great place to develop a career

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Improving culture, strong talent, greater strategic focus than ever before

Cons

Success is highly dependent on the team / manager you have

Advice to Management

Continue to focus core business on areas where MS can win, vs. trying to compete everywhere

6. Excellent workplace

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits Great Culture Motivated Career Growth Millions of areas to work on

Cons

Politics Old way of thinking Difficult to adapt new technologies

Advice to Management

Open up to new technologies

7. Sr Supply Chain Planner

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

Business environment, career opportunities, salary, benefits

Cons

Work and life balance, excessive pressure

8. Great for learning depending on group, very slow and political promotions

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great buffet for marketing and other jobs. Great work life balance depending on team. Great benefits. Microsoft really cares for its people overall.

Cons

Politics and people that have been at Microsoft during the old Microsoft era are not easy to work with. New Microsoft is better but still discouraging to work hard and not get promoted because of politics and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the top layers of management that don't add value and promote younger talent. Need new fresh blood to mix in with the old.

9. Invigorating, impactful, challenging and demanding

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Empowered to make an impact, lots of super smart people. The world uses what you build to be productive. Good vacation with seniority.

Cons

Poor work life balance to be competitive. Politics can be a problem at times as MS has grown to be quite large.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on culture. Reverse deductibles in health plan.

Times are a changin'

Current Employee - Design Integrator II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Design Integrator II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Satya has done a great job at shifting the culture in the short time he's had. The company's priorities seem like they are in the right place now. Fat trimming is good to see Lots of smart people to work with Competitive pay Excellent benefits Can set my own schedule and work

Cons

Change at a company this large takes time and lots of the old guard are still around. It will take time to complete the shift. If you aren't dedicated hours can seem long. If you work in tech this shouldn't be a surprise. If it's a problem find a new career.

11. Overall

Current Employee - Service Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall - it's a good job. Good benefits, if your on main campus - mail, bank, food options and the company store.

Cons

I am in a niche area - Operations. A COGS group, while the existing services understand that they need a support team to keep their product running, leadership often thinks that the product should be built in such a way that they do not need the cost of an Operations team. So while essential, it's a frowned upon area that seems to be hidden under the carpet quiet often.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the software developers are part of Livesite events, but let Operations deal with the day to day - the SWE's need to focus on bugs and improvements, not DNS/Azure/Infra failures - you'll drive them away If you force them to work through a incident queue looking for issues as well as wake in the middle of the night for issues they cannot resolve. As a Service Operations Engineer - My career has been to support these products and take the hit, as my schedule is more flexible - I fight the fires as needed and then work my other self improvement or service automation tasks on a looser schedule. Protect the SWE's from burn out and keep the product moving forward.

Showing 10,106 of 10,923 reviews