Microsoft

3.6 7,028 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,028 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Microsoft contractor Games Publishing

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)
Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for less than a year

ProsVery good working environment, friendly and brought in as part of the team. More so then many other contracts. Easy to get along with etc.

ConsStill not actual employee so many events/perks didn't apply, overseas travel with 70+ hour weeks while there. a- contracts require a 100 break after a year

Advice to Senior Managementbe sure contractors are actually being talked to by their agencies. a- contracts suck try to avoid them and v- or hire as much as possible

Great if you're into playing the political game

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits. Most teams have a reasonable work-life-balance approach (some to not). Great amenities and environment.

ConsA high number of the managers are not good people managers - they are in the role because they are technically excellent etc., but unfortunately that doesn't translate to knowing how to manage and motivate teams. Way too political.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should consider whether people know how to manage people before promoting them into team lead roles

Great Dynamic place to work. No paucity of resources.

Technical Project Manager (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEmpowerment. Enablement. Great teams full of bright people. Managers are efficient and proactive. Good salary and benefits. great exposure to projects.

ConsArrogant central staff. Bureaucratic & Autocratic function. Company within a company mentality in Delhi. Managers do very little to resolve the Delhi roadblocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a page from the experiences of Microsoft Redmond - especially with the way money payments and requisitions for projects are handled in a smooth transparent manner.

No surprises if you've worked for a big company.

Senior Network Architect (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

ProsThey have most quality of life things figured out, good benefits, good work-life balance, good folks to work with (very few jerks) and there is a solid technical track that doesn't push you to become a manager to advance. If anything, technical chops are more appreciated than managerial sway.

ConsVery process oriented, very large bureaucracy, so unless you know who can help, it takes very long to navigate.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to transition from a won't consider it for employees or customers if it is "Not invented here" mentality to supporting cross-platform online services because that is what your customers are doing.

Support employees by putting fewer restrictions on their work tools (ie. should not have to use Outlook or Lync if they are proprietary, which they are, when there are standards based alternatives that Microsoft could support -- ie. Firefox, SIP+ENUM)

Once great, now declining

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits
Includes a stay fit program, you get $800 to spend every year on health activities
Global company enables to build relationships around the world
Good salary

ConsCulture is changing from creative go get it to what does my boss think
If you are outside of Redmond and your team is there, it is hard to evolve in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many re-orgs affect career development, too many managers, poor manager-employee relationship when you are remote.

Great if you are in Seattle, but engineering in the bay area is not the place to be

Principal Program Manager (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSmart people, good benefits, stability. There is a fair amount of variety in the bay area but nothing like what there is in Seattle of course.

ConsIn my experience, teams are all very interdependent which means everyone has to agree to get anything done. Not super nimble. More talking than doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring in partners in the bay area and grow the people that are there. It feels like there is no future down here. Pretty much all Bay Area partners were hired in.

Great work life balance

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat work life balance, personal office space

Consless career advance opportunity, nothing else that i can think of

Great Company to Start Out With

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsGreat internship opportunities! You are able to get a great background with this amazing experience at Microsoft. It is just amazing!!

ConsMaybe, hard to be selected.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Challenging, but rewarding position

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIt is well established global company that is the leader in its field. You will find some of the brightest minds in the world working here. The experience will help you wherever you decide to go with your career.

ConsAs a large company goes, it can be quite overwhelming to work here. And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance. But, if you can manage it, you will be fine.

Perfect place to work at

Principal Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAt Microsoft, you get to work on cutting edge technologies and compensation is more than satisfactory. Maintaining a work-life balance is completely possible. Time off is ample and health benefits are among the best ones offered in the industry even with the recent changes due to spiraling costs. What you do can affect literally millions of people and you have the opportunity to bring about change for the better.

ConsIf you are aiming to become a multimillionaire fast, Microsoft is not the place to work at. (OTOH if you've actually matured into a multi-dimensional person, you realize that you can have a fulfilling life and career at the same time and Microsoft is one of the better places to do that).

The constant second-guessing by the industry wears you down. Work politics can make your life hard but the feeling is that it's going to be much better -- and much more different -- with Satya.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your engineers.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,028 reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.