Microsoft Reviews

Reset
4.4
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Work-life balance is what you make it; always been fine for me (in 859 reviews)

• You will work with some incredibly smart people (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be very bad (in 552 reviews)

• The performance review system is broken (in 400 reviews)

SDE Internship at Microsoft - Great Experience

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

An internship at Microsoft has been a great experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The pay and benefits for interns is better than most other internships. Above this, however, the way in which Microsoft structures their internships is very refreshing compared to past internships I've had. Intern projects at Microsoft are incredibly well thought out and are designed so that you can complete them during the summer, make an impact, and not have to learn every intricacy of the product you are working on. As for working for Microsoft in general, everyone seems to be very happy with their jobs and I have yet to see much that would make me want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Not really a negative, but I would say that your experience here, much like at other companies, is very much dependent on your group and the people you work with. There of course have been a few stories of interns who work for groups they simply don't like. For the most part, however, the groups are all very enthusiastic and fun to work with.

Advice to Management

I was probably not at the company long enough to make a reasonable assessment of Senior Management at Microsoft. Although I can say that everyone I have had contact with that is in a management position above me has been nothing but enjoyable.

2. Great Internship Program

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

The great thing about working at Microsoft as an SDET intern is that they give you "real-world" work to do, on projects that matter. You are also highly compensated for your work.

Cons

It's a large corporation, so many times you get bogged down by bureaucracy. You also always don't get to completely choose what you want to do when you start.

Advice to Management

Let new employees have more freedom to truly explore what they want to do, so it can benefit everyone in the long run.

3. It was fantastic

Current Employee - Program Manager Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager Intern in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The internship program is obviously designed to fix any problems before they occur. I had very clear project expectations, lots of positive feedback, great working conditions, and excellent compensation.

Cons

The only major downside was the fact my project had trouble finding programmers to actually implement the planned feature, but my manager compensated very well.

Advice to Management

It's hard to think of any way to improve - my overall experience was amazing. I guess the major problem is trying to coordinate so many projects in so many discrete departments.

5. Microsoft MBA internship experience

Current Employee - Product Manager Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful and impactful projects, good work hours, leadership exposure, structured internship process,

Cons

Collaborative culture sometimes affects speed, but if you are smart and resourceful - there is no stopping you!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. Excellent Company to work for

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company took good care of the interns, even the ones not in the Redmond location. Microsoft had a fun culture, interesting events, and an overall well organized intern program.

Cons

Microsoft is a large company that can be stuck in process and organization, that might slow down work progress and stifle creativity in favor of organized productivity.

7. Sde intern intervir

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice You get your own office you get many computer monitors Drink are free. People are smart, you get to ask a lot of questions and they usually help you out

Cons

No con really. Its a bit far from home

8. Far better than I had hoped for.

Current Intern - Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Current Intern - Intern in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to do interesting and important work, even as an intern. The people are nice, helpful, and personable. There are free drinks (Coke products, Pepsi products, fruit juice, milk, and Starbucks coffee). They have an internal shuttle service that takes you anywhere you need to go and commuter buses with wifi.

Cons

For me, the only real downside has been how far it is from my home, girlfriend, and family. It'll be better when I come back full time though because they're paying relocation for my girlfriend and putting her on my health insurance even though we aren't married.

Advice to Management

Most of the PMs aren't actually useful. You could easily do with fewer of them.

9. Great environment for software engineers

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They give you tons of equipment that you'll ever want or need. Lots of smart people to be around all the time. You're own office. Free drinks whenever I want them. Great cafeteria food and they even tell you what's healthy and not. VERY VERY eco friendly environment. Encourage you to go out and meet other people on campus so they have happy hours where they serve free beer and food. They also encourage you to join sports on campus and you can go at any time during work hours to do whatever you want, may it be working out, volleyball, on a run, chat with people, get food, they don't care just have fun. The general thought is you can do whatever you want as long as your happy and you're getting your work done. You pretty much only HAVE to be in the office when you have meetings. Great benefits in and outside of the work place.

Cons

Since people are so free to do what they want its hard to deal with everyone schedules. There's a lot of smart but very arrogant and hard headed people - dealing with them can be very difficult and sometimes its hard to get what you want done. Lots of politics in the management.

10. Love it; Microsoft culture is healthy and promotes growth.

Current Intern - Explore Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Current Intern - Explore Intern in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat interns very well; it's what you make of the internship and managers are very helpful and willing to share.

Cons

You have to fix your eyes on inspiring people because there are some interns who will pull you to slack off.

Advice to Management

Perhaps treat interns more similarly to the full time employees so that we get a feel for what full time would be like

11. It was awesome.

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot. Worked with great people.

Cons

Project scope is sometimes too small.

Advice to Management

N/A

Showing 63 of 10,967 reviews