Microsoft

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 7,559 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 675 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 886 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 474 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 367 reviews)

7,559 Employee Reviews

negative environment, growth opportunities are slowing down

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

Proswork-life balance, benefits, stock options, challenging work environment

ConsWorst place for a SDET
    All SDET's fear to eventually going to get fired / lay-off
    Dev's mostly are arrogant depending on team, and treat SDET's as 2nd class citizens
    The environment currently is extremely negative after Nadella started laying off people

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of employees, treat them well. and be honest about your vision.
    If employees are not happy, they can't be productive.

Dog eat dog work ethics

Program Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBig company. Good pay and benefits.

ConsToo much politics. The people you work with will be smart; but good luck finding good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at the motives of your mid level management.

Great Brand

Manager (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsCompany benefits, medical, stocks, perks & hike

ConsDepends on which Org you work. No job security, you are under the mercy of your immediate manager for your growth. Internal job postings are total eye wash, fixed before hand. please your managers for better rating is the mantra

Advice to Senior ManagementStart looking at the org that delivers your customer support

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never ever join as a vendor for Microsoft GTSC

Support Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsLearning is good and one would get lot of Exposure

ConsYou would be treated like a third world citizen if you join Microsoft as a vendor. You will always have to be in your managers good book if you want to save your job, performance does not matter. They will not even give you the to settle down.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management should rethink of there strategy that vendor are also human and they are also working as pro actively as FTE are so why there is a discrepancy.

Stay Away

Senior Market Research Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay, and benefits are good

ConsAwful culutre, that is disorganized. No empowerment to make decisions. Coming from other Fortune 50 companies, you are given less responsibility than interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain middle management, because you have a people who are managers who do not develop people or empower them

A Dying Company

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere isn't a lot. The overall package is perhaps a little over market. The health insurance used to be excellent, but has since been abandoned.

ConsThis company has failed in almost every way it could. With its stack ranking system it aggressively pitted its own people against each other and wholly sacrificed any software company's most critical asset - cooperation. Amazingly, in their greed to squeeze out more productivity, senior management failed to predict that this would happen. This is supposedly a company of exceptionally bright people, and yet management could not predict something as obvious as that? Along with cooperation, they lost morale, enthusiasm, innovation and team spirit. Working for Microsoft is like being in the Mafia, where every team and every individual is looking to take each other out. This is a verbatim quote from my former manager: "When you talk to someone from {Team X}, smile, but hold a knife behind your back". Those two teams, which needed to work closely together to achieve any modicum of success, were locked in an epic WAR which was dysfunctional, ultimately laughable, and most of all *typical* at Microsoft. Neither side shared an ounce of information about their system, critically needed for the other side to integrate their software into, and the result was an execution failure as absolute as the disregard for the final product that each contributor shared. Like a Big Brother-style reality TV series, Microsoft brings out the worst in people, and not surprisingly, in the software they need to produce as a team. Also, do not think that you will be able to innovate at Microsoft. They talk (read: lie) a big game about innovation, but the fate of new ideas is that they take a long (several years), winding and highly political campaign path and ultimately always end in the trash bin. Unless, of course, Google releases the same idea in the meantime, then there might be a chance. Why? Because Microsoft does not innovate. It never has. Its MO is "embrace and extend". Wait for others to invent, copy the successful inventions with more resources, and try to steal those inventions away from others. The other great failure of this company was not to recognize that that model could only have success in the slow-moving 20th century. I remember being brought into an all-hands meeting where it was explained to us that we need not worry about Google's acquisition of YouTube. Now that we've seen its success, we were told that Microsoft was going to come into the market second and trounce the competition, as it always does, with its new product "MSN Soapbox". Yea, OK. Has anyone ever heard of that? If you work at Microsoft, you will be told that they want you to innovate, but it is literally only an internal propaganda campaign. Lying to the troops ultimately does not inspire them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy primary advice to senior management is this: If you have been there during the bulk of the company's "lost decade" then you should resign - in shame. How does a company that dominates the market of software, with a billion in revenue and hundreds of millions in the bank, that owns the OS of 90% of computers on earth, with a solid grasp on the hearts and minds of computer enthusiasts worldwide, coming into the 21st century in which the synergy of computers and the internet are about to create a new technical revolution even bigger than the last - the industrial revolution, lose all of that, and barely register a blip next to the century's new giants Google, Apple, Amazon and Facebook? It isn't easy. It takes so much more than severe incompetence. It takes a profound human failure. It takes the conscious choice of greed over vision, of profit over your people, of internal competition over cooperation, of theft over innovation, of lying over being candid with your employees and the outside world. After the Vanity Fair article "How Microsoft Lost its Mojo" exposed the failure of the stack ranking system, Microsoft officially abandoned it. Forgetting for a moment what it says about the caliber of senior management that it takes its advice from Vanity Fair, it was a good move. They really should have come up with that on their own. But it is too little too late. The damage has been done. If you are newly-employed management and you genuinely want to change things, then place cooperation and true innovation at the core of your values, and it is possible that Microsoft will escape the fate of IBM, whose PE ratio incidentally hovers right around that of Microsoft's today.

Microsoft China

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

ProsGood pay. Some really good co-workers.

ConsReally bad management. No idea how to lead or make any decisions. Really frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together in China.

Everyone must be an expert in everything

Senior Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe stock didn't drop too much

ConsSkills are only valued when they come in a bundle

Advice to Senior ManagementSplit the company up

A waste of time and effort.

"Network Engineer" (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsBrilliant co-workers. I must enter five words.

ConsI was encouraged to work off the clock, in fact everyone was.
    They exclude contractors and treat them like dirt.
    I was told my contract would be direct hire, then they told a manager indefinite and later told me contract for a year, and kept shortening the time for all the vendors.
    My manager said to me angrily the only reason he hired me was because I said I worked all the time.
    I was given well more work than 40 hours could complete.
    All of the vendor contracts suddenly went from contract to hire to contract only, I expressed concern over this and I was terminated. It would have saved you money to provide coaching and keep me with my valuable skills than terminate me because of sexism and ignorance.
    The new hire vendor paperwork I was required to do partly only worked on Chrome.
    Political battles extreme.
    No seating, my desk was on a bookshelf.
    Departmental parties held in the main lobby, I got pizza and later it was mentioned that I shouldn't have.
    Do you know one of your network engineers has a script ran on network devices called SecretStripper? How is that professional?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet both sides of the story and stop wasting company funds with termination, do coaching and training. Treat your vendors like human beings. I was lied to since day 1. Treat your women better (stop excluding them from team lunches etc) and encourage diversity. Vendors are people too.

Being a TAM in Fargo is a nightmare

Technical Account Manager (Former Employee) Fargo, ND

ProsNothing I could think of other than the ability to work from home one day every week, but nowadays most companies adopt this work-life strategy

ConsI worked in the Core team for a little over a year and couldn't stay longer. I'm still questioning the benefit of a TAM for businesses unless they are large-scale companies. Core TAMs deal with small accounts, and pretty much 99% of the things they do are remote. You're asked to grow accounts and get surveys filled out while having minimal interaction with your customers. The team of people I worked with wasn't all that great. The manager sucked. Add to that the pain of living in a city like Fargo. MS' cafeteria seems to repeat the same kinds of food over and over. There aren't many career growth options in Fargo, especially if you are in the Core team. If you are lucky, you can get a TAM role outside of ND. If you aren't, you should be looking for opportunities elsewhere. Pay wasn't that great either. Most job responsibilities of a Core TAM are redundant. If you are a customer, you could easily talk to support engineers without looping in your TAM. Other tasks can be easily automated with software.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!