Microsoft Reviews

3.8
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,914 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is what you make it; always been fine for me (in 859 reviews)

• You will work with some incredibly smart people (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be very bad (in 552 reviews)

• The performance review system is broken (in 400 reviews)

9,527 Employee Reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Premier Field Engineer

Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexibility of working from home
    - Work/life balance good.
    - Good Brand name
    - Lots of smart people.

Cons

- Salary not that good. Very average.
    - Customer Facing: pressure to work under very high expectations

Advice to Management

Continue building more collaboration with teams from different departments. Satya Nadella has made some good changes in the company.

Microsoft Apprenticeship Program

Former Employee - Apprentice in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Apprentice in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and network. You will have Microsoft on your resume in high school which is unheard of. It will allow you to get tons of internships your freshman and sophomore year in college which is very difficult.

Cons

I heard they have a new manager that runs the entire program who is not very good. Sometimes the work they give you is not important and remedial (prinitng, shipping, looking up things).

Advice to Management

I would rehire the old manager for the program. She is what made this program so fun and successful. I would also encourage the managers of the apprentices to be more interactive with them.

5. I love my job

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with on my immediate team, and I love my management chain 2 levels up. Our benefits package keeps shrinking, but is still pretty good. I love the flexibility in my work schedule. I think most of this has to do with the team that I'm on, not all my peers have it as good as I do

Cons

Our packages keep shrinking every year and once you're in a track there's not a lot of chance to skip tracks. It's hard to find a different type of position where you may function at a different skill level. It's easy to downlevel to try a different position, but it's impossible to level up to a different position even though you may be exceptionally qualified for the new position. The only way to get compensated at a higher level is to leave and get hired back, negotiating a new level in the process.

Advice to Management

cut the red tape, stop cutting our package. Satya is new, he's not a panacea. We still need to get agile and stop following the market

6. Good company

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Lots of opportunities, smart people, good work life balance.

Cons

Too many layers of management, lots of people in the comfort zone and not agile enough.

it is good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

it still leader in some area

Cons

the company need to change

Total Compensation

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Microsoft is doing a great job, combining base salary, with bonus and stock awards in a way that makes it very hard for smaller companies to match and attract talent.

Cons

Wondering how much people value stability and predictability in income as you get more mature in your career

Terrific place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big challenges
    Huge potential impact
    Good compensation
    Good benefits

Cons

Work-life balance gets unbalanced for many people. It's definitely possible to keep a healthy work-life balance, you just need to be disciplined about protecting your personal and family time.

10. Good work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, OH

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

They try to make the workplace anything special

Cons

It's obscene how a company will not try to retain it's employees who play the most pivotal part in bringing in the money that you horde from them.

11. AE

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

great company to work for. respected

Cons

becoming out of touch with technology

Showing 9,527 of 10,266 reviews