Microsoft

9,290 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,596 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 859 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 552 reviews)

• Performance review system basically encourage competition inside the team (in 400 reviews)

More Highlights

Make awesome products people probably aren't using.

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, interesting work (based on the groups I've chosen to work in), and extremely congenial atmosphere. I've encountered very few people that I consider a waste of headcount over the years, which is in stark contrast to other big companies I've worked for where that rate ran up to 50% in some cases.

Cons

The company is still struggling to find consumer mojo and it's disappointing to see them produce good products that they fail to market appropriately. As a result, you feel like half of the stuff Microsoft is working on is pointless. Find a group that's building something you're passionate about and you'll be fine.

Fix marketing. You can't advertise something for two weeks after you release and call it good. Every third ad on TV is for an iPhone or iPad. They only come out with new ones once a year - sustained marketing does wonders.

More acquisitions. Stop spinning up new products and services that are half-baked copies of something and just buy the market leader. Buy Spotify or Pandora for example and put a bullet in Xbox Music. Xbox Music sucks, you're not improving it fast enough, just pack it in and buy a service people are using.

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

9 years later...

Current Employee - Account Technology Strategist
    Current Employee - Account Technology Strategist

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible for work styles. Good paycheck with security for the company

Cons

A lot has changed in the last 9 years, when I signed in our benefits were unbelievable and now they aren't that bad but it takes a lot of work to maintain the hsa plan and now I have like 4k a year of out of pocket expenses which I did not receive a pay increase for. Also if you're not at the mother ship in Redmond it's not the same experience.

Help those who help you and make sure you listen to what the field is saying. Give the field the same perks those of you who live in Washington get. Don't look at us like we are sub standard just because we don't go to the campus every day. We in the field keep the place going too, you know?

A++ place to work

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

internal opportunity to move laterally and upward

Cons

too much overlapping at middle-management

reviews are to promote ones success and areas of improvement not a tool to put one peer against another.

Microsoft's been very, very good to me

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

I worked for Microsoft for 20 years and I couldn't be happier to be a cheerleader in the market place and workforce for my former company. Microsoft has been doing excellent innovation, and it was a pleasure to have been a part of the corporation and see the evolution of those products and services. During my tenure, I went from a technical writer to a director, and felt Microsoft had my back as an employee. The company has clear values that put customers first but never at the expense of the employees. We worked toward clear goals in my organization (Office) and were rewarded for innovation and results. The everyday benefits of working for Microsoft are simply amazing -- great 5 star restaurants (I wouldn't call them cafeterias), soccer fields, baseball diamonds, fantastic medical benefits that include vision and dentistry, employee stock purchase plan, generous 401K, and the pay is on the high side for the industry.

Cons

While Microsoft was a growing enterprise, the work/life balance was tilted toward the work end of the equation. However, it started to become clear that employee burnout is not a good strategy, and Microsoft started putting a higher emphasis on work/life balance.

Keep the innovative trend going!

challenging and interesting

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

no limits, lots of ownership

Cons

none, you own your result.

be bold

Great Company

Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

-Lots of growth opportunities
    -Solid team of contributors
    -Great compensation

Cons

-Long hours driven by some unfortunate inefficiencies left over from previous teams
    -Sometimes too much focus on strategy

Keep it up, the changes since Satya came in have been great

Moving in the right direction, could be great when KT is gone

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Good people, good brand, good opportunities to see a lot of IT

Cons

A mile wide and an inch deep. Don't think, do.

Move some strategy to the field.

Great company and people

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Career development, amazing experiences, benefits.

Cons

Long hours, bureaucracy, performance calibrations, project management.

Focus on work-life balance and collaboration.

Great Company!

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

People are just amazing at Microsoft, always ready to help.

Cons

No cons of working here.